CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1820575-how-to-fix-your-hazard-flasher-turn-signal-problem.html)

docohm 09-23-2007 07:58 PM

How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Having trouble with your turn signals? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't? Mine was doing that too, at first I could mess with the emergency flasher button and the turn signals would work. Then I had to move it more and more. Finally, they quit working all together. So I finally took the time to replace it. I documented the whole method here:
(Redacted due to link goes to spam now)
This is using the 'easy' method where you can do it through the radio hole.
Save the wave!
Doc

kendo347 09-24-2007 04:41 AM

Thanks. I will have to save this. I need to fix mine.

wwwFLA 12-27-2007 09:41 PM

Awesome description, glad it was saved in DIY

I've been using the hazard switch to bring back the turn signals on occasion (yes, I know the switch must be bad and should be replaced,post #24) and yesterday did the same thing. This a.m. , no power. A jump got me going all day but I noticed the flasher was running on restart. I must have hit it again for a turn and not turned it off. Through the day no problems with several restarts. The codes above were displayed. Do you think the battery went down because of the flasher left on?
Btw, I've also recently been getting the three way warning......ABS, Active Handling and Traction Control. You think it's related?

I also posted this on the $3600 electrical post but thought I might get a good respose here! Thanks!!

docohm 12-27-2007 11:05 PM

I'm not sure I understand your problem, you think the flasher was running all night and you didn't notice? Don't you think you'd notice if all four lights were blinking when you got out of the car? OR if you left the turn signal on those go off when you turn off the key. What codes were displayed? you said 'the codes above were displayed' but I don't see a list of any codes. From the ABS, AH & TC warnings you've been getting it sounds like you've got some other problem.
I didn't have any codes or problems at all after changing mine out....
Good luck... DocOhm

wwwFLA 12-28-2007 10:28 AM

2001 coupe ABS, AH & TC warnings have been intermittent

they go off after turning the engine off and then on again. The codes were 1214 and loss of commounication from both sides DTC.
Yes, I think the flasher circuit was on all night but was not working as it too along with the turn signals has been intermitent. Thanks for you input.

wwwFLA 12-30-2007 05:42 PM

Knock on wood, the ABS/TC/ AH warnings have not come back and the turn signals are working every time since the jump. I'm hopeful the flasher circuit is cured.
I do, however, still have the 1214 code current.

jmmy 02-21-2008 02:58 PM

Had similar experience. Bumping the flasher to wake up the signals but flasher didn't blink either unless button was held in. Then later after I'd left, flashers started flashing. Got lucky. Someone called me to say they were blinking.Battery weak, but not quite dead yet. Didn't get any codes.

nextime 02-21-2008 03:14 PM

What exactly makes these go bad?

docohm 02-21-2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by nextime (Post 1564203503)
What exactly makes these go bad?

They are made in ENGLAND! I think that explains it....
Doc

RSchleder 02-22-2008 08:47 AM

Corvette Enhancements

I recommend you buy a flasher assembly from a supporting vendor, Corvette Enhancements. They sell the small flasher/cable assembly that takes 15 minutes to install and bi-passes the OEM flasher which is prone to go bad again. The assembly sold by Corvette enhancements sells for about $50 and is a terrific product/upgrade.:thumbs:

sxeC7 02-22-2008 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RSchleder (Post 1564213618)
I recommend you buy a flasher assembly from a supporting vendor, Corvette Enhancements. They sell the small flasher/cable assembly that takes 15 minutes to install and bi-passes the OEM flasher which is prone to go bad again. The assembly sold by Corvette enhancements sells for about $50 and is a terrific product/upgrade.:thumbs:

:iagree: It won't do anything to fix the hazard flashers, but it's a quick fix for the turn signals. :yesnod: :thumbs:

Bill Curlee 02-22-2008 11:38 AM

I have completely dissected a bad hazard switch and WOW!:eek: There very complex inside, There are 5-6 sliding switch contacts, an integrated circuit IC Chip some diodes and a bunch of small springs and some lighting circuits and bulbs.
I believe the contacts get tarnished and or loose some of their tension over time cause of heat and vibration. The contacts did look dirty. There would be NO way to easily repair that switch! :rolleyes:

If you still have your old switch, it's a VERY good donor for electrical test pins. The Male pins in the switch base can be removed (busted out of the plastic base) and used to test female pins in female connectors.

In a lot of C5 electrical gremlins the problem is cause buy poor contact in the electrical connectors. If you insert that male pin in a female pin,,,there should be a firm grip on the male pin. A very good example of where the female pins fail the most is in the wheel speed sensor connectors. When mine was bad, the male pin would literally fall out when the female connector was turned up side down.

Without testing the female pin tension,,,,you can end up chasing your tail and replacing a LOT of expensive parts.

BC

TNX ZORA 02-22-2008 11:55 PM

<<I believe the contacts get tarnished...>>

My turn signals went dead and resumed working for a while by punching the hazard switch a time or two. I noticed that the more I exercised the hazard switch the longer the signals worked before crapping out. After they died one day about 6 months ago I decided to exercise the hazard switch about a hundred times and see what happened. The signals are still working perfectly as of today.

