Sponsored by:

Reliability - Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Reliability - Consumer Reports

The December 2014 issue provides the annual subscriber reliability results. The C7 bar graph appears to be about -15% worse than the average reliability of all vehicle brands & models. +/- 20% is considered the "average" bracket.

As way of reference, the Chevy Impala is -81% and Chevy Cruze -143%. On the plus side for the General; the CTS, Buick Verano and Regal are all about +25%, 30% or so. Buick is the only GM brand with a high rating, other GM brands are in the bottom half overall.

For Porsche: 911 is -10%; Boxster +20% and Cayman +30%. On the other end of the German spectrum is Mercedes: the S-Class is -127% and CLA is -145%. Overall, M-B is below all GM brands.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
The December 2014 issue provides the annual subscriber reliability results. The C7 bar graph appears to be about -15% worse than the average reliability of all vehicle brands & models. +/- 20% is considered the "average" bracket.

As way of reference, the Chevy Impala is -81% and Chevy Cruze -143%. On the plus side for the General; the CTS, Buick Verano and Regal are all about +25%, 30% or so. Buick is the only GM brand with a high rating, other GM brands are in the bottom half overall.

For Porsche: 911 is -10%; Boxster +20% and Cayman +30%. On the other end of the German spectrum is Mercedes: the S-Class is -127% and CLA is -145%. Overall, M-B is below all GM brands.
Yikes, Glad I did not buy that Impala LTZ I was looking at a couple weeks ago.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default reference this

1-get in car
2-start Vette
3-put in sport mode
4-exhaust opens up
5-drive away
6-smiling ear to ear
7-can't stand up
8-this is better than any survey!!! 100% enjoyment
9-don't need a survey to tell me how great this car is!!
10-use magazine to light my fireplace!

ENJOY THE VETTE! AMERICA'S #1 SPORTS CAR
Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Consumer Reports reliability data are worth some consideration, but they have a real problem with quantifying the severity and cost of reliability problems they report. A number of years ago they reported cost data, but apparently they gave up.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Looks like the Porsche 911 and the Corvette rank about the same.

And what's going on at Mercedes? They got slammed hard.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wrmiles
Consumer Reports reliability data are worth some consideration, but they have a real problem with quantifying the severity and cost of reliability problems they report. A number of years ago they reported cost data, but apparently they gave up.
That's the problem, it's hard to quantify the severity of issues in a single value. Mine had 7 issues that appeared in the first week. I would consider 4 of them as medium and the other 3 minor, but I'm sure others would say anything short of a failing engine is minor.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone consider that people tend to respond to surveys when they have problems and probably do not respond when they have no problems? I'll bet Corvette reliability is way better than CR reports.

We have owned 11. Too early to answer on a C7 anyway. 2012 GS had zero problems. 2007 Z06 had rocker arm issues early on. Three C5s (2 Z06 & FRC) had minimal issues over many years. Two C4s (96 CE and 89) had minor trim problems w/door panels only. All-in-all, very reliable over many years.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,583 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
...what's going on at Mercedes? They got slammed hard.
To answer that question, I use the Africanized Honey Bee (AHB) analogy. When the AHBs were accidentally transported from Africa to South America, they got out and started to mate with the more docile honey bee. By the time they worked their way up into the U.S., most of their aggression had been bred out and the bees were no longer a danger.

Same thing at Mercedes. In 1998, Daimler Benz absorbed Chrysler in what some called a "Merger" (more like a hostile takeover). The execs at Benz (after draining Chrysler of billions in cash reserves) soon learned they could make a lot more money by adopting the shoddy (at the time) Chrysler materials and build methods at their plants back in Germany, which they still apply to this very day (look inside any Mercedes today, the materials will remind you of a Dodge Caliper). Sad, very sad for what WAS a world class automobile builder.

