CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2742822-gtlm-gtd-pro-racing-talk-no-spoilers-please.html)

chiavet 12-18-2010 12:29 PM

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Just a thought but CF should have a section for ALMS racing for those of us who are followers and would like to talk to others with the same interest. If you do a search on here you find posts about the subject and the drivers all over the place.

ERND IT 12-18-2010 11:10 PM

we can trial a sticky and see what kind of responses and posts we get... if it's popular, we may keep it. if not, just post your comments (no race spoilers please) in posts in the section as usual :)

Bills Z06 12-19-2010 08:40 AM

I like the idea! :thumbs:

jwt1603 12-19-2010 08:56 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Bills Z06 (Post 1576258629)
I like the idea! :thumbs:

Rob Willis 12-19-2010 02:46 PM

ALMS superfan here!

vader86 12-19-2010 04:38 PM

So whats the deal with Johnny O leaving for Cadillac? Did he get pushed out by CR?

BLOWNALKY01 12-19-2010 04:43 PM

I'm for it. Love ALMS.

Jack.

'Shifter 12-19-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Willis (Post 1576261720)
ALMS superfan here!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...es/shifter.gif

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...6dee4d0ed8.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...6dee4d0ed8.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...6dee4d0ed8.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...6dee4d0ed8.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...6dee4d0ed8.jpg

grantar2 12-20-2010 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1576262565)
So whats the deal with Johnny O leaving for Cadillac? Did he get pushed out by CR?

Here's whats funny, when you get your Feb 2011 copy of Vette you will see an article on the Johnny O'Connell signature line Corvette suspension in associate with Pfadt. Bet it's bummin Pfadt to have him move.

shakedown067 12-20-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1576262565)

Supposedly Cadillac has been wanting him for their Racing Division for a while now. Corvette is just now allowing it. :willy:

GT Racing Tires 12-20-2010 06:59 PM

:thumbs:

chiavet 12-20-2010 08:09 PM

Seeing the 2011 ALMS season doesn't start for a few months guess I should have brought this up back when the season was ongoing. I doubt this sticky will stay that popular in the off season.

ERND IT 12-20-2010 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by chiavet (Post 1576274168)
Seeing the 2011 ALMS season doesn't start for a few months guess I should have brought this up back when the season was ongoing. I doubt this sticky will stay that popular in the off season.

we'll give it a fair chance if people are supportive :thumbs:

Bills Z06 12-21-2010 12:49 PM

I'm sure gonna miss Johnny O driving the #3 car in the series. It just won't be the same anymore since Ron Fellows left and now Johnny O. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan! :thumbs:

FORGED DST 12-23-2010 01:04 PM

I'm in.

Most ALMS teams [last week Audi] have tested a few miles down the road from us in Homestead. Three of their transporters were there with the GTP cars. CR has always been there in the past. And in 3 weeks they will all be at open testing in Sebring. Winter is race time in Florida !!!!!!!

jerry

bgreen83 12-26-2010 02:28 PM

Anyone plan to go to Sebring in March?

quickc6 12-26-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bgreen83 (Post 1576325862)

Kind of far for me, I'll be at Long Beach GP and Luguna Seca .:cheers:

Poor-sha 12-26-2010 06:10 PM

I'm a bit confused by the thread title saying "No Spoilers Please!". I would think that this thread is exactly where the spoiler content would go so that folks that hadn't yet seen the race had a place to avoid. Otherwise we end up with the usual collection of separate threads with titles like "Corvette Wins LeMans".

Rob31 12-26-2010 06:10 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...s%20RA/006.jpg

Its been winter too long already.

dvandentop 12-26-2010 10:20 PM

cant wait for all the racing series to start!

RacePro Engineering 12-29-2010 11:05 PM

Ready to learn -

Gentlemen,

I just now noticed this new Sticky, and since it is the "off season", here's a topic on which we could use some authoritative information:

The other day, an acquaintance asserted that most, if not all, of the ALMS teams have migrated to "greener" race fuel. I had to admit that I was unfamiliar with this trend, and quizzed him on the topic. Well, it turns out that he had as much actual detail on the subject as I might know about the the habits of migratory birds in Zambowie (is that still a country?)

So, for the sake of discussion, what do you distinguished colleagues know about the formulations of the fuels being used, generally, or in particular?

Ready to learn -
Ed LoPresti

Sidney004 12-30-2010 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering (Post 1576359976)
Gentlemen,

I just now noticed this new Sticky, and since it is the "off season", here's a topic on which we could use some authoritative information:

The other day, an acquaintance asserted that most, if not all, of the ALMS teams have migrated to "greener" race fuel. I had to admit that I was unfamiliar with this trend, and quizzed him on the topic. Well, it turns out that he had as much actual detail on the subject as I might know about the the habits of migratory birds in Zambowie (is that still a country?)

So, for the sake of discussion, what do you distinguished colleagues know about the formulations of the fuels being used, generally, or in particular?

Ready to learn -
Ed LoPresti

Dyson Racing uses BP Isobutanol/Ethanol Race blend ALMS iBE 20
•Specific Gravity: .783 @ 60°F
•MON: 91.7
•R+M/2: 98.4
•RON: 105
•RVP: 7.98
•Oxygen Content: 6.46% by weight
•Distillation:
10% Evap @143.3 °F
50% Evap @184.6 °F
90% Evap @226.6 °F
FBP 230.2 °F

The other teams that use "IMSA E85R" are using a VP Racing Fuels E66(or so I was told by a VP rep delivering the fuel at Laguna Seca) that is a combination of 34% racing unleaded gasoline and 66% Ethanol. This fuel is not listed on the VP master catalog as available for sale to the general public.
https://forms.imsaracing.net/forms/2008/vpfuels.cfm

jwt1603 12-30-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering (Post 1576359976)
Gentlemen,

Ready to learn -
Ed LoPresti

Link to some of the details of the green initiatve on their site. Michelin is grading teams on how green they are overal, not just fuel type.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...at=green|13084

And yes Zimbabwe is still a country but barely.

jwt1603 12-30-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by bgreen83 (Post 1576325862)

Yep.:thumbs:

Unless I get sent out of town for work again like last year.:ack:

RacePro Engineering 12-30-2010 10:57 AM

Thanks for the insight

Sidney & Joe,

Thank you for the information, and I am sorry about butchering Zimbabwe's spelling, although I still know nothing about their birds. I appreciate those links, too. So there was more than just a grain of truth in what our acquaintance was saying, referring to the Green initiative.

The next level of this topic in which I would be interested is your thoughts about:
How much of this Green is "environment motivated"? How much of it is performance motivated (alternate means of achieving excellent race performance)? How much of it is "politically correct" motivated? And, how much of it is current trend (hot topic) motivated?

Any additional thoughts?
Ed

jwt1603 12-31-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering (Post 1576363333)
Sidney & Joe,

Thank you for the information, and I am sorry about butchering Zimbabwe's spelling, although I still know nothing about their birds. I appreciate those links, too. So there was more than just a grain of truth in what our acquaintance was saying, referring to the Green initiative.

The next level of this topic in which I would be interested is your thoughts about:
How much of this Green is "environment motivated"? How much of it is performance motivated (alternate means of achieving excellent race performance)? How much of it is "politically correct" motivated? And, how much of it is current trend (hot topic) motivated?

Any additional thoughts?
Ed

It's probably all marketing and political correctness. I got stuck in charge of the "E" program at work so I'm very familiar with the subject. All the decisions to do something or not are based on what kind of publicity a company will get out of it. The "bang for the buck" is based on how much good press is generated, not whether or not it will actually do something good for the environment.

This approach works because most of the general public doesn't really know all that much about the details and facts of "green" programs. For example, you can call your company green and put it on all of your marketing materials and people think you're doing something. In reality there is no control over what you put on your letterhead. You can say what you want but there is no control or verification process.

I've been to too many seminars with other companies and been involved in too many projects like this to believe any company that says they're going green for the good of the planet. They're doing it for money and the "good" press they get out of it. If it doesn't make them money the stockholders don't want to hear about it.

Rant off. Sorry about that....:crazy:

RacePro Engineering 01-01-2011 12:47 PM

Thanks, Joe,

The cynical side of me was showing as I wrote those questions, although I was half-hoping that there was some evidence to the contrary.

