CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   All the common C5 problems that GM didn't fix (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2240524-all-the-common-c5-problems-that-gm-didnt-fix.html)

C5 LS7 01-31-2009 10:43 PM

All the common C5 problems that GM didn't fix

Do you guys know how many of these issues GM solved in the C5 or C6. I have experianced the following in 2 C5's and about 150k mi.

1) Rocking seat (twice)
2) Stuck clutch pedal
3) Fuel sender malfunction (twice)
4) Oil pressure sender (twice in 1 year)
5) Wobbling harmonic balancer
6) Loose axel nut
7) Column lock

I have seen all of these issues many times here, did I miss any? or should I say did any miss me....Ha. Is it normal for a manufacturer to not address recurring problems like these over a 9 year production. I know LS2's have the same damper issue we have, I saw one last week. In spite of these issues I wouldn't trade my Vette for any other vehicle at twice the price, at least GM got rid of optispark.

71vetteinva 01-31-2009 11:11 PM

I'm not sure all of the issues that were fixed with the C6. I've experienced several of the problems you listed. I'll add a few that are very popular on this board...

8) Transmission leak between differential and transmission.
9) Rear window falls out of convertible top. (Been there done that. BTW, aftermarket tops are stitched!)
10) Differential leaks. (aka leaky butt)
11) Dim Auto Climate Controls
12) Headlight gears/motors fail (not a problem with a C6!)
13) Low Quality Leather Seats that crack over time. (C6 leather is much nicer)
14) Various water leaks due to weather stripping or window coming out of adjustment.
15) Convertible trunk won't pop up after time (not a hard fix, but it's still an issue).
16) Fobs wear out and stop working after a while.

I've personally experienced the trunk problem, leaky transmission, window out of adjustment, badly cracked seats, wobbling harmonic balancer, erratic fuel gauge, rocking seat (wet okole seat covers seem to have cured it, maybe I just don't feel it anymore?), window glass falling out of the convertible top, and failure of the fob.

I've had one or two other less common problems, like the failure of a day time run light socket and one of the adjustments on the electric seat failing.

That said, I also love this car. ALL vehicles have common problems, it's only thanks to the internet that we know them all.

Bill Dearborn 02-01-2009 02:11 AM

I personally have only experienced two of those problems. My 97 had the rocking seat which was fixed under warranty. I had the fuel gauge problem on my 03 but that was pretty much attributed to a bad batch of gas and fixed under warranty. In 11 years haven't had any of the other problems. Don't consider them common.

Bill

DeeGee 02-01-2009 02:17 AM

It might be worth asking the question on C6 General. A lot of C5 owners have moved on as they've bought newer Vettes.

As you say, many of those issues have regularly cropped up. For me, the list is:

Door Lock control module failed (fixed under warranty)
Leaky rear diff (fixed under warranty)
AC Delco Battery failed (GM not interested as I had to get a new one to get back on the road)
Headlight gear stripped (fixed under warranty)
Erratic fuel gauge reading (Techron)
Trunk lid issue (made a trunk popper)
Split seam on the seat (repaired)

Camjamsdad 02-01-2009 02:48 AM

I'll add delaminating door panels, bad grounds, frozen head light adjusters, sport seat bladders and fittings, horn switch. That's enough for me.

JMc 02-01-2009 03:06 AM

Don't forget the hazard switch fault that messes up the turn signals...

I've also had

1. rocking seat
2. hand brake replacement
3. Headlamp gear
4. Fuel senders
5. Cracked spokes in rims
6. Dim HVAC lamps
7. Vert window glass starting to separate (fixed myself, quickly and easily with Rhino glue)

All of the above, with the exception of #7, was covered under warranty.

My window seals leak a little in rain, but it barely ever rains here, so I've dragged my feet in doing anything about it.

My lastest problem is that my steering column sounds like a donkey braying when turning it slowly (like in a parking lot, for instance). No idea what needs lubing or how to get to it.

