Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve issues fixed in '13 427 verts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
I would sincerely advise anyone who sold one LS7 out of fear against buying another.

The LT1 in the C7 has sodium filled exhaust valves running on powdered metal guides, so it should be okay

If it were me, I would not have sold the '09. But the C7 is interesting.
AGREED!

What I find truly sad is that the hype on this forum caused the OP to get rid of a good car which he obviously liked enough that he is still interested in owning something very similar.

I suspect the solution to his problem is to buy whatever he really wants, ensure it has a warranty and then STOP reading forum (or at least the engine failure threads) and instead just drive/enjoy the car.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I don't agree that ignoring a problem is a good fix. Be educated on it, and do what makes you feel good. If driving a warrantied car is that, do that. If doing nothing and excepting a chance it could happen makes you happy, do that. If getting the heads works makes you sleep better, do that. Basically it is a choice for the car owner to make, but sticking your head in the ground and saying there is no problem is a bit silly in my opinion. Buy one, enjoy it, but be aware it could be an issue.

I haven't met a single owner that regrets getting the heads worked on. Everyone I've met and talked too was very happy they did it because of the excessive wear when the heads were removed. I'll keep recommend getting the heads checked for wear and getting new guides for now.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the valve or bearing issue since you are buying new and have a 5 year powertrain warranty. I would not do any mods on the car. GM supposedly corrected the issue by 2012 but nobody really knows. Since you are already have a C6 I would go for something different like a C7 vert or wait a year and get a C7 Z06
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
I don't agree that ignoring a problem is a good fix. Be educated on it, and do what makes you feel good. If driving a warrantied car is that, do that. If doing nothing and excepting a chance it could happen makes you happy, do that. If getting the heads works makes you sleep better, do that. Basically it is a choice for the car owner to make, but sticking your head in the ground and saying there is no problem is a bit silly in my opinion. Buy one, enjoy it, but be aware it could be an issue.

I haven't met a single owner that regrets getting the heads worked on. Everyone I've met and talked too was very happy they did it because of the excessive wear when the heads were removed. I'll keep recommend getting the heads checked for wear and getting new guides for now.

You make some good points.

The engine failure reports made on this forum, undoubtedly include a few people who were guilty of doing exactly what you describe above in bold.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

So what's the bottom line on an LS7 in a 2013 427 Vert?

First, I get a standard five year, 100k mile powertrain warranty that I would likely extend at purchase to at least 7 years, if not 10 years. (No way near 100k miles on this car for me in five years, maybe 10, but I doubt that as well.) I figure by that time with more and more examples, the problem should be readily identified and resolved.

So is the problem really sodium filled exhaust valves and/or powered metal guides? The LS9 and the LT1 both use them as well, so what gives? (And it doesn't sound like an inherent flaw of the design of the LS7 head.)
http://www.hotrod.com/feature_storie...e/viewall.html

At worst case while under warranty, the engine would grenade and be replaced (least desirable outcome.) Hopefully IF I did have an issue, it would become apparent enough (noise, oil on plugs, etc.) to have the heads replaced (under warranty) before that happened.

At which point I would entertain someone who knows what they are doing with LS7 heads (perhaps not GM,) rebuild with bronze valve guides and or solid stainless steel exhaust valves. A Corvette specialty shop in CA in this forum just posted special pricing for forum members on a complete rebuild of your LS7 heads, clean and re-surface, and install with the aforementioned parts for between $932 and $1,100, depending upon what specific parts you wanted to go with.

For a guy (or gal) who isn't really looking to "track" their ride, isn't that about as good (peace of mind) as one could hope to get? Surely by five, seven, or ten years (when my powertrain warranty expired on my '13 427,) the problem should be well documented, especially with all these new C7 LT1's and their similar valves and valve guides, right?

Bottom line for me, I love the looks of the wide-body C6 2013 427 convertible and it's round brake lights with 13.5" wide P335/25ZR20 Michelin PS2 ZP's in the rear! 7.0L dry sump motor, ZR1 spoiler, dual mode exhaust, magnetic ride control, carbon fiber fenders and raised hood with 427 emblems.

I've never really even been a big convertible guy, but throw that all in for the same price of a low-optioned 2LZ Z06 and I'm like well, how could I not?
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
rootine4 (06-27-2018)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unreal

I agree, but I'd like the original cause of the wear to be found.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Since I got rid of my LS7 Z06, I sleep well at night.

I would never buy another 427 LS7 as long as I live.
I'll See that and raise you "I'll never buy another chevrolet as long as I live"

The sticker on my 2007 was $75,000 and was likely bought at over MSRP. The stickers on the newer ones is higher. Had chevy handled this better, I would have a brand new chevy truck in my garage instead of a Nissan.

