Sponsored by:

No front plate.....need advice......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No front plate.....need advice......

For those of you that refuse to have a front license plate how many warnings and actual tickets have you gotten???? I don't have my C7 yet but Iam at 3300 status so it won't be too much longer. I really don't want a front plate as I really think it distracts from the beauty of the car. What kind of a story have you given the Trooper to talk him out of giving you an actual ticket???? Hope to hear from you guys with experience here.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Well.. IMHO... anything that can be done to hide the front grille is not a bad thing.

That being said, it depends on your state. Here in Oregon, I drove my C6 for 6 years with no front plate (had it on the passenger side dash) and never had a problem

YMMV of course.....
Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

No Stories got a ticket in the mail and now have a 7 year surcharge on my insurance - I fought it a bit more and got a warning in the mail - now I said its time to put the dam thing on and I advise you do the same thing - just a matter of time and it will bite you that's for sure - this was my c6 - the c7 is a lot better to deal with.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I run a front plate. Whenever I am pulled over by a TX Trooper (on the expressways South of Ft. Worth it happens a LOT on football weekends) the first thing they do is walk around the front to check for a plate. They almost always look surprised when they find one. I have never gotten a ticket from them, only a warning (for all the other things they said I did.) Really they are usually fishing for DUIs coming back from the TX or TAMU football games. No plate just gives them another reason to pull you over...
I've had a plate on since my C5 days I'm used to seeing one and it no longer bothers me.
And I have yet had anyone ask why I have that ugly plate on my car.

Another thing I've noticed since the fine went up to $200 in TX, there are very many fewer cars on the road with no front plate. It used to be 3 cars out of ten missing the plate. Now it is one car out of 50 or so. So if you are missing that plate you are in the minority and just asking for a visit from your friendly LEO.

Last edited by BigJoe; 03-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Ran 6 years with my C6 with no front plate and not a single problem. Car was Lemans Blue in color - subtle and not that bold. NOW I have Torch Red - night and day difference in "Look at Me" factor. I will start the season with no front plate and see how it goes. I anticipate I will need to put it on ultimately - I will use the "aero panel" and not the actual plate holder if it comes to that.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
For those of you that refuse to have a front license plate how many warnings and actual tickets have you gotten???? I don't have my C7 yet but Iam at 3300 status so it won't be too much longer. I really don't want a front plate as I really think it distracts from the beauty of the car. What kind of a story have you given the Trooper to talk him out of giving you an actual ticket???? Hope to hear from you guys with experience here.
Speaking for myself, I just decided not to tempt fate over not having a Front Plate. The Bracket for the Aero Plate works great for mounting one and it doesn't look "stuck on" like it did on previous versions of Corvettes.

Never ran a Plate on my C4, but that was the good old days when you only got a "fix-it" Ticket if they pulled you over for it. Now it's a whole different Ball Game. The Politicos love the Money that those Moving Violations bring in and the Police are now a source of that Revenue.

Good luck thinking up a good story. How about "the dog ate it"?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
...... Whenever I am pulled over by a TX Trooper (on the expressways South of Ft. Worth it happens a LOT on football weekends) the first thing they do is walk around the front to check for a plate. .................
If you drive where you are likely to encounter Texas DPS, then you will be an "opportunity for public contact" with no front plate. They will stop you for no other reason than that. I have too many friends that have gotten DPS stops for warnings/citations for no other reason. I have never been stopped for no front plate but then again I don't venture out into the hitherlands where DPS prowls. If I do, I will attach my Top Flight Repro plate holder.