Bill Curlee 02-23-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TNX ZORA (Post 1564227050)
<<I believe the contacts get tarnished...>>

My turn signals went dead and resumed working for a while by punching the hazard switch a time or two. I noticed that the more I exercised the hazard switch the longer the signals worked before crapping out. After they died one day about 6 months ago I decided to exercise the hazard switch about a hundred times and see what happened. The signals are still working perfectly as of today.

YEP!:iagree: I use my hazard switch quite a bit. I hate tail gaters! Especially when they tail gate a car that can stop in two times less distance than the one their driving!

It's still the original switch and works very well.

BC

yellow 00 10-18-2008 04:23 PM

Excellent post! Should be a sticky !!
Took me about a hour including cleaning all the dash parts before reassembly! One more thing that might help someone out with large hands like myself. Hemostats help get the old one out and positioning the new one,and slide it in place.;)

docimastic 07-14-2009 08:23 PM

4-way flasher switch will run battery down

I too have been "working" the 4-way hazard flasher switch for years. Sometimes the blinkers will work, sometimes not. Two comments:

1. Note that if the switch is IN/ON (but the 4-way flashers aren't flashing cuz of the switch problem) and you move the indicator stalk to indicate a turn (and of course the blinker doesn't blink) it will tun OFF that brake light, so if one taps the brakes, it will look like one is indicating a turn in the opposite direction! Keeps the drivers around you confused - not necessarily a good thing.

2. I know from experience <sigh> that the 4-way flasher switch will run battery down if left in the IN/ON position.... WITHOUT the 4-way flashers flashing.

FL_Dave 10-03-2009 05:37 PM

Electrical Cleaner Fix

3 Attachment(s)
A friend from this forum stopped by today with the intermittent turn signal problem. A few years back I posted that one could drill a small hole and squirt electrical cleaner inside. We tried this trick and, so far, so good. The whole process takes 10 minutes - much easier than a switch replacement.

This is what the flasher looks like when taken apart.
Attachment 48157892

Here are the best drill locations.
Attachment 48157893

Just pop off the flasher button and use a dremel and small drill bit to create a hole large enough to accept the straw from the electrical cleaner. (Practice the hole on a scrap first. The bit is smaller than I first thought.) I only drilled one hole. Put the straw in and hooked up the spray can. A quick squirt, work the flasher, a few more squirts, then work the flasher again.
Attachment 48157894

phils C5 vette 10-03-2009 08:00 PM

It was my car, and this is what I posted on another thread today.

well we tried a little fix on my car today, and it may have worked.

Dave removed the cover to the hazard switch, Drilled a hole the diameter of the little red tube that comes with electrical connection cleaner into the hazard switch. Then sprayed cleaner on the contacts. He cycled the switched 30-50 plus times to rub the contact points, and my flashers worked.

worked the 2 dozen or so times i used the binkers on the way home.

I cycled the flasher switch maybe another 30 times on the way home.

I use my car a couple times a month, so im not sure if it's a true fix, but so far so good. I think it's important to cycle the flasher switch ALOT to clean the contacts. It didnt hurt to try, and it really took 10 minutes. Im not a good gauge because I dont use my car enough, but it seemed to so something.

Thanks dave it was good seeing you again :cheers:

Stealth94 04-29-2010 03:37 PM

Suspected cause of Flasher issues

Hello, I have been dealing with this problem for several years and have determined a pattern. Mine acts up when the temps are up, it is quite humid and I use the air conditioning. Never fails in the winter. I can prevent it most of the time by directing the air only to the floor. Inconvenient, but works. I can also fix by directing heat to the upper vent. This seems to dry it out. I think this says there is a problem of humidity in the switch from the air conditioning vent. I am going to try this idea of injecting cleaner, but would like anyone who has actually had the dash apart to comment and let me know if there is the possibility that the vent could have a hole in it or any room to insulate the vent or switch better.

docohm 04-29-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth94 (Post 1573918417)
Hello, I have been dealing with this problem for several years and have determined a pattern. Mine acts up when the temps are up, it is quite humid and I use the air conditioning. Never fails in the winter. I can prevent it most of the time by directing the air only to the floor. Inconvenient, but works. I can also fix by directing heat to the upper vent. This seems to dry it out. I think this says there is a problem of humidity in the switch from the air conditioning vent. I am going to try this idea of injecting cleaner, but would like anyone who has actually had the dash apart to comment and let me know if there is the possibility that the vent could have a hole in it or any room to insulate the vent or switch better.

Have you replaced the switch? It's not that hard to do or expensive IF you do it yourself and will probably fix this.
DocOhm

z06fred1 06-06-2010 06:41 AM

i have this problem in my 02 Z. replaced the hazard switch, but no joy. I think the new switch was dirty from sitting on the shelf.

yellaone 07-26-2010 06:34 PM

thanks dave. your instructions made the job very simple!!

MrSauga3 08-02-2010 11:34 PM

re replacing the hazard switch.

