C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Pictures of ZO6 and ZO7 package aviation-style winglets

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 AM
CNB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Pictures of ZO6 and ZO7 package aviation-style winglets

Here are a couple of pictures showing the difference between the small and large aviation-style winglets on the ZO6 and ZO7 package.

According to the article posted on NCM, the Z06 will offer three, increasing levels of aerodynamic downforce:
  • The standard Z06 features a front splitter, spats around the front wheel openings, a unique carbon-fiber hood with a larger vent, and the rear spoiler from the Corvette Stingray’s Z51 Performance Package
  • An available carbon-fiber aero package - in either black or a visible carbon-fiber finish - adds a carbon fiber front splitter with aviation-style winglets, carbon fiber rocker panels, and a larger rear spoiler with a fixed wickerbill – a small, vertical tab at the edge of the spoiler that significantly increases downforce.
  • The available Z07 package add larger winglets to the front splitter, along with an adjustable, see-through center section on the rear spoiler for track use. With this package, the Corvette Z06 delivers the most aerodynamic downforce of any production car that GM has tested.
ZO6 winglet

ZO7 package winglet
Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I think they look bad and tacked on.

And all the different colors and material make it worse.

- Black Plastic fender flare
- Carbon Flash Painted Winglet
- Body Colored fender
- Exposed Carbon Fiber Splitter

That's a lot going on in such a small space.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I for one like it the way it is, taste is in the eye of the beholder. The car looks super aggressive and it's obvious that the car was designed to function instead of designed to look cool standing still.

To the OP good eye on the cutaway model having the small endcaps, I saw it last night when I was browsing the pictures and was going to post a similar thread but you beat me to it!

To anyone else that's going to jump on the "looks cheesy and tacky" badnwagon let me direct you to the threads you're actually looking for:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...the-front.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...photoshop.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...t-fenders.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...iners-umm.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...cceptable.html

If I missed one...sorry. It's funny because the same people complain in each post, we could just consolidate it all into one long stream of disappointment for a select few. The way people get worked up over the tiniest things kinda scares me. I don't want to buy my first Corvette and socialize with such negative people in Corvette clubs. I know that the whiners always seem the loudest but jeez...I have never dealt with such pettiness or elitism in any car group I have ever belonged to.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

For a DD car, I will take mine without the aero packages.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

Maybe they will make them in Carbon Fiber or the aftermarket will make them in Carbon Fiber. But I understand what you are saying.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 AM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa

- Body Colored fender

It's a long time til production starts and I, for one,hope to see a change there!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

CF would produce an awesome look.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM should redo the fenders ,the zr1 didn't have spats. Or they should reduce tire size so spats are not needed . They might look better in body color at least and they might look better in carbon fiber . But they look awful in black plastic and don't want to buy a black car to make them disappear more.
And they should offer no front splitter setup like the past z06 as one of the available optioins or possibly front splitte and side skirts but no spats and winglets like the c6 z06.

I don't care how functional the spats are they look like crap. I will still be buying a c7 z06 in couple of years but won't be 100% happy with the cars looks if gm or aftermarket don't come up with a better solution to the plastic black spats.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

- Body Colored fender

100% Lots of room for improvement here.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Meaning

Originally Posted by ALLANB
GM should redo the fenders ,the zr1 didn't have spats. Or they should reduce tire size so spats are not needed . They might look better in body color at least and they might look better in carbon fiber . But they look awful in black plastic and don't want to buy a black car to make them disappear more.
And they should offer no front splitter setup like the past z06 as one of the available optioins or possibly front splitte and side skirts but no spats and winglets like the c6 z06.

I don't care how functional the spats are they look like crap. I will still be buying a c7 z06 in couple of years but won't be 100% happy with the cars looks if gm or aftermarket don't come up with a better solution to the plastic black spats.
Could some one please help me...! What are the splitters, winglets, spats etc that everyone is writing about? Specific pictures of each...thank you...bob
Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I also don't like them and would be looking for an alternative. I really don't care how much downforce it gives the car, but for me the looks are more important. I suppose they will do it for the GS which is bound to come with a less aggressive splitter etc. I don't even really like the large splitter on the ZR1, which is why I never put one on my Z06, but that one is better looking than this by far
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLANB

The highlighted language above pretty much says it about the Corvette family. We have some who just want great looks, and some who just want great function, and the common ground is not that great. Frankly, if you want great looks, I say buy a C7 Stingray. Why pay for all of that Z06 hardware if you are not going to use it? No one needs 620-plus HP and half a dozen fluid coolers and CCBs to run to Sonic....

As for track guys, one poster on another thread noted the aero bits will take a beating at the track and if they are reasonably priced (i.e. not carbon fiber) that may not be a bad thing....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 01-20-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

- Body Colored fender

This all could change by the time production starts BUT it's really about function and this stuff all works...

This is a track car with the Z07 package and really not a good design for street use. Much of that stuff will be left all over driveway ramps and parking lots on street use cars.... Probably not a good idea to order a Z07 is you only plan to drive around town..

As for the winglets looking "tacked on" they kind of are. They will be interchangeable...

Last edited by Glennm27; 01-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
CNB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

There's good news for the guys who don't like all of the additional aero pieces. The standard Z06 features a front splitter and spats around the front wheel openings but there's no mention of the winglets. I think that will offer the cleanest look!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
CNB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rrm
Could some one please help me...! What are the splitters, winglets, spats etc that everyone is writing about? Specific pictures of each...thank you...bob
Bob,

They're in the photos in my original post. Look at the bottom of the bumper and the beginning of the wheel well opening. You can see what looks like a vertical wing. The first picture shows a somewhat small winglet and the second picture shows a winglet that goes about half way up the wheel well.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:47 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Simple!

It is just going to have to "Haul ***"!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Might have to buy the track winglets and have them added on my ZR1 style splitter on my C6 Z06. That they are functional is all that really matters.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of ZO6 and ZO7 package aviation-style winglets

Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by strawboss
It's a long time til production starts and I, for one,hope to see a change there!

The front end is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but I hope it's because this car had to be hurried for the introduction. They have nearly a year to get it cleaned up.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

- Body Colored fender

Things could change before production.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
The highlighted language above pretty much says it about the Corvette family. We have some who just want great looks, and some who just want great function, and the common ground is not that great. Frankly, if you want great looks, I say buy a C7 Stingray. Why pay for all of that Z06 hardware if you are not going to use it? No one needs 620-plus HP and half a dozen fluid coolers and CCBs to run to Sonic....

As for track guys, one poster on another thread noted the aero bits will take a beating at the track and if they are reasonably priced (i.e. not carbon fiber) that may not be a bad thing....
Why not let the underside of a correctly sized front quarter (to match the tire size) nobody would ever see take the beating instead of a disposable plastic part the whole world can see ?

Bottom line is, all the rubicon add-ons are accomplishing is taking a public beating for what would never be noticed if GM had just made a wider front quarter and bumper to begin with, instead of tacking on disposable plastic parts as if they are an afterthought and not part of the original design

Quick Reply: Pictures of ZO6 and ZO7 package aviation-style winglets