DeeGee 02-01-2009 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by JMc (Post 1568775399)

My lastest problem is that my steering column sounds like a donkey braying when turning it slowly (like in a parking lot, for instance). No idea what needs lubing or how to get to it.

There's a fix for that

Try this link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=35&TopicID=1

2CRUZIN 02-01-2009 09:09 AM

Geez, I must be one lucky guy. I honestly have had no issues on my 1998. 44,000 miles and so far, bulletproof.
That sound you hear is me knocking on wood. :D
:cheers:

Vetteman Jack 02-01-2009 09:09 AM

Only problems I had with my two C5s were the column lock, fuel guage, leaking differential and oil consumption. Each was fixed under warranty.

Black04Z06 02-01-2009 09:55 AM

I'm a little worried now. I have the interior door panel de-laminating issue that I've been meaning to have serviced. My car still has a warranty but now I'm not sure if it will be covered.

JDaniel 02-01-2009 10:37 AM

I have a '99 FRC and it has a few very minor problems. Fuel sensor intermittenly goes to 3/4 on fill up instead of full, rocking seat JUST started, and my heating and A/C only comes out of my defrost and cant figure that one out. I also had a output seal leaking that was improperly diagnosed by Cartek as a tranny leak WHILE they were doing my output shafts and gears and didnt fix it so I did it mself.

ecoman 02-01-2009 10:43 AM

Had the back window fall out of my vert 1 week after purchase ( used) dealer paid under warranty and col.lock twice also under warranty.

Old Rotor Head 02-01-2009 11:37 AM

The only one I've had not listed is broken valve springs (4). GM TOLD ME "OH THAT'S COMMON WITH THESE"

125k DD, not a racer

cushingfamily 02-01-2009 09:35 PM

Convertible Trunk Lid

I saw your list of common C-5 problems and noticed that you had the convertible trunk lid listed. I am experiencing that problem right now. The trunk on my 99 will not pop up far enough to even get a finger underneath the edge. I have to pop the release and then close the door to push it up with the air from the door closing. Can you tell me how you fixed yours?

motogib1 02-01-2009 10:18 PM

The rear hatch of my 02 coupe has bubbled very slightly about the corvette symbol. You can see this in bright sunlight. This is another common C5 issue. I just ignore it, doesn't really bother me at this point. Love the car, can't wait for spring to break it out.

tr911 02-01-2009 10:42 PM

A Couple more.

Auto Climate control Actuator problem.
Outside Temperature sensor replacement.

rebelheart 02-01-2009 10:49 PM

Every single car and all brands of cars have problems/tech bulletins and recalls! Corvette is no different from any of them.You can bet if it is mechanical it will have a problem sooner or later!

2003 electronblue 02-02-2009 10:25 AM

yes u did

Originally Posted by C5 LS7 (Post 1568773784)
Do you guys know how many of these issues GM solved in the C5 or C6. I have experianced the following in 2 C5's and about 150k mi.

1) Rocking seat (twice)
2) Stuck clutch pedal
3) Fuel sender malfunction (twice)
4) Oil pressure sender (twice in 1 year)
5) Wobbling harmonic balancer
6) Loose axel nut
7) Column lock

I have seen all of these issues many times here, did I miss any? or should I say did any miss me....Ha. Is it normal for a manufacturer to not address recurring problems like these over a 9 year production. I know LS2's have the same damper issue we have, I saw one last week. In spite of these issues I wouldn't trade my Vette for any other vehicle at twice the price, at least GM got rid of optispark.

the big one for me was the differencial seals and gaskets, turns out most c5's left the factory with this problem..along with the pistonslap..gm just never cared. this is why the c6 vettes are not selling..alot of former c5 owners are not rebuying the vette..
GM is just not run right. here's a question how many of u c5 owners come time to buy another sports car will stick with a corvette?

ksvette74 02-02-2009 10:37 AM

I will, but it will be awhile.

Bad97ta 02-02-2009 11:02 AM

removable top surface delam, bad leather seats, lumbar doesnt work. but i can deal with those. still a well built car