CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Anti-Venom 6 Speed Shifter Modification (Procedure) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2906521-anti-venom-6-speed-shifter-modification-procedure.html)

'Shifter 02-01-2014 12:51 PM

Where I'm at:

I've tried with the car in gear and in neutral, tried jiggling the wheels, got my 15/16" deep socket "shimmed" out with an extra nut in there so that the detent bolt threads would be poking out of the socket further. I've tried pressing like hell to get the threads to start, can't even get close.

It just goes to show you, if it works, don't mess with it. Now, it doesn't work at all because of a little bolt. All these pages of how great a mod it is, and leave it to me and my luck that I'm the one with problems. :ack:

chasboy 02-01-2014 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1586066721)
:lurk:

is the car raised?:withstupid::toetap:

of course it is. If it's too high, raise yourself so you can reach easily and relax. I always back turn a screw to get it to seat properly. Take it down, make sure the threads are squeaky clean and free of anything but a light amt. of lube. When you are having trouble threading something blind, by feel, you must have good relaxed positioning so you can back it out and get it seated. Make sure the area around it and the internal threads are as clean as you can get them. It will go...remember it once was in there!!:thumbs:

'Shifter 02-01-2014 01:09 PM

Yeah, it's raised. It's at the right height to be able to fit under, and still work on it. I can reach it just fine. I've tried going away for a few minutes to cool down....heck, I just took my heart meds, and now I'm staying away for a little bit. It just seems ridiculous...can something move while that plug is out causing my misery?

chasboy 02-01-2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1586066928)
Yeah, it's raised. It's at the right height to be able to fit under, and still work on it. I can reach it just fine. I've tried going away for a few minutes to cool down....heck, I just took my heart meds, and now I'm staying away for a little bit. It just seems ridiculous...can something move while that plug is out causing my misery?

I doubt it, especially it you didn't move the shift lever. Since the ball is in the plug, it should help you get it inline . Sometime one thinks an object is at a different angle than what is reality. Have a mirror and a snake light so you can see what you're dealing with?

Toque 02-01-2014 03:39 PM

So your saying that you can't get the detent plug back in there?
The threads will not start ?
Or it will not go in all the way ?

Thats very strange.

Out of all the people that have done this, I have never heard of anyone having an issue.

Toque

'Shifter 02-01-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1586067560)
especially it you didn't move the shift lever.

Uh oh...:willy:

'Shifter 02-01-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1586067827)
Out of all the people that have done this, I have never heard of anyone having an issue.

Of course, then comes me and Mr. Murphy...:(

chasboy 02-01-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1586068171)
Uh oh...:willy:

(used to be...) :D Shifter,
First, I'm glad Mark is here now.
Second, if you did move the shifter, when you attempt to put the plug back do you meet immediate resistance when you insert it? :hide:( I know I'm going to regret that choice of words)

Maybe put it in neutral?

'Shifter 02-01-2014 06:04 PM

That's where I moved it, was from first to neutral, but it didn't help. I then put it back in gear, and tried to wiggle the tire. I'm headed back out to mess with it again...

'Shifter 02-01-2014 07:36 PM

It's in! It didn't feel great threading in, but it went in square. I just had to manhandle it, and strangely, had better luck with a shallow 15/16" with an additional nut inside, and a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter with a thumbwheel, then a 3/8" ratchet in place of the 1/2" drive.

I haven't taken it for a drive yet, as I was pretty gross when I finished up, and it's raining on top of it. I'll take it for a buzz in the morning.

Toque 02-02-2014 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1586069179)
It's in! It didn't feel great threading in, but it went in square. I just had to manhandle it, and strangely, had better luck with a shallow 15/16" with an additional nut inside, and a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter with a thumbwheel, then a 3/8" ratchet in place of the 1/2" drive.

I haven't taken it for a drive yet, as I was pretty gross when I finished up, and it's raining on top of it. I'll take it for a buzz in the morning.

Glad you got it in !
Maybe you just needed to dim the lights some, or put some hair around it..... :D

Toque

'Shifter 02-02-2014 01:01 PM

Took it for a boogie, and jeebus what a difference! I was really worried that after all that drama, mine would be the one that didn't feel any different...:cheers:

chasboy 02-02-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1586073758)
Took it for a boogie, and jeebus what a difference! I was really worried that after all that drama, mine would be the one that didn't feel any different...:cheers:

:thumbs::thumbs::woohoo:
CONGRATS! I went with 2 spacers from the git go and love it still. What a relief!!!:cheers:

Toque 02-02-2014 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1586073758)

Good to hear ! ! ! :rock:

Toque

phils C5 vette 03-18-2014 06:23 AM

I did this modification to my C5 last year while I was replacing the clutch. I went with one washer, and the shifts are smoother and not "linkish"

MIGHTYM0USE 03-24-2014 12:56 PM

hi, where is a functional link to this? thanks!

found it!

http://www.toquez06.com/avm.html

tommypenguin 08-16-2014 10:21 PM

I have an MGW short shifter installed from the previous owner and wasn't sure if it was natural for the car to be this notchy. Glad I found this thread, will be installing soon.

JrRifleCoach 08-16-2014 10:56 PM

May I suggest starting with two spacers?
If it is too light, its easier to remove one while your under the car.

tommypenguin 08-16-2014 11:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I just went through the whole thread and for MGW short shifters throwing on the deuce appears to be the way to go. I ordered the 10pk from rock auto for 3.43shipped and will throw two on first and scale back if it's too loose.

Sp00n 08-17-2014 12:26 AM

Question for you guys. My stock shifter feels super notchy going into 1st and reverse. Will this mod work on stock shifter or is it only recommended for aftermarket short shifters??