CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Should Corvette Split from Chevy? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3012028-should-corvette-split-from-chevy.html)

CF Editor 03-02-2012 02:48 PM

Should Corvette Split from Chevy?

Read it here:Should Corvette Split off from Chevrolet?

Before the pitchforks and flamethrowers come out, know that this sentiment allegedly came from GM's ex-president Ron Zarella circa 2001. The article gives more reasons why he was entertaining the thought even though we, obviously, know what his decision was.

Before writing it off a split as impossible and disastrous, it's worth it to look at what Dodge is doing with the Viper and their SRT brand. Food for thought, as it were.

Vette_DD 03-02-2012 03:10 PM

The question has been asked here before, but not as a poll. Might get a few new answers, but I'm pretty sure I know how this one will go.

arcticblast 03-02-2012 03:13 PM

Not without our own bailout.

mcandrew67 03-02-2012 03:14 PM

The way to go if you want to get rid of the Corvette.....

PaulB 03-02-2012 03:22 PM

I dont think the Corvette would make it on its own. For 60 years its been a Chevrolet, so why change.

michaelinmech 03-02-2012 03:22 PM

As JimTN, Moderator said - the topic has been worn out on this forum. Not that's it's a bad topic for discussion, it's just a matter of 'been there done that'.

Do a search for lots of opinions !!

As before, I vote a loud resounding NO

WAwatchnut 03-02-2012 03:43 PM

It would be a good idea if: GM were planning on truly expanding the marque into 2-3 different cars. And by cars I don't mean one body style with various engines and body panels, but actual different cars to hit different buyer segments. Otherwise, I wouldn't think it would be viable as a stand alone brand.

2vette2 03-02-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by PaulB (Post 1580167693)
I dont think the Corvette would make it on its own. For 60 years its been a Chevrolet, so why change.

:iagree:

JoesC5 03-02-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut (Post 1580167863)
It would be a good idea if: GM were planning on truly expanding the marque into 2-3 different cars. And by cars I don't mean one body style with various engines and body panels, but actual different cars to hit different buyer segments. Otherwise, I wouldn't think it would be viable as a stand alone brand.

You mean like adding a 4 door Corvette and a station wagon Corvette and a pickup truck Corvette, and a plug in Corvette so the brand will appeal to enough people to make it viable enough to stand on it's own..

gordonboss 03-02-2012 04:18 PM

Just no. :toetap:

ZRCLONE 03-02-2012 04:58 PM

In a way if it was better for the car and its customers, why not. I think it should always remain a Chevrolet. But if a dealer specialized in Vettes an thats all they knew, it would be a good thing. The Dealer I bought mine from had a "Vette" mechanic, and I trusted him. They have since let him go, its a good thing I have not needed any service cause I probably would not go there now as I have personally had many a problem with Dealer service. After all if you had a Hart problem you wouldnt go to a Gynecologist :D. :flag:

dvilin 03-02-2012 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mcandrew67 (Post 1580167633)

sportcruiser 03-02-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mcandrew67 (Post 1580167633)

I agree.

sportcruiser 03-02-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZRCLONE (Post 1580168511)
In a way if it was better for the car and its customers, why not. I think it should always remain a Chevrolet. But if a dealer specialized in Vettes an thats all they knew, it would be a good thing. The Dealer I bought mine from had a "Vette" mechanic, and I trusted him. They have since let him go, its a good thing I have not needed any service cause I probably would not go there now as I have personally had many a problem with Dealer service. After all if you had a Hart problem you wouldnt go to a Gynecologist :D. :flag:

Some good points, but have you noticed most sales people don't really know their products... especially cars? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I am not sure the specialization would help the sales experience because most sales people just don't seem to be that interested in knowing the details.

schmegeggie 03-02-2012 06:15 PM

What are people smoking?
First a thread posting "How much money do you earn?" and now this stupid question.
WTF?:crazy2:

petermj 03-02-2012 06:19 PM

Viper is no longer Dodge, it is SRT. Seems like vette should assume similar path setting a stage for more performance vehicles at GM.
Two problems though: vette is a total sales flop but way too common for exclusivity and regardless of the designation, the same Mr Goodwrench crew would be servicing them anyway. Seems like a baby step was already made toward this approach by removing the GM chicklets from the later cars:thumbs:

WAwatchnut 03-02-2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1580167893)
You mean like adding a 4 door Corvette and a station wagon Corvette and a pickup truck Corvette, and a plug in Corvette so the brand will appeal to enough people to make it viable enough to stand on it's own..