I think thats a very good point about cold and condensation causing the problem. Its probably true. Yes a bit of insulation could be stuffed between the two. I just replaced the switch today, it wasnt easy though but next time I could figure it out faster. there's no room to work with it and I finally used long needle nose to pull it towards me to lock it in place.

dlboyd41 09-04-2010 08:20 AM

Now What

Hi , just got my 1st vette last week, a 2000 model. The blinkers/flashers stopped working the day after i brought it home. Found this site and replaced the flasher, 40 bucks at the chevy store and all was well yesterday after the install. This morning they do no work???????
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Rebel 1 09-05-2010 01:22 AM

Easy fix for this problem. Takes about 45 minutes and $9.00. I used Tridon flasher #EL12 from Autozone.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569256474-post50.html

Rebel 1 09-05-2010 01:34 AM

To do this Bypass, All YOU REMOVE IS THE KNEE PANEL, nothing else.

LINK:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Start at Part 1.

dlboyd41 09-07-2010 03:12 PM

Thanks for the info Rebel1, i am concerned about cutting any wires. I follow it except for the "fuse" part of the deal. I just don't get it, it is a brand new gm part that didn't last a day? Makes me wonder if it is something else??? Taking out the old one it started working?? Really annoys me. Drilled a hole in the "new one" gonna try the other remedy spraying some electrical cleaner in there,just have to go get some cleaner, really doubt it is dirty being it is new but hey what the heck! Gonna order the bypass if that doesnt work. Now i can't find the link to it, aaaaaarg. Not a good start for my first vette. Got it last week,booo.

dlboyd41 09-07-2010 05:41 PM

On second thought i will try this fix, the only thing i am confused about is where you said don't cut the pink wire? From the picture it appears you did? Or did you just strip it? I am not a mechanic so i am sorry for being so dumb? How do you get the rubber cover on it if it was not cut? I that the heat shrink stuff? Thank you very very much Peter

tstar 09-07-2010 06:13 PM

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...x/DSC03064.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...x/DSC03065.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...x/DSC03066.jpg

:thumbs:

bmg 09-07-2010 08:51 PM

I just replaced by flasher switch, not too hard to do the swap...... but what a pain in the a$$ to put back in!

Rebel 1 09-07-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dlboyd41 (Post 1575250198)
Thanks for the info Rebel1, i am concerned about cutting any wires. I follow it except for the "fuse" part of the deal. I just don't get it, it is a brand new gm part that didn't last a day? Makes me wonder if it is something else??? Taking out the old one it started working?? Really annoys me. Drilled a hole in the "new one" gonna try the other remedy spraying some electrical cleaner in there,just have to go get some cleaner, really doubt it is dirty being it is new but hey what the heck! Gonna order the bypass if that doesnt work. Now i can't find the link to it, aaaaaarg. Not a good start for my first vette. Got it last week,booo.

Fuse part?:bigears
I fixed this turn "signal problem" permanately with this fix on our '02. Once it is done you will never worry about this again. That hazard switch is junk, made in England. You still have it for flashers though.
I got the electronic flasher from Autozone part#EL12.
The Only wire you cut is the Purple wire. Don't cut the Pink wire,you just open up the insulation some and connect 1 flasher wire to it and then just tape it up with electrical tape.
Don't worry about it once you do this simple $9.00 fix you're done!

Rebel 1 09-07-2010 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by dlboyd41 (Post 1575251804)
On second thought i will try this fix, the only thing i am confused about is where you said don't cut the pink wire? From the picture it appears you did? Or did you just strip it? I am not a mechanic so i am sorry for being so dumb? How do you get the rubber cover on it if it was not cut? I that the heat shrink stuff? Thank you very very much Peter

Like it says unfasten the white connector. You will be working on the side with the White Paper Tags.
Don't Cut the Pink wire. Strip/pull some insulation off of it(about 1/2 inch) and connect 1 wire of your new electronic flasher to it. Look at the image closely from the link. Be sure and put electrical tape on it. Connect the other flasher wire to the purple wire and you are done! :cheers:Check and make sure it works before put the knee panel back on.
Just because you are not a mechanic doesn't mean you're dumb. People here are trying to find info. to fix things that you would pay a dealer a lot of $$$ to fix. When i joined i didn't know very much about a newer Vette. I was always into the older cars. This forum is a wealth of information.
Just take your time and it will be done in about 45 min. and then you can feel satisfied knowing you did it yourself! Let me know when you got it! :yesnod: Bob

555 Guy 09-24-2010 11:22 AM

What an Easy Fix...Thanks to our Members!

Thanks to this thread, plus reading a few related commentaries, I solved this exact problem at no cost other than taking time to read some great comments.

Bought my 2000 in Nov 08 and added about 600 miles to date, meaning I don't take it out very often. Yesterday decided to drive my jewel to work, but immediately realized turn signals didn't work...1st time event for me...so returned home concerned. When I purchased this car, looked like it came off the showroom floor and has performed equally well, so having a Vette problem is really alien to me.

