CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2387770-2008-z06-engine-failure-gm-voids-warranty.html)

3LZZ06 07-28-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jmalto (Post 1570948415)
This one, this one: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-failure.html and the one that Randy is rebuilding for a customer?

Granted the second one has suspension mods the MOTOR was still stock and so was the tune. Let's also not forget Joe's post.

So I will admit I had my timing wrong, there are still plenty of examples of cars blowing up stock.

Again, there's over 21,000 Z's out there just in the model years 06-08 and most of the failures are not from driving to chuch on Sundays... :lol:

Jasil 07-28-2009 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1570948306)
Here's another issue Jasil, if these cars had 1000HP people would be looking to mod it to 1100HP or 1200 or maybe 1300... :eek:

Where does it end is the question?... For many, it never ends. and shame on them for bitchin' when it blows! Track tires, suspension, and a tune is pretty substantial for a car that's already pretty ballsy. It comes out of the box with over 450 RWHP :eek: ...WTF man???

Next question is, who can really use all this power from the factory efficienty??? Answer: "Not many of us...period" So this fruitless search for power is in vain and is detrimental to our warranties.

There's are some that "can" use this stock power and two or three come to mind...Ranger, Jamie Furman, Frank Gonzalez...these guy run the shiz out of their stock cars on the track and strip with AWESOME results!!!

Now I would wager that "very few" on this forum with 100 more horses could touch these guys...now tell me... "What's the point of modding a car with this kind of power, and comes with a 5/100,000 drivetrain warranty when you could be throwing the warranty out the window and probably haven't gotten the most out of the 505HP it came with???"

We obviously disagree on the topic. I've posted before I don't know how many here have owned and modded other makes/models to think these engines letting go is normal and acceptable.

How many bone stock supra engines have handled 700-800whp? Over 50, some over 900whp, 2 over 1000whp.

GTR's are handling 600whp like clockwork with over 3500 cars out there and 80% tuned per Nagtroc.org only 1 engine failure a 650awhp car with a 150 shot with a solenoid suspected of malfunctioning.

4G63's used for the last 20yrs routinely handle over 500whp stock out of a 2.0. With many over the 550awhp mark trapping high 130's low 140's bone stock blocks. I can show you multiple vids of 10.20-10.40@135mph+ cars bone stock and some 9.9@142mph car too. The point being not that it's better, but here we have 2.0 bonestock matching what a 7.0L is doing and there not blowing as readily!!

Previous RB26 in old gen skylines 650+awhp.

Vipers 700whp+ current and pre 99' 900whp+ bone stock blocks.

I can go on and on, but it doesn't prove anything, except there are some bad engines out there!! All the Z06 owners are going to say is "Well go buy a GTR then you don't deserve a Z06!"

I believe there are more reliable engines out there than the LS7..... including the LS3....many put out equal/more power often out of much less displacement. I believe GM has dropped the ball on valvesprings and oiling with no fix, obviously.

With that being said I love my car. Drive the snot out of it and hope for the best ticks, noises, paranoia and all!!:rofl: I just wish GM would have done a little better of a job on certain drivetrain/engine parts and charged a extra 5k for the car!!

I'm still saving for the cam/header package!!

GrampZ 07-28-2009 08:41 PM

Zoxxo (post #69) is on the right track.

The OP needs to determine what kind of warranty he has: factory or dealer, limited or full, and written or oral (that's a lawyer term meaning "spoken" - since "verbal" can also mean written words).

If the OP's car is still covered by a written factory warranty, then that warranty is probably governed by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. That's federal law.

If the car's warranty is governed by the Magnuson-Moss Act, and the dealer denies the repair, the dealer is potentially putting the factory in breach of its warranty.

On the one hand, if the factory denies repair of your engine because of an aftermarket tune, it's up to the factory to prove that your aftermarket tune caused the mechanical failure. You don't have to prove anything.