No, not really... Pretty bad logical leap.

I'm thinking more like Lamborghini or 80's to 90's Porsche (before they decided to become a full line car dealer), or Aston.

How about a model like the current c6 (with a couple engine variants), a high end mid engine version in very low production (like a Ford GT), and maybe a home for the Solstice/sky platform.

The Corvette marque is a sports car - but when I think of sports car, those are the areas I think of (exotic, affordable high performance, and sporty convertible).

But I do think the Fisker would have made a great 4 door Corvette. :D

Big-Red 03-02-2012 06:48 PM

I have been saying for YEARS that the Vette belongs with the Caddy
dealers!!

:thumbs:

Vette_DD 03-02-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by schmegeggie (Post 1580169259)
What are people smoking?
First a thread posting "How much money do you earn?" and now this stupid question.

We've all got to get bored once in awhile. :lol:

But we'll remember this post of yours when you get bored. :rofl:

AORoads 03-02-2012 07:26 PM

even if the new co. could sell 50,000 units per year, it wouldn't be a good idea. only reason that counts to me: because I wouldn't be one of those owners.

and the chances are good that the demographics of who would be the buyers would significantly change in at least one category: money. money to purchase, money to own.

it would therefore, imo, become a car just like all the rest and no matter what others might say, there really are other choices, especially if you take away the value factor.

michaelinmech 03-02-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Red (Post 1580169535)
dealers!!

Just like they brought Hummer into the Caddy dealers - worked well for Hummer . . . . . .er . . . .never mind :leaving:

gsgold 03-02-2012 07:49 PM

Should Corvette Split from Chevy?

It should move from Chevy to Cadillac. In my opinion Chevy dealerships can't handle the difference between an 18K car and one that sells for 67K. Cadillac already has the price range and could deal with a corvette buyer and owner. They could also keep the proper skill mix to work on the car as well. I just don't think Corvette is the right fit for Chevy.
My opinion...

Scifisid

michaelinmech 03-02-2012 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by schmegeggie (Post 1580169259)
What are people smoking?

Maybe in the interest of time and energy conservation we could combine these thoughts:

"What are you smoking to think you earn enough money to buy a corvette from a separate specialty dealer?" :ack:

jackhall99 03-02-2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut (Post 1580167863)
It would be a good idea if: GM were planning on truly expanding the marque into 2-3 different cars. .... Otherwise, I wouldn't think it would be viable as a stand alone brand.

:iagree: I've posted something similar before.

The old Solstice as an entry level "Corvette", in both coupe and roadster. Sound like the Boxster and Cayman?

The old Fiero for the mid rear model.

The CTS-V as the four door sedan.

The various C6 models as currently exists, ala the 911s.

And in many years, if GM lets everything alone, Corvette might be another Porsche brand.

Otherwise, leave it as a Chevy. :cheers:

jackhall99 03-02-2012 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scifisid (Post 1580170062)
... I just don't think Corvette is the right fit for Chevy.
My opinion...

Where have you been for the past 59 years? :crazy:

shawnvettefan 03-02-2012 10:47 PM

YES!!! !!!!

Besides the Corvette will not be on it's own, it will still be under GM's Umbrella. And it's not like Chevrolet is such a reputable nameplate. They have been making mostly garbage cars from the mid 70's up to fairly recently (not counting the C5 & C6).

They want to attract younger buyers (under 50) and most people under 50 do not remember or not around for Chevys golden days.

Lose the "Chevy" stimga and move the car more upmarket with better dealer experience, warranty, quality, etc.

Dixiecrat 03-02-2012 11:02 PM

My 2 cents on the matter is YES I think Corvette should Split, quit, run away from and hide from Chevy and GM. America is pissed at GM over the bail out. Im 64 years old and a lot of my friends have been loyal GM buyers their whole lives. A lot of em driving Lincolns now. The union and GM will bust themselfs as soon as Obama is out of office and their gravy train ends ! Corvette will do just fine on its own !

HOXXOH 03-02-2012 11:36 PM

Spreading yourself too thin is what got GM into trouble financially. Building the same car with a slightly different dress and sticking a division label on it for 3 or 4 seperate dealerships could only last for a while.

A return to basics allowed survival.

In 1950 GM had 6 brands. Each had a general price point and a few models within a narrow range that were mostly just trim packages.

50 years later, they had 8 brands with prices all over the map in each division. Models galore were duplicated at each division's dealerships.

Meanwhile, Chrysler was slowly killing brands, but still crossbreeding models. And Ford spread out initially before simply combining brands.

IMHO, GM should drop Buick, the small GMC truck line, the big Chevrolet truck line, and bring back the Sky platform as a lower priced Chevy sports model. A return of the Cadillac Eldorado only as a vert on the Camaro platform and 500+HP might not be a bad idea either.

Vette_Pilot 03-05-2012 08:26 AM

With unemployment and gas prices being what they are, how in the world can anyone expect to afford a $100,000.00 car that burns premium? If the Vette is separated from GM the price per unit would go up because of the lack of support and cost controls of being part of a larger company. I don't think that Vettes can stand alone in this day and age!! :willy: :ack: :hide:

FortMorganAl 03-05-2012 08:46 AM

So the IB staff wants to boost readership at CF by asking questions but they don't care how dumb the question might be? I guess that's OK. Hey, it got me to click on it.

tim414 03-05-2012 08:51 AM

Should Vette split from Chevy?

For brand ID YES. For performance perspective Yes.

Cost spread out among all the Chevy lin-up? YES.

From cost basis, I think it might cost GM MORE to have it a specfic brand. We know how well 2-seater performance cars sell when in economy we have been experiencing. It could definitely come under scrut of the bean counters and want to chop it during bad economic times as we have experienced.

gsgold 03-05-2012 08:51 AM

I'm surprised most people arn't siding with moving the Vette with Cadilac. We need to have at least a four year warranty and the proper service for a high end sports car.

Scifisid

fyreline 03-05-2012 09:25 AM

Splitting the Corvette off from Chevrolet would doom it within five years. It isn't going to happen.

su8pack1 03-05-2012 09:35 AM

No.

boraxman 03-05-2012 09:37 AM

Went with NO

Turbo6TA 03-05-2012 09:44 AM

Voting Yes or No ... This thread will accomplish absolutely nothing

Jimmy W1 03-05-2012 10:04 AM

I don't think it would have been any different than Saturn. (For the first several years my company, AK Steel was the sole supplier of steel to Saturn). Saturn was supposedly on it's own but was still owned by GM. Same thing.

ohmy 03-05-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by PaulB (Post 1580167693)

bc Corvette owners are tired of of getting their cars damaged everytime they take in in for service at the local CHEVY dealer...

Daekwan06 03-05-2012 10:53 AM

Why?

What could the Corvette possibly gain from splitting. Its been produced by Chevy for the past 60 years, it uses all Chevy parts and its always been Chevrolet's flagship vehicle.

ohmy 03-05-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1580190894)
Why?

What could the Corvette possibly gain from splitting. Its been produced by Chevy for the past 60 years, it uses all Chevy parts and its always been Chevrolet's flagship vehicle.

it might gain a qualified service department !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dry-sump.html

:(

Wayne O 03-05-2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1580167597)
The question has been asked here before, but not as a poll. Might get a few new answers, but I'm pretty sure I know how this one will go.

I'd guess around 90% of the forum topics or questions have been asked before. The place is going to be pretty quiet if nobody repeats a question. :)

Originally Posted by petermj (Post 1580169289)
Viper is no longer Dodge, it is SRT. Seems like vette should assume similar path setting a stage for more performance vehicles at GM.
Two problems though: vette is a total sales flop but way too common for exclusivity and regardless of the designation
, the same Mr Goodwrench crew would be servicing them anyway. Seems like a baby step was already made toward this approach by removing the GM chicklets from the later cars:thumbs:

