CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Engine has been sitting 14 months. Has not turned over... Pre-Oil Question? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2591783-engine-has-been-sitting-14-months-has-not-turned-over-pre-oil-question.html)

The Green Rocket 05-11-2010 03:52 AM

14 months is just a blink, no worries at all. Properly stored, 5-6 years is possible. I believe that GM Parts has a 7 year shelf life on engine assemblies.

It is super easy to make an pre-oiler pressurizer for some extra peace of mind: from your hardware store get a one of those heavy duty hand pump pesticide sprayers - the type that have a floor cylinder with a hand pump and a hose. Change out the sprayer hose end for a pipe fitting to screw into the engine block where your oil pressure sender goes. Fill the cylinder with any light weight synthetic engine oil and pump it into the block. You should be good to go.

Thomas

mr.beachcomber 05-11-2010 10:03 AM

Whoops!

Originally Posted by MK 82 (Post 1574029266)
It's an LT1 so your oiling method won't work...

Good catch! My error. I didn't realized he had a '94 until I checked his profile.

mr.beachcomber 05-11-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Green Rocket (Post 1574034804)
...It is super easy to make an pre-oiler pressurizer for some extra peace of mind: from your hardware store get a one of those heavy duty hand pump pesticide sprayers - the type that have a floor cylinder with a hand pump and a hose. Change out the sprayer hose end for a pipe fitting to screw into the engine block where your oil pressure sender goes. Fill the cylinder with any light weight synthetic engine oil and pump it into the block. You should be good to go.

In theory this should work. We used the same approach in the shop except we had a sump tank filled with two quarts of oil that we pressurized to 50 PSI and then connected it to the block to pre-lube a new engine. Not sure how much pressure those sprayers generate, but it's worth a try.

jakers 05-11-2010 01:08 PM

Thanks!

Thanks Folks! :thumbs: I had a feeling that most would say "Fire it up..." I do over thinking things from time to time and this appears to be one of them. I did add stabilizer so I am thinking that I may be OK on that one. If not I will pump it our and refill. Now I just have to finish the project! :cheers:

pappy.72 05-11-2010 02:49 PM

Use a bunch of starter fluid...the oxygen sensors love it. Kidding. Just start it up and change the oil after the filter has had a few minutes to catch all the settled junk.

VtVette 05-11-2010 10:22 PM

I bought a 1985 in '97 that had been sitting for 8 years. It was a basket case so the whole front end was off the car. I removed the heads to replace the head gaskets so I had a good look at the cylinders. I assumed the rings may have been seized to the cylinder walls from sitting so long. I poured marvels mystery oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. Then I slowly cranked the engine over by hand. No issues whatsoever - cranked nice and easy. No discernible marks on the cylinder walls where the rings had been resting for years. Put the car back together and drove it for the summer with no issues at all.