The joke was ultimately on them, as Chrysler has managed through its removal from Daimler and ultimate merger with Fiat to vastly improve its materials and methods. As a result, the overall quality over at Chrysler has actually improved, while the build quality at Mercedes is now pretty much horrendous. Sadly, the execs over at Mercedes still wonder what went wrong...
Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 PM
GreginNH
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
To answer that question, I use the Africanized Honey Bee (AHB) analogy. When the AHBs were accidentally transported from Africa to South America, they got out and started to mate with the more docile honey bee. By the time they worked their way up into the U.S., most of their aggression had been bred out and the bees were no longer a danger.

Same thing at Mercedes. In 1998, Daimler Benz absorbed Chrysler in what some called a "Merger" (more like a hostile takeover). The execs at Benz (after draining Chrysler of billions in cash reserves) soon learned they could make a lot more money by adopting the shoddy (at the time) Chrysler materials and build methods at their plants back in Germany, which they still apply to this very day (look inside any Mercedes today, the materials will remind you of a Dodge Caliper). Sad, very sad for what WAS a world class automobile builder.

The joke was ultimately on them, as Chrysler has managed through its removal from Daimler and ultimate merger with Fiat to vastly improve its materials and methods. As a result, the overall quality over at Chrysler has actually improved, while the build quality at Mercedes is now pretty much horrendous. Sadly, the execs over at Mercedes still wonder what went wrong...
I couldn't agree more with the above statement. MB is total crap. The last decent car they built was in the mid 80's.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
Well, not quite....According to a summary of the Consumer Reports in today's NY Times, Chrysler was at the bottom of the list and the Fiat 500 was the the least reliable new car.

AND for what its worth, "the Ford dual clutch power shift 6 speed showed no significant improvement".

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 11-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by GreginNH
I couldn't agree more with the above statement. MB is total crap. The last decent car they built was in the mid 80's.
I wouldn't mind having an old diesel MB sedan from back then. Hard to find them with low miles tho.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

you guys have to be kidding me, chryslers are the biggest turds on the road bar none!

i am not saying MB is the end all be all, but I have owned 4 in the last 2 years (i change cars a lot - 15 in the last 4 years) and going from my current benz into my C7 and back makes the C7 feel like a tin shitbox.

getting into any chrysler feels like a 90's rental car.

if you think an MB is bad quality you haven't sat in/driven one since 2007, give or take a year or two depending on the model. Go get in a 2014/2015 S Class and name one car on the road that is better. There isn't one and I would put it up against anything!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,126 Likes on 6,194 Posts

JD Powers might disagree:
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 PM
BelchfireV8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIC

Frankly Scarlet, I don`t give a ..... Everyone slams U.S. brands, but my Rams, Jeeps, Chevys and Vettes have all been winners, so I don`t care.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by GreginNH
Hey Hey easy on the throttle. The wife's M-B C300, built in 2011... one minor issue in 3.5 yrs. If I wasn't into Vettes I'd have to conclude your C7 is total crap from reading abt issues on C7 Discussion. C5 has 23+ known issues by my last count.

But having had more than my fair share of these, I won't say they're total crap. Just the usual expectation.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:20 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Oh I left out the current talk on C6
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3557145
Old 11-04-2014, 05:19 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC

Chevrolet needs to address these problems and it's my opinion that they are dragging their feet.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyVet
Anyone consider that people tend to respond to surveys when they have problems and probably do not respond when they have no problems? I'll bet Corvette reliability is way better than CR reports.
This same bias would affect the reporting for all brands equally. So no, I don't think this is a consideration.

This report, which places the C7 within the "Average" band, should be good enough to permit CR to identify the Stingray as a "Recommended" car in its February issue, which is devoted solely to cars. They were very positive about it when they test-drove it, but could not recommend it then because there was no reliability data. You C7 owners might not care a bit about this, but keep in mind that it will help your resale value when you trade up to the C8.

This "Average" ranking is consistent with the usual rating given to the C5 and early C6s, but an improvement over late C6s, which seemed to falter during the "Government Motors" bailout phase of the company's existence.

Get notified of new replies

To Reliability - Consumer Reports

Quick Reply: Reliability - Consumer Reports