Sponsored by:

Z51 Rear End Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by drtonyprimo
I'm sure I'll get negative feedback but what else is new with this Forum .......BUT....... this WILL be on the CARFAX! I know myself......if I see ANYTHING like this on a CARFAX.....I'm moving on! Why buy one that has this service already performed when their will be sooooo many others that had only routine maintenance!

Does anyone even think about this????

I gurantee this OP will when he goes to sell it someday!
Will Orange Peel show up?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better yet when will the recalls begin? I guess it will take a rear to lock up at speed for them to do something about it.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:29 PM
pookie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my thread on my read end drama. Once replaced I've had 700 trouble free miles so far. Good luck
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-her-home.html
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 PM
jjmoohr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news! Just heard from the dealer, Dellio Chevrolet, Huntington Beach, CA, that GM has authorized them to replace the complete rear end with a new one. The work should be done by Monday. Good to know GM stands behind their product.

JJM
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
If it's warranty it will not be on car fax....
Oh come on, Glen...there you go again with facts....right when the assembled CF faithful were going to storm the GM castle and DEMAND a new car for the OP.

Party pooper.

Jimmy
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Oh come on, Glen...there you go again with facts....right when the assembled CF faithful were going to storm the GM castle and DEMAND a new car for the OP.

Party pooper.

Jimmy

OP... congrats on a resolution. GM is responding well to the issue in terms of getting things fixed. That costs them money. That, therefore, motivates them to ensure future cars do NOT have this issue because it is way cheaper to get it right from the factory than after. Good news for you and good news for future owners
Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmoohr
Good news! Just heard from the dealer, Dellio Chevrolet, Huntington Beach, CA, that GM has authorized them to replace the complete rear end with a new one. The work should be done by Monday. Good to know GM stands behind their product.

JJM

That is good news.

Pretty simple swap. You'll be back in business in short order.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I seem to recall looking at a carfax for another brand of car and seeing in the comment section that there was some warranty work done to the car. Also, for those who know about it, the free IVH report will list warranty work, and that report is free and widely available at all gm dealers.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I seem to recall looking at a carfax for another brand of car and seeing in the comment section that there was some warranty work done to the car. Also, for those who know about it, the free IVH report will list warranty work, and that report is free and widely available at all gm dealers.

SOME dealers will report work to Carfax. Even maintenance sometimes.
When buying a used car, call a dealer and ask for the history report. It will show you all warranty work.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 PM
zzzzzap
4th Gear

Default rear end issue, too

I've got just 210 miles on my new Z51. When the car is cold the rear end feels like its coming apart when making a turn such as leaving the driveway. It violently shudders until it warms up a bit. It's like a slip/grab/slip/grab kind of feel.Taking it back to the dealer this week.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzzap
I've got just 210 miles on my new Z51. When the car is cold the rear end feels like its coming apart when making a turn such as leaving the driveway. It violently shudders until it warms up a bit. It's like a slip/grab/slip/grab kind of feel.Taking it back to the dealer this week.
This sounds like the normal tire scrub when making tight turns .....it is really apparent when the tires are cold...this does not sound like a rear end issue...
Old 11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
No Shot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzzap
I don't think that's your rear...it's your tire chatter b/c of the cold and the summer tires/suspension. There are a million posts on here about that. And it's not just Vettes; had same thing on my Porsche until I put on all weather sneakers.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by tonybsr
this rear end problem is causing a lot of problems. I was traveling when mines went bad. pulled over to make sure I didnt have a leak, trucks cam by and threw rocks and cracked my windshield.
That really sucks. Sorry to hear about this.

I hope you luck improves.

Michael
Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmoohr

JJM
That rear end is going back to the lab for disassembly and inspection. The engineering team will determine the cause of the impending failure. With the amount of rear end problems that we hear about on the forum, I would expect a service bulletin/ recall in the future. Have these rear end problems only been on cars with the Z51 package?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
If it's warranty it will not be on car fax....
Really? That's good to know.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Sorry to hear of your dilemna JJM, what a stone cold bummer to have this happen while driving it home from the plant. Are you stuck in Texas? The amount of problems on this car have become so regular they should make the factory a sitcom.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Premmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry/car
That rear end is going back to the lab for disassembly and inspection. The engineering team will determine the cause of the impending failure. With the amount of rear end problems that we hear about on the forum, I would expect a service bulletin/ recall in the future. Have these rear end problems only been on cars with the Z51 package?
If the differential issue is on Z51 option only might this delay removal of the constraint?

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Rear End Problem

Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Premmer
If the differential issue is on Z51 option only might this delay removal of the constraint?
Honestly I think this is why there is a constraint in the first place. The fewer they make the fewer will fail. I think they are trying different fixes while still building a very limited number of units. A huge recall on a very popular option or worse them having to pull the Z51 all together would really really spoil PR on the baby Jesus if you know what I mean. Once public record of the defect is out not only will it damage the cars reputation they will forfeit thousands of orders for cars and not meet there target sales goals by the end of the year and that will make the car look like a failure..

Last edited by Red Lightening; 12-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I wonder what the actual failure rate percentage is. Another thing, how many that currently are operating satisfactory will fail. Like I have said in the past, machinery can be tested by the manufacturer and no defects will develop, the real test is by the consumer. I hope the fix is already in the works.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if they fail when new, I wonder how they will be doing in 3 or 4 years....

yikes

Quick Reply: Z51 Rear End Problem