I was further wondering if there is true progress toward a "better burn" fuel, using the ethanol blends. We have been using leaded race fuel for years and years, where octane is boosted by adding lead (like avgas). We are curious if these "greener" fuels are approaching the old tried-and-true petrol in ability to make a motor produce power.

Happy New Year to ALL!
Ed

jwt1603 01-03-2011 12:19 PM

Maybe ALMS will get some decent TV exposure now.

http://www.racer.com/american-le-man...MC-RACER_DAILY

Rob31 01-03-2011 12:56 PM

The programming director for Speed Channel should go back to the Janitor position where they got him .

grantar2 01-03-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwt1603 (Post 1576372558)
I've been to too many seminars with other companies and been involved in too many projects like this to believe any company that says they're going green for the good of the planet. They're doing it for money and the "good" press they get out of it. If it doesn't make them money the stockholders don't want to hear about it.

Rant off. Sorry about that....:crazy:

I would agree with you, in that what is done has to make sense for the shareholders for the company to care. However that value can be defined in many ways. I am involved for my company and the presures to be green come from a number of directions. The first is our prime customer the federal gov, says they are going to make it a selection criteria for contract awards. Our specific key customer the U.S. Navy wants out of the oil paradigm for ships and airplanes. So that is what we are working on. However as a practical matter green can be a long term cost savings, and help reduce liability. If you thing green in design of both plant and product design you can better control liability related to toxics, and long term waste disposal as well as energy costs. The best result has been for our shop guys. One of the easiest and most cost effective emissions reduction projects we had was to fix shop equipment, elimintate leaks and loss from compressed air lines (thus the motors don't have to run as much)[serious savings] and when equipment gets turned on and off, rather than sitting on stand by. Replaced really old electric motors, pumps, etc.

Worked well. Yes companies only do it becuase they have to, but when they decided to play it's amazing how many employees join in to help.

In the not to distant future our parking lots will have charging stations as well as solar pannels. A lot of exterior plant lightning has already gone solar. We have embraced telecommuting at a number of our sites which has other side benifits.

I agree it's self serving, there aren't a lot of rules that govern what constitutes green, but you have to start somewhere. My company like a number of large companies are evaluated by others, in our case we get to deal with Fortune and Forbes magazines, as well as the Congressional Budget Office reports.

I don't think the general public cares anymore about this topic than they did appartied, or compaines making money off of war, etc. But at the end of the day, government regulators care, and that drives change.

With U.S. Coal and Oil reserves, the oil found off of Brazil's coast we wouldn't be worried about energy nearly as much if it weren't for global warming and it's observed and predicted effects. I for one am not convinced this isn't a natural cycle, but it is real in its effects. Governments are trying to do what they can besides just build new breakwaters.

jwt1603 01-06-2011 08:44 PM

Aston-Martin sponsor

Aston sponsored by milk?

http://www.racer.com/cytosport-partn...MC-RACER_DAILY

zipity 01-06-2011 09:38 PM

Anyone headed to the Baltimore Grand Prix over Labor Day weekend with the Indy Light Series?

Any word of IMSA setting up a Corvette Corral parking?

FORGED DST 01-07-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by zipity (Post 1576440027)
Anyone headed to the Baltimore Grand Prix over Labor Day weekend with the Indy Light Series?

Any word of IMSA setting up a Corvette Corral parking?

I would really like to go to that race too. But it is a long way off. Street races are very cool if the course isn't too tight , and you actually have good site lines. I've been to Long Beach and its pretty good if you have good tickets/access. The old Miami Grand Prix course was good too.......then they messed it up by making it too tight, and too many barricades. The St. Pete course was no good, Denver too tight, West Palm Beach likewise.

I've never seen Detroit in person.

jerry

bomalley 01-20-2011 06:17 PM

Long Beach Corvette Corral

We're going to the Long Beach Grand Prix in April but haven't seen anything about a Corvette Corral. Does anybody know if they're having one?

Giant Killer 02-06-2011 11:29 PM

America's Sports Car

Anyone else as PO'd as I am over the fact that The Corvette Race team moves Johnny O'Connell, their most loyal driver, down to a lower tier series and replaces him with a Brit and one young relatively inexperienced American. I have supported the Corvette guys from day one, and respect and admire the drivers but with all the top level American driving talent that are out of rides it is odd that they only can find room in a 6 driver team for one American. One American driving for a racing team racing American built Corvettes. How about giving the Corvette fans an American team to cheer for and follow? I read the interview announcing the new additions to the team and the spokesman said the Corvette is a Global Brand. There is the answer, evidently drivers are hired by GM's marketing dept. No flag waving here. Not the American flag, anyway. "America's Sports Car" --- not any more.

Giant Killer 02-06-2011 11:54 PM

Street Races

I noticed quite a bit of discussion about sight lines and such at Street races. Street races tend to be an event, not a race and as such leave a lot to be desired for a race fan. Cars such as run the ALMS are like a bull in a china shop in a race run on city streets. A street race for those guys is similar to indoor midget racing. Except you can see the whole track at a midget race. The ALMS drivers can't actually race, they just try to survive. Road racing belongs on natural terrain road courses. Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Road America, Laguna Seca, Sebring, Mosport, etc. That is where the fan can see those beasts do what they were designed to do. The drivers can actually race and the fans get what they pay for. The fan can stroll from corner to corner and not have to worry about choosing the correct reserved seats to get the best sight lines. Of course if you are General Admission the chance of seeing any of the race is in direct proportion to your height. I quit wasting my time and $s on street races years ago. The bottom line is; if you want to see racing go to a race track.

Giant Killer 02-07-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by jwt1603 (Post 1576401799)
Maybe ALMS will get some decent TV exposure now.

http://www.racer.com/american-le-man...MC-RACER_DAILY

You may want to re-read the article and especially the comments following. Fans seem to be upset.

joemoia 02-07-2011 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by bomalley (Post 1576567928)
We're going to the Long Beach Grand Prix in April but haven't seen anything about a Corvette Corral. Does anybody know if they're having one?

http://www.gplb.com/downloads/2011CorvetteCorral.pdf

shakedown067 02-07-2011 12:51 PM

For those going to the 12hrs of Sebring with campsites or a sebring themed car....
Sebring Cruise and Campsite Contest

Rob Willis 02-08-2011 04:59 PM

Muscle Milk's Aston Martin LMP sure does look good!

Rob Willis 02-09-2011 08:24 AM

Winter TESTING began @ 8am this morning! :)

jwt1603 02-09-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rob Willis (Post 1576744304)
Winter TESTING began @ 8am this morning! :)

The online scoring is pretty neat. You can block out the classes you don't want to see and it shows who's in the pits, who moved up, who moved down and who retired.

sundevilfan 02-09-2011 05:51 PM

Johnny O - The Red Rocket

Originally Posted by Giant Killer (Post 1576725146)
Anyone else as PO'd as I am over the fact that The Corvette Race team moves Johnny O'Connell, their most loyal driver, down to a lower tier series and replaces him with a Brit and one young relatively inexperienced American. I have supported the Corvette guys from day one, and respect and admire the drivers but with all the top level American driving talent that are out of rides it is odd that they only can find room in a 6 driver team for one American. One American driving for a racing team racing American built Corvettes. How about giving the Corvette fans an American team to cheer for and follow? I read the interview announcing the new additions to the team and the spokesman said the Corvette is a Global Brand. There is the answer, evidently drivers are hired by GM's marketing dept. No flag waving here. Not the American flag, anyway. "America's Sports Car" --- not any more.

I too will miss Johnny at Corvette Racing. I always enjoyed talking to him in the paddock at the races and once had a 45 minute discussion with him staying at the same hotel in Bowling Green during the Corvette 50th Anniversary Celebration. He is a great guy but he is no longer a spring chicken. I believe this move to Cadillac will prove to be a good career move for Johnny and of great benefit to Cadillac. I am going to try to attend an ALMS race this season where the World Challenge is a companion race. Teaming Johnny with Andy Pilgrim is going to be dynamite for Cadillac and that series. Go Johnny O. By the way.........when you see what Tommy Milner brings to the table you are going to be impressed. He is a rising star. He is also an American driver. It was also tough to see Ron Fellows moved out of his seat.........Father Time has us all in his sights.