Anyway, checked fuses this AM and all good. Tried turn signals again but still nothing. Tried the flasher and worked 3-4 times, then stopped. Noted flasher worked once or twice while holding button in, and even turn signals worked a time or two before nothing. Next step...Corvette Forum and hope for similar problem with solutions.

Read excellent articles (some with great inserts) on replacing flashers. "Docohm" started this thread and looked promising. Then "phils C5 vette" & "Stealth94" cracked the code for me. Phils uses his car about 2x month, much like me. Stealth94 referenced humidity, which can logically cause corrosion or moisture to interfere with electrical connections. I live near Annapolis, MD, and we've had nothing but high humidity for the entire summer. So even I could put these two thoughts together and think, "wallah", maybe we’re onto something.

Went to the garage and discovered flashers were operating, just like "jmmy" reported (02/21.08) in his thread. Had I not returned to the garage, the obvious would have happened, as "Docimastic" reported with similar concern (07/14/09), leaving flasher switch in IN/ON position. So I've now got the scent and thinking we're gonna solve this.

The rest is easy. Reading "TNX ZORA" post (02/22/08), I heeded his complex tasks and meticulously followed his step-by-step instruction....cycled the flasher button 45-50 times! That was it. Both turn signals and flasher worked fine. Tried an hour later and all still working fine.

So for the moment, I believe my occasional driving, combined with high humidity, likely created the above condition. Now know enough to ensure I hit the flasher button regularly, as do “TNX ZORA” & “Bill Curlee” (02/23/08). Should the problem continue, I'll follow "FL_Dave" suggestion (10/03/09) and squirt some electrical cleaner through a small hole.

Want to thank so many for providing great assistance and expertise in solving a potentially dangerous condition. Again, the problem is apparently resolved at no cost, and I learned lots along the way. You all make the Forum what it is. 555 Guy

dlboyd41 09-24-2010 11:30 AM

Very well said Sir!
Oh, and thank you Rebel1, I got it done. I did have to tie both pink wires together to get mine to work.

Rebel 1 09-24-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by dlboyd41 (Post 1575423217)
Very well said Sir!
Oh, and thank you Rebel1, I got it done. I did have to tie both pink wires together to get mine to work.

You're welcome! It is nice to know you will always have signals when needed.
I had tried exercising the hazard switch about a 150 times over several months Plus using contact cleaner and signals would sometimes work for a while. The car sits in a climate controlled garage with No Humidity or Moisture with only occasional driving so i knew that had nothing to do with the hazard switch whether that affected it or not.
Wife drives this car and i wanted a Permanent fix.:cheers:

scottsdalecessna 09-25-2010 07:19 PM

you can't beat the harness that installs with just removal of the panel beneath the steering wheel. And it keeps my column lock bypass company.....

CPP1 11-17-2010 11:05 PM

I just replaced my switch and did it in under an hour. Thank you for the great instructions!

HD_Honey 04-24-2011 10:16 PM

autozone flasher #EL12 work in an 04?

I've already changed out the hazard switch--seemed like it corrected the problem with my lights--with the exception of the front driver's blinker..started dim--now out--along with rear pass blinker-which was working fine! Trying to head outta town for a 4500mile trip in 2 days! HELP!!

Rebel 1 04-25-2011 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by HD_Honey (Post 1577434472)
I've already changed out the hazard switch--seemed like it corrected the problem with my lights--with the exception of the front driver's blinker..started dim--now out--along with rear pass blinker-which was working fine! Trying to head outta town for a 4500mile trip in 2 days! HELP!!

I used the EL-12 Tridon flasher to Bypass the original troublesome hazard switch, but since you have changed out the hazard switch it sounds like your front blinker bulb has finally burnt out.
Install a new front drivers bulb.

The rear pass. bulb sounds like it is burned out as well.
All the bulbs must be good for signals to operate correctly.

Edit: Happened to remember, Some people have had problems with their turn signal switch. If the above doesn't fix it, could be that.

Good luck.

Bob

HD_Honey 04-25-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel 1 (Post 1577435733)
I used the EL-12 Tridon flasher to Bypass the original troublesome hazard switch, but since you have changed out the hazard switch it sounds like your front blinker bulb has finally burnt out.
Install a new front drivers bulb.

The rear pass. bulb sounds like it is burned out as well.
All the bulbs must be good for signals to operate correctly.

Edit: Happened to remember, Some people have had problems with their turn signal switch. If the above doesn't fix it, could be that.

Good luck.

Bob

Front bulb is an led & only half of it is working--so replacing that bulb--however, the rear bulbs are standard bulbs & still good. So in the end, still don't have rear pass blinkers--got brake lights & flashers--

Rebel 1 04-25-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by HD_Honey (Post 1577436946)
Front bulb is an led & only half of it is working--so replacing that bulb--however, the rear bulbs are standard bulbs & still good. So in the end, still don't have rear pass blinkers--got brake lights & flashers--

If all the bulbs are good, it's starting to sound like the turn signal switch.

Member Lionelhutz is good with issues such as this. I would PM him. He would probably be able to nail it down for you.

