Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Do You Guys Think About Tracking a 13 Year Old C5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Default What Do You Guys Think About Tracking a 13 Year Old C5?

I am on the fence about tracking my 2000 C7 with 70,000 miles, or buying a new Camaro SS for the purpose. I can't believe it's 13 years old already. New seems like it would be a little safer from a part failure standpoint, including part failure leading to a crash, which I certainly want to avoid (from an injury and a financial hardship standpoint). I realize people track 50 year old cars in vintage races, but people also jump out of airplanes, so I don't know if that is such a great gauge.

I thought I would get some input from you guys.

Michael
Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

My Z06 has 112,000 on it and I don't hesitate to beat on it, track, stripor otherwise. Still holding up as good as new, even with being modded.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 AM
superjet701k
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would mine has 101k and it tight an quiet
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not buy a track ready C5Z at the fraction of the cost to build it and probably even cheaper than a new Camaro SS?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-for-sale.html

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Many members only start to track their C5 when it gets over 100 K
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Trefin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Michael A
I am on the fence about tracking my 2000 C7 with 70,000 miles, or buying a new Camaro SS for the purpose. I can't believe it's 13 years old already. New seems like it would be a little safer from a part failure standpoint, including part failure leading to a crash, which I certainly want to avoid (from an injury and a financial hardship standpoint). I realize people track 50 year old cars in vintage races, but people also jump out of airplanes, so I don't know if that is such a great gauge.

I thought I would get some input from you guys.

Michael
The Camaro is going to cost you WAY more money to even touch the track performance of the Corvette, the Camaro was never meant to be a true track car like the Corvette was. So for the money and performance my vote is stick with the vette' and track it! My 99' is at 130k, still running strong and I won't hesitate to take it to the track after changing out the fluids and throwing on some slicks!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Trefin
The Camaro is going to cost you WAY more money to even touch the track performance of the Corvette, the Camaro was never meant to be a true track car like the Corvette was. So for the money and performance my vote is stick with the vette' and track it! My 99' is at 130k, still running strong and I won't hesitate to take it to the track after changing out the fluids and throwing on some slicks!!
What expense do you think I would have with the Camaro with the 1LE package vs. the C5? I thought the 1LE was suppose to make the car suitable for the track.

Michael
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Trefin
Advanced

The 1LE package is suitable yes, but the camaro just isn't designed to be a track car like the corvette. If you went and bought a new 1LE (I would think the price would but in the mid 40's for one) then you would be set back about $43000 or so. And then you would most likely need to dump more cash into it depending on how serious you are about your track experience. If it were me I would save the cash and invest in a set of slicks, lightweight wheels, and a pair of either fixed racing seats or more of a sport seat which could be suitable for street or track (I like sparco but there are many other brands). All in all I think the corvette will save you a lot more money than by going with the other option and be MUCH more enjoyable of a track car, I smile every time I drive my stock c5. It's a whole different animal on the track than my friends 2011 ss camaro.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just started tracking my 02 coupe. It feels much more at home on the track than on the street. The Camaro is a lot less suited for the road course. It weighs a lot more, has a much higher center of gravity, and a lot more of its weight lies over the front wheels. It will eat brakes, tires, and fuel a lot faster as a result, and you will be going slower.

IMO the C5 is the best track car for the money right now. Check out this video I made from a track day at Buttonwillow last weekend. The most fun I've ever had in a car.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking to track a car only, or track a car that you can still drive on the street? The camaro will be fine for the track stock. But there are dedicated track cars like mine that have everything you need to do tack stuff without breaking the bank. To buy and build what I have in mine, it would be over $50k easy. I'm selling it for $23k and that is a steal. It already has oil coolers, transmission cooler, racing bucket seat, adjustable coilovers, and a SCCA/NASA approved cage. Its the best/fastest car I've ever owned and will hold its own with most cars on the track.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take my 99 down the drag strip all the time, its my daily driver too
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Just started tracking my 02 coupe. It feels much more at home on the track than on the street. The Camaro is a lot less suited for the road course. It weighs a lot more, has a much higher center of gravity, and a lot more of its weight lies over the front wheels. It will eat brakes, tires, and fuel a lot faster as a result, and you will be going slower.