On the other hand, to get to that point, you will probably have to get a lawyer, pay him hundreds of dollars an hour up front to sue for breach of warranty, etc. Unlike the OP, GM has lots of lawyers already on salary, and lots of automotive experts on salary, and lots of incentive to beat the OP so as to disuade others like him - so it might cost way more than $15,000 to go down that road. ($15,000 / $200 per hour = 75 hours work = less than two weeks work just by the consumer's lawyer, not counting the fees for one or more automotive experts if it comes to that). GM knows this - which is why they are taking the position they are.

Painful, but simple, math.

3LZZ06 07-28-2009 08:41 PM

Look guys, no excuses but you have to look at the whole picture to assess these issues realistically. You can't just pull a fact here and a situation there to make a judgement before you look at everything as a whole...

To the OP, this still sucks for you and anyone else this happens to!!!

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-28-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jmalto (Post 1570948415)
This one, this one: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-failure.html and the one that Randy is rebuilding for a customer?

Granted the second one has suspension mods the MOTOR was still stock and so was the tune. Let's also not forget Joe's post.

So I will admit I had my timing wrong, there are still plenty of examples of cars blowing up stock.

"Timing" wrong? :rolleyes:

Facts wrong is more like it.

The one Randy is rebuilding for a customer??? The one Randy is rebuilding for a customer had a botched cam install done on it, and a bad tune. Read the owner's threads.

Originally Posted by jmalto (Post 1570948218)
The fact these things are blowing stock with no modifications (at least 2-3 this week?) really makes me wonder the quality of the motors or if there is a design flaw.

I am surprised nobody has looked into a class action lawsuit.

There is nothing "factual" about the above at all. Its rooted in paranoia.

Joes motor popped back in either April or May, I believe it was May, and has since been replaced.

The car which had suspension mods on it, and failed on the track, obviously was not stock.

There have been a few stock '07s in here to fail from a bad batch of rocker arms in the production months 1/07-7/07.

Aside from that completely bone stock failures in here are few extremely rare.

But if you are concerned about it, why not just sell the car based entirel on the tales you are reading in here, and gain the peace of mind you probably so rightly deserve?

Originally Posted by jmalto (Post 1570944058)
Wow, I hate to say it but I am regretting buying my Z now. I understand if you modify it and it blows you have nothing to complain about, but the fact I can't even find out if my Z has a stock tune from a dealer has me :willy:

I'm curious, how many Z06s do you think have been built?

And how many completely stock engines can you point to in here which have failed?

I'm not talking about engines in cars that people modded, I'm talking about completely stock cars.

How come Ranger's car hasn't popped? How come Furman's car hasn't popped? How come Frank Gonzalez's car hasn't popped? How come Jason's car hasn't popped?

Vette19 07-28-2009 08:45 PM

In Texas , as well as most states ,a used vehicle is sold AS-IS. Buyer beware.The dealer just buys and flips vehicles . Checking out the auto is your responsibility. Certainly in performance autos. You need to get over it. Pick up the pieces Rebuild to your desires , then go drive the hell out of it again. That's what its for.It always sucks when they break ,but the way we gut pack them you have to expect it.Ive had 21 vettes,I drive a ZO6 now and i am waiting for a gts viper to get cheap enough for my broke azz now. I plan on reaming the heck out of it too............................Keep it sideways , Nick.

P.S. If I ever put my ZO6 on here for sale ,just forget all the above !!!
I only drive it to church and never approach redline.:bs

3LZZ06 07-28-2009 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1570948524)
We obviously disagree on the topic. I've posted before I don't know how many here have owned and modded other makes/models to think these engines letting go is normal and acceptable.

How many bone stock supra engines have handled 700-800whp? Over 50, some over 900whp, 2 over 1000whp.

GTR's are handling 600whp like clockwork with over 3500 cars out there and 80% tuned per Nagtroc.org only 1 engine failure a 650awhp car with a 150 shot with a solenoid suspected of malfunctioning.

4G63's used for the last 20yrs routinely handle over 500whp stock out of a 2.0. With many over the 550awhp mark trapping high 130's low 140's bone stock blocks. I can show you multiple vids of 10.20-10.40@135mph+ cars bone stock and some 9.9@142mph car too. The point being not that it's better, but here we have 2.0 bonestock matching what a 7.0L is doing and there not blowing as readily!!

