C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C'mon GM..what up with the front?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Default C'mon GM..what up with the front?

Love the car, love the new grey, but that front end is an absolute mess. I realize it's all about aero, but to substitute any semblance of a clean design with some cheap, ugly plastic bits shows me that GM still doesn't completely get it. Were they too cheap to create a new, wider front fascia to match some new, wider front fenders? Talk about fumbling on the one yard line......
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I say hooray for letting engineers dominate the design process instead Harley Earl wannabees.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the Stingray front end may have been designed from the start to add the aero pieces of the Z06 without needing additonal front bumper support unlike the C6 Z06 and ZR1. If this is correct, it will allow a Stingray owner to add the aero bits without spending a small fortune on reinforcements. Since the aero is functional it looks great to me.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Love the car, love the new grey, but that front end is an absolute mess. I realize it's all about aero, but to substitute any semblance of a clean design with some cheap, ugly plastic bits shows me that GM still doesn't completely get it. Were they too cheap to create a new, wider front fascia to match some new, wider front fenders? Talk about fumbling on the one yard line......
Yeah, I guess Corvette knows nothing about aerodynamic function and design. In 2013, only a record 10th championship, and second consecutive in the highly competitive GT category in ALMS. The Pratt & Miller squad also clinched its 10th teams’ title, remarkably in only its 15th year of ALMS competition.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Looking at the picture in this post, I think I see why they may have done it this way. This car is still a work in progress, according to what I have heard. If they change the front tire size they can more easily accommodate that with a fender liner change.

Maybe when everything is finalized it'll look like the OP wants it to look like.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Raisin Man
Yeah, I guess Corvette knows nothing about aerodynamic function and design. In 2013, only a record 10th championship, and second consecutive in the highly competitive GT category in ALMS. The Pratt & Miller squad also clinched its 10th teams’ title, remarkably in only its 15th year of ALMS competition.
You missed the point.

What percentage of people who buy this car will actually get the benefit of these racing design elements that look horrible on a street car? I'd much prefer a wider, more integrated front end without all the black plastic origami. Hopefully that crap is limited to the Z07 package.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,394 Posts

You missed the point.

What percentage of people who buy this car will actually get the benefit of these racing design elements that look horrible on a street car? I'd much prefer a wider, more integrated front end without all the black plastic origami. Hopefully that crap is limited to the Z07 package.
It's a track car. You want a street car, there's the Stingray.

Next you are going to say you want an automatic.

Michael
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM
evo8power
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael

Disagree with this statement 100%. I totally agree with the OP. Nobody aside from a professional driver, will ever experience what those small plastic pieces really help with downforce. And aside from downforce there horrific looking...
Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

You missed the point.

It's the old "How many people will actually put their cars on the track?" argument. I, for one, would rather have something on the car for a functional value rather than an aesthetic one. But if you really don't like it, you can follow the lead of the people who plan on removing the rear deck spoiler.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8power
Disagree with this statement 100%. I totally agree with the OP. Nobody aside from a professional driver, will ever experience what those small plastic pieces really help with downforce. And aside from downforce there horrific looking...
Anybody going to a track will benefit from the aero pieces. No professional status necessary. Just get a Stingray and add a blower if you don't like the aero.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM
evo8power
Racer

Originally Posted by stevebz06
It's the old "How many people will actually put their cars on the track?" argument. I, for one, would rather have something on the car for a functional value rather than an aesthetic one. But if you really don't like it, you can follow the lead of the people who plan on removing the rear deck spoiler.
I think the rear spoiler looks insane!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM
evo8power
Racer

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Anybody going to a track will benefit from the aero pieces. No professional status necessary. Just get a Stingray and add a blower if you don't like the aero.
I'm sticking with my 13" Shelby for a while
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,007 Likes on 5,371 Posts

It looks like you didn't get it. If you don't see it nobody can help you.

Bill
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

This is what happens when you give the opportunity for anyone to buy a track car. Buy a stingray if you don't like it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
evo8power
Racer

Originally Posted by LFZ
This is what happens when you give the opportunity for anyone to buy a track car. Buy a stingray if you don't like it.
Is it a track car or the production made Chevy vehicle??? A track car seems like a car you trailer to the track and then put it away and work on it at home in the garage
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
It's not a track car. It's a street car with track capabilities. A track car would be the C7R....which BTW has a much cleaner and better looking front end.

What I "want" is a 625+Hp Corvette that doesn't look like it was duct taped together at a polystyrene yard sale. Automatic? Hell yeah!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:14 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8power
Is it a track car or the production made Chevy vehicle??? A track car seems like a car you trailer to the track and then put it away and work on it at home in the garage
Please...it is a car with incredible handling and performance capabilities that Include design elements to take full advantage on the track. If all you're going to do is drive to DQ on Sundays, then sure it's not necessary, but then again...don't bitch about the look if you know you're getting the most track capable corvette ever.

Get notified of new replies

To C'mon GM..what up with the front?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It's not a track car. It's a street car with track capabilities. A track car would be the C7R....which BTW has a much cleaner and better looking front end.

What I "want" is a 625+Hp Corvette that doesn't look like it was duct taped together at a polystyrene yard sale. Automatic? Hell yeah!
Unless you're a drag racer..wouldn't you want the benefit of the aero pieces to go along with the 625+ hp?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,394 Posts

I knew it. This is exactly why they should not have put an automatic in the Z06. You end up getting cruisers who complain about the performance pieces.

Why should they put aero pieces on that would have to be color matched and painted every time there was an off track excursion, or even hitting a parking bumper? As far as I am concerned, they really thought this through.

Michael
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

You can't be serious.

Quick Reply: C'mon GM..what up with the front?