CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Corvettes for Sale (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-corvettes-for-sale-52/)
-   -   vettehound scam? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-corvettes-for-sale/2261947-vettehound-scam.html)

forthesakeof 02-26-2009 05:09 PM

vettehound scam?

hey guys. in my endless search for the perfect used corvette, i stumbled upon vettehound. the cars there are being sold for 20k and up mostly, but every now and then you'll find a vette for like, 10000. for example: http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=6727

2002 corvette with 36100 miles on it for ONLY 7200?! there are lots of these on the site, too... what are the chances they're all scams?

i ask because 3 out of 3 of the really cheap offers that i emailed about turned out to be what i think were scams. Either the person enver responded upon being asked to meet so i could look at the car, or they asked for a small transfer before sending the car. help? :(:(

ksvette74 02-26-2009 05:22 PM

Yes, they have scames on there. I have found my car on there for sale, and trust me it is not. It was a NBM 99 with 58k miles. They had copied the pics and the description directly from the dealer and cut and paste. I contacted my dealer to let him know what was happening.

The scammer that was trying to sell my ride had it in New York.

ksvette74 02-26-2009 05:24 PM

Here is my car http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=6315, which is not for sale and is a definete scam.

forthesakeof 02-26-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ksvette74 (Post 1569097257)
Here is my car http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=6315, which is not for sale and is a definete scam.

LOL are you serious?! :rofl: That was one of my top picks on that site! I was like "yeahhhh. definitely gonna ask about that one!" there go my dreams :smash: That site is total :bs

HiLandR 08-05-2009 12:07 PM

My son was looking at a C3 on that site. What is the scam?

Kingman99 08-05-2009 01:59 PM

???????????????????

Wake up America!!!!!!!!

There are no steals out there and if the price sounds great then why is it still for sale?

If you have a budget and it's a low one then l would go back a generation so that you can have some money left over for repairs.

In today's world you get what you pay for. If you can't afford to pay the price then buy a Mustang!

Good Luck

HiLandR 08-05-2009 02:48 PM

Here is the follow up message on my inquiry!

the car is in good condition and THE OUTSIDE is CLEAN AS IT LOOKS ALL THE WAY AROUND....i will shipp to you the car and i will cover the shipping to you the car is in the agenti of shipping ready for shipping sorry for the moment i'm in uk with some busines with some cars for sale so i don't have a sim card phone number for the moment ......sir wee make the deal like this....you will make a deposit 1.500.00$ via western union you will send the money from you at my address from uk but the receiver will be your wife...and then i will give to you the tracking number and you will receive the car in max72 hours then you have 10 days to decide if you decide to keep the car then you will change the receiver name in to my name so in this way i see you have the money and you are a honest buyer and in this way your money will be protected and i will be protected.........ok...so if you are intrested please tell me so you can send me your full name and address so i can start the shipping to your address and i can give to you my address!!!!

Kingman99 08-05-2009 02:57 PM

Total Scam

This is a novice at this game for sure. You will lose in the end no matter how smart you think you are.

The money winds up being sent to a Western Union office someplace in a remote area of Africa.

Keep in mind how many scams world to sustain a Western Union office.

They should close up and sue Western Union.

et1199 08-05-2009 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by HiLandR (Post 1571033275)
Here is the follow up message on my inquiry!

seems legit to me

HiLandR 08-05-2009 02:59 PM

Who actually falls for this stuff?

Kingman99 08-05-2009 03:03 PM

Western Union scams

Just look up Western Union Scams and read. Even though they are aware of the scams they will not do anything about it because they make a lot of money through the money being sent via Western Union money orders.

My question is what is the need for an office in the middle of the bush in Africa where the US dollar is not used.

soldmystang 08-05-2009 03:27 PM

hell i can't understand the wiring process as the scammer explains it. send money to your wife thru the UK?

bmg 08-05-2009 04:25 PM

Tell him to call you when he gets back in town so you can meet him in person and beat him with a baseball bat :rofl:

Vette19 08-05-2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by kingman (Post 1571032654)
Wake up America!!!!!!!!

There are no steals out there and if the price sounds great then why is it still for sale?

If you have a budget and it's a low one then l would go back a generation so that you can have some money left over for repairs.

In today's world you get what you pay for. If you can't afford to pay the price then buy a Mustang!

Good Luck

That's a fact !!

0331MARINE 08-06-2009 12:21 AM

Yeah thats the same way someone tried to scam me on a house I was going to buy. They said they were in the UK for work and I needed to send then like 2000 and they would send me the keys. Are people really that stupid??? Why doesnt the website do anything about scams like that?

