CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1820575-how-to-fix-your-hazard-flasher-turn-signal-problem.html)

blanchardlaw 11-20-2020 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by docimastic (Post 1570787843)
I too have been "working" the 4-way hazard flasher switch for years. Sometimes the blinkers will work, sometimes not. Two comments:

1. Note that if the switch is IN/ON (but the 4-way flashers aren't flashing cuz of the switch problem) and you move the indicator stalk to indicate a turn (and of course the blinker doesn't blink) it will tun OFF that brake light, so if one taps the brakes, it will look like one is indicating a turn in the opposite direction! Keeps the drivers around you confused - not necessarily a good thing.

2. I know from experience <sigh> that the 4-way flasher switch will run battery down if left in the IN/ON position.... WITHOUT the 4-way flashers flashing.

HELP!!! All at once I lost my brake lights, turn signals, hazard lights and cruise control on my '04 Vette. I haven't tried cycling the hazard switch yet, but would doing that effect my brake lights not working? Any ideas on a fix?

grinder11 11-21-2020 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by blanchardlaw (Post 1602540780)
HELP!!! All at once I lost my brake lights, turn signals, hazard lights and cruise control on my '04 Vette. I haven't tried cycling the hazard switch yet, but would doing that effect my brake lights not working? Any ideas on a fix?

How many miles on your '04? Cycling the switch couldn't hurt. I think the majority of these hazard switches go bad due to they're never being used. But after that, I would start with the fuses and checking codes. If your Multifunction switch is the original 16 year old unit, it's also a place I'd check. Amazon has them as cheap, or cheaper than anyone. I got mine there, and went with the OEM switch. I dont think the MFS has anything to do with your brake lights, but at 16 years old, if it hasn't gone bad yet, odds are it will sooner than later. Good luck, and I hope this helps somewhat......

blanchardlaw 12-30-2020 08:55 PM

I have 118k on my "04. I have tried cycling the hazard button on a couple of occasions with no success. As far as I know, all parts are original.

Syfrett 08-29-2021 12:53 PM

BC you still around here?

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1564216114)
I have completely dissected a bad hazard switch and WOW!:eek: There very complex inside, There are 5-6 sliding switch contacts, an integrated circuit IC Chip some diodes and a bunch of small springs and some lighting circuits and bulbs.
I believe the contacts get tarnished and or loose some of their tension over time cause of heat and vibration. The contacts did look dirty. There would be NO way to easily repair that switch! :rolleyes:

If you still have your old switch, it's a VERY good donor for electrical test pins. The Male pins in the switch base can be removed (busted out of the plastic base) and used to test female pins in female connectors.

In a lot of C5 electrical gremlins the problem is cause buy poor contact in the electrical connectors. If you insert that male pin in a female pin,,,there should be a firm grip on the male pin. A very good example of where the female pins fail the most is in the wheel speed sensor connectors. When mine was bad, the male pin would literally fall out when the female connector was turned up side down.

Without testing the female pin tension,,,,you can end up chasing your tail and replacing a LOT of expensive parts.

BC

Bill,

I know you are a legend at fixing c5 gremlins, so I am reaching out to you as my last resort here.

Have a 2000 c5 targa. Have fixed alot of stuff in the past three months. Went to install some new turn signal bulbs to replace the old ones. Old bulbs were shot and the bulb holders melted.

I replaced the bulb holders (and ensured wiring) and put in new led turn signal bulbs. I also replaced the fuses and DRL relays to make sure nothing there was bad. Additionally, I have replaced the hazard switch, and run the Corvette envy hyperflash / hazard bypass.

The rear lights work for all functions. The DRLS and turnsignals will not come on on the front in any configuration.

Thoughts?

docohm 08-29-2021 01:38 PM

Just to update this ole thread in case someone new comes along and finds it. I closed down my old website but the How To video is now out on youtube at:

Syfrett 08-29-2021 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1603948994)
Just to update this ole thread in case someone new comes along and finds it. I closed down my old website but the How To video is now out on youtube at: https://youtu.be/y0HkHe1L95M

I have replaced the hazard button already.

Biblevettes 09-10-2021 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1562030284)
Having trouble with your turn signals? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't? Mine was doing that too, at first I could mess with the emergency flasher button and the turn signals would work. Then I had to move it more and more. Finally, they quit working all together. So I finally took the time to replace it. I documented the whole method here:
http://www.kd5fx.com/vette.html
This is using the 'easy' method where you can do it through the radio hole.
Save the wave!
Doc

This link no worky now - can anyone else share a link on this fix?

bjones7131 09-10-2021 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Biblevettes (Post 1604005883)
This link no worky now - can anyone else share a link on this fix?

No link but remove knee bolster under column and there is a hole of sorts big enough to get your hand up and behind switch. Remove the hazard button, and get a big flat blade screwdriver and place on bottom portion of switch and bump it until switch loosens and slips back into dash. Reach up in the hole described earlier and pull it down and unplug and plug in new one. Hardest part is replacing, getting it aligned gust right to slide back into the slot. Good luck

TCFS 09-11-2021 09:39 AM

:iagree: and you can find some YouTube video about it also.
I did it last week, the knee bolster removal is making it much easier than the radio removal.
Good luck.
TCFS