CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Top Tier Gasolines - Sunoco Not Top tier? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2647269-top-tier-gasolines-sunoco-not-top-tier.html)

AU N EGL 07-30-2010 06:47 AM

One can still buy Sunoco 100 octane at a few stations through out the county

or Spirit 100 octane race fuel.

johninar 07-30-2010 09:20 AM

The EPA does have a say in octane levels. 93 available in Arkansas, 91 in Oklahoma.
It has to do with air quality sampling. I fill my extra gas jugs just before going across the line.

rwilkins 05-30-2011 09:15 AM

Sea Foam

I use Sunoco 93 on the corner near my house. Along with all the doubt of gasoline quality and my gas gauge sticking, I'll be using a pint of Sea Foam once in a while. Guys at my local NAPA swear by it. They put it in gas motor they have....can't put too much in, they say. Seems to me, they are unbiased, so that's what I'll be doing as well. From my C5 to me lawn mower...............what say you? :toetap:

parkerracing 05-30-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by rfn026 (Post 1574833810)
Keep in mind that the sign on the pump has almost nothing to do with who refines the gasoline. Sunoco for instance has a lot of stations in Florida but their refinery is in Philly. You actually think we get that product in Florida?
Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog

Wasn't always that way (at least in NJ). Sunoco used to deliver ONLY from their own refinery and in their own tankers.

MyOwn69 05-30-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by parkerracing (Post 1577747981)
Wasn't always that way (at least in NJ). Sunoco used to deliver ONLY from their own refinery and in their own tankers.

I'm afraid that's also from the time when one station would always cut their price 1 or 2 cents JUST to be under the other down the road :yesnod:.
Now, look how many are ALL the same price. :willy:

Everett Ogilvie 05-30-2011 07:20 PM

Long ago I worked at a refinery as a summer job - it was "enlightening" to see the different trucks fill up there with the same gas; Exxon, Mobil, Texaco, Plateau, Shamrock, etc........ like others have said the base fuel was identical, with the only difference being additives specified by the various purchasers of the fuel.

wacker 01-04-2016 12:55 PM

Wouldn't use it

Originally Posted by rwilkins (Post 1577745621)
I use Sunoco 93 on the corner near my house. Along with all the doubt of gasoline quality and my gas gauge sticking, I'll be using a pint of Sea Foam once in a while. Guys at my local NAPA swear by it. They put it in gas motor they have....can't put too much in, they say. Seems to me, they are unbiased, so that's what I'll be doing as well. From my C5 to me lawn mower...............what say you? :toetap:

I know this thread is old but... In July of 2015 I went to Carlisle, they had a seminar and the subject of fuel additives was brought up. One guy said that he used Sea Foam. The senior tech that was there said NEVER use sea foam. It has corrosive ingredients in it that ruin electronics in the tank.Just putting this out there

NemesisC5 01-04-2016 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by shakedown067 (Post 1574833958)
Correct. Refineries sell to distributers. The distributers then put in the additives that each company requires and deliver to those stations. A big reason Shell and Chevron are typically more expensive as it's extra effort for the distributer.

I sell to the refining industry here in Texas and inside the gates every day. I've never asked who mixes in the additives but I can say that Techron solved an issue I had with a fuel gauge sending unit. Instead of buying a bottle of Techron I just filled up next tank and before 40% ran through it was functioning properly. I read about the Techron additive here on CF so tried it and it worked.

ROBMARZ 01-04-2016 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Z11409 (Post 1574840260)

SUNCOR Energy in the list is Sunoco. In Canada it is marketed under the Petro Canada brand. Sunoco is Top Tier.

Supercharged111 01-05-2016 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1574844315)
I wonder if most of the additives are for the normal driver. When we get our cars on track at WOT, that seems to burn all the crap and any build up. Cars run great then

Just about All fuels in the US is at least E10 and up to E15. Stations can have up to E15 without posting a sign about Etoh content.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...getrealgas.jpg

As I passed through NE, I noticed the pumps there (at the station I was fueling from) carried 87 w/o ethanol, 87 w/ethanol, and 91 octane (w/ethanol). So were the 87s closer in ethanol content than advertised? My pigs all take 91, so moot point for this guy.

rfn026 01-05-2016 06:55 AM

E10 is bad. E15 is really really bad. None of our cars were ever designed for E15.

We can use E10 and have minimal problems.

Here in FL we're lucky to have Racetrac stations that sell ethanol free gas. The problem is the octane is fairly low (87 Octane).

Richard Newton

Gordy M 01-05-2016 02:00 PM

In Metro Detroit it is easy to find out which tank farm the gas comes from, one has 92 octane and the other sells 93 Octane. When I first started using some of the 92 octane, I ran into the fuel gauge problem--showing out of gas. Now I only use the 93 octane and have not had a problem in several years.

An N Gel, you map does not show the Enbridge crude pipeline crossing Michigan at the Straits of Mackinaw and going to Sarnia, Ont.