Besides trying to disassociate Viper from the Dodge brand, Dodge trucks are now Ram trucks. You're right that Corvette sales would not support a stand-alone brand. Also, I'm not so sure having Corvette on its own (in name only) would set the stage for more performance vehicles at GM. Sadly, government is dictating the future of the US auto industry instead of a free market...they try to legislate demand. They do everything possible to insure we're dependent on foreign oil and we pay high fuel prices. While Chevy just laid off workers and temporarily shut down Volt production because people don't want the car, California recently legislated by a certain year 1 of every 7 cars sold must be electric (alternate energy). The government measures "performance" in miles per gallon (or alternate energy)...not in miles per hour. Despite what the people want and despite what the engineers can do short term to enhance real performance the government has targeted high performance vehicles for eradication. The handwriting's on the wall and it starts with the down-sizing of the C7 engine. If Government Motors split-off Corvette they'd probably make the car the flagship for alternate engery...no matter how much it costs taxpayers. :willy:

TBIRD57 03-05-2012 11:06 AM

only

if they expand the line a-la-porsche. more of a boutique dealership i would think.

Daekwan06 03-05-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ohmy (Post 1580190956)
it might gain a qualified service department !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dry-sump.html

:(

Funny you mention that. As there are "certified Corvette technicians" who are supposed to be specially trained for matters like this. I made sure to look for that before choosing a dealer.

Regardless it still provides no excuse for the above happening. Any mechanic even worth half his value, should know how to properly READ and REPLACE the correct amount of fluids in a running engine. That is mechanics 101. It could be anything from 250cc dirtbike to a M1 Abrahms battle tank.

Chevy in general needs to improve its dealership experience and customer service. One shouldnt need to track down excellent service from a particular dealer.. its something that should a given at any GM dealer.. if they are really expecting to retain customers and continue to compete as one of the worlds largest & best brands.

WEBDZYNER 03-05-2012 11:40 AM

Service departments

You do not have to take your Corvette to the Chevrolet service department if that is a reason you want Corvette seperate from Chevrolet. Buy it at the Chevrolet dealer and if you want you can take it to a Cadillac dealership for repair if you want that level of service. They will fix your car there.

jackhall99 03-05-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ohmy (Post 1580190560)
bc Corvette owners are tired of of getting their cars damaged everytime they take in in for service at the local CHEVY dealer...

:bs

There have been some rants on here from some folks, and some damage can occur on any car at any service department on any given day. It does not happens every time they have their car serviced. :willy:

Of the 1.5 million Corvette owners out there, a small number certainly have suffered that fate; the majority have not. :nonod:

I posted somewhere else to come where I live and I will introduce you to the service department staff at our Cadillac dealer. :U

God help you with their work. :cheers:

sportcruiser 03-05-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne O (Post 1580191027)
I'd guess around 90% of the forum topics or questions have been asked before. The place is going to be pretty quiet if nobody repeats a question. :)

Besides trying to disassociate Viper from the Dodge brand, Dodge trucks are now Ram trucks. You're right that Corvette sales would not support a stand-alone brand. Also, I'm not so sure having Corvette on its own (in name only) would set the stage for more performance vehicles at GM. Sadly, government is dictating the future of the US auto industry instead of a free market...they try to legislate demand. They do everything possible to insure we're dependent on foreign oil and we pay high fuel prices. While Chevy just laid off workers and temporarily shut down Volt production because people don't want the car, California recently legislated by a certain year 1 of every 7 cars sold must be electric (alternate energy). The government measures "performance" in miles per gallon (or alternate energy)...not in miles per hour. Despite what the people want and despite what the engineers can do short term to enhance real performance the government has targeted high performance vehicles for eradication. The handwriting's on the wall and it starts with the down-sizing of the C7 engine. If Government Motors split-off Corvette they'd probably make the car the flagship for alternate engery...no matter how much it costs taxpayers. :willy:

Wayne, why would downsizing the engine be a bad thing. If they can produce more power and more efficiency, why isn't that good? If fact, its a very cool engineering challenge. At some point you have to do more than just jam more fuel and air in under pressure.

Like dem Vettes 03-05-2012 04:30 PM

It should be part of the Cadillac brand. The only reason for this would be to get more courteous service. My Chevy dealer treats my Corvette as if it is a beat up pickup truck. Corvettes should be treated as luxury cars. Maybe a Cadillac dealer would exhibit a bit more courtesy and care. Corvettes are the same price as luxury vehicles..

