CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Drove through puddle, Engine blew up! Help (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2375803-drove-through-puddle-engine-blew-up-help.html)

mastafarii 07-25-2009 12:38 PM

find a good lawyer

or just try mentioning youre planing to get one as you feel youre not being treated fairly.

jimcork1 07-25-2009 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by intoc6s (Post 1570773311)
I think he means LS7!! :yesnod:

:chevy Let me see if I understand which now I don't?

I have a LS1 and a LS7 would be a direct replacement?

During Katrina I moved my car upstate to avoid driving through water for the engine lock issue. I have been very careful and now have 80,000 miles. But if I wanted eventually replace my LS1 with a crate engine that the rest of the driveline could take and stay together LS7? or LS3?

I have USAA had have been a member for 40 years.,, but don't get me on insurance and Katrina.

huttler 07-25-2009 06:50 PM

CAI's are the devil. I nearly blew my engine 3 days after I bought my '99 TT, because I didn't realize the CAI was litterally about 5 inches from the ground. Luckly, I had the clutch pushed in when I drove through a "puddle" in Tampa Fl, and it only water locked the engine. I've seen other people in various makes/models with CAI's, blow their engines like this. So much for the water bypass.

The Boy Racer 07-26-2009 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by fdxpilot (Post 1570856867)
First, good luck getting your settlement. Second, once this is over, check into USAA. You are obviously in the military, so you should be able to get them. Over 30 years, I have never had them try and screw me on a claim, including one flooding (luckily no engine damage, just interior.)

They even covered my targa top when I dropped it one windy night. They asked me to get a quote for a new one which I did. 1400$ at dealer. They then wired the full amount of money right into my account that day. USAA is THE best.

Dan_the_C5_Man 07-26-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sramoo (Post 1570856782)
I remember years ago I got some hurricane damage on my old MR2. The insurance company tried to low-ball the estimate, citing that the car had "used paint on it."

Dumbfounded, but still a smart azz to the end, I asked them to refer me to a body shop that could re-spray with used paint. They said,"there isn't any used paint."

Exactly.

Sorry, not totally on topic but it cracks me up.

:rofl: X2!! :rofl:

Bottom line - GEICO is one of the WORST insurance companies out there.

All insurance companies have an un-spoken policy to "reduce the payout of all claims as much as possible", but these folks take it to a whole other level. I have been involved in three incidences with GEICO covering the other driver, and even though in all cases the other party was at fault, I still got screwed (actually, this last one I turned over to my insurance (State Farm) and they dealt with them; the claim on my vehicle (totaled) went from $1,300 to $4,800).

Try to get as much as you can, then when this is all sorted, switch insurance companies. Good luck (and thanks for serving! :flag:):thumbs::cheers:

Blue Blood 07-26-2009 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man (Post 1570920016)
...... then when this is all sorted, switch insurance companies. Good luck (and thanks for serving! :flag:):thumbs::cheers:

if everything is taken care of to his satisfaction, what's the point of switching ins. company?

vetterdstr 07-26-2009 06:48 PM

This is the problem with bottom feeder intakes. Drive through too much water and bang. Since you already involved the insurance company I would take the money they would give you and build the motor you want.