When we bought our '02, the signals only worked part time, big pain and safety hazard. :ack:
This Permanent and easy Fix costs $9.00 and about 45 min. time to complete.

Hope you can get the signals working.

Bob

Dr. Pham 05-02-2011 03:38 AM

I just had this happen to me and was able to fix it with the help of this thread! Thank you to Lionelhutz for the directions and write up!

As others had experienced, my turn signals stop working at times and worked fine other times. When they stopped working, pushing on the hazard switch would get them going again, but sometimes that would only last for a few miles then they would go out again.

I decided to just bypass the hazard switch completely for the left and right turn signal. Hazard button still works the same. I specifically sought out the Tridon EL12 Flasher at Autozone since it is electro-magnetic based as opposed to thermal based. It will last 10X longer! The thermal based flashers are usually square cubes or cylinder shaped. They are also cheaper for a reason $3.99 vs $8.99. On the Tridon EL12 you can see the electro-magnetism working as it clicks on and off since the housing is transparent.

Lionelhutz's write up was pretty clear and easy to follow. Everything works just fine and now no worries of the turn signal going out.

Thank you!
:flag:

WichitaZ06 08-07-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by RSchleder (Post 1564213618)

Thanks, The dealer wants $189 to fix hazard switch and I can't see myself taking my dash apart and even taking my radio out. The bypass price went up to $68 but it sounds like a simple fix. It says all you do is remove 4 screws on the steering column, unplug one connection and fit in the bypass box and put the column cover back on and it is fixed in 15 minutes. Sounds easy enough I am going to attempt it.:eek:

ZZ06 08-08-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by FL_Dave (Post 1571702905)
A friend from this forum stopped by today with the intermittent turn signal problem. A few years back I posted that one could drill a small hole and squirt electrical cleaner inside. We tried this trick and, so far, so good. The whole process takes 10 minutes - much easier than a switch replacement.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...illPoints3.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...rillPoints.jpg

Just pop off the flasher button and use a dremel and small drill bit to create a hole large enough to accept the straw from the electrical cleaner. (Practice the hole on a scrap first. The bit is smaller than I first thought.) I only drilled one hole. Put the straw in and hooked up the spray can. A quick squirt, work the flasher, a few more squirts, then work the flasher again.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...0/PICT0150.jpg

\
Holy tape player:eek::leaving:

phils C5 vette 08-08-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ZZ06 (Post 1578351934)
\
Holy tape player:eek::leaving:

Hey now that's my dash. lol

That's how I used to get my Xm radio to work.

I need to find my Bee Gees cassette since I dont use my Xm anymore.

:rock:

Last week I installed the flasher bypass with hopes of fixing the problem. I dont use the car enough to worry about it. Im also getting LED tail lights today to justify the bypass lol. :crazy:

MSUVette 08-09-2011 09:59 AM

After detailing my, new to me, '02 last night I drove it around the block and my turn signals would not work! After a few trys, my left signal blinked 2 or 3 times and then nothing. I checked my hazards and they work fine :confused: Since I've been around Vettes all of my life I know that they are quirky so I didn't freak out, I just got up this morning and checked the forum and it seems there is a fix :woohoo: I'll try the "cycling hazard switch" fix first to see if it helps. If it does I'll go ahead and do the bypass since I will be driving this car often. Thanks for the write-up guys!

bdog 08-09-2011 01:08 PM

Subscribed!!!!!

lionelhutz 08-09-2011 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by HD_Honey (Post 1577436946)

If all the other lights work right then it's likely the turn signal switch.

And when I say all other lights, I mean try all combinations of turn, tail, brake etc and ensure all other lights work as they should except the rear right turn.

Peter

baxsom 08-09-2011 09:08 PM

I fixed mine at the same time I did my ipod adapter install since the radio had to come out anyway. It took longer to get to the switch than it did to actually change out the switch. Taking off the knee bolster under the steering wheel helped a lot.

nauticalguyct 09-16-2011 06:31 PM

Thank You

I just changed my switch on my 2000. Your diagram helped immensely.

crAzy 10-24-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel 1 (Post 1575228430)
Easy fix for this problem. Takes about 45 minutes and $9.00. I used Tridon flasher #EL12 from Autozone.

What is the other product he has in that picture? It has the corvette logo on it. My turn signals are giving me major problems now. Figured the bypass would be better since my hazards still work. Just need to know what exactly I'll need to do it.

docohm 10-24-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06 (Post 1579038858)
What is the other product he has in that picture? It has the corvette logo on it. My turn signals are giving me major problems now. Figured the bypass would be better since my hazards still work. Just need to know what exactly I'll need to do it.

The package on the left? That is the pigtail used to plug the flasher in to. You only need a 2-wire type but all he could find at the shop was the 3-wire type so you just use 2 of the 3 wires.

I would suggest getting the better all electronic flasher as described in one of the earlier posts. They will last longer.

crAzy 10-24-2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1579039036)
The package on the left? That is the pigtail used to plug the flasher in to. You only need a 2-wire type but all he could find at the shop was the 3-wire type so you just use 2 of the 3 wires.