BlueOx 03-05-2012 04:49 PM

I think it is an idea whose time has come. I say this only because the Corvette brand could easily spawn another model or three and Corvette is a very strong brand with a very good history.

I don't think Chevy really helps the Corvette brand anymore. C'mon guys, we're just talking a marketing exercise for the most part anyway and most Chevy dealers could care less about Corvettes. Maybe the dealer service would be better at a Corvette-specific dealer too. Maybe they could be better trained with other cars in the family.

Think of it like Porsche, they could have a small, high-performance group with a Solice/Skye-like small car, the base/Z06/ZR1 cars, a high-end Ferrari FF-like AWD 4-seater, and a Porsche Cayanne-like Corvette SUV. I could see this working, especially in a better economy.

Maybe becoming part of the Caddy brand might be ok too.

XmentalPilot 03-05-2012 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Red (Post 1580169535)
dealers!!

hawkgfr 03-05-2012 06:48 PM

Just heck no.

1993C4LT1 03-05-2012 07:14 PM

No, the Corvette has done good with Chevy, so why change it.

HighPro 03-05-2012 07:38 PM

Corvette does not have the sales to make it on it's own. If it was split from Chevy there are two ways it could turn-out:

1. The price of the car would double or triple

2. There would be no more Corvettes built

rayk 03-05-2012 08:27 PM

No. Never see a corvette again for 39,995 like is posted today.

You all want Porche pricing? Might get a better interior.

The cool thing about a vette is it's the people sports car, not the elites.

jasmin360 03-05-2012 08:35 PM

The Corvette could stand on its had GM gone racing in the 60s due to the back door policy GM had the Corvette couldn't establish itself in international racing. Zora arkus duntov wanted a mid engined Corvette and if he had his way our beloved Corvette wouldn't have needed to wait till 2009 to compete with Ferrari. Case in point you can't seperate Corvette from Chevy because every truck and the camaro SS uses a verision of the lsx platform to seperate the two would cost GM to much money and we all know GM doesn't like that

2006c6keller 03-05-2012 11:15 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, that GM has not put that Bowtie patch on the front or back of the car, that is a real turn off in my mind. I wouldn't feel bad if they would just break away from GM, good riddance. :woohoo:

jackhall99 03-05-2012 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller (Post 1580198085)
... I wouldn't feel bad if they would just break away from GM, good riddance. :woohoo:

Break away from GM? :ack: Don't you want Corvette at all? :eek:

Corvette as a company would last a year! :salute:

FloydSummerOf68 03-06-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot (Post 1580189762)
With unemployment and gas prices being what they are, how in the world can anyone expect to afford a $100,000.00 car that burns premium? If the Vette is separated from GM the price per unit would go up because of the lack of support and cost controls of being part of a larger company. I don't think that Vettes can stand alone in this day and age!! :willy: :ack: :hide:

Not everyone is unemployed or can't afford gas. $100,000 cars sell every day.

Daekwan06 03-06-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rayk (Post 1580196362)
No. Never see a corvette again for 39,995 like is posted today.

You all want Porche pricing? Might get a better interior.

The cool thing about a vette is it's the people sports car, not the elites.

Well said!

The coolest thing about a Vette.. is that so many people can buy one. I'm a pretty hardcore enthusiast.. and a big fan of everything from muscle cars to the Bugatti Veyron. But nothing gets me LESS excited about a car.. than a sticker price that goes completely off the chart and completely out of my budget. Like the GTR which now starts at $96,000!!!

And nothing gets me MORE excited about a car.. than a sticker price thats fairly affordable and something that fits in my budget. Like hearing the new 2014 C7 will start at $50,000. As much as I'd love to own a Ferrari one day.. (and I came seriously close to purchasing one), it still makes more sense to me to get something like the Vette and keep the rest of the money in the bank or use it for other purchases/hobbies.

Bill Dearborn 03-06-2012 10:52 AM

This discussion is based on an idea from a discredited President of GM. He was one of the architects of disaster for GM and from what I heard there was dancing in the halls when he left. Sure dunces have good ideas every now and then but the likelihood is some where between slim and none.

