CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Should Corvette Split from Chevy? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3012028-should-corvette-split-from-chevy.html)

michaelinmech 03-02-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Red (Post 1580169535)
I have been saying for YEARS that the Vette belongs with the Caddy
dealers!!

:thumbs:

Just like they brought Hummer into the Caddy dealers - worked well for Hummer . . . . . .er . . . .never mind :leaving:

gsgold 03-02-2012 07:49 PM

Should Corvette Split from Chevy?

It should move from Chevy to Cadillac. In my opinion Chevy dealerships can't handle the difference between an 18K car and one that sells for 67K. Cadillac already has the price range and could deal with a corvette buyer and owner. They could also keep the proper skill mix to work on the car as well. I just don't think Corvette is the right fit for Chevy.
My opinion...

Scifisid

michaelinmech 03-02-2012 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by schmegeggie (Post 1580169259)
What are people smoking?
First a thread posting "How much money do you earn?" and now this stupid question.
WTF?:crazy2:

Maybe in the interest of time and energy conservation we could combine these thoughts:

"What are you smoking to think you earn enough money to buy a corvette from a separate specialty dealer?" :ack:

jackhall99 03-02-2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut (Post 1580167863)
It would be a good idea if: GM were planning on truly expanding the marque into 2-3 different cars. .... Otherwise, I wouldn't think it would be viable as a stand alone brand.

:iagree: I've posted something similar before.

The old Solstice as an entry level "Corvette", in both coupe and roadster. Sound like the Boxster and Cayman?

The old Fiero for the mid rear model.

The CTS-V as the four door sedan.

The various C6 models as currently exists, ala the 911s.

And in many years, if GM lets everything alone, Corvette might be another Porsche brand.

Otherwise, leave it as a Chevy. :cheers:

jackhall99 03-02-2012 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scifisid (Post 1580170062)
... I just don't think Corvette is the right fit for Chevy.
My opinion...

Where have you been for the past 59 years? :crazy:

shawnvettefan 03-02-2012 10:47 PM

YES!!! !!!!

Besides the Corvette will not be on it's own, it will still be under GM's Umbrella. And it's not like Chevrolet is such a reputable nameplate. They have been making mostly garbage cars from the mid 70's up to fairly recently (not counting the C5 & C6).

They want to attract younger buyers (under 50) and most people under 50 do not remember or not around for Chevys golden days.

Lose the "Chevy" stimga and move the car more upmarket with better dealer experience, warranty, quality, etc.

Dixiecrat 03-02-2012 11:02 PM

My 2 cents on the matter is YES I think Corvette should Split, quit, run away from and hide from Chevy and GM. America is pissed at GM over the bail out. Im 64 years old and a lot of my friends have been loyal GM buyers their whole lives. A lot of em driving Lincolns now. The union and GM will bust themselfs as soon as Obama is out of office and their gravy train ends ! Corvette will do just fine on its own !

HOXXOH 03-02-2012 11:36 PM

Spreading yourself too thin is what got GM into trouble financially. Building the same car with a slightly different dress and sticking a division label on it for 3 or 4 seperate dealerships could only last for a while.

A return to basics allowed survival.

In 1950 GM had 6 brands. Each had a general price point and a few models within a narrow range that were mostly just trim packages.

50 years later, they had 8 brands with prices all over the map in each division. Models galore were duplicated at each division's dealerships.

Meanwhile, Chrysler was slowly killing brands, but still crossbreeding models. And Ford spread out initially before simply combining brands.

IMHO, GM should drop Buick, the small GMC truck line, the big Chevrolet truck line, and bring back the Sky platform as a lower priced Chevy sports model. A return of the Cadillac Eldorado only as a vert on the Camaro platform and 500+HP might not be a bad idea either.

Vette_Pilot 03-05-2012 08:26 AM

With unemployment and gas prices being what they are, how in the world can anyone expect to afford a $100,000.00 car that burns premium? If the Vette is separated from GM the price per unit would go up because of the lack of support and cost controls of being part of a larger company. I don't think that Vettes can stand alone in this day and age!! :willy: :ack: :hide:

FortMorganAl 03-05-2012 08:46 AM

So the IB staff wants to boost readership at CF by asking questions but they don't care how dumb the question might be? I guess that's OK. Hey, it got me to click on it.

tim414 03-05-2012 08:51 AM

Should Vette split from Chevy?

For brand ID YES. For performance perspective Yes.

Cost spread out among all the Chevy lin-up? YES.

From cost basis, I think it might cost GM MORE to have it a specfic brand. We know how well 2-seater performance cars sell when in economy we have been experiencing. It could definitely come under scrut of the bean counters and want to chop it during bad economic times as we have experienced.

gsgold 03-05-2012 08:51 AM

I'm surprised most people arn't siding with moving the Vette with Cadilac. We need to have at least a four year warranty and the proper service for a high end sports car.

Scifisid

fyreline 03-05-2012 09:25 AM

Splitting the Corvette off from Chevrolet would doom it within five years. It isn't going to happen.

su8pack1 03-05-2012 09:35 AM

No.

boraxman 03-05-2012 09:37 AM

Went with NO

Turbo6TA 03-05-2012 09:44 AM

Voting Yes or No ... This thread will accomplish absolutely nothing

Jimmy W1 03-05-2012 10:04 AM

I don't think it would have been any different than Saturn. (For the first several years my company, AK Steel was the sole supplier of steel to Saturn). Saturn was supposedly on it's own but was still owned by GM. Same thing.

ohmy 03-05-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by PaulB (Post 1580167693)
I dont think the Corvette would make it on its own. For 60 years its been a Chevrolet, so why change.

bc Corvette owners are tired of of getting their cars damaged everytime they take in in for service at the local CHEVY dealer...

Daekwan06 03-05-2012 10:53 AM

Why?

What could the Corvette possibly gain from splitting. Its been produced by Chevy for the past 60 years, it uses all Chevy parts and its always been Chevrolet's flagship vehicle.

ohmy 03-05-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1580190894)
Why?

What could the Corvette possibly gain from splitting. Its been produced by Chevy for the past 60 years, it uses all Chevy parts and its always been Chevrolet's flagship vehicle.

it might gain a qualified service department !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dry-sump.html

:(