Steve Wolf 02-20-2011 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Giant Killer (Post 1576725146)
...I have supported the Corvette guys from day one, and respect and admire the drivers but with all the top level American driving talent that are out of rides it is odd that they only can find room in a 6 driver team for one American.

Who are the top level American drivers out of work you're referring to?

For those interested, there are some new photos of the 2011 Corvette race cars and drivers at http://www.rprincephoto.com.

sdurg24 02-24-2011 03:46 PM

I went to my first two ALMS races last year and had a ball even though Corvette Racing didn't fare well in either. So now I come to the table very late and would appreciate any info CF folks can give me on ALMS from here on in. I will be driving to Sebring in my new GS that was just completed at bowling Green but not delivered yet. Thought it would be a good chance to break it in once I got south of the Mason Dixon line.

I hadn't figured out what this sticky was but now I will check it out often. Any advice you guys can give me (gals too lol) would be of great help. :cheers:

CDN_Wolf_eh 03-14-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by sdurg24 (Post 1576885221)
I went to my first two ALMS races last year and had a ball even though Corvette Racing didn't fare well in either. So now I come to the table very late and would appreciate any info CF folks can give me on ALMS from here on in. I will be driving to Sebring in my new GS that was just completed at bowling Green but not delivered yet. Thought it would be a good chance to break it in once I got south of the Mason Dixon line.

I hadn't figured out what this sticky was but now I will check it out often. Any advice you guys can give me (gals too lol) would be of great help. :cheers:

The crew from The Great White North (:canadaflag: Canada, eh :canadaflag:) will be heading down to the race again this year! :rock: Leaving first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. This will be my 6th year! :woohoo:

We generally drive to Charlotte, NC ... and stay at one of the Holiday Inn Express hotels ... then head over to the I-95 Wednesday morning to meet up with John (LJD51) at the Cracker Barrel at Exit #53 in Walterboro, SC. @ around 9A - 10A'ish

After Breakfast, it's onto Florida! We stay in Bartow, which is a nice drive to the Sebring Track (around 50 minutes)

If you are interested in meeting up, and cruising down with us ... send me a text!

Mark

F4Gary 03-18-2011 11:20 PM

OK, dumb question. There is a 3rd Corvette ZR-1 entered. What is GTE-AM?

KBow_Photo 03-18-2011 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by F4Gary (Post 1577097689)
OK, dumb question. There is a 3rd Corvette ZR-1 entered. What is GTE-AM?

It is for privateers and Larbre Competition is racing the 3rd Corvette. That car was the #3 car from last year

The demise of the GT1 category has brought a unified GT class for 2011, albeit split into two categories primarily around a drivers’ ranking. GTE Pro, formally known as the ultra-successful GT2 class, remains relatively unchanged, aside from the introduction of paddle shift gearboxes and minor aerodynamic adjustments.

GTE Am will mirror GTE Pro, except for two distinct differences. Cars must be at least one year old and only one driver with Platinum or Gold status will be eligible in each lineup. There are no driver restrictions in GTE Pro.
While many thought we'd seen the last of the Saleen S7R in Zhuhai, China last month, it appears 2010-spec GT1 machines have been given another lease on life, at least for one more year in GTE Am. (Photo: John Dagys)

Additionally, 2010-spec GT1 cars, such as the Matech Ford GT, Aston Martin DBR9 and Saleen S7R, will be permitted to compete in GTE Am for next year only. It’s unclear what Balance of Performance adjustments, if any, would be given to the already detuned-for-2010 machines.

Otto Mos 03-19-2011 03:43 PM

Besides ALMS's bone-headed move out of Speed, at least we have net neutrality or else viewers would be screwed. Who knew a government takeover of the internet could be helpful! LOL.

AU N EGL 03-19-2011 03:58 PM

GTE Am will mirror GTE Pro :crazy:

StArrow68 03-19-2011 09:25 PM

What is with the vision comments by the ESPN crew from the Vettes, something about
the view is much worse from the camera than from anything else. Also there was a
loss of the tearoff's from one of the Vettes and I think they replaced the windshield,
is that part of the issue? Any input welcome.

CDN_Wolf_eh 04-20-2011 06:44 PM

So now we wait til July for the next ALMS race .... :ack:

sdurg24 04-20-2011 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh (Post 1577397324)
So now we wait til July for the next ALMS race .... :ack:

:willy: Yea, and then watch while the BMW Team embarrasses us again. I'll be at Lime Rock but I'll be really surprised if Corvette Racing can keep up with the Euros. :toetap:

Rob Willis 04-23-2011 10:10 PM

24hrs of LeMans TEST day tomorrow (Easter Sunday).

You can listen via Radio Lemans (Www.radiolemans.com)

[http://www.lemans.org/en/courses/24h...11/photos.html

rfn026 04-24-2011 05:50 AM

The Corvette team is testing but not with their own cars.

[The test] is really not important at all if nobody was going,” said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. “But when you give your competition a full day at Le Mans to test new stuff, you might as well not show up. It’s that serious. That’s how important laps are around that place. If everyone else is going, you have to go.”

While unable to take its two factory cars to the test this weekend, Corvette Racing is here running Larbre Competition’s Corvette C6.R, a year-old chassis with 2011 updates. All four of the team’s full-season drivers - Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta, Jan Magnussen and Tommy Milner - will rotate through the car on Sunday."

Richard Newton
Newton's Law

grantar2 04-25-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Willis (Post 1577425873)
24hrs of LeMans TEST day tomorrow (Easter Sunday).

You can listen via Radio Lemans (Www.radiolemans.com)

[http://www.lemans.org/en/courses/24h...11/photos.html

Give the French credit they get a great turnout just for a test day.

grantar2 04-25-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rfn026 (Post 1577427522)
The Corvette team is testing but not with their own cars.

[The test] is really not important at all if nobody was going,” said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. “But when you give your competition a full day at Le Mans to test new stuff, you might as well not show up. It’s that serious. That’s how important laps are around that place. If everyone else is going, you have to go.”

While unable to take its two factory cars to the test this weekend, Corvette Racing is here running Larbre Competition’s Corvette C6.R, a year-old chassis with 2011 updates. All four of the team’s full-season drivers - Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta, Jan Magnussen and Tommy Milner - will rotate through the car on Sunday."

Richard Newton
Newton's Law

hopefully Larbre Competition gets to keep the parts and data.

chucks00 05-19-2011 04:29 PM

Corvette Corral info. Got this in an email

Thank you for your interest in the Corvette Corral!

Please click on the link below to purchase your Corvette Corral packages for the Baltimore Grand Prix. Once logged in, you'll need this access code; CRACING

http://www.ticketingcentral.com/V2/H...f%2f%2fw%3d%3d

CDN_Wolf_eh 07-15-2011 01:58 PM

Who all is heading :canadaflag: north :canadaflag: for the Mosport race?

dowie 07-15-2011 09:02 PM

I'll be there and looking forward to the races.:cheers:

CDN_Wolf_eh 07-18-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dowie (Post 1578144409)
I'll be there and looking forward to the races.:cheers:

Excellent!

Did you get a Corvette Corral Pass?

Mark

sebdavid 07-18-2011 09:09 PM

I'll be at Mosport on Sunday and instructing with the Genesee chapter BMW Club on Monday and Tuesday.

dowie 07-19-2011 08:13 PM

ALMS - Mosport

Yes - With the corvette corral pass. Along with planning to be there first thing in the morning on Saturday. :rock:

CDN_Wolf_eh 07-21-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dowie (Post 1578178537)
Yes - With the corvette corral pass. Along with planning to be there first thing in the morning on Saturday. :rock:

Check out these threads ...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...eet-times.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...t-tonight.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...t-mosport.html

Bimmervet 07-24-2011 07:11 PM

Corvette Wins ALMS Mosport

Corvette takes 1st and 6th. Ferrari 2nd, BMW 3rd,& 4th, porsche 5th

cor123 07-24-2011 08:58 PM

Mosport Race Results

Replay of the race is tonight:
ESPN2 TV Broadcast 9:00PM - 11:00 PM CST

Corvette Racing Wins Grand Prix of Mosport

Corvette Notches Ninth Win at Canadian Circuit, Scores First ALMS GT Victory of Season

BOWMANVILLE, Ontario, Canada, July 24, 2011 – Corvette Racing returned to the winner's circle today at the Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport as Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen scored the team's first American Le Mans Series victory of the season. Gavin and Magnussen won the GT class by 4.4 seconds in their No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R over the Ferrari 458 Italia of Jaime Melo and Toni Vilander. Tommy Milner and Olivier Beretta finished sixth in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R after contact with a backmarker cost them valuable time on the high-speed Canadian circuit.