Bill

ohmy 03-06-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1580193448)
:bs

There have been some rants on here from some folks, and some damage can occur on any car at any service department on any given day. It does not happens every time they have their car serviced. :willy:

Of the 1.5 million Corvette owners out there, a small number certainly have suffered that fate; the majority have not. :nonod:

I posted somewhere else to come where I live and I will introduce you to the service department staff at our Cadillac dealer. :U

God help you with their work. :cheers:

From personal experience: Chevy dealer damaged Z28 when lifting car ... Pontiac dealer damaged Solstice when lifting car... when given the tour of the service department (during my GS purchase) there were two Corvettes on the lift both being lifted without enough rocker panel clearance...

yeah, sure, it's rare that they damage cars :crazy2:

moncal90 03-06-2012 04:03 PM

No.. just No don't even consider it.

Just be thankful that most of the morons that destroyed GM are no longer working there.

speedraider 03-06-2012 04:35 PM

Hell to the NO. I used to have a Hummer H2 SUT, the dealer has a monopoly, because there will be one dealer within a hundred miles. And getting it serviced would be hell. The chevrolet dealers wouldn't be allowed to work on them.

parkerracing 03-06-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by moncal90 (Post 1580203643)
Just be thankful that most of the morons that destroyed GM are no longer working there.

They have better morons now. With the exception of #6 you could have made those arguments in 1953./:\

4GS7 03-06-2012 07:47 PM

This assertion that Corvette, on its own, would falter is just ridiculous. Chevy supports the Corvette by selling hundreds of thousands Malibus, Impalas, and Silverados every year. GM could still divert the funds to the Corvette program while creating Corvette specific stores. Honestly, I cringe to think about walking into a Chevy store (most of which have had awful customer service and ignorant salespeople) and spending over 60k. Spending more should get you more. More customer service. More knowledgeable salespeople. More specialized techs.

You spend less than 40k on an IS250 or more than 70 on an LS460, you still get great Lexus customer service. I've dealt with 7 of their dealers and only had issues with two. The worst of them was about the same quality of service that I've received at the Pontiac/GMC/Cadillac dealers I've dealt with. The standards are just higher. I'd like to be able to get that even if I'm buying a GM product, because I'm spending the same or more money. I honestly abhor going to GM dealerships.

VETTEMANN 03-06-2012 10:27 PM

Mr. Chevrolet was originally a race car driver, and favored premium performance cars...

Why doesn't Chevrolet think about celebrating it's racing heritage (e.g. "Nobody Beats The Bow Tie") instead of trying to further distance itself.

Likely a dumb idea from the same person who dreamed up the hot-selling Volt (the car that Obamerica 'had to build')...

:flag:

jackhall99 03-06-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN (Post 1580207548)
.. Why doesn't Chevrolet think about celebrating it's racing heritage (e.g. "Nobody Beats The Bow Tie") instead of trying to further distance itself. ...

:crazy2:

How in God's name to you see Chevrolet "distancing" itself from anything? Can you explain further? :cheers:

2006c6keller 03-06-2012 10:51 PM

Anything could be better.

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1580198298)
Break away from GM? :ack: Don't you want Corvette at all? :eek:

Corvette as a company would last a year! :salute:

Chevy STEALERSHIPS are the problem because GM CONTROLS them. I'm tired of taking simple fixes back three (3) times before they finally fix them SOMEWHAT correctly and your lucky if GM fixes them correctly. My car MAY BE finally repaired after almost four and half (4.5) years; this should have been completed in approximately one year or less. GM has made me really earn the correction of GM problems. :eek:

Ps: After all my problems, anything would be better, sorry 'bout that!

petermj 03-07-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne O (Post 1580191027)

There is no way Viper turns up any profits for Chrysler, uhm Fiat. I think what Fiat did is very clever, not just Viper alone but a high performance sub brand to allow HOPEFULLY for more qualified sales and service personnel and visual distinction from the main brand. Ford has Rousch and SVT, Chrysler has SRT and GM has zip. When Saturn was around, there was Redline and GXP for Pontiac. :ack:

Herrick 03-07-2012 11:56 AM

I like the idea. Then Corvette can make a sedan like the Panamera and an SUV like the Cayenne. Imagine what they might look like. Hmmmmm?

2006c6keller 03-07-2012 05:02 PM

Hmmm!

