C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overfilled my 2011 GS Dry Sump

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer overfilled my 2011 GS Dry Sump

Had my first ever oil change (4500 miles) and the dealer overfilled the car and pulled it out to deliver it to me. The car looked like it was on fire there was so much smoke! They took it back drained some oil and test drove it. When i took it home i looked and the whole intake including inside the intake manifold was soaked with oil. After 3 returns to get it "clean" i was finally fed up and settled for "clean enough" There was no more dripping oil but it was coated pretty bad. Question now is what do i do? Will there be lingering effects? Do i go back to the dealer and demand more?

Any advice would be great i feel like my new toy has been molested.

Car is a 2011 GS Coupe with M6
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM
stargate
Instructor

Never go back to that dealer....hope it was free!

Originally Posted by johnnymotz27
Had my first ever oil change (4500 miles) and the dealer overfilled the car and pulled it out to deliver it to me. The car looked like it was on fire there was so much smoke! They took it back drained some oil and test drove it. When i took it home i looked and the whole intake including inside the intake manifold was soaked with oil. After 3 returns to get it "clean" i was finally fed up and settled for "clean enough" There was no more dripping oil but it was coated pretty bad. Question now is what do i do? Will there be lingering effects? Do i go back to the dealer and demand more?

Any advice would be great i feel like my new toy has been molested.

Car is a 2011 GS Coupe with M6
Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow..................just WOW. A certified GM Dealer Service Center that performs an oil change on your Corvette and they don't know what they're doing???????????? I would go to the service manager again, I'm sure you have talked to him about this issue his service department did, and demand, DEMAND, lifetime oil changes, and any related work done to your Corvette that may have been the result of their total lack of knowledge about servicing your engine with a simple to read and understand service instructions on changing oil in a dry sump oil system, done free to you. Also write a letter explaining what they did to the the Service Department Manager and Dealership Owner so your concern is on record.

Good luck, but I can't think of any good think the result of their overfilling the oil system and making the engine receive excess oil pressurization due to their mistake.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stargate
Never go back to that dealer....hope it was free!
I agree.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

I am absolutely going to contact the dealership owner. I did not get a refund they did not offer and i guess i SHOULD have been more forceful during the event, i guess that is a fault of my personality. As the days go by i am getting more worked up over it though. So hopefully the letter will help.

The worst part is not knowing if there was any damage done. There are A LOT of miles left to live with this car and i do not want to always be thinking about that.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I am absolutely going to contact the dealership owner. I did not get a refund they did not offer and i guess i SHOULD have been more forceful during the event, i guess that is a fault of my personality. As the days go by i am getting more worked up over it though. So hopefully the letter will help.

The worst part is not knowing if there was any damage done. There are A LOT of miles left to live with this car and i do not want to always be thinking about that.
Try and make them give you an extended warranty for free. After a person spends that kind of money you shouldn't have to worry about $hit like this. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

GO to another shop and have it inspected ASAP--NO more driving until you do.
Have the engine "beauty" cover pulled...did they pull/remove/break the SEALED engine oil cap (NOT used with dry sump engines).....you need to know that...then have the inspecting dealer DRAIN all the oil properly- take a jug or two--measure how much was in the engine. Then have a new oil change done.

If they did 'break' that sealed oil cap you will want that replaced. I would want to document what happened with GM (not just the dealer) in case of engine failure in the future (near or far).
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

Thats my biggest concern right now i don't know exactly what happened. When i repeatedly asked all i got was "It was over filled" . I called GM and they got back to me with "The dealership is taking care of the issue and your car will be ready by tomorrow" I currently own 3 GM vehicles and have had countless camaros/firebirds and corvettes. Is there a better way to get a response from GM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,273 Posts

How did they over fill it?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, when you overfill the dry sump and start the car, the excess oil will get pushed out of the dry sump into the hard line that runs from the dry sump to your air bridge fitting, right into the intake. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
GO to another shop and have it inspected ASAP--NO more driving until you do.
Have the engine "beauty" cover pulled...did they pull/remove/break the SEALED engine oil cap (NOT used with dry sump engines).....you need to know that...then have the inspecting dealer DRAIN all the oil properly- take a jug or two--measure how much was in the engine. Then have a new oil change done.

If they did 'break' that sealed oil cap you will want that replaced. I would want to document what happened with GM (not just the dealer) in case of engine failure in the future (near or far).
You can pull the beauty cover yourself to check the plastic cap. No need to take it anywhere. An inspection now probably will not show much but over time he may get oil leaks. If you don't see any oil leaks before the 5/100 warranty runs out any you get afterwards are probably due to something else. I wouldn't worry about the oil that went into the intake, it will clean out and the little bit that went into the cylinders will not hurt them. They probably have a bay manned by a low level employee who does nothing but oil changes and didn't realize the car was any different than any other car. Most likely put the recommended number of quarts in the tank and then checked the oil without going through the proper warm up and wait sequence so saw a low oil level and added more oil.

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

Originally Posted by OnPoint
How did they over fill it?
They claim the tech put 11 quarts into the sump instead of the required 10.5. Would a half quart do this? There was actually oil dripping off the roof of the intake manifold and more black smoke than you could imagine coming out of the exhaust.

ECS installed headers and a vararam for me and dyno tuned. I wondering if i should bring it to them to have it dynoed again to see if there are any issues.

Last edited by johnnymotz27; 03-04-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Changed ESC to ECS
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You can pull the beauty cover yourself to check the plastic cap. No need to take it anywhere. An inspection now probably will not show much but over time he may get oil leaks. If you don't see any oil leaks before the 5/100 warranty runs out any you get afterwards are probably due to something else. I wouldn't worry about the oil that went into the intake, it will clean out and the little bit that went into the cylinders will not hurt them. They probably have a bay manned by a low level employee who does nothing but oil changes and didn't realize the car was any different than any other car. Most likely put the recommended number of quarts in the tank and then checked the oil without going through the proper warm up and wait sequence so saw a low oil level and added more oil.

Bill
Is it easy to tell if that valve cover cap has been removed?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,273 Posts

They claim the tech put 11 quarts into the sump instead of the required 10.5. Would a half quart do this? There was actually oil dripping off the roof of the intake manifold and more black smoke than you could imagine coming out of the exhaust.

ECS installed headers and a vararam for me and dyno tuned. I wondering if i should bring it to them to have it dynoed again to see if there are any issues.

No. A half quart will not do that. They are lying to you. I wonder if they drained it right, and how many quarts they actually put in.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnPoint
No. A half quart will not do that. They are lying to you. I wonder if they drained it right, and how many quarts they actually put in.
Almost sounds like they didn't drain the dry sump.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

Originally Posted by rayk
Almost sounds like they didn't drain the dry sump.
That was my first thought. The dry sump was also covered in oil and i had to clean up the whole area.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

No excuse for what occurred.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer overfilled my 2011 GS Dry Sump

Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
johnnymotz27
Advanced

Anyone agree with having the car run on the dyno again to compare?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Is it easy to tell if that valve cover cap has been removed?
It isn't made for removal. I suspect that if it was taken off it would be pretty well scraped up.

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd wait till you find out if any engine damage has occured. A dyno pull under load to 6500 rpm is not the place to find out some kind of damage has occured. Wait on the dyno run.

Quick Reply: Dealer overfilled my 2011 GS Dry Sump