After qualifying sixth and eighth on Saturday, Corvette Racing rebounded with a strong race day setup that ultimately broke BMW's three-race winning streak. The two-hour, 45-minute race was anything but predictable as spins, crashes, close calls and penalties added to the drama.

"We had a team meeting after qualifying and agreed that we all just needed to do our jobs because anything can happen," said team manager Gary Pratt. "The crew made great pit stops, the drivers made smart decisions, the engineers made good calls, and here we are with a victory. You have to be able to take advantage of opportunities, you have to be able to close the deal, and today we did."

Gavin and Milner were the starting drivers, and slotted into sixth and eighth respectively as the race began. The running order changed dramatically after the first round of pit stops under a full-course caution, as Gavin emerged in third after two cars were penalized. When the second-place Porsche went off track shortly after the one-hour mark, Gavin moved into second and began an extended battle with Vilander in the Risi Competizione Ferrari.

"We started coming on these big clumps of traffic, and things started getting crazy," Gavin said. "I had this mad battle with Toni, where he passed me going into Turn 2 and then he went around the outside of a GTC car. I managed to undercut them both and come back around the outside into Turn 3 – it was fantastic racing!"

Contact with the Ferrari in Moss Corner punctured a tire, and the crew scrambled as Gavin dove into the pits with one hour and four minutes to go. Magnussen took over the No. 4 Corvette and emerged in third. The Dane passed the Ferrari with 30 minutes to go, and then took the lead with 20 minutes remaining when the leading No. 55 BMW driven by Dirk Werner was assessed a stop-and-go penalty for avoidable contact.

"I knew that for us to get a good result out of this race, we had to be 100 percent focused every second," Magnussen said. "We could never relax, just push all the time. To pull a win from where we were after qualifying is just fantastic. These guys have done it before and they'll do it again – you can never count Corvette Racing out. The way this team pushes, I'm so proud to be part of it."

Gavin agreed: "The team won this race," said the Englishman. "We got our first win on the board and we've broken BMW's stranglehold on ALMS victories this year. I'm absolutely delighted!"

The No. 4 Corvette's second pit stop proved pivotal. "We had 10 seconds for everyone to get ready," said crew chief Brian Hoye. "The guys know what to do and they were ready to go. We knocked out a quick stop, kept the car in contention, and we ended up with a victory. We used every session to make the car the best it could be for the race, and it turned out be a spectacular result."

The No. 3 Corvette was less fortunate today as contact with the No. 11 Porsche GTC and a resulting spin took them out of contention. Milner had executed a series of passes to pull the No. 3 up to fourth place before the accident.

"The No. 3 Corvette was really, really good, the best I've driven all year long," said Milner. "My spot today was Turn 5, where a lot of people were getting held up in traffic and I was able to get underneath them entering 5B. It's a pretty safe spot to pass, and you can rub fenders there without it being an issue. I got a number of passes done there, but then we had that contact in Turn 10. Unfortunately we have a few drivers who need more seat time, especially running with other class cars. I gave him a lot of room going into 9, but he wanted to race me. The result was I got spun out."

The contact damaged the Corvette's left-rear suspension and an extended pit stop dropped the No. 3 off the lead lap. Beretta drove the last 62 minutes to secure sixth for the Le Mans-winning Corvette.

"It's a good win for the No. 4 Corvette and good for the whole team," Beretta said. "Tommy did a very good job, we were just unlucky to be touched by a gentleman driver and that was the end of our race. I was hoping for a yellow to close up the field, but it didn't come, so I just brought the car home."

Corvette Racing celebrated its ninth win at Mosport and captured the Michelin Green X Challenge as the fastest, cleanest, and most efficient entry in the GT class.

"As the inaugural winner of the Michelin Green X Challenge, it's always an honor when Corvette Racing collects one of these trophies," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "It's a testament to how hard our engine group, our chassis group, and our aero group have worked to maximize the efficiency of the Corvette. It's also a testament to Chevrolet's willingness to race with cellulosic E85, and as the world's largest producer of flex-fuel vehicles, it's only appropriate that the Chevrolet team won the Green X Challenge today."

ESPN2 will televise the Grand Prix of Mosport tonight at 10 p.m. ET. Corvette Racing’s next event is the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge in Lexington, Ohio, on Saturday, August 6, starting at 3:30 p.m. ET. Live video coverage will available on ESPN3.com in the US and americanlemans.com for international users. ESPN2 will televise the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge on Sunday, August 7, at 10 p.m. ET.

Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport GT Results (Top 10):

Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car/Laps

1. 4 Gavin/Magnussen, Corvette C6.R, 121

2. 62 Melo/Vilander, Ferrari F458 Italia, 121

3. 55 Auberlen/Werner, BMW M3 GT, 121

4. 56 Mueller/Hand, BMW M3 GT, 121

5. 17 Henzler/Sellers, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 120

6. 3 Beretta/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 119

7. 04 Murry/Lazzaro, Doran Ford GT, 119

8. 44 Neiman/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 118

9. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari F458 Italia, 117

10. 48 Miller/Maasen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 117

Bills Z06 08-07-2011 07:00 AM

What a dissappointment at Mid Ohio! :(

cor123 08-08-2011 09:15 PM

Corvette Racing Finishes 2nd and 6th in Mid-Ohio Monsoon

Corvette Racing Finishes Second and Sixth in Mid-Ohio Monsoon

Gavin and Magnussen Come Through the Chaos for Podium Finish and Championship Points

LEXINGTON, Ohio, Aug. 6, 2011 – The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge ended under a red flag when a downpour inundated the circuit with 11 minutes remaining in the two-hour, 45-minute race. Jan Magnussen and Oliver Gavin scored Corvette's third straight runner-up finish at Mid-Ohio after leading the GT category for the first two hours in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Tommy Milner and Olivier Beretta finished sixth after a spin in the treacherous conditions temporarily stranded the No. 3 Compuware Corvette before the race was stopped. Wolf Henzler and Bryan Sellers claimed the victory in the No. 17 Porsche 911 GT3 after advancing from sixth to first on the rain-soaked track in the final minutes.

"In the last two races, we've had a good race car and not such a good qualifying car – but I'll take a good race car any time," said team manager Gary Pratt. "In conditions like this, we're happy with second."

Magnussen made a fast start, moving from fifth on the grid to second in the first lap. He passed the class-leading BMW on the next lap and then held the lead through the remainder of his stint.

"I was on the outside for the first turn and had a good line," Magnussen said. "Everyone in front of me pulled in to protect their line, so I went to the outside and came out in second. I could see the BMW's tires weren't completely up to temperature and our Michelins were. In one of the practice sessions, I came out with a BMW and outbraked him at the end of the straight, so I knew he was going to be vulnerable there. Sure enough, he braked early and I made the pass."

Gavin took over the No. 4 Corvette shortly before the one-hour mark and held the point until he pitted for rain tires at 2:03. He was within striking distance of the leading No. 45 Porsche of Patrick Long when the deluge began.

"Those last four or five laps were absolutely insane," Gavin said. "I was driving down the straight with the steering wheel at full opposite lock, with the car just gliding and aquaplaning. Somehow my car straightened up and Pat Long's car went off into a gravel trap. When Wolf Henzler drove by me, I had no answer for him; he certainly had a good rain setup. I was relieved when they brought out the red flag because it was really tough.

"Before the rain came, it was great to be in the lead," the Englishman added. "The guys got me out in front after an excellent pit stop. I was slowly pulling away from Patrick, then a caution came out and we were driving around picking up loads of rubbish on the tires. Patrick was pressuring me, but eventually I got the tires clean and started to pull out a lead. Then the weather arrived, and everything changed."

Gavin and Magnussen's runner-up finish on the heels of a win in Mosport, combined with a fourth-place finish today for points leaders Joey Hand and Dirk Mueller, narrowed the GT championship race. Gavin and Magnussen are now 17 points behind the BMW duo in unofficial points, and Chevrolet cut BMW's lead in the manufacturer standings to 19 points.

