CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Does all Gas have 10% Ethanol? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2498136-does-all-gas-have-10-ethanol.html)

lp2004z06 12-31-2009 02:47 PM

Does all Gas have 10% Ethanol?

Just saw a post where a guy from IN said there is a Shell gas station in his area that doesn't have the 10% Ethanol. Is there anywhere in Eastern PA or Central Jersey that you can get gas without the Ethanol? I thought it was mandatory to have ethanol in the fuel. Am I wrong?
Thanks

jbondfl 12-31-2009 03:18 PM

Can't really ever say ALL without being wrong.

Most gas has up to 10% ethanol. It's an emissions thing. Ethanol is used in place of PTFE taht was used but is highly toxic and leached into the ground from tanks.

If you really must have ethanol free ( and honestly 10% isn't going to hurt anything on your car) you could try marine fuel. I think most of that is still ethanol free.

stingraymyway 12-31-2009 03:48 PM

Not all gas does. There's a couple of stations in my area that have signs up stating "no ethanol". The cost is a little more per gallon, go figure......., I hope they're being honest. :blueangel:

Blu Angel 12-31-2009 04:05 PM

In Canada at my local Shell retailer

regular gasoline......10 % ethanal

mid-grade gas..........5 % ethanol

premium gas...........0 % ethanol

Optimus_C5 12-31-2009 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by jbondfl (Post 1572598301)

Most gas has up to 10% ethanol. It's an emissions thing. Ethanol is used in place of PTFE taht was used but is highly toxic and leached into the ground from tanks.

If you really must have ethanol free ( and honestly 10% isn't going to hurt anything on your car) you could try marine fuel. I think most of that is still ethanol free.

:iagree:

Convenience stores around marina's with a boat launch is your best chance for 100% gasoline. A lot of their business is marine since they are typically cheaper than the marina. Boats are also a high ticket ring for them since the larger tow-able boats have relatively large tanks.

:cheers:

peter pan 12-31-2009 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty much all the stations around the San Antonio area do, atleast where I fill upAttachment 48180129

SugarDemon 12-31-2009 05:22 PM

Plenty of stations around OKC without ethanol. Even the Murphy's Oil (Wal Mart) here has non-ethanol.....at least until it goes up to 4 bucks again.

'99 SLP#24 12-31-2009 05:25 PM

Yeah there are quite a few stations in OKC that run no ethanol. Oklahoma made it a state law a few years ago that it must be posted on the pump if the station is putting blending ethanol in.

dominic9 12-31-2009 05:31 PM

All land and marine gasoline in NJ is E10. Only aviation fuel is E-Free.

Mr.Bill 12-31-2009 06:08 PM

Here in Reno you will find 10% from November till March, A winter thing.

itzza427 12-31-2009 06:25 PM

I believe pretty much all Illinois and Missouri is 10%E. I know for a fact for at leas a couple hundred mile radius from St.Louis is. From what I have read the state of Illinois is actively promoting ethanol use!!:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

jrose7004 12-31-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by '99 SLP#24 (Post 1572599596)
Yeah there are quite a few stations in OKC that run no ethanol. Oklahoma made it a state law a few years ago that it must be posted on the pump if the station is putting blending ethanol in.

:iagree:

prseasix 01-01-2010 02:17 AM

Around here in NW FL, that's all I seem to recall seeing.

tstar 01-01-2010 07:01 AM

Kwik-Fill has no Ethanol and is made from USA crude in the US;

http://www.kwikfill.com/home/home.php

rws.1 01-01-2010 11:37 AM

I thought the EPA ruled all gasoline had to contain 10% ethanol about 2 years ago....
Guess I need to do some research...

waunavet 01-01-2010 11:58 AM

In WI, some Shell stations have hi-test (91) that is 100% gasoline. As mentioned above, marinas usually have no ethanol premium because of the problems older boats can have buring corn gas.

waunavet 01-01-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by rws.1 (Post 1572606261)
I thought the EPA ruled all gasoline had to contain 10% ethanol about 2 years ago....
Guess I need to do some research...

Still a states rights issue.

SugarDemon 01-01-2010 12:58 PM

I think the federal government has a mandate targeting ethanol capacity that must be introduced into the national fuel supply. So many billions of gallons must be produced and the mandate increases every few years. Unfortunately, everyone jumped into the ethanol production business at once and a huge amount of overcapacity developed. It seemed like a no brainer as the federal mandate, the tax credits, and increasing demand due to high oil prices made it very appealing.

I worked a bunch of ethanol plant loans in NYC last spring (including this one) and you couldn't hardly give those plants away.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ol_plants.html

waunavet 01-01-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SugarDemon (Post 1572607168)
I think the federal government has a mandate targeting ethanol capacity that must be introduced into the national fuel supply. So many billions of gallons must be produced and the mandate increases every few years. Unfortunately, everyone jumped into the ethanol production business at once and a huge amount of overcapacity developed. It seemed like a no brainer as the federal mandate, the tax credits, and increasing demand due to high oil prices made it very appealing.

I worked a bunch of ethanol plant loans in NYC last spring (including this one) and you couldn't hardly give those plants away.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ol_plants.html

Several in WI have gone under partially due to lower commodity prices.

TR Vert 01-01-2010 01:40 PM

That is a learning for me.... I thought all gas was the same.

Bill Dearborn 01-01-2010 03:53 PM

Several years ago the EPA said that the oil companies could no longer use MTBE in the fuel to cut exhaust emissions. MTBE was mandated for use in quite a few areas around the country but not all. The mandated substitute for MTBE is Ethanol at 10% of the fuel. 10% Ethanol cuts down on polution. All of the other Ethanol mixes have something to do with cutting down on carbon emissions. When they made the switch we had several months of gasoline shortages in my area because the Ethanol manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand.