Originally Posted by Herrick (Post 1580211544)
I like the idea. Then Corvette can make a sedan like the Panamera and an SUV like the Cayenne. Imagine what they might look like. Hmmmmm?

Look like my Honda Odyssey. :ack: :flaghalfmast:

not08crmanymore 03-07-2012 05:10 PM

If it means that they would pay more attention to interior quality then yes.If it mean the mechanics that are designated to work on them might know what the hell they were doing,then yes!

Surf Island 03-08-2012 02:04 PM

GM has been taken over by obama and labor is overpaid so to buy off Union Thugs for obama and evil left.

Bring Corvette here to Texas (right to work state), where they can be built cheaper and better, without subsidizing union thugs.

Unless you want obama to make them all electric and be charged 50% extra so poor people can have a Vette too.

wide one 03-08-2012 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Surf Island (Post 1580222802)
GM has been taken over by obama and labor is overpaid so to buy off Union Thugs for obama and evil left.

Bring Corvette here to Texas (right to work state), where they can be built cheaper and better, without subsidizing union thugs.

Unless you want obama to make them all electric and be charged 50% extra so poor people can have a Vette too.

:iagree: :thumbs:

jimb100 03-08-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN (Post 1580207548)
Mr. Chevrolet was originally a race car driver, and favored premium performance cars...

Why doesn't Chevrolet think about celebrating it's racing heritage (e.g. "Nobody Beats The Bow Tie") instead of trying to further distance itself.

Likely a dumb idea from the same person who dreamed up the hot-selling Volt (the car that Obamerica 'had to build')...

:flag:

Yeah, those electric cars will never catch on. When this world needs more oil, we'll just make more dinasaurs.

sportcruiser 03-08-2012 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jimb100 (Post 1580223229)
Yeah, those electric cars will never catch on. When this world needs more oil, we'll just make more dinasaurs.

Very good Jimb100! I don't know where people get their facts from... the Volt was under development well before Obama was elected and is a fantastic car.

Has anyone on this board seen a Fisker Karma in person? It is gorgeous!

rakuhn 03-08-2012 06:42 PM

WE own the damn company anyway due to bama.

I don't think we can afford any more playing with the company by anyone!

BluegrassMotorsport 03-08-2012 08:00 PM

Absolutely not, under any circumstance.

jackhall99 03-08-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by rakuhn (Post 1580225066)

Obama didn't create the issue, and had the gov't failed to act the repercussions would have been beyond belief, starting with 200,000 people, worldwide, potentially out of work. :ack:

Since you don't know this, let me advise you that the bailout spanned two Presidents, President Bush and President Obama. :yesnod:

sportcruiser 03-08-2012 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by rakuhn (Post 1580225066)

I don't think we can afford any more playing with the company by anyone!

You think the government is us? No my friend. The government stole the company from shareholders (I happened to own some), and now is selling the company to new shareholders. "We" don't own anything.

sportcruiser 03-08-2012 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by parkerracing (Post 1580205680)
They have better morons now. With the exception of #6 you could have made those arguments in 1953./:\

Whenever someone makes a comment like this, I always wonder what great accomplishments they achieved in their lives. Hopefully they created a company that made terrific products and employed many people. The morons at GM are much like the morons at NASA. Everyday they accomplish things most of us never dream of.

wide one 03-09-2012 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by sportcruiser (Post 1580223865)
Very good Jimb100! I don't know where people get their facts from... the Volt was under development well before Obama was elected and is a fantastic car.

Has anyone on this board seen a Fisker Karma in person? It is gorgeous!

I've seen several Fisker's, to bad they don't put a real engine in it. And about the Voltless development before Obozo, your right about that to, rememeber the EV1? Started development some 25 years ago ? You'd demand better results for the money spent if it was your personal company, thats called ROI, we now call it tax payer bailout. Don't forget, the Volt cost north of 75k to produce, so it's acually an 85K car that get 30 miles on a charge, so who makes up the 40K differential ?
I'm glad to see you think the Volts a fantastic car, maybe there's still a ray of hope for those that build it and currently getting to stay at home due to customer demands.
I'll bet you'd be the first to buy a C7 if it had battey pack option. I'm looking for 650HP at 45MPG, and bring back the Heartbeat of America slogan.