I would suggest getting the better all electronic flasher as described in one of the earlier posts. They will last longer.

Can I purchase all this from Autozone/Orielly? If so what are the exact part numbers?

JW Motorsports 10-24-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06 (Post 1579040048)
Can I purchase all this from Autozone/Orielly? If so what are the exact part numbers?

Order one of these and call it a day :thumbs:

http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...2&categoryId=4

Easy swap

Rebel 1 10-24-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06 (Post 1579038858)

Are you speaking about the wire pigtail? No need to buy if you have 2 wires(about 8 inches long) and put female terminals on them. The only item you need is the $9.00 flasher to connect your 2 wires to it. That's it.

Bob

Rebel 1 10-24-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06 (Post 1579040048)

I bought mine from Autozone. Pretty sure others have it as well. It is the Tridon EL12 electronic flasher. High quality item.

Bob

mtdoragary 12-02-2011 04:25 PM

Reckon I'll buy an EL12 tonight.

KY Brian 12-23-2011 07:28 PM

I got the EL12 flasher and a similiar plug(pigtail) to that in the picture at autozone and I installed it like mentioned in this thread in about 45 minutes. This thread made it so easy to do. My only problem was I snapped a piece of the sensor clip off when I was tring to unplug it but thats no big deal because it still went back in like it was originally.

Iwant1c5z 02-06-2012 08:54 PM

Ok so just bought this car on jan 21st. The right rear outer led tail light (not a euro or halo) is having issues. The light works when the running lights are on. It also works when the ignition is on acc but doesnt work at all when the engine is on. No brakes, turn signal, flashers yada yada. So if it was a fuse or short or something along those lines why would the inside passenger tail light work in all instances but the outer doesnt?

Iwant1c5z 02-08-2012 07:09 PM

Any thoughts? Think I should change the flasher assembly?

pantherchams 06-13-2012 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! Mine finally went out totally, and I just got a weird buzzing from behind the hazard switch. I picked up the el-12 flasher from auto zone for 9.99, cut the pink and purple wires, slapped on some spade connectors, and hooked it up.

Took maybe 15 min including cleaning some things while I was down there.

Ben

gotz06? 06-14-2012 02:05 PM

I need to fix mine also

1965markaccount 07-15-2012 03:35 PM

My Momma always said the only dumb question is the one you don't ask so with Forrest Gump running through my head, How do you pop off the hazard switch cover? I don't use my 01 much but I need to get it inspected and want to try the electrical cleaner. I am guessing you ply with a screw driver but I don't want to force it if there is an easy way to do it.

427ZM 10-27-2012 08:37 PM

Ok, I bought my first Z yesterday, and I think it has flasher issue, but I want to see what you (advanced corvette forum members) think. Here's what it's doing: all the turn signals work, parking lights work, blinkers work, tail lights work, and the flashers work. That said, when I brake, the drivers' side tail lights both light up, but only the outer passengers' side lights up. The bulbs are obviously good, they work when the lights are on and when the blinkers signal.

So, is this the beginning of the hazard/flasher issue?

i_own_a_z06 04-11-2013 03:14 AM

turn signal/hazards problem

QUESTION? I have been reading the threads on the fix for the blinker/hazard problem and it seems im having the same problem but i notice a lot of the threads saying to play with the hazard button while using your turn signals.
Mine work for a bit then cut out completely even if i try to hit the dash or play with the hazard button i dont get anything they just stop working like its overheated so will the bypass fix that still?

I hate to keep throwing parts at it.

docohm 04-11-2013 04:30 PM

Mine was that way too, at first, if I messed with the hazard button it would work OK for awhile, later, that didn't help. I'm pretty sure it's your hazard button, use the new method now to bypass the module. Check this out:
http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
DocOhm

Sids04 04-12-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by pantherchams (Post 1581067291)
Thanks for the info everyone! Mine finally went out totally, and I just got a weird buzzing from behind the hazard switch. I picked up the el-12 flasher from auto zone for 9.99, cut the pink and purple wires, slapped on some spade connectors, and hooked it up.

Took maybe 15 min including cleaning some things while I was down there.

Ben

I did the same thing except I used the headlight plug instead of regular spade connectors... Works awesome..

vettelover510 07-14-2013 11:52 PM

Just replaced with a bypass harness this weekend. Blinkers actually function at more normal rate and the flashers work every time. It took hardly anytime to install. I will keep you informed of the status of the issue.

cooperhawk 08-22-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1583612299)
Mine was that way too, at first, if I messed with the hazard button it would work OK for awhile, later, that didn't help. I'm pretty sure it's your hazard button, use the new method now to bypass the module. Check this out:
http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
DocOhm

For those not so mechanically inclined the dealer replacemet of the flasher switch will run about $360

strand rider 08-23-2013 03:17 PM

It was suggested to me that WD 40 would give a longer lasting effect than electrical cleaner on old volume controls that had gotten, "scratchy", intermittent contact when adjusting volume. It was true, the ongoing occasional repair with electrical spray ended with the switch to WD 40. This suggestion was for Hi Fi equipment, but it might be useful information here.

Todds427 08-24-2013 09:37 PM

I just removed the knee panel, cut the two wires and added spade connectors with a lifetime flasher, WOW very easy to do and works perfect! THANKS to all for this great information, now I don't have to worry about getting hit from behind when I turn :thumbs: I say don't waste your time trying anything else, this is very easy to do, 4 screws, unplug a couple connectors, cut two wires, crimp on connectors and replace everything, DONE in less than 30 min taking my time! Cost $18 at Autozone for lifetime flasher and connectors.

tstar 08-25-2013 04:35 AM

:iagree: The DIY fix is very easy... For those not wishing to cut wires and such in their car you can buy a Hyperflash Harness. I know JW Motoring sells them because I make them for him! :rofl:

I actually have to make him a bunch...

erikszr1 08-26-2013 12:17 PM

just replaced this switch in a customers car. very easy to diagnose and replace. not sure why we would want to try and fix it or whatever. cheap enough too.

sargeter 09-02-2013 09:26 PM

Just replaced the right front signal bulb a couple of weeks ago in my '02 and it is not working again. The dash signal light blinks rapidly. Could flasher be causing it? Haven't removed the bulb yet to see if it's blown. I've only had the car for a couple of months. My first 'Vette.

Bill Curlee 09-02-2013 09:44 PM

If the bulb has a poor connection in the socket or the wires on the socket are bad, it will loose connection and flash fast inside

Also measure the socket ground wire to chassis ground.. Should be ZERO Ohms
BC

stevenm357 10-21-2013 07:06 PM

Awesome info, just replaced mine, have pretty big hands and it took a little longer, but got it done!

Chris Edwards 02-17-2014 07:33 PM

I have a question about cutting the two wires and using the EL12 flasher. Will the hazard switch on the dash still work like OEM ?

Sids04 02-17-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by lxcoupe (Post 1586198087)
I have a question about cutting the two wires and using the EL12 flasher. Will the hazard switch on the dash still work like OEM ?

Yes it will

mmille13 03-13-2014 07:02 PM

turn signals blink like hazards

When I put on either Left or Right turn signals both blink like my hazards were on. I assumed it was the hazard switch so I replaced that, still the same thing, both blink like hazards. So I tried doing the bypass with the blinker switch on the pink and purple wires. Still the same thing both sides blink like Hazards.

Anyone else experience this or have a fix or solution?

Frankie 69 04-21-2014 07:17 PM

Good Post

Thanks for posting the procedure to replace the flasher switch. It helped save me $350, which is what the shop wanted to charge me for my 2002 Vette. I ordered the new switch on internet for $25. It took me about 2 hours at a relaxed pace. Additionally, I had to remove the waterfall cover at the back of the console in order to move the console to the rear. :cheers:

DubyaS6 06-03-2014 05:22 PM

Ok so read through all of this and it seems like most are having the best luck with the switch replacement which I am definitely not opposed to doing; however I do have a question:

Will this solve the problem of my bulbs going bad? My turn signals seem to work fine until it rains or the car is washed etc and then they stop working because the bulbs are bad. If I replace them, they are back without a problem.

I have reason to believe my issue isn't with the switch, its with my bulbs going back extremely fast. Maybe due to getting wet somehow? Is this a common problem?

It's about to drive me insane.

Blue_C5 04-20-2017 01:19 PM

C5 Turn Signals

I drilled the hole and worked the flasher button which cleans the gunk off the contacts. Lasted about 1 month.
Redid the procedure and they have been working flawlessly for more than a year. Don't waste your time and money on a new flasher switch assy.

Bob Drake
Blue C5

Originally Posted by FL_Dave (Post 1571702905)

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps9bdf81d0.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...psb9735461.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps1e63cc61.jpg

Blue_C5 04-20-2017 01:20 PM

Methos works great! You may have to repeat it a few times to clean the contacts well. It has been a year and mine are still working fine.

JESSTERLSX 05-31-2017 01:48 PM

Rise up from the dead ye old thread haha! Awesome info in here gang. Quick question, I intend to put LEDs in the from(switchback) and LEDs in the rear. The flasher fix thing from Corvette Enhancements would fix my flashers not working sometimes and it would stop hyper flash. Is that correct?

FX VETTE 05-31-2017 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by JESSTERLSX (Post 1594850942)
Rise up from the dead ye old thread haha! Awesome info in here gang. Quick question, I intend to put LEDs in the from(switchback) and LEDs in the rear. The flasher fix thing from Corvette Enhancements would fix my flashers not working sometimes and it would stop hyper flash. Is that correct?

C5 Hyperflash Harness, available from several vendors. One has them on sale right now in the parts section.

JESSTERLSX 05-31-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by AE Guy (Post 1594850959)
C5 Hyperflash Harness, available from several vendors. One has them on sale right now in the parts section.

Understood. So the hyper flash harness that I mentioned or any others that are similar, they will serve both purposes that I mentioned? Fix LED hyper flash and the hazard switch blinker issue? That was the point of my comment.