Last edited by jedblanks; 11-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
I highly doubt any of those old man car 427 verts would ever be driven hard enough to experience catastrophic failure; however there has been claims that they do experience the same valve guide wear just as any other LS7 in a C6 Z06.
Link to claims? Theres been rumors. But nothing concrete. I have a 2013 LS7 in my Z06. It only has 5,000 miles, I will be getting the wiggle test done soon and posting the results.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgl
I agree, but I'd like the original cause of the wear to be found.
I agree too, but for now, until we get to that point I'll check them every 20k. So far my PRC heads are working great.

I have a forged LSX 1000+rwhp car. I'm going to be running SS or inconel valves no matter what because of the HP and heat. So far my setup has been fine.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:18 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Link to claims? Theres been rumors. But nothing concrete. I have a 2013 LS7 in my Z06. It only has 5,000 miles, I will be getting the wiggle test done soon and posting the results.
Contact your buddy Chad...he's down there in Florida near you IIRC.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:32 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LFZ
Contact your buddy Chad...he's down there in Florida near you IIRC.
I just spoke with his wife a few hours ago, he's going to call me back later today she said. Really want to get the wiggle test done with early miles as a baseline of sorts. He will pull the heads if excessive wear is found (doubtful at 5,000)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I just spoke with his wife a few hours ago, he's going to call me back later today she said. Really want to get the wiggle test done with early miles as a baseline of sorts. He will pull the heads if excessive wear is found (doubtful at 5,000)
Let us know what you find out...even at 5k miles, getting that info would be very beneificial.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:43 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LFZ
Let us know what you find out...even at 5k miles, getting that info would be very beneificial.
If he does pull the heads I'm going to put it back to stock, it has a katech 116 and their springs/retainers in it.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Agreed, rudeness sucks

Originally Posted by CorvetteRL
Look Dingo, Not everyone has time to read every thread. I am very well aware of issues in the past and I would assume so is Chevy... Hence the reason for the question. I was not considering another c6 at all but I'm not a huge fan of the C7's and have found a real good deal on a 2013 427 Vert special edition. No reason to be a a$$ with you assumptions/post!
Some real rude folks on this forum.

Your question is legitimate .

The C7 has some real advantages over the C6 for sure.

Looks are subjective.

A base C7 will not out run a newer Z06/Z07.

You really cannot go wrong either way.

Both very good cars and loads of fun!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default I bet you will be fine

How much are you paying for this test?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

The LS9 in the ZR1 uses similar sodium filled exhaust valves with powered metal guides, as do all the new C7 LT1's, right? I've never heard of this issue with the LS3, and what about the LSA in the ZL1 and CTS-V? Have LSA's been dropping valves? All I can find info on the LSA valves are in reference to the intake valves.

The gatekeepers of the heads’ combustion chambers are large-diameter, 2.16-inch (55 mm) intake valves and 1.59-inch (40.4 mm) exhaust valves. The intake valves are made of steel and feature thick heads.http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n.../0208_lsa.html
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Originally Posted by LFZ
[...] 427 verts [...] there has been claims that they do experience the same valve guide wear just as any other LS7 in a C6 Z06.
Link to claims? Theres been rumors. But nothing concrete. [...]
Contact your buddy Chad... [...]

Get notified of new replies

To Valve issues fixed in '13 427 verts?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

If you don't do that test with a dial indicator then you stand a good chance of wasting your time and your money, or just winding up confused. FWIW . . . .
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigVette427
The LS9 in the ZR1 uses similar sodium filled exhaust valves with powered metal guides, as do all the new C7 LT1's, right? I've never heard of this issue with the LS3, and what about the LSA in the ZL1 and CTS-V? Have LSA's been dropping valves? All I can find info on the LSA valves are in reference to the intake valves. [...]
Sodium filled hollow stem exhaust valves are used in the LS6, LS7, LS9, and (C7) LT1. Not to mention other non-GM vehicles (2012+ Ford Boss 302 DOCH Laguna Seca, for one, and the 2013 Viper for another). All the GM vehicles use PM guides (unsure on the non-GM).

According to documents at GM Powertrain (.com) the LSA uses sodium valves from 2011 onwards. Prior to that is uncertain (earlier docs make no specific mention).

The LS3 used empty hollow intake valves and solid exhaust valves. The LS6 also used empty hollow intake valves.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
And what type of failures were these?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nd-belief.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve issues fixed in '13 427 verts?