Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
mgtr
CF Senior Member

Default What are the tax implications of winning a car in CM raffle?

I have wondered for some time how this workds. Is the value of car considered regular income (bummer) or is it tax free? I would be willing to buy a ticket or two for a GS vert if it is tax free, but not if I have to pay significant income tax on it. Thanks for any info.
mgtr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
chiefzusaf
CF Senior Member

you need to come back in out of the sun...
chiefzusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
dumpster
CF Senior Member

Yea, I agree. When I won that lottery thing a few years ago, they said they couldn't pay me the money all at once, but over a 20 year period! I can't wait that long so I told them to just give me my dollar back!
dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Shortimer
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

No free lunch even with the NCM raffles. You would have to pay taxes on the retail value of the car. I can't qoute an exact figure but plan on a few grand and that could be on the low side. When I buy raffles tickets I don't expect to win. I just consider it a donation. Good luck.
Shortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
WMark
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Nothing in life is free... You pay tax on the win. I'll let our more accounting savy members chime in, but I believe you will pay federal and state tax. The amount likely depends on your current income.

In any event, if you win and want to keep the car, have a nice stash in your savings. Otherwise, it will be for sale, or your current ride.

WMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Zoxxo
CF Senior Member

See "Prizes and Awards" near the bottom of the page:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...175963,00.html

Z//
Zoxxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
mgtr
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoxxo View Post
See "Prizes and Awards" near the bottom of the page:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...175963,00.html

Z//
So, winning a $50K car in a raffle is the same as earning $50K additional . That takes some of the fun out of it. Still, it is better than a kick in the head!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
humvet
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
So, winning a $50K car in a raffle is the same as earning $50K additional . That takes some of the fun out of it. Still, it is better than a kick in the head!
"Subject to certain exceptions, the cash value of prizes or awards won in a drawing, quiz show program, beauty contest, or other event, must be included on the tax return as taxable income."

The CM will issue a 1099 to the winner.
humvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Charles Gerughty
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Let me get this straight. If you won a $50,000 Corvette; had a marginal tax rate of say 30%, you would be upset if you had to pay $15,000 in taxes. Give the car to me and I'll pay your tax liability.
Charles Gerughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Nuclear28
CF Senior Member

I can't believe this question was asked. In one of my accounting classes, we discussed about the TV home repair shows, that when they turn a clunker of a house in to a masterpiece, the tax rate skyrockets, and results in the homelessness of the occupants on multiple occasions...
Nuclear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
cranky
CF Senior Member

you will pay tax on the retail value of the car when you pick it up at the ncm. this is covered on the website. failure to pay tax will forfeit your prize..................
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #12
Charles Gerughty
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear28 View Post
I can't believe this question was asked. In one of my accounting classes, we discussed about the TV home repair shows, that when they turn a clunker of a house in to a masterpiece, the tax rate skyrockets, and results in the homelessness of the occupants on multiple occasions...
Two ways around this:

Sell the home and take the $250,000 (single) or $500,000 (joint) primary residence gain exemption or, if you qualify, simply refinance the house to pay the taxes.
Charles Gerughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #13
gtovett
CF Senior Member

I won mine back in late 2005 and all tax, including the sales tax and capital gains tax was around 20k for a car with a sticker of 56000 in the state of California. It was a fully optioned 06.
gtovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
vettnut69
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortimer View Post
No free lunch even with the NCM raffles. You would have to pay taxes on the retail value of the car. I can't qoute an exact figure but plan on a few grand and that could be on the low side. When I buy raffles tickets I don't expect to win. I just consider it a donation. Good luck.
vettnut69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #15
inthehunt2
CF Senior Member

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1118875825 http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=16824787&trk=tab_pro
Send a message via Yahoo to inthehunt2

Yup on the taxes. I'd still do it. After all, when you get a 50K car and pay the 15K in taxes you still make out with 35K (well, maybe not in this market...).
inthehunt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #16
mgtr
CF Senior Member

We are all in different tax situations. I am retired, and have structured my situation so that I pay no income tax, although I have nine cars, two houses, and a large motor coach. I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
vettedoogie
CF Senior Member

It depends on your state's tax laws and, of course, specific federal tax laws. The way I have experienced this is that the fair market value of the car (as determined by who is giving it on a 1099 tax form they send into the IRS after the prize is awarded) is added right on top of the winner's income.

In most cases (but not all) there are also sales taxes to be paid. In the case of a manufacturer's award of one of their own products, you may not have to pay sales taxes since the product was never sold to anyone.

Best of luck!
vettedoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
oneblackvette
CF Senior Member

There are some raffles out there that do pay the taxes.

Where are those two Vettes offered? They pay the tax.
oneblackvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #19
vettedoogie
CF Senior Member

Quote:
We are all in different tax situations. I am retired, and have structured my situation so that I pay no income tax, although I have nine cars, two houses, and a large motor coach. I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.
I want to talk with YOUR tax atty!
vettedoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
chiefzusaf
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.
Well...take one for the team Al. Win it and then donate it for free on this forum and make somebody super-happy...whoever wins will obviously reimburse you for the taxes of course

Since you have such a great tax tax attorney why didn't you ask this question to him/her?
chiefzusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page What are the tax implications of winning a car in CM raffle?

Tags
california, capital, car, contest, gains, implications, liability, raffle, raffles, raffling, rules, tax, taxes, winning, winnings