Last edited by GOLD72; 03-11-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,150 Posts

All depends on what your state laws are. Here in Ohio no big deal. Talk to someone in a local car club or go to your DMV and see what the consequenses are.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in California which is a front plate state. In my 7 consecutive years of owning a Corvette without a front plate, I've only received one ticket for it and that was in addition to speeding. Out here it's a fix it ticket. I double sided taped the front plate on my car, went to the police station for an inspection. They aimed a camera at my car from behind their desk to verify the front plate was on it and signed off on the ticket. I think it was a $50 fine but no points. As such, I have no plan on running a front plate unless they really tighten things up out here. I've passed many a LEO and never once been pulled over just for that. With the C7 having that new easy to remove plate mount, passing an inspection if I need to will be very easy.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:54 PM
skipper972
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove my C6 VY Z06 for 4 years here in VA with no ticket and my wife's 02 Lexus SC 430 has no front plate and she hasn't been ticketed either. When my C7 arrives, I have no plan to install a front plate. It's always been worth it to me to take the chance and pay the fine if I get ticketed.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
No Stories got a ticket in the mail and now have a 7 year surcharge on my insurance - I fought it a bit more and got a warning in the mail - now I said its time to put the dam thing on and I advise you do the same thing - just a matter of time and it will bite you that's for sure - this was my c6 - the c7 is a lot better to deal with.
I find THAT very hard to believe. I have never heard of a "7 year surcharge" on any auto insurance for a traffic violation, or even after a major accident. And secondly, No Front Plate is not a moving violation and that would never influence your insurance rate. If this is true, you need to find another insurance company because you're getting royally screwed by whatever it is you're using.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Ran 6 years with my C6 with no front plate and not a single problem. Car was Lemans Blue in color - subtle and not that bold. NOW I have Torch Red - night and day difference in "Look at Me" factor. I will start the season with no front plate and see how it goes. I anticipate I will need to put it on ultimately - I will use the "aero panel" and not the actual plate holder if it comes to that.
Whats an "aero panel"???? Do you have a photo???
Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Speed Lingerie bra for my C6 with a removable license plate holder. I use it when I go on trips. If I drive into a state that doesn't require a front plate I can take it off and leave the bra on.

I leave the bra and plate off when driving around town. The locals don't seem to worry about it. The highway patrol will definitely stop you for no plate in TX.

With that said, I'm thinking about getting a clear bra on the C6 and a removable plate bracket. When going on a trip I'll install the front plate.

I need to see if they have a removable front plate bracket for the C7 yet. Mine is on order. I am going to get Xpel put on it.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
Whats an "aero panel"???? Do you have a photo???
Lots of info here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...with-pics.html

This is what I did and it doesn't look too bad. Great compared to the "legal" plate holder Chevy supplies.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

In Texas for me it's not worth it. Even all of my 911's I put it on--catch crap from friends, but could careless.

WHY give them any excuse to pull you over. That's the easiest one for them to see.

Have one drink (not DWI of course) and drive home without a plate, get pulled over because of that, and all of a sudden you are into the "have you had anything to drink" questions. NOT WORTH IT.

The C7 begs to be pulled over, so for me, driving without a plate is almost a guarantee you'll be pulled over. Especially by smaller suburb towns around Austin and FOR SURE by TX DPS.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

I know its a moving violation in Massachussetts as my insurance has gone up and the state sets the surchagre rate not the insurance co as I just confirmed this. So have fun worrying about this everytime you drive down the road - its not worth it - at lease in my lousy state. Anyone heard the term TAXASSACHUSSETTS

Oh by the way read the last line "suspension of driving privileges"
You really want to push it that far - 1 ticket ok then you better re-think your plan

Violations can occur if the plates are improperly mounted or if the registration is expired.

If you have violated license plate laws, it will usually result in a traffic ticket. Violations of license plate provisions are usually considered as “fix-it” tickets. This means that the driver will usually be let free without any fees, etc., on the condition that they fix the license plate in a timely manner. Fix-it citations usually mean that the person can complete their drive to their home, work, or a mechanic, though this may vary by state.

Besides a traffic ticket, a violation of a license plate provision can sometimes be accompanied by a fine, usually from $100-$200. Repeat offenses can lead to more serious consequences such as increased fines or suspension of driving privileges.

Last edited by rsvette12; 03-11-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just move to Florida...no State tax and no stinkin front plate!

Get notified of new replies

To No front plate.....need advice......

Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

"Just move to Florida...no State tax and no stinkin front plate! "

lol Just mentioned that to a co-worker you lucky Bas#$d

Well said ATX

Last edited by rsvette12; 03-11-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

What is this front plate thing you speak of?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

LOL JAZZ

Quick Reply: No front plate.....need advice......