FX VETTE 05-31-2017 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JESSTERLSX (Post 1594851678)
Understood. So the hyper flash harness that I mentioned or any others that are similar, they will serve both purposes that I mentioned? Fix LED hyper flash and the hazard switch blinker issue? That was the point of my comment.

Hyperflash Harness is the cure when installing LED's in the taillights and front corners. To be honest, I haven't had time to read through this whole old thread to see what the hazard issue is.

JESSTERLSX 05-31-2017 11:30 PM

Yes I knos what hyper flash is and that the harness will fix that... The entire point to my question is will it fix both? If you're not sure cool. Hopefully someone else knows. I know that it will fix hyper flash that is literally its name and description.

chain_5001 06-01-2017 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by JESSTERLSX (Post 1594854777)
Yes I knos what hyper flash is and that the harness will fix that... The entire point to my question is will it fix both? If you're not sure cool. Hopefully someone else knows. I know that it will fix hyper flash that is literally its name and description.

Yes, the hyper flash harness will​ fix the blinkers if they are not working. The hyper flash harness will bypass/replace the original flasher for the blinkers.

TGO 06-01-2017 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel 1 (Post 1575228430)

Originally Posted by Rebel 1 (Post 1575228493)
To do this Bypass, All YOU REMOVE IS THE KNEE PANEL, nothing else.

LINK:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Start at Part 1.

Yeah I bought one of the plug in bypass kits from some vendor here. Took 5 minutes and worked like a charm. Ya'll are crazy messing with taking apart switches and drilling holes.

JESSTERLSX 06-01-2017 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by chain_5001 (Post 1594854957)
Yes, the hyper flash harness will​ fix the blinkers if they are not working. The hyper flash harness will bypass/replace the original flasher for the blinkers.

Awesome! Then I'll just order that instead of getting resistors. Thank you!

Ronald M. 09-07-2017 03:39 PM

2003 right front turn signal does not work, changed the bulb still does not work

Rebel 1 09-07-2017 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TGO (Post 1594855072)
Yeah I bought one of the plug in bypass kits from some vendor here. Took 5 minutes and worked like a charm. Ya'll are crazy messing with taking apart switches and drilling holes.

IF you had Actually Read the links i provided it there is NO "Taking apart switches" Or "Drilling holes".:crazy2: Spewing false info. is Not helpful to others.

TimHaws 03-26-2018 09:00 PM

Link not working

I can't get the link to work?

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1562030284)
Having trouble with your turn signals? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't? Mine was doing that too, at first I could mess with the emergency flasher button and the turn signals would work. Then I had to move it more and more. Finally, they quit working all together. So I finally took the time to replace it. I documented the whole method here:
http://www.kd5fx.com/vette.html
Save the wave!
Doc

JESSTERLSX 03-26-2018 09:53 PM

http://www.kd5fx.com/HSwitch/HSwitch.htm

Try that

TimHaws 03-27-2018 08:00 AM

Thank you

thanks so much

SG Lou 01-25-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by docohm (Post 1562030284)
http://www.kd5fx.com/vette.html
Save the wave!
Doc

Great info. Your link has been bookmarked.

TL2005 02-26-2019 09:58 AM

docohm,
I'm brand new to Forum. I have a 2005, driven infrequently. Recently the flashers started going off by themselves. They blink about 20 minutes every 15 minutes. The first time we weren't home and the battery ran down. I am NOT having turn signal issues and have no error codes or message on DIC. Have looked at both fuse boxes (engine and passenger floor).and cannot find a bad fuse.I can't find a post in this thread with exact symptoms but don't feel I need to use the bypass solution because the turn signals work fine. Right now the battery is disconnected. What would be the next suggested solution before taking to dealer?

SG Lou 02-26-2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TL2005 (Post 1598949387)
docohm,
I'm brand new to Forum. I have a 2005, driven infrequently. Recently the flashers started going off by themselves. They blink about 20 minutes every 15 minutes. The first time we weren't home and the battery ran down. I am NOT having turn signal issues and have no error codes or message on DIC. Have looked at both fuse boxes (engine and passenger floor).and cannot find a bad fuse.I can't find a post in this thread with exact symptoms but don't feel I need to use the bypass solution because the turn signals work fine. Right now the battery is disconnected. What would be the next suggested solution before taking to dealer?

You may want to go over to the C6 Tech section and ask there. Someone may have come across this issue. This is C5 Tech. :thumbs:

RJCarr 07-05-2020 01:55 PM

FL Dave - I have been at your post several times over the last couple of years - each time intending to fix the turn signal issue. Today, after the headlight problem was resolved (again without having to add the metal gear), I took a stab at your proffered signal solution - Dremel and WD-40. Without the in-dash photo with the straw sticking out I would have been at a loss to follow the otherwise simple procedure. [I had to grab a flashlight to prove my switch looked like yours.] It took longer to get the flasher button off than it did to drill a hole and shoot in WD-40. I have to put gas in the car for first time this year so I will check out the fix while on the road. So far it looks like another problem solved. Thanks much.