CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Manual owners - Skip Shift Eliminator? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3045685-manual-owners-skip-shift-eliminator.html)

LPT2011 04-25-2012 10:46 PM

Absolutely the best mod for the cheapest price ever. :woohoo:

No way does this void any warranty ... the 1 - 4 is ONLY there to meet government mandated mileage standards - (f*^#ing worthless reg). Anyone, I mean ANYONE that puts a skip shift in will FEEL the difference right away. :D The 1 - 4 is a total BS add on that is NOT designed into ANY part of the engineering of a manual transmission. :smash:

incabird 04-25-2012 10:46 PM

The CAGS eliminator was the first modification I did to my car. I would not be without it. My wife did not like the CAGS either.

velomaxx 04-26-2012 12:18 AM

I drive in major east coast traffic a lot, and I rarely encounter this, and when it does pop up I either accelerate through it or just coast down. Besides, I figure if I did shift into 4th, which I have never done from 1st, then what's the difference? If I am going that slow, with that little throttle, how could it make a difference? If more acceleration was needed then it wouldn't pop up in the first place. It also seems very hard to force itinto the wrong gear. Under the gentle driving conditions when it does come up I am not jamming the shifter around anyway.

DJSpeece 04-26-2012 08:31 AM

I installed the CAGS after one year of driving my 2010 Vette. I wanted to see if it was really worth it. Before the install I simply wound it out a bit more in 1st in order to avoid the skip shift; it was not a huge deal but there were times when it was annoying, so after a year's trial without CAGS I installed it, and my life will never be the same (j/k). I'm glad I did it.

TLS_Addict 04-26-2012 09:11 AM

I have had it happen maybe 10 times in the few months I have been driving my Vette.....there is so much torque that I just put it in 3rd gear.

The other thing I have done and did it in my M6 GTO was Move the shifter to the right and back to the left and it will go in to 2nd gear.

GSRANDY 04-26-2012 09:48 AM

Unquestionably installing the CAGS Eliminator is a must do mod.

When I pull back on the shifter, I know 2nd gear is where I'm going to end up.

Regards,

GSRANDY

bud miller 04-26-2012 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Flies Lo (Post 1580640862)
When I ordered my '10 GS, I was thinking I might need the skipshift eliminator, but after driving the car for almost two years now, I see no need for it...it never interrupts my shifting...

my 09 is the same way...earlier yrs the skip shift was a lot more intrusive...gm 6 speeds from 96-till 06 that i owned , i definitely did the eliminate...

Tigershark3 04-26-2012 09:57 AM

CAGS eliminator was my first mod... that 1-4 skip shift is annoying. :thumbs:

Wayne O 04-26-2012 10:02 AM

The skip-shift feature was defeated in my car via tuning when I replaced the engine. It was annoying when it engaged but for the year I drove the car in its stock configuration the skip-shift feature only engaged 2 or 3 times. Everyone has their own 'style' of driving but I think you're driving the car too conservatively. I'd recommend getting rid of the skip-shift feature but IMO with 'normal' driving it rarely, if ever, engages.

Jimmy C-6 04-26-2012 10:03 AM

For those that have done the fuse, is it in the same place for all years? What is the code in the fuse box?

biskitman 04-26-2012 10:52 AM

Been using the blown fuse for 4 years, no CEL at all and I grin each time I see 1-4 light up and I shift to 2nd!

6spdC6 04-26-2012 11:26 AM

If you drive the car right you do not need that gizmo.

I have had 1 97 SS Camaro (had it put on by dealer before the car left the lot as I had read it was needed)

Since then bough 3 Vettes 98 05 07 and found it was not needed.

Seadawg 04-26-2012 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by arcticblast (Post 1580640875)
In slow traffic around town, the skip shift can be a nuisance. I used the smart fuse method.....works great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-one-yet.html

See post #3 on this link.

I did this too, works like a charm on mine. It will still show the "1 - 4" yellow light on the dash, but will shift to 2nd.

need-for-speed 04-26-2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict (Post 1580655445)
I have had it happen maybe 10 times in the few months I have been driving my Vette.....there is so much torque that I just put it in 3rd gear.

The other thing I have done and did it in my M6 GTO was Move the shifter to the right and back to the left and it will go in to 2nd gear.

Why would you want to have to go to all of that trouble ?

I often wonder if those who go to all of that trouble to manipulate throttle angle (or the shifter) even know how to install the CAGS eliminator?

For $3 or $25, why wouldn't you want to give yourself the ability to decide which gear and throttle angle you want ?

Brian Buck 04-27-2012 01:40 AM

Put some RPMs on each gear change and you don't need to worry about no skip shift eliminator. I thought that's how the vette was meant to be driven.

TLS_Addict 04-27-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by need-for-speed (Post 1580662273)
Why would you want to have to go to all of that trouble ?

I often wonder if those who go to all of that trouble to manipulate throttle angle (or the shifter) even know how to install the CAGS eliminator?

For $3 or $25, why wouldn't you want to give yourself the ability to decide which gear and throttle angle you want ?

That is alot of trouble to you? Good lord.....for the FEW times it happens it is not a big deal. I CAN decide, for that 1 second extra of shift time you think it really matters? At that speed you are not racing so the amount of time lost means nothing. The other thing is that I can notice the light come on (even while watching the road) and give a little more gas and guess what home slice? I can shift in to 2nd. :)

Its not THAT critical/important to me to have the CAGS eliminator at this time and it may never be. My GTO I never put one in and my 94 Vette was bypassed. I can install one just fine thank you very much.

I have swapped engines, transmissions, rear ends, tore down engines....etc so I am sure that wouldnt be much of a task. I love how you imply that because people havent done it that they cant. :crazy2:

TLS_Addict 04-27-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Buck (Post 1580663493)
Put some RPMs on each gear change and you don't need to worry about no skip shift eliminator. I thought that's how the vette was meant to be driven.

I have to say that part of me agrees with this but the other part sees the Corvette like a fine looking/performing woman. Yes, its great to go out and take the corners hard, hit top speed in every gear, hear the roar of the engine and make her scream but if you do it every day and every time you will ruin it. :) Sometimes its best to just sit back and enjoy the ride and even if she doesnt have "heads up display" you can look down and play with the buttons.

jimmyb 04-27-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1580656838)
If you drive the car right you do not need that gizmo.

I have had 1 97 SS Camaro (had it put on by dealer before the car left the lot as I had read it was needed)

Since then bough 3 Vettes 98 05 07 and found it was not needed.

:iagree:

I have had 4 corvettes with CAGS (1998,2001,2005,2008), in all the time with those cars, I have had a CAGS intrusion maybe 10 times. I am no hotrod, in my experience, you have to drive the car unbelievably SLOW to get CAGS involved. There again, there are guys on here that get 30,000 miles out of Goodyear runflats....I've never made 20,000!

car2fast4you 04-27-2012 02:25 PM

My dealer installed it for me at the same time they installed the Borla exhaust.
The 1-4 skip shift drives me nuts.
I had the same issue with my '98 Firebird Formula.

bud miller 04-27-2012 04:03 PM

with the mz6 trans in my 09 c6, 1st gear is a 2:97..you will seldom hit the skip shift under normal driving...my older vettes it was intrusive..but not on the newer models with the MZ6 trans...its only from 1st to 2nd.. the skip shift does not interfer with any other gear changes...i find there are few mods that i'm gonna do, other than tires...that seems to make the most performance bang for my buck.....
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...DSCI0103-2.jpg
bud :)