CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1820575-how-to-fix-your-hazard-flasher-turn-signal-problem.html)

pantherchams 06-13-2012 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! Mine finally went out totally, and I just got a weird buzzing from behind the hazard switch. I picked up the el-12 flasher from auto zone for 9.99, cut the pink and purple wires, slapped on some spade connectors, and hooked it up.

Took maybe 15 min including cleaning some things while I was down there.

Ben

gotz06? 06-14-2012 02:05 PM

I need to fix mine also

1965markaccount 07-15-2012 03:35 PM

My Momma always said the only dumb question is the one you don't ask so with Forrest Gump running through my head, How do you pop off the hazard switch cover? I don't use my 01 much but I need to get it inspected and want to try the electrical cleaner. I am guessing you ply with a screw driver but I don't want to force it if there is an easy way to do it.

427ZM 10-27-2012 08:37 PM

Ok, I bought my first Z yesterday, and I think it has flasher issue, but I want to see what you (advanced corvette forum members) think. Here's what it's doing: all the turn signals work, parking lights work, blinkers work, tail lights work, and the flashers work. That said, when I brake, the drivers' side tail lights both light up, but only the outer passengers' side lights up. The bulbs are obviously good, they work when the lights are on and when the blinkers signal.

So, is this the beginning of the hazard/flasher issue?

i_own_a_z06 04-11-2013 03:14 AM

turn signal/hazards problem

QUESTION? I have been reading the threads on the fix for the blinker/hazard problem and it seems im having the same problem but i notice a lot of the threads saying to play with the hazard button while using your turn signals.
Mine work for a bit then cut out completely even if i try to hit the dash or play with the hazard button i dont get anything they just stop working like its overheated so will the bypass fix that still?

I hate to keep throwing parts at it.

docohm 04-11-2013 04:30 PM

Mine was that way too, at first, if I messed with the hazard button it would work OK for awhile, later, that didn't help. I'm pretty sure it's your hazard button, use the new method now to bypass the module. Check this out:
http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
DocOhm

Sids04 04-12-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by pantherchams (Post 1581067291)
Thanks for the info everyone! Mine finally went out totally, and I just got a weird buzzing from behind the hazard switch. I picked up the el-12 flasher from auto zone for 9.99, cut the pink and purple wires, slapped on some spade connectors, and hooked it up.

Took maybe 15 min including cleaning some things while I was down there.

Ben

I did the same thing except I used the headlight plug instead of regular spade connectors... Works awesome..

vettelover510 07-14-2013 11:52 PM

Just replaced with a bypass harness this weekend. Blinkers actually function at more normal rate and the flashers work every time. It took hardly anytime to install. I will keep you informed of the status of the issue.

cooperhawk 08-22-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1583612299)
Mine was that way too, at first, if I messed with the hazard button it would work OK for awhile, later, that didn't help. I'm pretty sure it's your hazard button, use the new method now to bypass the module. Check this out:
http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
DocOhm

For those not so mechanically inclined the dealer replacemet of the flasher switch will run about $360

strand rider 08-23-2013 03:17 PM

It was suggested to me that WD 40 would give a longer lasting effect than electrical cleaner on old volume controls that had gotten, "scratchy", intermittent contact when adjusting volume. It was true, the ongoing occasional repair with electrical spray ended with the switch to WD 40. This suggestion was for Hi Fi equipment, but it might be useful information here.

Todds427 08-24-2013 09:37 PM

I just removed the knee panel, cut the two wires and added spade connectors with a lifetime flasher, WOW very easy to do and works perfect! THANKS to all for this great information, now I don't have to worry about getting hit from behind when I turn :thumbs: I say don't waste your time trying anything else, this is very easy to do, 4 screws, unplug a couple connectors, cut two wires, crimp on connectors and replace everything, DONE in less than 30 min taking my time! Cost $18 at Autozone for lifetime flasher and connectors.

tstar 08-25-2013 04:35 AM

:iagree: The DIY fix is very easy... For those not wishing to cut wires and such in their car you can buy a Hyperflash Harness. I know JW Motoring sells them because I make them for him! :rofl:

I actually have to make him a bunch...

erikszr1 08-26-2013 12:17 PM

just replaced this switch in a customers car. very easy to diagnose and replace. not sure why we would want to try and fix it or whatever. cheap enough too.

sargeter 09-02-2013 09:26 PM

Just replaced the right front signal bulb a couple of weeks ago in my '02 and it is not working again. The dash signal light blinks rapidly. Could flasher be causing it? Haven't removed the bulb yet to see if it's blown. I've only had the car for a couple of months. My first 'Vette.

Bill Curlee 09-02-2013 09:44 PM

If the bulb has a poor connection in the socket or the wires on the socket are bad, it will loose connection and flash fast inside

Also measure the socket ground wire to chassis ground.. Should be ZERO Ohms
BC

stevenm357 10-21-2013 07:06 PM

Awesome info, just replaced mine, have pretty big hands and it took a little longer, but got it done!

Chris Edwards 02-17-2014 07:33 PM

I have a question about cutting the two wires and using the EL12 flasher. Will the hazard switch on the dash still work like OEM ?

Sids04 02-17-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by lxcoupe (Post 1586198087)
I have a question about cutting the two wires and using the EL12 flasher. Will the hazard switch on the dash still work like OEM ?

Yes it will

mmille13 03-13-2014 07:02 PM

turn signals blink like hazards

When I put on either Left or Right turn signals both blink like my hazards were on. I assumed it was the hazard switch so I replaced that, still the same thing, both blink like hazards. So I tried doing the bypass with the blinker switch on the pink and purple wires. Still the same thing both sides blink like Hazards.

Anyone else experience this or have a fix or solution?

Frankie 69 04-21-2014 07:17 PM

Good Post

Thanks for posting the procedure to replace the flasher switch. It helped save me $350, which is what the shop wanted to charge me for my 2002 Vette. I ordered the new switch on internet for $25. It took me about 2 hours at a relaxed pace. Additionally, I had to remove the waterfall cover at the back of the console in order to move the console to the rear. :cheers: