Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

there will be for c7r
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I dont think it will have a widebody, because its just not necessary. When the base C6 was designed, it had 400hp and provided right about the same amount of performance as the older C5Z. If its to be believed that the C7 will provide C6Z-like performance.. then I'm sure the base version of the car will come with wheels/tires wide enough, brakes big enough and all the necessary aero effects to provide that C6Z-like performance.

Another reason why I believe there will not be a "wide body" kit or version, is that its not something the Corvette is known for doing. In other words, if there is no technical reason for a wider car.. why would they reproduce it again.

As others have said.. I do expect any higher performance version of the C7 (Z06) to have more aero skirts, vents, aggressive styling. But I dont think that will make it necessarily any wider than the C7 base.
Man, what a crock ... the above quote. Here is the reason for the wide body Grand Sport, directly from the mouth of Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter ... 'Grand Sport really came out of a customer request to get the look of our uplevel models the Z06 and ZR1, the wide stance, the bigger tires, the flared fenders and quarters. They really wanted that with other features such as the convertible top and removable roof panel, as well as the automaic transmission which is not available with the higher output engines." .... "and to be able to offer that look with those features at a much lower price point."
BAM! ... Straight from the horse's mouth, and not a word about all the technical B.S. some have claimed here. The model was made because people liked the LOOK OF IT, wanted it as a Vert, Targa & Automatic, and for a lower cost! We all know how much of a salees success it was in relation to the other Vette models, ... so Yes, of course there will be a wide bodied C7!!! Watch the video below and hear him for yourself!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It is pretty hilarious to see folks saying GM 'whored' anything out! GM's job is to make money and if they make/save money by using parts from one car to sell more cars cheaper, so be it.

They would have just been smarter to have made the whole C6 line wide bodied...and I own and love my 'narrow' '05 vert. Then, as in the past, the major differences would have been the engines/accessories involved.
I do totally understand the need to "sell sell sell" but there is a limit on how much you can share parts across lines and "get away with it". If that was really the case every car would look like a cobalt inside and out, just with different engine/tire/chassis combos under the skin. All in the name of "saving money"

It's human nature to feel a bit let down when you spend a crap ton of money and then find out what you thought was exclusive just went out the window.

People remember things like this when they have another big wad of cash to blow
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
I do totally understand the need to "sell sell sell" but there is a limit on how much you can share parts across lines and "get away with it". If that was really the case every car would look like a cobalt inside and out, just with different engine/tire/chassis combos under the skin. All in the name of "saving money"

It's human nature to feel a bit let down when you spend a crap ton of money and then find out what you thought was exclusive just went out the window.

People remember things like this when they have another big wad of cash to blow
Yes there is a limit to it but don't forget that the C6 (even the $100+k ZR1) has the same darn steering wheel as most lower-end Chevys.

The Z06 owners have an engine no other Corvette had. They also had a frame that no other Corvette had, until the ZR1. There is your exclusivity. But they also had basically the same tranny as a Z51. They had the same seats, interior, etc. etc.

So in other words you get SOME exclusivity but certainly not much more than any other Corvette generation has had...the engine.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24
Man, what a crock ... the above quote. Here is the reason for the wide body Grand Sport, directly from the mouth of Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter ... 'Grand Sport really came out of a customer request to get the look of our uplevel models the Z06 and ZR1, the wide stance, the bigger tires, the flared fenders and quarters. They really wanted that with other features such as the convertible top and removable roof panel, as well as the automaic transmission which is not available with the higher output engines." .... "and to be able to offer that look with those features at a much lower price point."
BAM! ... Straight from the horse's mouth, and not a word about all the technical B.S. some have claimed here. The model was made because people liked the LOOK OF IT, wanted it as a Vert, Targa & Automatic, and for a lower cost! We all know how much of a salees success it was in relation to the other Vette models, ... so Yes, of course there will be a wide bodied C7!!! Watch the video below and hear him for yourself!
No one is questioning why the GS got the wide body. People were talking about the technical reasons for having the wide body Z cars in the first place. No original Z06 wide body, no one would know they wanted the wide body. The point of this thread was to discuss if there would be a wide body car for C7. The "technical bs" was brought up as discussion for if the higher performance models of C7 would have a wide body to pull from in the first place or not!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Man, what a crock ... the above quote.
I'd have to disagree only because I think they won't offer ANY wide bodied C7. Had the C6 NOT been offered in a wide body Z car, other owners wouldn't have felt butt-sore to have one.

There will still always be the aftermarket who will make obscenely bloated (Supervette) versions of anything Corvette comes out with.

Hey, I'm just guessing here...anything could happen!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

... And I'm not speaking to just that question of a technical reason, or not for a widebody, but rather to all who said they don't believe there will be one for any reason. My point is that it was desired by the buying public, which in turn caused GM to answer by offering the GS widebody version. It was a sales hit!, and I don't see GM walking a way from that formula. Probably not in the first 2 years, but certainly not entirely. Also, the rear quarter view CAD file that Keeks gave us clearly shows a flared quarter panel. This is not an illusion and certainly not an accident by the person who penned that CAD file drawing. It's not a C6 bulge, but definitely a flared quarter panel when compared to the mules on the ground. I think there will be a wider version at some point.

Last edited by Stew24; 12-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Cruse
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's funny how those wide shallow "vee" shapes return to Chevies periodically, somebody there must really like that look. After the 1959, a shallow vee appeared on the rear of the 1962 Chevy, then the rear of the 2000-2005 Impala. The front of the new Camaro is kind of a vee too, and I see that influence in the dip in the center rear of the C6 at the CHMSL.

aged care community

Last edited by Cruse; 01-05-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll add my thoughts. These pictures were posted this morning by another member. Looking at the two mule photos below, it would appear that there is already a significant flare to the rear fenders so it might be that the new C7 is already a wide body in stock form. Also, considering the new seats for the C7 appear to be wider than those of the C6, I can't help but wonder if the car itself is a bit wider to accommodate the wider drivers and passenger seats. The only way I can see accomplishing the wider seating would be to shrink the center consoles width, widen the car or a combination of both. If the car is in fact a bit wider, it might slightly limit the amount of flare that GM could get away with compared to the C6.

Notice the lower skirt in front of the rear tire. It appears to flare outware substantially.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/148094062
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/148094061

Last edited by slief; 12-31-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by slief
I'll add my thoughts. These pictures were posted this morning by another member. Looking at the two mule photos below, it would appear that there is already a significant flare to the rear fenders so it might be that the new C7 is already a wide body in stock form. Also, considering the new seats for the C7 appear to be wider than those of the C6, I can't help but wonder if the car itself is a bit wider to accommodate the wider drivers and passenger seats. The only way I can see accomplishing the wider seating would be to shrink the center consoles width, widen the car or a combination of both. If the car is in fact a bit wider, it might slightly limit the amount of flare that GM could get away with compared to the C6.

Notice the lower skirt in front of the rear tire. It appears to flare outware substantially.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/148094062
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/148094061
The real problem with the spy shots is at this point is we have a camoed car that is meant to look like a C6. We don't know what they might have done to throw us off.

If you look at the Jalopnik image that closely matches the 'owner's guide' image, you can see this same flaring at the bottom near the rear wheels.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking forward to wide stock tires. Any idea of tire size? I like conservative body lines but with big tires. Add an aluminum frame and a bit more power and this may be the perfect car for me.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
Looking forward to wide stock tires. Any idea of tire size? I like conservative body lines but with big tires. Add an aluminum frame and a bit more power and this may be the perfect car for me.
You may be dissapointed.. P285/30ZR19 rear, P235/25ZR20 front is what is being reported for the base model according to this thread here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...out-there.html
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
From all the pics and renders we have seen -- I wouldn't be surprised if the base model is a much more plain version than what everyone has been seeing leak wise.

If there is no widebody or specially made up body for the (hope they make it) Z06 - then I will look elsewhere for my next supercar.

Don't get my wrong - love my 08Z06, but it was disappointing to see them ***** out the body panels and everything that made it unique to lesser models. Maybe that makes me a bit of a Z06 snob, but for the money I spent, it would be nice to feel somewhat exclusive. Bit of a slap in the face but whatever, they are in it for the cold hard cash called profit

It was awesome to be able to look at a corvette from 1/2 a mile away and know it was a Z06 approaching, now? Not so much.
Absolutely agree with your thoughts..... For the money we spend over the base model , we should be more exclusive to the corvette line....... That doesn't make us zo6 snobs, it makes us proud of the zo6 and all the performance it comes with owning a zo6........
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
You may be dissapointed.. P285/30ZR19 rear, P235/25ZR20 front is what is being reported for the base model according to this thread here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...out-there.html

Well that stinks. I really liked my 315/275 setup on the Camaro and I was able to run those without a widebody.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

The Z06 owners really have to get over the moaning about the GS looking like the Z (arguably better looking). Its old news at this point.

I think all the C7 will be "widebodies", i.e., a wider body with integrated flaring behind front/rear wheels ('70 v '69). Performance version will have the additional vents/scoops along with a few other "go fast" cues.

The C7 will be a terrific looking/performing Vette that will further add to the Corvette "legend". And, make us all proud, regardless of the "model" we drive.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

... And I'm not speaking to just that question of a technical reason, or not for a widebody, but rather to all who said they don't believe there will be one for any reason. My point is that it was desired by the buying public, which in turn caused GM to answer by offering the GS widebody version. It was a sales hit!, and I don't see GM walking a way from that formula. Probably not in the first 2 years, but certainly not entirely. Also, the rear quarter view CAD file that Keeks gave us clearly shows a flared quarter panel. This is not an illusion and certainly not an accident by the person who penned that CAD file drawing. It's not a C6 bulge, but definitely a flared quarter panel when compared to the mules on the ground. I think there will be a wider version at some point.
That CAD image does have a flared look around the rear wheel.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

If the Corvette's new target group is the young crowd it will almost have to be offered with a wide body. Many of the custom builds done by young guys have a wide body look.

Get notified of new replies

To Why there may be no wide body C7...

Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Even if its a widebody though, we must make it wider and lower...lol. So, widebody or not, guarantee you will see tasteful widebody kits surface.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by RC000E
Even if its a widebody though, we must make it wider and lower...lol. So, widebody or not, guarantee you will see tasteful widebody kits surface.
And some distasteful ones too!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Wait until the car is four years old and being criticized for things GM isn't going to fix....
^ This.

Quick Reply: Why there may be no wide body C7...