Beretta, celebrating his milestone 100th ALMS race, started the No. 3 Corvette C6.R eighth on the GT grid, and pitted from P7 at 56 minutes into the race. Milner steadily worked his way to the front, running third with one hour remaining and second with 30 minutes to go. As the rain intensified, Milner had contact with another GT car and spun in Turn 8, rejoining the race in sixth.

"We had a phenomenal race car in the dry," said Milner. "In the wet, it's the same for everybody – really crazy. Unfortunately Mid-Ohio is one of those tracks that has zero grip in the rain. When you have monsoon conditions like this, it's a roll of the dice and we got snake eyes.

"When it started sprinkling, I thought about Le Mans, but once it started to pour, I said this is hurricane season," Milner reported. "Sixth is not where I wanted to finish after being on pace for second place, but it was really good to see that the team's hard work in practice and in the warm-up improved the car in the dry."

Corvette Racing won the Michelin Green X Challenge as the fastest, cleanest, and most efficient entry in the GT class for the second consecutive race.

"I think it was clear today we had the dominant cars," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "We were well positioned for a victory, and certainly we're satisfied with second when weather is such a factor. Most importantly, we've captured the Michelin Green X Challenge again, demonstrating durability, reliability, performance, and green thinking at Chevrolet and Corvette."

ESPN2 will televise the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge on Sunday, August 7, at 10 p.m. ET. Corvette Racing’s next event is the four-hour Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., on Saturday, August 20, starting at 3:00 p.m. CT. Live video coverage will be available on ESPN3.com in the US and americanlemans.com for international users. ABC will televise the Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase on Sunday, August 21, at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge GT Results (Top 10):

1. 17 Henzler/Sellers, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 92

2. 4 Gavin/Magnussen, Corvette C6.R, 92

3. 55 Auberlen/Werner, BMW M3 GT, 92

4. 56 Mueller/Hand, BMW M3 GT, 92

5. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari F458 Italia, 92

6. 3 Beretta/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 92

7. 04 Murry/Lazzaro, Doran Ford GT, 91

8. 48 Miller/Maasen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 91

9. 45 Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 91

10. 44 Neiman/Law, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 91

sdurg24 08-09-2011 06:47 AM

Thanks cor123 for the race info you give. I work weekends and it's nice to have someone helping to keep me up to date. I really appreciate it.

sdurg24 08-09-2011 06:50 AM

My ignorance I know but can somebody tell me how a GT3 car gets to win in the GT class? I thought GT3 was a different class?

argonaut 08-09-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by sdurg24 (Post 1578361309)
My ignorance I know but can somebody tell me how a GT3 car gets to win in the GT class? I thought GT3 was a different class?

Its a "Porsche 911 GT3", thats the model. Kind of like "Corvette C6R".

cor123 08-09-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sdurg24 (Post 1578361299)
Thanks cor123 for the race info you give. I work weekends and it's nice to have someone helping to keep me up to date. I really appreciate it.

Your welcome! I find the information most helpful to myself and glad that others find it useful also.

sdurg24 08-09-2011 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by argonaut (Post 1578361585)
Its a "Porsche 911 GT3", thats the model. Kind of like "Corvette C6R".

Thanks Argo. Don't know how I goofed on that. I know the 911 model is a GT3 but somehow thought in ALMS parlance there was another class like there used to be GT1 and GT2. I'm a slow learner but a learner nevertheless. :ack:

3musky3 08-16-2011 12:48 AM

i read through here and did not see anything on the in car for #4 at lemans. found the link looking for timing and scoring for the 24 hour race and ended up watching @ 20 hours. this was so cool and now gm is using some of the video in the zr1 commercial. at one point i had lemans timing #4 in car and formula one all running on my screen. short of being there i have to say it was a perfect weekend for me.
on a different note dear espn i like my racing live ! with like 5 channels i think you can manage that and how about some replays. i only pay for cable to watch racing so please just do it.
the sound of the #4 car running at lemans still rings in my ears thank you whoever was responsible for that and please please do it again!

cor123 08-22-2011 12:40 PM

Road America Results

Corvette Racing Takes Fifth at Road America

Gavin and Magnussen Run at the Front in GT, Beretta and Milner Retire after Accident

ELKHART LAKE, Wis., Aug. 20, 2011 – The fans wanted a four-hour race at Road America, and the American Le Mans Series teams delivered four hours of nonstop action in the Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase. The No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R driven by Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen finished fifth in the GT class after running in the lead pack throughout the race. The No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R of Tommy Milner and Olivier Beretta retired with suspension damage after an accident at the three-hour mark. The No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 Italia driven by Jaime Melo and Toni Vilander won the hard-fought GT category, and the No. 4 Corvette won the Michelin Green X Challenge competition.

After qualifying second and sixth, the yellow Corvettes were third and fourth when the first lap was completed. An early full-course caution opened the opportunity to split the race strategies, and Milner pitted the No.3 for fuel only at 20 minutes. After a spirited fight with the No. 56 BMW and the No. 62 Ferrari, Gavin took the lead at 54 minutes into the race. He held the point through the No. 4 Corvette's first pit stop, then had contact with the Ferrari as the two cars exited the pit lane simultaneously. After dropping to fifth, Gavin worked his way back to the front, passing the BMW again for the lead at 1:52. The Briton then handed off to Magnussen when the No. 4 pitted at 2:16.

"It was an action-packed stint," Gavin said. "I was tapped at the start, got sideways, and several cars screamed by on the inside. Then there was a big scrap as we went into Turn 5, with cars everywhere. Finally things settled down a little.

"On the first pass for the lead, the BMW was pushed wide by the Ferrari and they got bottled up in Carousel," he recalled. "I got around the BMW, and then passed the Ferrari as we came into Turn 14. After the pit stop, the Ferrari's door was open as we went down the pit lane, Vilander was trying to get himself secured, and he spun me around. On the next restart, I passed the Ferrari and was having a good battle with the leading BMW. When we came up behind a slower GTC car, he went left, I went right, and I managed to outdrag him on the front straight. It was great fun and great racing!"

Milner agreed. "The start was unbelievable," he said. "They've been trying to pack everybody up at the green flag, and they got that here at Road America. There was definitely some good action where I was sitting. After everything settled down, the No 3 Corvette was quick. The guys made the right call to switch strategy and pit us out of sequence."

That gamble nearly paid off as Beretta was running third in the No. 3 Corvette C6.R after taking over from Milner at 1:28 into the race. Milner was back in at 2:36, and stopped for fuel and two tires at 3:02. On the out-lap, he spun off in Turn 13 and damaged the right-side suspension.

"If I hadn't wrecked, that would have been the right call," Milner said. "It's frustrating because we had such a really good car today. We ran quick laps when I was by myself, but in traffic it's hard to run to the capabilities of the car. We put on two tires to go to the end, and the car was tough to drive with two sticker tires. I turned in for Turn 13, the rear was loose and I had to catch it. I was off the line, and there's a big bump at the exit. I tried to avoid it, but got the car sideways and into the wall."

"We got off sequence early and hoped that it would pay off," explained crew chief Dan Binks. "After that last pit stop, I think we had 'em smoked. The engineers made a great call, but with cold tires, Tommy just spun off. The rear suspension was too badly damaged to fix safely in 30 minutes, so we called it."

Magnussen was consistently in the top five in the No. 4 Corvette in the second half, and was attacking the No. 45 Porsche for third with 30 minutes remaining. In the closing minutes, however, he was passed by the No. 56 BMW, and then had to defend his position against the No. 17 Porsche.

"My first stint in the car was quite good," Magnussen said. "Then as the temperature cooled down, the balance of the car changed and I backed off to bring the car home. Fifth place is absolutely not satisfying in any way; it's not where I thought we were going to finish."

The No. 4 Corvette C6.R won the Michelin Green X Challenge competition as the fastest, cleanest, and most efficient entry in the GT class for the third consecutive race.

"Corvette Racing won the inaugural Michelin Green X Challenge in 2009, and to win for the ninth time in the milestone 25th competition shows Chevrolet's enduring commitment to efficiency, performance, and alternative fuels," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "The team did a masterful job of executing a two-car strategy, but unfortunately circumstances prevented us from reaching our goal."

ABC will televise the Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase on Sunday, August 21, at 4:30 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT). Corvette Racing’s next event is the two-hour Baltimore Grand Prix on Saturday, September 3, starting at 4:30 p.m. ET. Live video coverage will be available on ESPN3.com in the US and americanlemans.com for international users. ABC will televise the Baltimore Grand Prix on Sunday, September 4, at 4 p.m. ET.

Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase GT Results (Top 10):

1. Melo/Vilander, Ferrari F458 Italia, 101

2. 55 Auberlen/Werner, BMW M3 GT, 101

3. 56 Mueller/Hand, BMW M3 GT, 101

4. 45 Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 101

5. 4 Gavin/Magnussen, Corvette C6.R, 101

6. 17 Henzler/Sellers, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 101

7. 48 Miller/Maasen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 101

8. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari F458 Italia, 101

9. 44 Neiman/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 100

10. 04 Murry/Lazzaro, Doran Ford GT, 100

14. 3 Beretta/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 92

cor123 10-02-2011 06:36 PM

Corvette Racing Petit Le Mans Results

Corvette Racing Finishes Fourth in ALMS Season Finale

Gavin and Magnussen Take Second in Driver Standings; Team Rallies Around No. 4 Corvette After No. 3 Corvette Sidelined

BRASELTON, Ga., Oct. 1, 2011 – After nine hours and 35 minutes of intense competition, Corvette Racing finished fourth in the GT class in Petit Le Mans, the season finale of the American Le Mans Series. The No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R driven by Oliver Gavin, Jan Magnussen, and Richard Westbrook completed 366 laps around the 2.54-mile Road Atlanta circuit en route to its fourth-place finish. The No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R of Olivier Beretta, Tommy Milner, and Antonio Garcia retired after 76 laps with a broken gearbox and finished 17th in the GT category. The No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari won the GT division by a 6.685-second margin of victory.

With a hint of autumn in the air, the ninth round of the ALMS championship produced the hard-fought racing that has been the hallmark of the GT class in 2011. Magnussen started the No. 4 Corvette C6.R seventh on the GT grid after the withdrawal of the No. 062 Ferrari. He was sixth after one lap, dropped to seventh on the third lap, and was fourth after the first full-course caution. The Dane made his first stop for fuel and tires at 57 minutes, but incurred a stop-and-go penalty for a pit lane infraction. Magnussen then ran his second stint to 80 laps and pitted at 2:11, handing off the car to Oliver Gavin.

"There was a lot of stuff going on at the start and traffic was crazy," Magnussen said. "I had a big moment at the beginning of the race – I hit a curb, bounced all over the place, and thought I was going to fall off. You've got to be so alert all the time; if it's not somebody in front of you, it's somebody behind you."

Gavin drove to the four-hour mark and then was replaced by Richard Westbrook.

"It was mayhem on every lap," said Gavin. "It was just insanity, people driving all over the track, sideways, on and off the grass. I have to say the traffic was by far the worst I've seen. Fifty-three cars on this track is just too many."

Third driver Richard Westbrook did his first stint in the Corvette C6.R since the 24 Hours of Le Mans, taking the No. 4 to P2 before pitting at 5:02 and giving the car to Magnussen.

"It's really good to be back in the Corvette," Westbrook remarked. "Conditions weren't ideal for our car, but in clean air it was great. Our competition seemed to have a bit of an advantage on the straight, and hopefully that will be addressed."

Magnussen drove a double stint, and as the GT frontrunners cycled through pit stops and two caution periods, Magnussen kept the No. 4 Corvette in contention. He pitted under caution at 7:20, and Gavin took over for the run to the checkered flag as darkness descended. Unfortunately the pit stop cycle and pass-around put the Corvette a lap down to the leaders. When two cars ahead of him pitted, Gavin was promoted to fourth, and he defended that position in the closing laps against Wolf Henzler's Porsche.

"There was one big incident when a prototype's engine blew up and a number of cars spun on that oil," Gavin recalled. "There were cars going everywhere, and I was nearly one of them, but I managed to get through. At one point Wolf was catching me quickly, but I stretched it out a bit, then we got a caution and that gave us the lead we needed. Fourth place was about all we could have really hoped for today."

That finish earned enough points to secure second place in the GT drivers championship for Gavin and Magnussen.

"It's been a really, really tough year with strong competition from BMW, Porsche and Ferrari," Magnussen said. "I think we've learned a lot, and we'll bring that forward to next year. We'll come back stronger and try to win the championship. We've had some hard races and we've had some bad luck, but all in all we got the best out of this season that we could."

The No. 3 Corvette C6.R encountered mechanical misfortune at Petit Le Mans. Tommy Milner qualified the No. 3 ninth on the GT grid, and the American powered his way to sixth by the third lap. A pit stop under caution at 27 minutes into the race split the two Corvettes' strategy and put the No. 3 in position to move to second. Milner brought the No. 3 to the pits at 1:25 and handed off to Olivier Beretta.

Shortly after the two-hour mark, Beretta radioed that the gearbox was smoking. Crew chief Dan Binks instructed him to take the car directly to the transporter. The crew removed the gearbox for repairs, but the damage was terminal and the car was retired.

"On the restart, some cars were accelerating, some were slowing down, it was just a mess," said Beretta. "After the traffic jam, the car was good, but in six or seven laps, the rear started to feel very strange. I thought that maybe I just needed to clean my tires, but the car was super loose. I think I had oil leaking onto the rear tires."

"The final drive failed and broke the gearbox case," explained Binks. "It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Our year wasn't great, but we won Le Mans, and that was exciting."

The No. 4 Corvette won the Michelin Green X Challenge for the fourth time this season. The award recognized the fastest, cleanest, and most efficient entry in the GT class.

"Corvette Racing's fourth win in the Michelin Green X Challenge this year is a testament to the interest and dedication that Chevrolet has in finding innovative ways to improve the efficiency of its road-going vehicles, and we lead the way in racing," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan.

"Not every race goes exactly as you plan it, and this was one of those events," Fehan noted. "We had a very unfortunate and uncharacteristic gearbox failure in the No. 3 Corvette that knocked it out of competition. As so often happens, the team rallied around the No. 4 Corvette. Although the drivers were happy with the car, we couldn't maintain the pace with the leaders. The crew ran great pit stops, the engineers had great fuel strategy, and everyone executed well – but today we finished fourth. We'll happily take that as we move into winter testing."

ABC will televise Petit Le Mans on Sunday, October 2, at 4 p.m. ET. Corvette Racing’s next event is the 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on Saturday, March 17, 2012.

Petit Le Mans GT Results (Top 10):

1. 51 Fisichella/Bruni/Kaffer, Ferrari 458 Italia, 367

2. 045 Bergmeister/Long/Pilet, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 367

3. 55 Auberlen/Werner/Farfus, BMW M3 GT, 367

4. 4 Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook, Corvette C6.R, 366

5. 17 Henzler/Sellers/Ragginger, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 365

6. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek/Farnbacher, Ferrari F458 Italia, 365

7. 58 Firman/Jakubowski/Hallyday, Ferrari 458 Italia, 361

8. 044 Neiman/Law/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 361

9. 56 Mueller/Hand/Priaulx, BMW M3 GT, 359

10. 02 Brown/Cosmo/Bell, Ferrari F458 Italia, 357

17. 3 Beretta/Milner/Garcia, Corvette C6.R, 76

Rob Willis 10-14-2011 07:07 PM

THIS is big:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...brid-for-2012/

'Shifter 10-24-2011 06:55 PM

Anyone hear what the additional two venues will be for 2012? :lurk:

sdurg24 10-24-2011 07:21 PM

I havn't but hope it will be Watkins Glen.

'Shifter 10-24-2011 08:54 PM

I have a feeling Miller Sports Park will be back....

RX-Ben 01-18-2012 11:54 AM

Arg.
Would be nice if they let privateers run the cars:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120118/ALMS/120119828

grantar2 01-19-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RX-Ben (Post 1579768618)
Arg.
Would be nice if they let privateers run the cars:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120118/ALMS/120119828

That's why the Rolex series is so enjoyable, they do.

JEPopp 01-20-2012 03:02 PM

There is a French privateer team who runs the previous generation Peugeot cars - they won Sebring last year (Team ORECA Matmut), and have raced LeMans. Wonder if they will get the latest 908 and continue to race?

