Sponsored by:

Tire and Rim Protection Package

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Jim422
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and Rim Protection Package

So, I finally get to pick up my new C7 from the dealer tomorrow! As expected, the usual push from the dealer about extended warranties, protection packages, etc are coming. I usually pass on these things when I buy a new car but I am considering one: the Tire and Rim protection package through GM. It's appx $1100 for 5 years with no deductible. Since I live in an area where potholes and poor road conditions abound, I'm wondering if this might be worthwhile. Has anybody out there purchased this protection and if so, do you find it was worth it? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim422
I am considering one: the Tire and Rim protection package through GM. It's appx $1100 for 5 years with no deductible.
Read it CAREFULLY. It's not through GM, but an aftermarket product that may or may not be worth it. Understand the mark-up on these packages is 100%++
That sounds awfully high...

Last edited by Modshack; 06-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 PM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought the GM warranty bumper to bumper because I had it on my C6 and needed it for my navigation . They replaced my defective one for a new one w/o any questions asked. I passed on the tire wheel package because I don't believe it's from GM and my friend had it for his new SS Camereo . When his wheel bent the dealership gave every excuse not to fix it . So for that reason I passed on that warranty package . Good luck with your new car, you will love it. Enjoy
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Not worth it.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

If your gonna buy one I'd suggest the new GMPP Tire/Wheel Protection warranty.

Contact Dennis Fichtner for info and pricing. But it is better and cheaper
Old 06-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

You're correct in that it's not for GM. It IS NOTan insurance policy but listed as a warranty on the contract. The price IS negotiable. Back on 11 October when I took delivery of Lola they offered it to me for a similar price. I had already researched the price of tires & wheels (not cheap). So I told the F&I guy that sells all that stuff I was going home to check on the internet with other dealers to see if there was a better deal. If I couldn't find one, I'd be back. He knew then he had to sell it as low as he could or not at all. I bought it for $695 bucks. In April of this year I picked up two roofing nails in the same L/R tire. GM say's NO to patching the run flats. The warranty company paid $560 and change for tire, mounting & balancing, & BS tax's. It's still early in the game and I'm very happy I bought it. Try the same tactic and you'll probably get a better price. He WAS aware one of my retirements was from the retail end of the automobile business.
So, I finally get to pick up my new C7 from the dealer tomorrow! As expected, the usual push from the dealer about extended warranties, protection packages, etc are coming. I usually pass on these things when I buy a new car but I am considering one: the Tire and Rim protection package through GM. It's appx $1100 for 5 years with no deductible. Since I live in an area where potholes and poor road conditions abound, I'm wondering if this might be worthwhile. Has anybody out there purchased this protection and if so, do you find it was worth it? Thanks!

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-17-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: correction of statement
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,117 Likes on 6,190 Posts

You can get the coverage cheaper through Dennis Fichtner (contact forum member CeYaBye). Supporting vendor. Warranty is transferable and can be cancelled any time for a pro-rata refund.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Here's a link to a post dealing with my recent tire experience:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...fing-nail.html

I paid $819.00 for 4 years of coverage. Tire came in this past Wednesday. Total bill was for $503.00, I paid $0.00. So if something like this happens again in the next 3 years and 10 months, the $819.00 was well spent. If not, it's just like any other insurance policy, "they" will come out ahead.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim422

PM Just sent to you.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Jim422
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 388 Posts

Discount tire will sell you a road hazard warranty on any tires that have low miles on them even if not purchased from Discount. It won't cover wheels but is way less expensive.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a set of take off rims from a guy who bought some custom wheels. Paid a $1000 for all four. They have been sitting in my spare bedroom for over 10 years. Never needed them.

Don't waste your money. on the dealer add ons. undercoating, paint protection, tire and wheel, it just goes on and on...

its a dealer profit engine

Good thing, is that I can get my money back, if I ever sell the rims. Brand new, vintage wheels.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
Discount tire will sell you a road hazard warranty on any tires that have low miles on them even if not purchased from Discount. It won't cover wheels but is way less expensive.
Good thread. I just called Discount Tire and they quoted me a price for the base C7s tires of $253 for all 4. Warranty lasts as long as you have 3/32” or more of tread. I think I’ll get that one. Don
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 PM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default tire, rim warranty

Originally Posted by Modshack
Read it CAREFULLY. It's not through GM, but an aftermarket product that may or may not be worth it. Understand the mark-up on these packages is 100%++
That sounds awfully high...
The warranty cost my dealership $195 for 5 years ( I asked my finance director 2 days ago ) The mark up is off the chart. I'm getting it at cost.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:06 PM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default dealer add ons

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
I purchased a set of take off rims from a guy who bought some custom wheels. Paid a $1000 for all four. They have been sitting in my spare bedroom for over 10 years. Never needed them.

Don't waste your money. on the dealer add ons. undercoating, paint protection, tire and wheel, it just goes on and on...

its a dealer profit engine

Good thing, is that I can get my money back, if I ever sell the rims. Brand new, vintage wheels.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 PM
drace99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default curb scraped wheel

This morning I can't believe I did it!!! I accidentally parked to close to a curb, when I pulled out of the space I scraped the passenger wheel big time!!! I have the wheel protection, so hopefully I will get a new wheel...I will let you know how it goes!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default wheel/ tire

Originally Posted by drace99
This morning I can't believe I did it!!! I accidentally parked to close to a curb, when I pulled out of the space I scraped the passenger wheel big time!!! I have the wheel protection, so hopefully I will get a new wheel...I will let you know how it goes!
It's not going to happen. What they do cover is structural damage, ( bent rim ) to the rim not cosmetic. The rim must be bent. a scrapping of the chrome will just get you pissed, it's not covered. How do I know. I work at a high volume Chevy dealer, and just asked the finance manager who sells the wheel/ tire warranty and he said NO. It must be structural damage, good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire and Rim Protection Package

Old 06-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Hi Mike, that's correct. I looked into it as well as one of my retirements is from the retail end of the business. Another way to explain it is "it's called Road Hazard for a reason. Taking it from the back page of the contract; Road Hazard is defined as debris on the road surface or road surface conditions such as potholes, cracks and breaks." And the wheel has to be damaged in connection with a tire repair (such as hitting a road hazard and damaging both). I've done that in the past so it happens. Also there's two plans, the Standard with a $200 per occurrence benefit with $1200 lifetime benefit and the Deluxe (which I have) with no per occurrence limit for each tire and wheel and a $5000 lifetime benefit. The actual warranty company is FIdelity Warranty Services, inc. the same one Lexus uses. They had no qualms replacing my L/R Z51 tire when I took it in to the dealer. It's 5 years/unlimited mileage. If I get just one more claim I'm ahead of the game. Contrary to what I may have said in an earlier post, I read on the contract it's called a warranty and not an insurance policy which seems strange but that's what it say's.
Originally Posted by mikebq
It's not going to happen. What they do cover is structural damage, ( bent rim ) to the rim not cosmetic. The rim must be bent. a scrapping of the chrome will just get you pissed, it's not covered. How do I know. I work at a high volume Chevy dealer, and just asked the finance manager who sells the wheel/ tire warranty and he said NO. It must be structural damage, good luck.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-17-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:49 PM
drace99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default going thursday

I am going thursday, I will let you know what they say, I do think the damage is pretty bad though.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:50 PM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default wheel

Originally Posted by drace99
I am going thursday, I will let you know what they say, I do think the damage is pretty bad though.
Good luck ... let us know, hope they give you a new one....

Quick Reply: Tire and Rim Protection Package