CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Replacement Optispark and Water pump install - Part 1 (includes pictures) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2461779-replacement-optispark-and-water-pump-install-part-1-includes-pictures.html)

helphos 06-10-2010 11:00 PM

Waterpump and Optispark replacement

LT1*C4- Thank you for taking the time to document your project and then post it here.
That looks like a great winter project!

UPDATE (9/28/2011): MUCHO Thanks for the write up. Soon after I wrote my post, my Opti started crapping out. poor performance and backfiring. I replaced other parts in hopes that I wouldnt have to replace the Opti, but eventually I bit the bullet.
Your detailed explanation was a great help. I left my throttle body in place, but I followed your other steps verbatim.

It must have been getting ready to go when I bought the Vette 18 months ago. With the new Opti, it runs better than when I bought it!!
I also put locktite on the rotor screws and sealed it with RTV on the top 3/4.

Jim Strathearn 06-17-2010 12:13 PM

This is a great thread and "how-to". However, I cannot remove the water pump from the engine compartment no matter how I turn/angle it. I have a '95 and the a/c canister thingy prevents it from coming straight out, and the air pump/alternator bracket keeps it from coming out that way. Any thoughts? Thanks!

nickxf250 06-17-2010 02:02 PM

Can you put up some pictures as to why the water pump will not come out? Maybe we can help you. I just can't comprehend why it will not come out. I have a 96 and my WP is easy to remove.

Jim Strathearn 06-17-2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by nickxf250 (Post 1574425654)
Can you put up some pictures as to why the water pump will not come out? Maybe we can help you. I just can't comprehend why it will not come out. I have a 96 and my WP is easy to remove.

Yea, it's probably just a "me" thing, but I'm stuck. I actually started another thread specific to my problem here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ment-help.html

Pics are in reply #7.

neverendingprojects 06-17-2010 05:29 PM

Excellent Post here with some great pics, it should be made a sticky at the top of page!:thumbs:

CAJUN C4 06-30-2010 04:19 PM

Superb....I feel so much better knowing it's not all gloom & doom.

Thanx so much.I just printed everything out.My 95' has 95K mi. runs great for now.Knock on wood.

tblt44 08-15-2010 09:48 AM

I know this is an older thread but to remove the crankshaft pulley,is all I have to do is remove the 3 bolts???
I don't need a puller????
Where is the harmonic balencer??
mine is a 95

STL94LT1 08-15-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tblt44 (Post 1575015907)
I know this is an older thread but to remove the crankshaft pulley,is all I have to do is remove the 3 bolts???
mine is a 95

Yes, three bolts and a little persuasion will remove the pulley/balancer/dampner (they are one in the same).

AustinJohn 08-15-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by tblt44 (Post 1575015907)
mine is a 95

If you'll go back up about 15 posts you'll find my exchanges with a couple of other posters as I was struggling to remove my pulley as well as my longer post after doing so. The success in "knocking it loose" seems to vary from car to car and person to person. Some folks have it slide right off with a few taps; others - like me - find it nearly welded on through rust.

As my long post indicated, if I had to do it over again and met the same resistance from the pulley, I would use a puller rather than continuing to try to knock it loose but that's just one man's opinion.

John

larry93lt1 08-15-2010 12:10 PM

Great Job ! Obviously your knack for misplacing previous jobs didn't apply here.

You could burn a CD and pay for your water pump install in two or three days, I'd be the first to buy one.

This is what the Forum is all about.

I've replaced the water pump three times, my opti was replaced twice, once under warranty again 60 K later when the pump pissed on it in my '93.

Just replaced the water pump on the '92 and dreading having to disassemble the dash on it to replace the heater core which is DOA but the bypass is still holding and colder weather is still a few months off.

I'm thinking the electric water pump will be part of that project thanks to your info and pics.

Nick DL 08-15-2010 10:01 PM

Great write up, thanks. As others have said, this should be a STICKY!

jsims002 11-25-2010 06:37 PM

Awesome thread!!!

drmrman 11-26-2010 11:31 AM

Just a little tid bit for this thread.

I replaced my opti with a ACDelco unit and it crapped out on me in 1200 miles. I replaced the ACdelco with a more expensive dynaspark unit. And I havent had a problem yet.

Be prepared to do this job twice if you try to fix your opti with just "okay" parts. Unfortunately this is an area you should not really cheap out.

TorchRedlt4man 11-27-2010 09:41 AM

Awesome write-up and pics! Best I have ever seen!

Just as an addendum:

My LT4 has over 117,000 original owner (Me!) miles with the original opti.

I replaced the cap & rotor at 90,000 miles with the Accel cap & rotor.

The Accel cap & rotor kit comes with two (2) formed silicone gaskets to use sealing up the opti. They are very thin, but worked great!

BTW, I found my rotor bolts at the bottom of the opti. I had a high RPM miss which is no longer there. Hurray!

SAVE the WAVE! :seeya

seijack 11-27-2010 06:34 PM

Great write up and pictures!!!!!!!!!!! Almost exacly how I did mine. Except I went with an MSD Opti and a new delco water pump...:cheers:

Never2Late 12-02-2010 12:10 AM

Nicely done! Thanks for taking the time to post such details, I wish I had your post before I changed mine on my '94. The major difference? I didn't remove my TB, it wasn't in the way at all. My only recommendation to anyone going to undertake this job? Don't replace your opti-spark with a factory original. I instead chose the go the billet aluminum route and purchased am MSD unit, far superior to the factory replacement. And if it gets wet...it won't crap out like the original did. I also replaced all my hoses, my water pump, my serp belt and plug wires while there. Overall? You get an A+ from me dude...very nicely done. Thanks for sharing with the group.

ronniebfla 12-17-2010 11:12 AM

x-country trip

Originally Posted by 92PGC (Post 1572037637)
I have 70K on my 92, but want to drive it cross country next summer, so for peace of mind I plan on doing this job in the winter. this thread will be very helpvful. thanks.

I too am at the point of corvette opti spark as well as some of the other replacements needed at 91k miles on my 94. I am 43 and was hurt in 9-11 and back and legs are not doing to well plus 3 heart attacks. Reason I bring that in is because as a life long vette a holic with a 1980,88,94 under my belt One major thing on my bucket list is to take my vette cross country and see the middle American farm lands , back roads and stop at all the corvette iconic places. I was told that in time it will be impossible to get in and out of my car . So basicly my. 94 is in very good shape,but needs an update. I really like the electric water pump idea. I am going with the delco,LEM opti, polyeurothane bushings, tighten up suspension (for exciting country roads) Anyone HAVE SUGGESTIons for what kind of shocks to go with and anyone else have experience in cross country trips and prior replacements,upgrades etc to a LT 1 Higher milage vette. Looking for preventative mantence or something I should check or not over look before I go out on my own and not run into any major costly problems

94vettelover2 12-17-2010 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ronniebfla (Post 1576242079)
I too am at the point of corvette opti spark as well as some of the other replacements needed at 91k miles on my 94. I am 43 and was hurt in 9-11 and back and legs are not doing to well plus 3 heart attacks. Reason I bring that in is because as a life long vette a holic with a 1980,88,94 under my belt One major thing on my bucket list is to take my vette cross country and see the middle American farm lands , back roads and stop at all the corvette iconic places. I was told that in time it will be impossible to get in and out of my car . So basicly my. 94 is in very good shape,but needs an update. I really like the electric water pump idea. I am going with the delco,LEM opti, polyeurothane bushings, tighten up suspension (for exciting country roads) Anyone HAVE SUGGESTIons for what kind of shocks to go with and anyone else have experience in cross country trips and prior replacements,upgrades etc to a LT 1 Higher milage vette. Looking for preventative mantence or something I should check or not over look before I go out on my own and not run into any major costly problems

Hope everything works out for the best for you.If I was you I would not install the poly bushings as that will cause a rougher ride as it don't have the "give" that rubber bushings have.I would install rubber bushings & softer shocks if planning a long road trip as the roads are poorly maintained in many parts of the country.Before the "trip",I would throughly check over the car checking suspension,engine,fluids,& do all the maintaince & preventive maintaince that can be done.I would even replace the waterpump,starter,alternator,& battery if older than 4 years so you don't have to worry about these items failing.Thats what I would do if money isn't too tight.Good luck with everything & I'll pray for you:cheers:

AustinJohn 12-17-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ronniebfla (Post 1576242079)
Anyone HAVE SUGGESTIons for what kind of shocks to go with and anyone else have experience in cross country trips and prior replacements,upgrades etc to a LT 1 Higher milage vette. Looking for preventative mantence or something I should check or not over look before I go out on my own and not run into any major costly problems

Here's an optimistic response: my '94 just turned 175k and in the last three years she and I have been from Austin to Bowling Green, Memphis (twice) and Winslow (twice) with about 60 "days on the road" in just those trips. In addition she's my daily driver which in Texas means a lot of miles. So what you're planning can be done.

My experience is realistically no amount of head-scratching and preparation can catch every problem but it may (and has for me) been worthwhile. Before each trip I usually take 2-3 shakedown runs of from 200-300 miles each and every one seems to identify something I hadn't thought about before.

As to specific suggestions, three years ago I installed KYB shocks and Kumho Ecsta ASX tires and the combination has been a very happy one. Many of my systems are new: cooling (radiator, surge tank and cooling fans), rebuilt transmission, AC, power steering, injectors cleaned and tested, U-joints and brakes to name some that come to mind. I've also "modernized" with such things as Hella Vision Plus DOT Certified Conversion Lamps which make a big difference in visibility. And having done all the work myself with the exception of the tranny, it's been a lot easier on the pocketbook.

But my view has always been that the joy of these cars is driving them and many of these repairs have been after trips rather than before. I have a complete set of tools and some spares in a waterproof bag next to the overflow tank and always carry my FSM and other things I might need "just in case". I also belong to AAA and have used them to carry me back home from one shakedown trip.

You didn't ask but I'll recommend a couple of ideas you might find fun or helpful. Lapping America: A Man, A Corvette, and the Interstate by Claude Clayton Smith tells about a college professor who drives his '95 around America. Then Corvette Roadtrip has some recommendations. And last I googled for "road trip Corvette" and found all sorts of articles, videos and other things.

My kids think at age 70 maybe I should take shorter trips (or none at all) or maybe get another hobby but having just bought another Vette, I'm not quite ready to hang 'em up. In fact I'm hoping when you return smiling from yours, I'll be getting ready to leave on my next one.

Hope you have a wonderful experience.

John

mjfox 02-14-2011 09:58 PM

Hi
Where did you buy the opti and for how much ,also how come you didnt vent it.
Can you also send the file as a word or other type document.

Thanks mike
mfox5@cogeco.ca