Bill

SCM_Crash 01-01-2010 04:09 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would thing Ethanol was a bad thing. The truth is that it's cleaner and naturally has a higher octane rating.

E85 alone has a 105-106 octane rating. F.I. race cars use E85 because it's cheaper than C16 and works extremely well for racing.

Some will argue that you get worse mileage with the added 10-15% added to standard pump gas (which is true) but not by much. My Z06 ran 91 (with 15% Ethanol) and still got between 28-30MPG on the highway at 70MPH. But I've heard from many sources that they got 1-2 MPG less overall with 10-15% ethanol. HOWEVER, the good thing about that percentage is that it actually is quite GOOD for your car. Most fuel injection cleaners are actually just alcohol with a couple additives. Ethanol additives actually help clean your fuel system. It also burns longer and cooler than gasoline.

Technically, if you use 10% ethanol blended gasoline, you shouldn't ever need a fuel injection cleaner. I use 91 octane Chevron gas. Here it has a 10% mix. I didn't ever need injector cleaner. I did however try it once and didn't see a single benefit from it.

waunavet 01-01-2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1572608954)
I'm not sure why anyone would thing Ethanol was a bad thing. The truth is that it's cleaner and naturally has a higher octane rating.

E85 alone has a 105-106 octane rating. F.I. race cars use E85 because it's cheaper than C16 and works extremely well for racing.

Some will argue that you get worse mileage with the added 10-15% added to standard pump gas (which is true) but not by much. My Z06 ran 91 (with 15% Ethanol) and still got between 28-30MPG on the highway at 70MPH. But I've heard from many sources that they got 1-2 MPG less overall with 10-15% ethanol. HOWEVER, the good thing about that percentage is that it actually is quite GOOD for your car. Most fuel injection cleaners are actually just alcohol with a couple additives. Ethanol additives actually help clean your fuel system. It also burns longer and cooler than gasoline.

Technically, if you use 10% ethanol blended gasoline, you shouldn't ever need a fuel injection cleaner. I use 91 octane Chevron gas. Here it has a 10% mix. I didn't ever need injector cleaner. I did however try it once and didn't see a single benefit from it.

I drive out of my way to buy non ethanol gasoline. Although much of what you say is true, what hasn't been addressed is the political side of ethanol production in the U.S. However, let's not ruin this thread with that discussion and instead keep it educational for those who have just learned that not all gasoline is still their father's gasoline.

SCM_Crash 01-01-2010 05:11 PM

I agree with what you said. And yeah, I'd say that the politics behind Ethanol suck. But here in Cali, we don't have a choice either way. ALL gasoline options here in California are Ethanol blends except for 100+ octane which can be had at certain Union 76 stations for twice the price of 91.

waunavet 01-01-2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1572609436)
I agree with what you said. And yeah, I'd say that the politics behind Ethanol suck. But here in Cali, we don't have a choice either way. ALL gasoline options here in California are Ethanol blends except for 100+ octane which can be had at certain Union 76 stations for twice the price of 91.

Up here in the 'frozen tundra' (oxymoron) of Wisconsin you can still find real gas which is 91 octane. Many of the marinas stock only non ethanol fuel too. Of course everything good comes with a price and 100% gasoline is usually 10 cents more than premium with corn-derived fuel. The UW Madison received a $250 million grant to find a low energy intensive way of extracting sugars from plants other than ag feed stocks. If/when successful, our buddies in the land of oil and sand may have to adjust to a slightly lower standard of living.

Silverbullet00 01-01-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by waunavet (Post 1572609395)
I drive out of my way to buy non ethanol gasoline. Although much of what you say is true, what hasn't been addressed is the political side of ethanol production in the U.S. However, let's not ruin this thread with that discussion and instead keep it educational for those who have just learned that not all gasoline is still their father's gasoline.

Oh lets' good ahead and ruin it but not before a few facts. Ethanol is highly corrosive to aluminum, rubber, etc. I also has a limited shelf life when compared to pure gasoline. Gas mileage is less for sure.

Your tax dollars prop up the ethanol business. It actually costs more to produce that gasoline and the diff is made up for political reasons with you tax dollars. Say Thank you corn farmers. I'll quit there for now!:willy:

waunavet 01-01-2010 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1572610126)
Oh lets' good ahead and ruin it but not before a few facts. Ethanol is highly corrosive to aluminum, rubber, etc. I also has a limited shelf life when compared to pure gasoline. Gas mileage is less for sure.

Your tax dollars prop up the ethanol business. It actually costs more to produce that gasoline and the diff is made up for political reasons with you tax dollars. Say Thank you corn farmers. I'll quit there for now!:willy:

Now, now.........put down your keyboard and take a couple deep breaths. Yes, what you say is true. But as stated earlier, let's keep the thread a basic educational lesson that affirms all gas is not equal. All the why's and how's are for another day.

Silverbullet00 01-01-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by waunavet (Post 1572611217)
Now, now.........put down your keyboard and take a couple deep breaths. Yes, what you say is true. But as stated earlier, let's keep the thread a basic educational lesson that affirms all gas is not equal. All the why's and how's are for another day.

Well spoken retort! Facts shouldn't clutter up BS fuel type discussions!:D

waunavet 01-01-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1572611300)
Well spoken retort! Facts shouldn't clutter up BS fuel type discussions!:D

That's better.;)

tsts 01-01-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00 (Post 1572610126)
Gas mileage is less for sure.:willy:

I'll ditto that!

Rupert 01-01-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jbondfl (Post 1572598301)

I think you meant ethanol is to replace MTBE. I believe PTFE is teflon.

Vetteman Jack 01-02-2010 01:23 AM

I've seen one station around here that advertises no alcohol in their premium gas.