C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will you paint the rear diffuser?
Leave it as-is
73.36%
Paint it to match body color
21.83%
My car is already black, so this does not apply to me
4.80%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Who is painting the rear diffuser to match the body color

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:36 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Got a link?
Post 38 in the thread....Minor Change would end C7 rear debate.(now locked)

Not sure how true it is but we can only hope right.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Snorman
LMAO at ~74% of respondents voting they will "leave it as is".
Not exactly the "majority" or "large portion" of people who hate the black rear lower portion of the bumper.
S.
71%...I just voted.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by sam90lx
71%...I just voted.
It's at ~74% again.
~2 out of 10 people have a problem with paint and/or the rear of the car.
S.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Lets hope GM does not miss the other 26%.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

You can't make everybody happy, and GM is making the vast majority happy with the C7.
S.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very funny Ox...

Originally Posted by BlueOx
That isn't a description.

So I guess it needs to look like some kind of alien labia to be a working diffuser?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

You can't make everybody happy, and GM is making the vast majority happy with the C7.
S.
Or maybe the C7 fans just complained so much about people having negative opinions about the rear of the C7 that many did what you guys asked and stopped posting on this board.

Also, did you actually read the poll question? It asked who was going to paint the rear diffuser. That is a question most likely to be answered by people who actually plan to buy the C7. There are alot of people who won't buy the C7 in large part because they hate the styling of the rear. If you asked who likes the rear diffuser painted black (and going so high on the rear), you would likely see somewhat different numbers. If you asked the same question 3 months ago you likely would have gotten a significantly different answer before alot of people stopped posting on this board and before a bunch of people convinced themselves that it has "grown" on them. A good design doesn't have to "grow" on you.

If truly 24% of buyers of this car actually do repaint the rear (which I don't actually believe will happen), then that indicates Chevy did a lousy job. 24% of actual buyers shouldn't want to significantly change the look.

GM should take serious the negative opinions about the rear of the C7.

Last edited by kdepew; 08-28-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kdepew
If truly 76% of buyers of this car actually do repaint the rear (which I don't actually believe will happen), then that indicates Chevy did a lousy job. 24% of actual buyers shouldn't want to significantly change the look.

What are you talking about? 74% voted to "leave it as-is". Did you read the poll and results?
The funny thing is, every time there is a poll that indicates well over 2/3rds of respondents favoring the C7 or a specific aspect of it, there is always somebody who tries desperately to throw a wet blanket on it.
People want to single out what they perceive as a "controversial" styling point because the minority question it, yet completely dismiss polls that show overwhelming support for the car.
Cases in point...
85% "like it", 15% "don't":
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...uyer-poll.html

83% "like the C7", 13% "don't like the C7":
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-impaired.html

Even the very first poll, started the day GM revealed the C7, only had a 17% negative response rate. And the majority of the votes were cast before we knew much about the car.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...u-like-it.html

I think GM realizes that while there may be some negative opinions about the rear design or C7 in general, there are far more that are positive.

In March 2005, 63% of voters in this poll preferred the C5 over the C6.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f115/...g-c5-c6-78177/

In November 2007, 66% still preferred the C5 over the C6.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f115/...2007-a-107910/

I might have missed exactly when GM redesigned the C6 to look more like the C5.
S.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Direct back view leaves everything to be desired. Such a shame compared with rest of the car which is world class.

Haven't seen in flesh but this 360 rear rear view is woeful.

http://www.360revo.com/stingraymobileext/
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Just get the car in NRB and its a close match, or I'd paint it all car color.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 AM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kdepew
Or maybe the C7 fans just complained so much about people having negative opinions about the rear of the C7 that many did what you guys asked and stopped posting on this board.

Also, did you actually read the poll question? It asked who was going to paint the rear diffuser. That is a question most likely to be answered by people who actually plan to buy the C7. There are alot of people who won't buy the C7 in large part because they hate the styling of the rear. If you asked who likes the rear diffuser painted black (and going so high on the rear), you would likely see somewhat different numbers. If you asked the same question 3 months ago you likely would have gotten a significantly different answer before alot of people stopped posting on this board and before a bunch of people convinced themselves that it has "grown" on them. A good design doesn't have to "grow" on you.

If truly 24% of buyers of this car actually do repaint the rear (which I don't actually believe will happen), then that indicates Chevy did a lousy job. 24% of actual buyers shouldn't want to significantly change the look.

I think I know which way you voted....
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I've seen the car in several colors now. The darker versions go better with the rear. It is a lot of black back there but it didn't deter me from ordering one. I wanted a NRB when they came out with that color. And that's what I ordered. I'm sure some after market shop will come up with some super duper cover or replacement for those that don't like the black. Save your $$. Be cheaper than paint I'm guessing.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

What are you talking about? 74% voted to "leave it as-is". Did you read the poll and results?
The funny thing is, every time there is a poll that indicates well over 2/3rds of respondents favoring the C7 or a specific aspect of it, there is always somebody who tries desperately to throw a wet blanket on it.
People want to single out what they perceive as a "controversial" styling point because the minority question it, yet completely dismiss polls that show overwhelming support for the car.
Cases in point...

Even the very first poll, started the day GM revealed the C7, only had a 17% negative response rate. And the majority of the votes were cast before we knew much about the car.

I think GM realizes that while there may be some negative opinions about the rear design or C7 in general, there are far more that are positive.

S.
What stands out here is that the pollmakers (who have all been pro-C7...notice how the "haters" don't create polls) have been very careful to avoid creating one that directly adresses the rear on it's own terms. You would see very different results, I'll wager. For example, if it looked like this:

1. I love the rear exactly as is and will not change anything - it is a key motivation for getting a C7

2. Rear not so great. I wish they had done better, but won't stop me from buying the car because the rest of it is so awesome. Here's hoping for a refresh.

3. It's hideous - what were they thinking.

I think you'd see about 65% in #2, with the rest among 1 and 3. I brought this up to the GM guys at Pebble, and they basically acquiesced that it is not getting as favorable reaction as they had expected. The guy I spoke with ("Jim") asked what my issues were and even took notes. I was surprised. He asked what model I was interested in and I said Z06. He responded "I think you'll like how that one looks from all 4 sides".

Last edited by TTRotary; 08-29-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
What stands out here is that the pollmakers (who have all been pro-C7...notice how the "haters" don't create polls) have been very careful to avoid creating one that directly adresses the rear on it's own terms. You would see very different results, I'll wager. For example, if it looked like this:

1. I love the rear exactly as is and will not change anything - it is a key motivation for getting a C7

2. Rear not so great. I wish they had done better, but won't stop me from buying the car because the rest of it is so awesome. Here's hoping for a refresh.

3. It's hideous - what were they thinking.

I think you'd see about 65% in #2, with the rest among 1 and 3. I brought this up to the GM guys at Pebble, and they basically acquiesced that it is not getting as favorable reaction as they had expected. The guy I spoke with ("Jim") asked what my issues were and even took notes. I was surprised. He asked what model I was interested in and I said Z06. He responded "I think you'll like how that one looks from all 4 sides".
I don't think that would work either. You would need another option because number 1 is basically saying you're buying the car for the rear end. Not that you already want the car and think the back end works with the design. Maybe if you got rid of the wording at the end "it is a key motivation".
Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I'd be fine with that change of wording. Now who's got cojones to put up the poll? I'm already in the doo-doo box with the mods because I lost it with another member yesterday...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Cases in point...

S.
Great post, nice research.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Got Cyber Gray primarily because it works so well with the diffuser and vents. Car looks like it was designed for CG (IMHO).

Get notified of new replies

To Poll - Who is painting the rear diffuser to match the body color

Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Body color or....

A shade or two off.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I really like a shade or two different from body color.

Or something other than black on all the colors. Looks great on some, less so on others.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

As is. When I finally decide.

Quick Reply: Poll - Who is painting the rear diffuser to match the body color