Previous RB26 in old gen skylines 650+awhp.

Vipers 700whp+ current and pre 99' 900whp+ bone stock blocks.

I can go on and on, but it doesn't prove anything, except there are some bad engines out there!! All the Z06 owners are going to say is "Well go buy a GTR then you don't deserve a Z06!"

I believe there are more reliable engines out there than the LS7..... including the LS3....many put out equal/more power often out of much less displacement. I believe GM has dropped the ball on valvesprings and oiling with no fix, obviously.

With that being said I love my car. Drive the snot out of it and hope for the best ticks, noises, paranoia and all!!:rofl: I just wish GM would have done a little better of a job on certain drivetrain/engine parts and charged a extra 5k for the car!!

I'm still saving for the cam/header package!!

Dude these cars are not racking 20,000 to 30,000 miles on those motors and using them for DD's. Most of those are track cars with that kind of power, and if they're using them as such they're lucky to get 1000 miles out of em with the NOS blasts before they have to tear em down again.

Apples and oranges.

Just drive your Z with a big smile and don't let the paranoia get atcha!!! :yesnod: :cheers:

Whirls 07-28-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1570948389)
When did it pop? How long have you been fighting with them?

It has been in the shop for about 3 weeks now...

How did they know that tune was done on it before you bought it?

No idea.

How did they get rid of the check engine light?

Again, not sure. They gave it back to me with the light off...

This is a very interesting case as I just put this out there on Saturday as a hypothetical with regard to Joe's car.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1570916210

Whirls 07-28-2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vette19 (Post 1570948607)
In Texas , as well as most states ,a used vehicle is sold AS-IS. Buyer beware.The dealer just buys and flips vehicles . Checking out the auto is your responsibility. Certainly in performance autos. You need to get over it. Pick up the pieces Rebuild to your desires , then go drive the hell out of it again. That's what its for.It always sucks when they break ,but the way we gut pack them you have to expect it.Ive had 21 vettes,I drive a ZO6 now and i am waiting for a gts viper to get cheap enough for my broke azz now. I plan on reaming the heck out of it too............................Keep it sideways , Nick.

P.S. If I ever put my ZO6 on here for sale ,just forget all the above !!!
I only drive it to church and never approach redline.:bs

Even in Texas, when a used car is sold while under factory warranty, the factory warranty is transferred to the new owner. The car was inspected prior to my purchasing it (because it was out of state), but if the Chevy dealer can't tell if the CPU was tuned without sending the info to GM, I don't know how I could expect someone expecting the car to know... With only 1500 miles on it and everything else stock, I wouldn't have even thought to ask about a tune. I would now though!!

Jasil 07-28-2009 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1570948797)
Dude these cars are not racking 20,000 to 30,000 miles on those motors and using them for DD's. Most of those are track cars with that kind of power, and if they're using them as such they're lucky to get 1000 miles out of em with the NOS blasts before they have to tear em down again.

Apples and oranges.

Just drive your Z with a big smile and don't let the paranoia get atcha!!! :yesnod: :cheers:

NOS isn't used in most of those application and you definitely have little experience in the realm of imports if you believe that.

I will say these are street/strip cars no roadcourse or extended use at those power levels more than a night in Mexico or at the track. Ahmit supra just put down 1722whp, but it was built, and Supras hold the 1 mile record places 1-3, but that doesn't matter either.

I'll try to keep beating on her and avoid the paranoia:cheers:

JayplaySS2 07-28-2009 10:34 PM

Again, this is totally normal :rofl:

All jokes aside, this is terrible OP. Totally stock car too? Wow.

3LZZ06 07-28-2009 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1570949729)
NOS isn't used in most of those application and you definitely have little experience in the realm of imports if you believe that.

I will say these are street/strip cars no roadcourse or extended use at those power levels more than a night in Mexico or at the track. Ahmit supra just put down 1722whp, but it was built, and Supras hold the 1 mile record places 1-3, but that doesn't matter either.