RX-Ben 01-20-2012 03:11 PM

No, they are running the Toyota LMP1 project.

grantar2 01-21-2012 09:48 PM

Would like to see the Admin's archive this thread and open a new ALMS 2012 season thread.

nickTsandman 02-13-2012 08:16 PM

My wife and I are avid fans of the ALMS Corvette Racing Team. Over the past several years we have been at Road Atlanta, Sebring, Elkhart Lake, and last year Baltimore. We were at the Rolex 24 hrs at Daytona a few weeks ago and talked to Oliver Gavin, Jan Magnussen, Antonio Garcia, and Richard Westbrook (Westy) they were driving the Spirit of Daytona, # 90 PD vette. We also spoke to Tommy Milner, and the new kid on the block, Jordan Taylor. Tommy and Jordan were driving the # 88 Camaro. All the drivers were exited with the upcoming 2012 ALMS season in there new #3 and #4 Corvette C6.R. They did quite well at the winter testing last week at Sebring.

We have several couples from our Corvette Club, http://www.4cccc.org/ who will be attending races this year at Sebring, Road America, and Road Atlanta.

cor123 02-13-2012 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nickTsandman (Post 1580006268)
My wife and I are avid fans of the ALMS Corvette Racing Team. Over the past several years we have been at Road Atlanta, Sebring, Elkhart Lake, and last year Baltimore. We were at the Rolex 24 hrs at Daytona a few weeks ago and talked to Oliver Gavin, Jan Magnussen, Antonio Garcia, and Richard Westbrook (Westy) they were driving the Spirit of Daytona, # 90 PD vette. We also spoke to Tommy Milner, and the new kid on the block, Jordan Taylor. Tommy and Jordan were driving the # 88 Camaro. All the drivers were exited with the upcoming 2012 ALMS season in there new #3 and #4 Corvette C6.R. They did quite well at the winter testing last week at Sebring.

We have several couples from our Corvette Club, http://www.4cccc.org/ who will be attending races this year at Sebring, Road America, and Road Atlanta.

Looking forward to meeting you and your club members. We will have several club members at Sebring also: http://www.circlecitycorvettes.com/

FORGED DST 02-15-2012 12:49 PM

This should be a very, very interesting race at Sebring 2012 . A few new entries and a few rule changes should make it even better. Having 4 Corvettes should make us feel better too !!

jerry

FFIN90 02-25-2012 11:39 AM

2 Teams drop out of series

Risi Ferrari Although they might enter some races later in the year.

RSR Jaguar

dvandentop 02-25-2012 12:04 PM

was wondering how long it was tag for jag to pull out they just werent competitive.

'Shifter 03-03-2012 05:37 PM

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...all_8_1280.jpg

:rock:

cor123 03-03-2012 05:50 PM

Cool!

CanadianVetster 03-13-2012 01:09 PM

A family friend of ours jest bought a c6.r and is getting it painted to match the vorvettesnin the alms...and he has a matching suite, talk bout $$$$$

CF Editor 03-14-2012 01:21 PM

Sebring gets underway this weekend!

New cars, new driver. Should be fun to watch it all go down this Saturday.

gcope63 03-14-2012 01:46 PM

12hr of Sebring on TV?

Is the race going to be shown anywhere on TV? I have not been able to find it anywhere..

Thanks

Gary

cor123 03-14-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gcope63 (Post 1580278106)
Is the race going to be shown anywhere on TV? I have not been able to find it anywhere..

Thanks

Gary

Yes, but not live and only an abridge version on Sunday at 12:00 pm on ABC. Later American viewers will be able to watch it entirety on ALMS.com. Of course, if you have ESPN3 then you can watch it live online.

You may also be able to find it online at Justin TV:
http://www.justin.tv/rampageturke2

gcope63 03-14-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks! I will get the DVR setup for ABC!! :D

Gary

cor123 03-14-2012 02:26 PM

Sebring to Celebrate Corvette's Racing Heritage in Hall of Fame Ceremony

Sebring to Celebrate Corvette's Racing Heritage in Hall of Fame Ceremony

Chevrolet Corvette to Be Honored as First American Manufacturer in Sebring Hall of Fame

SEBRING, Fla., March 14, 2012 – Corvette's racing history runs deep at Sebring International Raceway. On Friday, March 16, Chevrolet Corvette will be honored as the first American manufacturer in the Sebring Hall of Fame. The timing of Corvette's induction is fitting, as Chevrolet celebrates 60 years of Corvette production in 2012 and Sebring stages the milestone 60th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on Saturday, March 17.

The Sebring road course is the crucible where Corvette’s racing reputation was forged. Once a training field for B-17 bomber pilots, the Hendricks Field airstrip circuit became a proving ground for legendary road racers. It was on Sebring's punishing concrete runways that Chevrolet’s fiberglass sports car first seriously challenged the European marques. On March 24, 1956, John Fitch and Walt Hansgen raced to a Class B victory at Sebring in a Corvette wearing America's traditional blue and white racing colors – the first step onto the world stage that established Chevrolet as a contender in top-level competition.

A total of 231 Corvettes have competed in the Sebring 12-hour race, and 24 of them have scored class or category victories in this legendary test of endurance. Just as Sebring evolved from a makeshift 5.2-mile airfield circuit into a 3.7-mile permanent road course, Corvette made the transition from boulevard cruiser to world-class sports car.

Victories in Sebring played a crucial role in recasting Chevrolet’s image from a producer of conservative automobiles to a company that appealed to youthful, performance-minded customers. Introduced in 1953 with a six-cylinder engine and a two-speed automatic transmission, Corvette made a great leap forward with the debut of the Chevrolet small-block V-8 in 1955. Legendary racer/engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov continually expanded Corvette's performance envelope with the development of dual four-barrel carburetors, fuel injection, Duntov-designed solid lifter camshafts, four-speed transmissions, and heavy-duty suspension packages.

Duntov was frequently at odds with the ban on corporate racing enacted by the Automobile Manufacturers Association in 1957, launching a number of unofficial programs to ensure that independent Corvette racers had the equipment they needed to compete successfully. In an era of drum brakes and three-speed gearboxes, Corvette drivers enjoyed the advantages of factory-designed performance packages.

Fresh from a record-setting session on the sands of Daytona Beach (where Duntov set the flying mile speed record at 150.583 mph), the Corvette crew hastily prepared a trio of Corvettes for the 1956 12-hour Sebring endurance race. The untested Corvettes predictably encountered teething problems, but Fitch and Hansgen persevered to finish first in Class B and ninth overall.

That first Sebring victory became the cornerstone of the Corvette legend. Chevrolet's advertising agency trumpeted the triumph with ads that declared Corvette was "The Real McCoy" and lauded Corvette as "a tough, road-gripping torpedo-on-wheels with the stamina to last through the brutal 12 hours of Sebring." Further iterations of the first-generation Corvette scored class wins at Sebring in 1957, 1958, 1960, 1961, and 1962. Notable Corvette drivers of this era included Dr. Dick Thompson, Briggs Cunningham, Jim Jeffords, 1960 Indianapolis 500 winner Jim Rathmann., Jerry Grant, Jim Hurtubise, and Don Yenko.

The Sebring Corvettes eventually sired a trio of SR Corvettes – the acronym standing for “Sebring Racer” or alternatively “Sports Racing.” Based on a Sebring Corvette chassis, the SR-2 sprouted a tail fin, racing windscreens, air scoops on the side coves, and an extended front end with driving lights that gave the machine a purposeful appearance. Corvette repeated as the GT class champion at the 1957 Sebring enduro – although it was a production model driven by Dick Thompson, "The Flying Dentist," and Gaston Andrey that took the honors.

The 1957 Corvette SS that made its competition debut in Sebring was Duntov’s technical tour de force. Conceived to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Corvette SS was a stunning machine, both visually and mechanically. A featherweight magnesium body cloaked a tubular steel space frame that featured coil-over-shock front suspension, a de Dion rear axle and inboard-mounted aluminum drum brakes. A fuel-injected small-block V-8 resided under the long, sloping hood.

