John Fitzpatric Interview

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Michael A
Remember, we're talking a Chevy dealer here.

I remember a story a friend of mine told me while he worked as a parts manager at an Olds dealership. A mechanic came in and announced, "I need a set of plugs for a 350 Diesel".

Michael

Well, perhaps I am a bit naive but I have actually some faith in their training.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,935 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Of course, because those of us who want an automatic in a Corvette aren't "real enthusiasts", despite the fact that many of us actually drag and road race various other cars.

You do race your car, right?
S.
Well, maybe they'll come out with a drag race version for you guys with a Powerglide, tubs, and 155 fronts.

Michael
Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,460 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Well, perhaps I am a bit naive but I have actually some faith in their training.
I do as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sin City
Like anything, there are competent dealers and techs, and some not. I just feel there is more oversight and control at the plant, than at the dealer level. If they can do all their checks at the plant, and have the dealer focus more on shipping damage, I think the end result would be better.

Michael
Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Well, maybe they'll come out with a drag race version for you guys with a Powerglide, tubs, and 155 fronts.

Michael
Cool. But I actually put my cars on a road course too.
I mean, you do a pretty good job of mocking people for buying an automatic (as you have me), but have you ever actually tracked your car?
S.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Of course, because those of us who want an automatic in a Corvette aren't "real enthusiasts", despite the fact that many of us actually drag and road race various other cars. You do race your car, right?
S.

Ah, love it!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Cool. But I actually put my cars on a road course too.
I mean, you do a pretty good job of mocking people for buying an automatic (as you have me), but have you ever actually tracked your car?
S.
I'm not mocking anyone getting the automatic. I just think if GM is going to market something as their "ultimate performance" model, then it should be their "ultimate performance" model, which, so far lately, they have done a very good job of, with the Z06, ZR1, Z28.

I drove a Camaro SS recently with a 6 speed automatic, and was quite impressed actually. It did a good job of rev matching.

Michael
Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not mocking anyone getting the automatic. I just think if GM is going to market something as their "ultimate performance" model, then it should be their "ultimate performance" model, which, so far lately, they have done a very good job of, with the Z06, ZR1, Z28.

I drove a Camaro SS recently with a 6 speed automatic, and was quite impressed actually. It did a good job of rev matching.

Michael
No, you did. You even went so far as to insult me for buying an automatic so that my wife could enjoy the car too, calling me "lazy" and my choice a "cop out". Meanwhile, I'll bet $100 you can't even execute a proper heel-toe downshift.
I see people post this, and it is a total cop out. If I can teach my 50+ year old mother to drive a 6 speed manual, I'm sure you could teach your wife to drive one. It's really not that hard.

People should just be honest and admit they are lazy, both about shifting and teaching.

Michael
I would suggest that until you actually get out on a track (and either drag race or road course your car), you're just as "lazy" as those of us you mock for wanting an automatic.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ar-old-c5.html

I'm guessing you never made it to a track (of any kind).
S.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow...is there any post that actually doesn't degrade like this??
Come on guys...it's time to kiss and make up before you get this thread locked.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Always a pissing contest on CF...I think some guys need a tape measure and they think a corvette helps them in that dept.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Always a pissing contest on CF...I think some guys need a tape measure and they think a corvette helps them in that dept.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

No, you did. You even went so far as to insult me for buying an automatic so that my wife could enjoy the car too, calling me "lazy" and my choice a "cop out". Meanwhile, I'll bet $100 you can't even execute a proper heel-toe downshift.

I would suggest that until you actually get out on a track (and either drag race or road course your car), you're just as "lazy" as those of us you mock for wanting an automatic.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ar-old-c5.html

I'm guessing you never made it to a track (of any kind).
S.
I'll let you keep your $100. Been heel and toeing for many, many years. Been on the track, too, lots of them.

I've learned my lesson on this forum. You don't have to worry about me insulting you, again, because I won't see your posts (flagged ignore).

Michael
Old 09-23-2013, 01:29 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll let you keep your $100. Been heel and toeing for many, many years. Been on the track, too, lots of them.

I've learned my lesson on this forum. You don't have to worry about me insulting you, again, because I won't see your posts (flagged ignore).

Michael
I doubt all of this, especially the "lots of them" comment considering you were asking about possibility of tracking your C5 just a few months ago (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ar-old-c5.html) after asking a few months before that (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...track-day.html). Maybe some day you'll step up and take your car to the track.

In any case, goodbye Michael. Perhaps this can be a lesson that when you insult people for no good reason it might come back to haunt you in the future.
S.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

I doubt all of this, especially the "lots of them" comment considering you were asking about possibility of tracking your C5 just a few months ago (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ar-old-c5.html) after asking a few months before that (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...track-day.html). Maybe some day you'll step up and take your car to the track.

In any case, goodbye Michael. Perhaps this can be a lesson that when you insult people for no good reason it might come back to haunt you in the future.
S.
Michael A is just another to ignore. I don't mean put on ignore list. I mean don't respond to anything he has to say. No matter how easy it is to shoot holes in his statement. IGNORE!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 AM
pgway
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The piece was just a bunch of Marketing FLUFF!
It is clear that Fitzpatrick is completely out of the loop - should have interviewed a Senior Program Manager!
Fitzpatrick still beleives that you can "inspect" quality into a product - that's 50's thinking!
Why would you amass over 1,000 units before you start an in process quality check? I dsoubt that is in their ISO manual.
He acknoledges problems with the tracking system, yet in over 3 months still has not resolved a simple software issue!
Putting covers on the cars, loading on transports, shipping off site to Nashville, unloading, uncovering to do a quality check, recovering, reloading on transports and finally shipping off to dealers. Now that should put a LOT of unnecessary wear and tear on the vehicles!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 974 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by pgway
The piece was just a bunch of Marketing FLUFF!
It is clear that Fitzpatrick is completely out of the loop - should have interviewed a Senior Program Manager!
Fitzpatrick still beleives that you can "inspect" quality into a product - that's 50's thinking!
Why would you amass over 1,000 units before you start an in process quality check? I dsoubt that is in their ISO manual.
He acknoledges problems with the tracking system, yet in over 3 months still has not resolved a simple software issue!
Putting covers on the cars, loading on transports, shipping off site to Nashville, unloading, uncovering to do a quality check, recovering, reloading on transports and finally shipping off to dealers. Now that should put a LOT of unnecessary wear and tear on the vehicles!
thank you - other than some interesting stats, I did not think he said much...but VP's never do publicly...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 AM
b4z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my view on the quality assessment. It doesn't say they are fixing problems they find. I think they are evaluating the cars then sending the info back to the factory to make sure they don't happen anmore or get fixed before the car leaves.
I'm thinking any problems they find in Nashville will get passed down to the dealer or customer.

Get notified of new replies

To John Fitzpatric Interview

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Desmtg
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts

They say it is to expite the process. I think it is because the the lot in BG is full.
They could stop production until cars get shipped or find another place to store cars.
Some cars have been built almost 4 weeks and 500+ have been buil more than 2 weeks.
If you have a real quality problem tell us what it is! If it is really just a quality check why does it take so L O N G!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

They claim that all cars are being subjected to some type of quality check after being pulled out of the factory that is delaying when they are shipped. This does not hold water when you see that some cars were shipped only a couple days after being built, while others have been sitting for over 3 weeks.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

No one is pissed about the premier luggage editions starting. That was just plain wrong with so many waiting on the CF roofs. I knew they would slip them back in. My car was built last week # 1530 but now a damn premier edition make take its place on the trailer heading to OH. This sucks GM

Quick Reply: John Fitzpatric Interview