You're absolutely right, I know less than nothing about ricers...keep me up to speed with that crap, will ya? :lol:

Or not... :cheers:

TAILWAG 07-28-2009 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1570949729)

Jasil...I am not sure what the point you are trying to make is. I agree with you that there are stronger motors than the LS7...and I also agree that there are other motors that would prove to be more resistant when modded.

If that is the point you are trying to make, so be it. Now, to say there are cars failing at weekly rates is pushing it. However, these cars were advertised as track warriors. If one can't take them there and enjoy them...then what good are they for?

Silver05GTO 07-28-2009 10:57 PM

Sorry to hear about the OP's bad luck :( I also bought my Z06 used as a GM certified car, dealer even sold it to me with a Borla catback on it, when I questioned them about possible warranty issues due to a modified exhaust I was told it was totally fine. We'll see if a situation ever develops in the powertrain.

In the meantime I'm nearing 6000miles racked up on it since I picked it up in April, it has 18.000 on it now.

Just as a note on the LS7 failure paranioa........it's seeping into the minds of other performance circles. I've read on a few forums people advising others to stay away from the Z06 and buy a LS3 coupe (for their corvette fix) because the LS7's can't handle mods let alone stock power levels, the LS3 is much more relaible/better for modding. Unfortunatly for such an amazing car, these engine failures are giving the haters alot of ammo.

Jasil 07-28-2009 11:00 PM

That is precisely my point for being a:

Code:

7.0L
Hand Built
Supercar
Race oriented dry sump

and to be failing is ridiculous and many write it off as "It's a machine it will break like any other machine"

Rant off hope it works out for the OP and let's all hope our Z06 keep on ticking:crazy:

3LZZ06 07-28-2009 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1570950425)
Sorry to hear about the OP's bad luck :( I also bought my Z06 used as a GM certified car, dealer even sold it to me with a Borla catback on it, when I questioned them about possible warranty issues due to a modified exhaust I was told it was totally fine. We'll see if a situation ever develops in the powertrain.

In the meantime I'm nearing 6000miles racked up on it since I picked it up in April, it has 18.000 on it now.

Just as a note on the LS7 failure paranioa........it's seeping into the minds of other performance circles. I've read on a few forums people advising others to stay away from the Z06 and buy a LS3 coupe (for their corvette fix) because the LS7's can't handle mods let alone stock power levels, the LS3 is much more relaible/better for modding. Unfortunatly for such an amazing car, these engine failures are giving the haters alot of ammo.

Justifiably so, I think even "we" are second guessing these motors for a split second or more....what the frig!!! lets have a week or two without incident... :thumbs:

3LZZ06 07-28-2009 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1570950451)

Code:

7.0L
Hand Built
Supercar
Race oriented dry sump

and to be failing is ridiculous and many write it off as "It's a machine it will break like any other machine"

Rant off hope it works out for the OP and let's all hope our Z06 keep on ticking:crazy:

I'll second that with a beer!!!! :cheers:

JayplaySS2 07-28-2009 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1570950508)
Justifiably so, I think even "we" are second guessing these motors for a split second or more....what the frig!!! lets have a week or two without incident... :thumbs:

Lets see if we can go 7 days without another self destructing LS7

Jasil, you I will have more confidence in it once you have the H/C/springs/etc swapped out when you do your mods. I would anyway but I am going with a max build H/C LS3 instead.

Silver05GTO 07-28-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1570950451)

Code:

7.0L
Hand Built
Supercar
Race oriented dry sump

The Z06 IS a supercar. But GM has given it the same maintaince schedule as a Cobalt. Compare a Z06 with needing only spark plugs at 100,000 miles versus a GTR or Ferrari which require alot more special dealer visits for upkeep.

Perhaps the Z06 deserves more from GM then a "set it and forget it" mentality?

mirage2991 07-28-2009 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1570950631)
The Z06 IS a supercar. But GM has given it the same maintaince schedule as a Cobalt. Compare a Z06 with needing only spark plugs at 100,000 miles versus a GTR or Ferrari which require alot more special dealer visits for upkeep.

Perhaps the Z06 deserves more from GM then a "set it and forget it" mentality?

:) yes it should, but no it won't...:willy: