CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   What are the tax implications of winning a car in CM raffle? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2439327-what-are-the-tax-implications-of-winning-a-car-in-cm-raffle.html)

mgtr 10-03-2009 01:18 AM

What are the tax implications of winning a car in CM raffle?

I have wondered for some time how this workds. Is the value of car considered regular income (bummer) or is it tax free? I would be willing to buy a ticket or two for a GS vert if it is tax free, but not if I have to pay significant income tax on it. Thanks for any info.

chiefzusaf 10-03-2009 01:20 AM

you need to come back in out of the sun...

dumpster 10-03-2009 01:28 AM

Yea, I agree. When I won that lottery thing a few years ago, they said they couldn't pay me the money all at once, but over a 20 year period! I can't wait that long so I told them to just give me my dollar back!

Shortimer 10-03-2009 01:29 AM

No free lunch even with the NCM raffles. You would have to pay taxes on the retail value of the car. I can't qoute an exact figure but plan on a few grand and that could be on the low side. When I buy raffles tickets I don't expect to win. I just consider it a donation. Good luck. :cheers:

WMark 10-03-2009 01:30 AM

Nothing in life is free... You pay tax on the win. I'll let our more accounting savy members chime in, but I believe you will pay federal and state tax. The amount likely depends on your current income.

In any event, if you win and want to keep the car, have a nice stash in your savings. Otherwise, it will be for sale, or your current ride.

:cheers::cheers:

Zoxxo 10-03-2009 01:31 AM

See "Prizes and Awards" near the bottom of the page:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...175963,00.html

Z//

mgtr 10-03-2009 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zoxxo (Post 1571697830)
See "Prizes and Awards" near the bottom of the page:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...175963,00.html

Z//

So, winning a $50K car in a raffle is the same as earning $50K additional . That takes some of the fun out of it. Still, it is better than a kick in the head!

humvet 10-03-2009 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mgtr (Post 1571697844)
So, winning a $50K car in a raffle is the same as earning $50K additional . That takes some of the fun out of it. Still, it is better than a kick in the head!

"Subject to certain exceptions, the cash value of prizes or awards won in a drawing, quiz show program, beauty contest, or other event, must be included on the tax return as taxable income."

The CM will issue a 1099 to the winner.

Charles Gerughty 10-03-2009 02:09 AM

Let me get this straight. If you won a $50,000 Corvette; had a marginal tax rate of say 30%, you would be upset if you had to pay $15,000 in taxes. Give the car to me and I'll pay your tax liability. :flag:

Nuclear28 10-03-2009 02:12 AM

I can't believe this question was asked. In one of my accounting classes, we discussed about the TV home repair shows, that when they turn a clunker of a house in to a masterpiece, the tax rate skyrockets, and results in the homelessness of the occupants on multiple occasions...

cranky 10-03-2009 02:13 AM

you will pay tax on the retail value of the car when you pick it up at the ncm. this is covered on the website. failure to pay tax will forfeit your prize..................:eek:

Charles Gerughty 10-03-2009 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nuclear28 (Post 1571697998)
I can't believe this question was asked. In one of my accounting classes, we discussed about the TV home repair shows, that when they turn a clunker of a house in to a masterpiece, the tax rate skyrockets, and results in the homelessness of the occupants on multiple occasions...

Two ways around this:

Sell the home and take the $250,000 (single) or $500,000 (joint) primary residence gain exemption or, if you qualify, simply refinance the house to pay the taxes.

gtovett 10-03-2009 02:42 AM

I won mine back in late 2005 and all tax, including the sales tax and capital gains tax was around 20k for a car with a sticker of 56000 in the state of California. It was a fully optioned 06.

vettnut69 10-03-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shortimer (Post 1571697821)
No free lunch even with the NCM raffles. You would have to pay taxes on the retail value of the car. I can't qoute an exact figure but plan on a few grand and that could be on the low side. When I buy raffles tickets I don't expect to win. I just consider it a donation. Good luck. :cheers:

:iagree:

inthehunt2 10-03-2009 06:54 AM

Yup on the taxes. I'd still do it. After all, when you get a 50K car and pay the 15K in taxes you still make out with 35K (well, maybe not in this market...).

mgtr 10-03-2009 07:02 AM

We are all in different tax situations. I am retired, and have structured my situation so that I pay no income tax, although I have nine cars, two houses, and a large motor coach. I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.

vettedoogie 10-03-2009 07:06 AM

It depends on your state's tax laws and, of course, specific federal tax laws. The way I have experienced this is that the fair market value of the car (as determined by who is giving it on a 1099 tax form they send into the IRS after the prize is awarded) is added right on top of the winner's income.

In most cases (but not all) there are also sales taxes to be paid. In the case of a manufacturer's award of one of their own products, you may not have to pay sales taxes since the product was never sold to anyone.

Best of luck!

oneblackvette 10-03-2009 07:11 AM

There are some raffles out there that do pay the taxes.

Where are those two Vettes offered? They pay the tax.

vettedoogie 10-03-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mgtr (Post 1571698506)
We are all in different tax situations. I am retired, and have structured my situation so that I pay no income tax, although I have nine cars, two houses, and a large motor coach. I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.

I want to talk with YOUR tax atty!

chiefzusaf 10-03-2009 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mgtr (Post 1571698506)
I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.

Well...take one for the team Al. Win it and then donate it for free on this forum and make somebody super-happy...whoever wins will obviously reimburse you for the taxes of course:thumbs:

Since you have such a great tax tax attorney why didn't you ask this question to him/her?