Sponsored by:

No front plate.....need advice......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
I know its a moving violation in Massachussetts as my insurance has gone up and the state sets the surchagre rate not the insurance co as I just confirmed this. So have fun worrying about this everytime you drive down the road - its not worth it - at lease in my lousy state. Anyone heard the term TAXASSACHUSSETTS

Oh by the way read the last line "suspension of driving privileges"
You really want to push it that far - 1 ticket ok then you better re-think your plan

Violations can occur if the plates are improperly mounted or if the registration is expired.

If you have violated license plate laws, it will usually result in a traffic ticket. Violations of license plate provisions are usually considered as “fix-it” tickets. This means that the driver will usually be let free without any fees, etc., on the condition that they fix the license plate in a timely manner. Fix-it citations usually mean that the person can complete their drive to their home, work, or a mechanic, though this may vary by state.

Besides a traffic ticket, a violation of a license plate provision can sometimes be accompanied by a fine, usually from $100-$200. Repeat offenses can lead to more serious consequences such as increased fines or suspension of driving privileges.
That's very odd. A moving violation in the FREE American States is defined as a violation that occurs because of vehicle "movement". If you can be ticketed while stationary, it is, by definition "a non-moving citation". A parked car without a license plate could also be ticketed for not having a license plate. So how can that be a MOVING violation? And any insurance company that spins that into a moving violation should be "fired" immediately.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

"And any insurance company that spins that into a moving violation should be "fired" immediately. "

Its not the Insurance Company its the state that mandates what is a violation which should have a surcharge connected to it, an out of date inspection sticker here is also surcharge if the officer decides to give you a ticket, they get you coming and going in Our lovely state

Last edited by rsvette12; 03-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I always use a front plate, why give LEO an excuse to pull you over. In NY you'll get a ticket while parked. I like the new aero mount, looks good to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
I always use a front plate, why give LEO an excuse to pull you over. In NY you'll get a ticket while parked. I like the new aero mount, looks good to me.

There really isn't any reason to not run a front plate on the C7. The car is designed for installation of a front plate. If people don't have a plate they will have the plate mount installed anyways as the car looks sharp with them installed. Even the ugly orange NY State plates don't look that bad. Only reason to remove the mount is when you go to the track and need increased cooling.

Bill
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

"In NY you'll get a ticket while parked"

Incredible George its crazy these days

FYI I live in the suburbs south of Boston never had a problem with one plate the ticket and warning was in city the Boston where I work and both tickets were sent to me never even got pulled over pisses me off, Insurance agent said I should have fought it as it is a surcharge - unbelievable
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Len in Maryland
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a call today that my C7 is on a truck to Maryland. Went to the Dealer to get all the paperwork out of the way and was informed that Maryland no longer requires a front plate. Great news for Marylanders.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

When I lived in Washington, DC, I received while parked a ticket for failure to mount my front tag. It was not a moving violation, but was a $50 fine. If failure to mount your front tag is a moving violation in your state, that you may conclude that your state is really serious about that front tag.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I run a front plate. Whenever I am pulled over by a TX Trooper (on the expressways South of Ft. Worth it happens a LOT on football weekends) the first thing they do is walk around the front to check for a plate. They almost always look surprised when they find one. I have never gotten a ticket from them, only a warning (for all the other things they said I did.) Really they are usually fishing for DUIs coming back from the TX or TAMU football games. No plate just gives them another reason to pull you over...
I've had a plate on since my C5 days I'm used to seeing one and it no longer bothers me.
And I have yet had anyone ask why I have that ugly plate on my car.

Another thing I've noticed since the fine went up to $200 in TX, there are very many fewer cars on the road with no front plate. It used to be 3 cars out of ten missing the plate. Now it is one car out of 50 or so. So if you are missing that plate you are in the minority and just asking for a visit from your friendly LEO.
Police officers often look for things that they can pull you over for and if you are driving a sports car like the Corvette, (and they see you without a front license plate) more likely than not, you will be pulled over!!!How do I know this, when I worked as a ADA in Tx, my law enforcement officer friends told me that they always look to see if the license plate is on the front of sports car.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Lots of info here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...with-pics.html

This is what I did and it doesn't look too bad. Great compared to the "legal" plate holder Chevy supplies.
Where do you get the aero panel?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I think that both plate holders come with the car.
You may have to order one of them, but here in Texas, all the cars I have looked at came with both in the trunk.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You may have to order one of them, but here in Texas, all the cars I have looked at came with both in the trunk.
IF you live in a state that requires a front plate both plate holders will be included.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver Down
Where do you get the aero panel?
They are supposed to come with the car...if not, try GMpartsdirect...
theirs is painted/looks like cf, unlike the one tat comes with the car...
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee

btw, nice job detailing the car, especially in that weather!
betchya didn't drive it anywhere but into the garage after you snapped that pic tho!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both the C7 plate bracket and aero plate are removed easily for car shows, where beauty gets you points. But I run my front plate when on the streets of Texas to avoid negative points. And like another poster said, no one has complained about the beauty with my plate on, just tons of gawkers, thumbs up, and droolers.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
"Just move to Florida...no State tax and no stinkin front plate! "

lol Just mentioned that to a co-worker you lucky Bas#$d

Well said ATX
Ah, Florida. The 80's State.
Average temperature: 80
Average age: 80
Average IQ: 80

Last edited by Stingray Sam; 03-12-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In New York City they have high tech police cars that can read the license plates in both directions front/rear and you'll get a ticket for no front plate. Progress sucks, but sooner or later every state will be using these cars to assist in law enforcement.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I am in upstate NY. I drive my C6 over 3 years here and have never been approached about my missing front plate. I am sure it has been noticed but I have never been challenged. I intend to run my C7 without a plate also. I must say though, the prospect of using the new front plate mount on the C7 is a more pleasant prospect than the options for my C6. We'll see how it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To No front plate.....need advice......

Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
That will only be true in Texas if you order from a Texas dealer because the dealer will by law order the option for the front plate holder. I have bought from out of state three times for NCM delivery and the cars never came with the front plate holder because I didn't include that on the options list I gave the ordering dealer. Also true of my son's 08 coupe ordered from LS Dearborn but courtesy delivered in Houston.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by metal
Just move to Florida...no State tax and no stinkin front plate!
Yup...the one thing I miss about FL. I've been in TX a little less than 3 yrs and have rec'd 4 tickets (3 warnings)for no front plate. It is now a $200 fine and strictly enforced. We also are required to sport ugly a$$ inspection/registration stickers on the windshield...still love it here tho (compared to FL)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Quick Reply: No front plate.....need advice......