Kingman99 08-06-2009 11:31 AM

Yes

People are that stupid and if they weren't then this scam would have died a quick death.
This is a major business and crosses all lines from watches, paintings
boats, anything that has a value.

They are banking on people's basic greed!!!!!

Do l have to say more!

HiLandR 08-06-2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by kingman (Post 1571043547)
People are that stupid and if they weren't then this scam would have died a quick death.
This is a major business and crosses all lines from watches, paintings
boats, anything that has a value.

They are banking on people's basic greed!!!!!

Do l have to say more!

Say more man! :rofl:

timemender 08-06-2009 04:55 PM

So you’re saying that the western union deposit I sent to Obama’s cousin’s mother-in-law’s brother in Kenya for the 3,045 mile ’03 anniversary vert is lost money?

Say it isn't so..............

:willy:

HiLandR 08-06-2009 06:00 PM

LOL! :rofl:

Gizmo1302 05-16-2010 02:54 PM

vettehound

Hi Everyone,
im looking to become a first time owner of a c3 corvette that i discovered in the classifieds for vettehound. The seller has responded on a timely basis and has even agreed to let the car be inspected by a 3rd party, classic car guy. Its a 82 collectors edition for a great price. Has anyone had a good experiance in purchasing from this site? The add was nothing like the examples listed. Thank you for your help and forum its been realy helpful in my quest. Soon to be member and owner.

Niatpac0220 06-09-2013 06:39 PM

Scam

Scam,,,,,

Kingman99 06-09-2013 08:11 PM

Scams

this is all mental masturbation for sure!

raff 06-09-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by kingman (Post 1584115670)
this is all mental masturbation for sure!

Especially since this thread is 4 years old. :rolleyes:

jdot 06-10-2013 02:09 AM

I found vettehound when I first started looking for a Vette some years ago. After reading the first couple of lines I saw it for what it was and never looked at it again. They must really think people are stupid.:crazy2:

Dontgetburned 08-25-2013 05:24 PM

Vettehound.com 2009 Callaway, ad 10050

There is absolutely no doubt that this is a scam. I know from personal experience. Do not contact the seller because he is fictitious, so is the car, so is the location. This is a very sophisticated scheme to take your money and leave you with nothing. The VIN is 1G1YZ26E695109997. This car should be removed from the site and the 'seller' put behind bars. Don't make the same mistake I did. I did my homework but this and probably many others are out to screw you, big time.

fisher auto 08-25-2013 07:42 PM

Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

racebum 08-25-2013 10:00 PM

unless it's wrecked, a salvage title or has major mechanical issues no one sells cars under MMR.

when you look at completed ebay auctions and NADA clean trade that's bottom of the barrel pricing and those are car to car on what they need

nice cars generally sell close to NADA retail. you may get a bit under that private party or pay a bit over at a dealer but that's the current c5 market

the low prices are in salvage cars. high mile cars with little replaced and on occasion you may find a nice car with a blown up motor the owner just doesn't want to deal with fixing.

never buy a car without seeing it in person unless it's from an obvious reputable dealer. never pay cash for a car until you verify the person you're handing the wad to IS who's name is on the title and that title is free of any leins and clear. if you get the buyers name and vin of the car you can call the dept of motor vehicles to verify that name is connected to that vin

if you do the above you won't get scammed

laurent_zo6 08-25-2013 11:42 PM

First thing you got to do is a Carfax check. Amazing the number of people who won't spend $35 to find out about a car history for a deal that reaches in tens of thousands of dollars. :willy:

leebay 08-25-2013 11:58 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by kingman (Post 1571032654)
Wake up America!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

Callaway Chris 08-26-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dontgetburned (Post 1584758740)
There is absolutely no doubt that this is a scam. I know from personal experience. Do not contact the seller because he is fictitious, so is the car, so is the location. This is a very sophisticated scheme to take your money and leave you with nothing. The VIN is 1G1YZ26E695109997. This car should be removed from the site and the 'seller' put behind bars. Don't make the same mistake I did. I did my homework but this and probably many others are out to screw you, big time.

We have gotten many inquiries on that car from folks hoping to get a Callaway for that low of a price. It's a scam, and that car is actually lower than the base Z06 which the car was built upon.

As with ANY Callaway vehicle, one could call our HQ and ask for us to verify it is a real car. Aside from low priced scams like the one in the ad you mention, there are others who have put Callaway decals on their cars, trying to pass along for more profit :eek:

We have records on ALL our vehicles back to the first Corvettes built. A quick call is all it takes to help with authenticity. I hope this helps - :cool:

Dontgetburned 08-26-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris (Post 1584762887)
We have gotten many inquiries on that car from folks hoping to get a Callaway for that low of a price. It's a scam, and that car is actually lower than the base Z06 which the car was built upon.