A Corvette SS mule car was tested at Sebring by five-time Formula 1 world champion Juan Manuel Fangio and British ace Stirling Moss, running quick lap times in practice for the 12-hour race. Fitch and Piero Taruffi were to drive the Corvette SS in its maiden race, but suspension problems forced its retirement after only 23 laps. There was worse news in store: the Automobile Manufacturers Association announced its opposition to factory involvement in motorsports. The Corvette SS project was shelved – although the SS was resurrected long enough for Duntov to lap Daytona International Speedway at 155 mph during opening-day ceremonies in 1959.

Five lightweight Grand Sport Corvettes constructed in 1962-63 bore the unmistakable mark of Zora. Built behind closed doors when racing was officially discouraged at GM, the handful of featherweight Grand Sports kept the flame of performance alive for the Corvette faithful. Plans for a limited production run of Grand Sports were dashed when the program was canceled to comply with the AMA’s racing ban. Duntov subsequently distributed the Grand Sports to independent racers. Roger Penske and Jim Hall teamed up to win the GT Prototype class at Sebring in 1964 in a Grand Sport, with A.J. Foyt and John Cannon finishing second in Mecom Racing's Grand Sport. Two of the Grand Sports were eventually converted to roadsters, and today the five examples are among the most prized Corvettes on the planet.

Independent racers also recognized the potential of the Corvette’s small-block powertrain. Chevrolet V-8s became the preferred power source for Lister-Corvettes, Scarabs, Cheetahs and other road racing specials. Jim Hall and Hap Sharp scored an overall victory in the 1965 Sebring 12-hour in a Chaparral equipped with a Chevy small-block V-8 and automatic transmission that traced their roots to Chevrolet R&D. It was the last Sebring overall win by an all-American entry – an American car driven by American drivers.

The arrival of the third-generation Corvette in 1968 sparked a racing revival in Sebring. Now armed with big-block Chevrolet V-8 engines, drivers like John Greenwood (teamed with entertainer Dick Smothers), Tony DeLorenzo, Jerry Thompson, David Heinz, and Bob Johnson put Corvette in the Sebring winner's circle. Corvettes won the GT class at Sebring in 1968, 1970, 1971, and 1972.

Corvette participation peaked in 1973 when18 Corvettes started the Sebring 12-hour race. In the 1973 enduro, Ron Grable, John Greenwood, and Mike Brockman finished third overall, Corvette's highest finishing position until Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta, and Jan Magnussen duplicated the feat by finishing third overall in 2006 in a Corvette C6.R.

The 1980s saw the advent of the IMSA GTP era and a battle royal among manufacturers. Chevrolet's entry in the Camel GT wars was the Corvette GTP, based on a Lola chassis and powered by a turbocharged Chevy V-6 that pumped out more than 1,000 horsepower at full boost. The Corvette GTP proved to be fast but fragile at Sebring, recording a best finish of ninth in 1988 with drivers Sarel Van der Merwe and Elliott Forbes-Robinson in Hendrick Motorsports' entry.

Wally Dallenbach, Jr. and John Jones scored the only class win by a fourth-generation Corvette in the Sebring 12-hour in 1988, taking the GTO trophy in a Corvette built by Protofab. One of the principals of Protofab was Gary Pratt, who would later become the co-owner of Pratt & Miller Engineering, Chevrolet's technical partner in the Corvette Racing program.

Corvette Racing notched the first of its seven Sebring class victories in 2002 with a Corvette C5-R driven by Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell and Oliver Gavin. With wins the previous year in the Daytona and Le Mans 24-hour races, the Chevrolet team added the third jewel in endurance racing's Triple Crown at Sebring. O'Connell became the most prolific racer in Sebring history when he tallied his eighth career class win (and fifth with Corvette Racing) at Sebring in 2009. O'Connell also will be inducted into the Sebring Hall of Fame on Friday.

Corvette Racing will write another page in Corvette's racing history at Sebring on Saturday with the latest evolution of the Corvette C6.R and an all-star team of drivers. The 60th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida will begin at 10:30 a.m. EDT, with live video on ESPN3.com. ABC will televise the race at 12:00 p.m. EDT on Sunday, March 18.

Pics when this posted on the site: http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...olet/news.html

cor123 03-14-2012 02:55 PM

Sebring Media Schedule

2012 60th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida

Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Florida, USA
March 14 - 17, 2012

ESPN3 Qualifying Stream: 3/16/12 - 3:15 PM EDT
ESPN3 Race Stream: 3/17/12 - 10:15 AM EDT
ABC TV Broadcast: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 12:00 PM EDT

U.S. residents: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/

non-U.S. residents: http://americanlemans.com/index.php
http://www.alms.com/alms-tv

Justin TV link: http://www.justin.tv/rampageturke2

Sebring Area: WHRT-17
Sebring Comcast: Channel 7 ?

LIVE TIMING:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/lt/ltc.html
http://scoring.alms.com/

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.alms.com/mobile.html

SEBRING PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/almsnotes

RADIO ALMS
http://www.americanlemans.com/

Sebring Entry List
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...try%20List.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.andyblackmoredesign.com/

Corvette Corral:
http://www.alms.com/sites/default/fi...e%20Corral.pdf

Sebring Schedule:
SCHEDULE:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...20Schedule.pdf

ALMS forums:
(must sign up)

ALMS Fans:
http://www.americanlemansfans.com/vi...350df215e63d0e

10 Tenths Motorsport:
http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132268

cebars 03-14-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cor123 (Post 1580278526)
Yes, but not live and only an abridge version on Sunday at 12:00 pm on ABC. Later American viewers will be able to watch it entirety on ALMS.com. Of course, if you have ESPN3 then you can watch it live online.

You may also be able to find it online at Justin TV:
http://www.justin.tv/rampageturke2

Is my understanding correct that Canadian viewers will be able to get it live on alms.com?.....with all the additional features:
- Live timing and scoring.
- Eight in-car cameras for teams http://www.americanlemans.com/articl...r-extravaganza
- Viewers can toggle between the in-car audio featuring driver-to-pit radio communication and the ALMS Radio feed featuring John Hindhaugh and Jeremy Shaw.
- “Snoop Cam” allows you to check on John and Jeremy during their call of the race.

Is the justin tv feed live and does it include all the additional features listed above?

RANT
...don't bother reading unless you want to understand my frustration...

Last year trying to figure out where to get the feed for CDA from the americanlemans.com site was problematic. I ended up relying on somebody's (maybe your's) post on this Forum to get set up to watch.

ALMS needs to make it easier for viewers to determine what and how they can access live programming...http://www.alms.com/races/60th-anniv...-hours-sebring
No mention about alms.com live feed for outside US.

Searched the ALMS site to find what the heck was happening in 2012 and looked in the FAQ's....http://www.americanlemans.com/alms101/how-watch-faqs#1 for Canada. The FAQ stated:
"Q. I live in Canada. Can I get the races?
A. ABC is distributed in Canada and available to Canadians. ESPN2 is available in some locations. ESPN3.com, while not currently available in Canada, may be able to access via a variety of global web-based platforms such as ESPN360, ESPN Player or americanlemans.com. Additionally, ALMS is actively working on a separate international television rights agreements with a number of Canadian networks and/or distribution outlets and will confirm 2011 distribution plans prior to the start of the season in March."
"may be able to access via....americanlemans.com" Either we are getting it or we aren't. Maybe "may" was just a bad choice of word and should have been "will". Anyway this looks like a 2011 FAQ.
Note that the FAQ refers to 2011 distrubution plans. FAQ needs updating.

After alot of searching the alms site found this:
http://www.alms.com/articles/alms-wa...r-extravaganza

"The 2012 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón begins with the 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida on Saturday on March 17. The race, set for 10:30 a.m. ET, will be broadcast at noon March 18 on ABC and shown live on ESPN3.

The race is available to international audiences on MotorsTV in Europe, Fox Latin America, Rogers Sportnet in Canada, ESPN International, Fox Mideast and on ALMS.com."

OK, finally found it on the ALMS site above but that was a fluke as I found it when I was looking at the in-car camera addition.

and from Autoweek...
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...n=awdailydrive

"To be clear: All ALMS races and qualifying sessions will be broadcast live and in their entirety on ESPN3.com, and for viewers outside the U.S., via ALMS.com. The lone exception will be the Mid-Ohio race, which ESPN3.com will not carry during ABC’s live broadcast."

END OF RANT...HOPE ALMS READS THIS.