IMO the C5 is the best track car for the money right now. Check out this video I made from a track day at Buttonwillow last weekend. The most fun I've ever had in a car.
That does look like a real hoot there. Nice track for playing on without all the obstacles to get into. I don't think there's anything even close to that around here. That'd be really cool to be able to push the car till you stuck it in the weeds with only a slight chance of damage. The idea of sticking a car in a wall makes me nervous. Fact is, I don't think there's any road course within 100 miles of me. Armpit of PA...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
Are you looking to track a car only, or track a car that you can still drive on the street? The camaro will be fine for the track stock.
Actually I just need a daily driver that I can take to the track on occasion. I'm not out to prove anything - just have fun, learn something, and "drive my own race".

Looks fun, SoDiezl350!

Michael
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
That does look like a real hoot there. Nice track for playing on without all the obstacles to get into. I don't think there's anything even close to that around here. That'd be really cool to be able to push the car till you stuck it in the weeds with only a slight chance of damage. The idea of sticking a car in a wall makes me nervous. Fact is, I don't think there's any road course within 100 miles of me. Armpit of PA...
Aren't you not too far from Pocono Speedway? There are track events there all driving season long.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
crazystevex
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had my 2000 on drag strips, auto cross tracks and this year I'll hit full road coarses with it.

Corvette's were made for this!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Or this.........

Not a purposely built track car, but close enough to allow personal flexibility with the right amount of HP/TQ to have fun at the drags and Top Speed as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...2-000-obo.html
Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by striper
Aren't you not too far from Pocono Speedway? There are track events there all driving season long.
I stand corrected. 99.1 miles! Lol.

It's quite a trek from where I'm at. But, don't they have just the tri-oval? I mean, is there a road course to be driven? Cause, hitting top speed on a 2.5mi oval isn't my idea of fun. Ok, once, but after that, I'd rather drive the car. While a little more distance, I'd probably rather hit Watkins Glen, or something similar.

Fact is, since I have a Vert, I'm not so certain tracking is a good idea for me. I'm not going to stick in a rollbar, so short of getting rid of the car and getting something else, I'm probably not going to be able to do this sort of stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To What Do You Guys Think About Tracking a 13 Year Old C5?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
GySgt1811
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '99 Maggie Red 6spd, 63K miles

Daily Driver, driven to the track (Putnam Park near Indy) and back.

'Nuff said?

Enjoy your track day.

Gunny John

PS. You probably will break something. All part of the fun.
PPS. "Lilith" is stock and I had no idea how well balanced and capable a Corvette is on a road race course! At first I was ending the pit straight at 100 mph and entering the first turn at 55. By the end of the second day I was 135 at the end of the pit straight, stabbing the brakes at the 100 foot marker and shooting into the turn-one apex at over 75 mph. The car was just yawning the whole time! What a machine!!! (However, Subaru's, Miata's and the FedEx man all lapped me. I got a lot of learning to do!!) J.

Last edited by GySgt1811; 02-01-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
maroman88
Pro

my 99 with 93k on it sees the track atleast 3-4 times a season, drive it like its meant to be driven
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I stand corrected. 99.1 miles! Lol.

It's quite a trek from where I'm at. But, don't they have just the tri-oval? I mean, is there a road course to be driven? Cause, hitting top speed on a 2.5mi oval isn't my idea of fun. Ok, once, but after that, I'd rather drive the car. While a little more distance, I'd probably rather hit Watkins Glen, or something similar.

Fact is, since I have a Vert, I'm not so certain tracking is a good idea for me. I'm not going to stick in a rollbar, so short of getting rid of the car and getting something else, I'm probably not going to be able to do this sort of stuff.
They have some infield roadway and actually can set it up for 3 road course variations. They do events fairly frequently. I did an HPDE there when they used much of the tri-oval and the infield. Great fun and got over 130 in my C4. I hope to get my Z there someday.

Quick Reply: What Do You Guys Think About Tracking a 13 Year Old C5?