As with ANY Callaway vehicle, one could call our HQ and ask for us to verify it is a real car. Aside from low priced scams like the one in the ad you mention, there are others who have put Callaway decals on their cars, trying to pass along for more profit :eek:

We have records on ALL our vehicles back to the first Corvettes built. A quick call is all it takes to help with authenticity. I hope this helps - :cool:

Thanks for the feed back Chris. My only motive in posting this story is to help others avoid making the same mistake. The payment was supposed to be managed through Amazon Payments where they set up an escrow account to hold the funds until they received authorization from the buyer to release funds to the seller. There were many guarantees to protect the buyer from fraud and the website seemed legitimate. Spoof websites and alias emails were used to fool the buyer when in fact it was all done by the perpetrator. One last word of advise to anyone searching for a nice Callaway Corvette, don't let your own logic and reason be overcome with emotion. This was supposed to be the happiest time in my life and now I'm miserable. Not to mentioned embarrassed and feeling foolish. I'm currently looking for a nice used Z06 and I can guarantee you I will be standing in front of the car when I make the deal. As bad as I feel right now, it's nothing a nice Corvette can't fix.

Callaway Chris 08-27-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dontgetburned (Post 1584769581)
Thanks for the feed back Chris. My only motive in posting this story is to help others avoid making the same mistake. The payment was supposed to be managed through Amazon Payments where they set up an escrow account to hold the funds until they received authorization from the buyer to release funds to the seller. There were many guarantees to protect the buyer from fraud and the website seemed legitimate. Spoof websites and alias emails were used to fool the buyer when in fact it was all done by the perpetrator. One last word of advise to anyone searching for a nice Callaway Corvette, don't let your own logic and reason be overcome with emotion. This was supposed to be the happiest time in my life and now I'm miserable. Not to mentioned embarrassed and feeling foolish. I'm currently looking for a nice used Z06 and I can guarantee you I will be standing in front of the car when I make the deal. As bad as I feel right now, it's nothing a nice Corvette can't fix.

That is awful that someone is going through such extravagances to fool a buyer, playing on emotions. Hang in there!!

starlightventure 03-30-2014 01:43 AM

60 Million Unique Visitors Monthly VETTEHOUND.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario. This is the biggest fraud I have ever seen on the internet. Most of the c2 corvettes for sale here do not exist. This site is instrumental in knowingly presenting this massive fraud in exchange for advertising dollars. My guess is its only a matter of time until the Canadian Government fines and shut down this site. What VerticalScope does not understand is that they are legally liable for knowingly presenting fraud. This site is the biggest next to the Nigerian letter scam. Their corporate officers could well be on there way to sharing a prison cell with the Enron officers

starlightventure 03-30-2014 01:56 AM

60 Million Unique Visitors Monthly VETTEHOUND.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario. This is the biggest fraud I have ever seen on the internet. Most of the c2 corvettes for sale here do not exist. This site is instrumental in knowingly presenting this massive fraud in exchange for advertising dollars. My guess is its only a matter of time until the Canadian Government fines and shut down this site. What VerticalScope does not understand is that they are legally liable for knowingly presenting fraud. This site is the biggest next to the Nigerian letter scam. Their corporate officers could well be on there way to sharing a prison cell with the Enron officers

Basque1 04-12-2014 06:36 AM

I must post this for I almost fell for a bad scam yesterday with a Vette for sale at Vettehound.com. This clown who barely can speak to save his life supposedly from New Mexico is selling a 1967 427 Corvette . According to him this vehicle is award winning, off frame restoration blah blah blah for $25,800.00 yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!! don't bother he claims his business is going bad and needs to raise cash very fast, you know the type.
Here is the link BEWARE BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...hp?a=2&b=11386
Regards
Basque1

Pbernethy 04-06-2019 07:47 AM

C3 scam

Originally Posted by HiLandR (Post 1571031367)
My son was looking at a C3 on that site. What is the scam?

There is a scam currently on Vettehound a blue 69 posted at $12000. It’s complete BS the guy keeps saying the car has moved and won’t provide an address. He wants $6K to ship, Ive forwarded his email to authorities

Vetteman Jack 04-07-2019 12:38 AM

This is the C5 section and this thread was five years old before the latest post. Try posting in the correct section and starting a new thread.