Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bummed beyond belief

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bummed beyond belief

Help! New member here with my first post. Recently purchased a new 2013 427, 60th Anniv edition. Have had it only a couple months and only 2000 miles. Have been very happy with it until last week and can't figure out what is going on. Basically, I was driving it and while parking at my destination, I somehow stalled it, or it maybe just stalled by itself. Then it wouldn't start, and after a few attempts the battery was draining and it would barely turn over. I let it sit an hour and it did finally start, but I was getting the dreaded check engine light and service traction control message. At this point I only 5 miles or so from the dealer where I bought the car so that's where I headed. About 5 blocks away the engine began running very rough, and sounded like it was struggling and like it was only using 7 cylinders, and it stalled. So now I'm sitting on a very busy street, 115 degrees on Friday afternoon rush hour. Luckily I was able to pull to the side right in a bus stop, which really P. O.ed the bus drivers as they came by, but I was stuck! Again the battery would barely turn over the engine and it wouldn't start. After 45 minutes of sitting there, the tow truck comes, but he was concerned about towing it with all the carbon fiber pieces, such as the splitter on the front that gives it very little clearance. So we decided to see if he could jump it. This worked and I limped into the dealer's service area. It has now been there 4 days and I have no solid answers. It did throw some codes, and at first they thought it was just a weak battery. One of the codes was about a problem with one of the fog lamps. They took care of this, but said it still didn't run quite right. They called Chevy corporate technical service who recommended they give it a 50 mile test drive so they could see what would happen on a longer drive. They then noticed that the oil pressure was very low, ranging from just 6 to a max of about 20 PSI!!! What??? The latest is that Chevy is telling them to take apart and look into the lower part of the engine to try to figure out why the oil pressure is so low. They are saying that it seems to run fine on a cold start, but when it gets to operating temperature it starts running like crap. At this point I have no idea when I will see my car again. Has anyone ever heard of this? Did I get a "lemon"? I'm really concerned that even if they figure out what is going on, that the engine has now been damaged by running it with such low oil pressure. Recommendations???
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I ran my car home with no oil in it. about 5 miles. Mobil 1 is very sticky and it coats the parts well. I wonder if a disconnect of the battery is in order. Sometimes the computer don't know what to do so it reverts to "limp mode". Also a bad battery will make it do stupid things. Good luck with the problem . keep us posted.

Clif
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Did you have a passenger with you at the time? I don't know about the oil pressure issue, but I once had a similar hickup and the cause was the fuse box under the passenger mat. After fiddling with it and re-tightening, everything went back to normal.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Thanks Clif, yes I have read that a weak battery will make lots of different things act strange. But would it cause the oil pressure to stay so dangerously low? It looks like the car will be at the dealer over the long weekend.
Jack
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Thanks X25, yes I did have a passenger. You have me thinking now... The only thing I have done to the car is add the "mild to wild" kit because I love the sound of the exhaust open at all times. When I installed this I had to change around a few things in the fuse box. I installed it with the method that is supposed to of cause a drain on the battery. This is something I can check out, but again, the oil pressure issue? Could something be causing the oil pressure gauge to read incorrectly?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Default Holy s@$??!

I just got an update from the service department. They are now reporting that they see tiny metal particles in the oil! They said don't plan on getting the car back during July. Somebody wake me up, this has got to be a nightmare!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 427
I just got an update from the service department. They are now reporting that they see tiny metal particles in the oil! They said don't plan on getting the car back during July. Somebody wake me up, this has got to be a nightmare!

With that said I would insist on a new motor and make sure they flush out all the old lines!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Honestly, there is not enough info here. Maybe ask the dealer to give you the DTCs Diagnostic Trouble Codes present when they scanned the PCM and post them up The DTC will point to the systems not operating properly. It is then up to the Dealer Tech to run through the diagnostic tree for these DTCs to try and get to the root cause of the issue. Just speculating but it almost sounds like the dealer is guessing. How reputable is your dealer in terms of Corvette repair.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 PM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that sucks
This would be my luck on a new one for sure. Not a expert on your options for this..but I would fight like hell for a new..not rebuilt.. engine.
Gary
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default i feel so bad for you

this is the second time I have read of someone with a brand new 427 having engine problems. who the hell is building these lumps ?

best of luck bud
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
2013 427
Instructor

I believe the dealer is reputable, or at least they are large. Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ. They appear to be in constant contact with Chevy Technical Support, which I guess is the corporate advisor for larger issues like this one is turning into. The dealer so far has been very responsive and has given me a rental to use "until the issue is resolved". It would be great if I could just say, hey give me a new engine - but the LS 7's are now history with the 2014's coming out. I don't know that much about engines and all the damage that metal particles in the oil can do, but I'm sure it's serious. How much of the engine needs to be replaced to ensure I'm not getting "damaged goods"? Are we talking everything - heads, pistons, cam, etc? I'm not sure what to insist upon at this point, so any guidance would help. Thanks to all those that have posted so far! I feel like I'm in some serious do-do here.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Bummer, hope they make it right.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 254 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, how sad.
I'm not sure what to insist upon at this point, so any guidance would help.
If it is determined that the motor is bad (metal in the oil) at a bare minimum a complete new motor is in order.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear that news but that sounds like your LS7 is toast.

What a way to begin your ownership experience, and to compound it they assure you that your car is out of commission the entire month!? That's a load of BS.

They still make LS7's for the Z28 track car though.

All I can say is good luck and I hope the best for your situation.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Low oil pressure sounds like a spun bearing.

Slow cranking can be a bad starter, a bad battery, or a spun bearing.

Metal particles in the oil sounds like a spun bearing.

It looks like 3 strikes -- it's a pretty foregone conclusion that your engine has a spun bearing. You will surely be getting a new engine, and GM does have spare engines. Yes, this will probably take a month (the new engine will probably have to be shipped from Detroit, and that's only the beginning).

Last edited by Mark2009; 07-02-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Really bad luck. Many of us have had GM replace new motors into their cars. I agree with others, you will get a new motor. Just make sure they know which other components need replacing or cleaning and that they fill the tranny fluid before giving it back to you.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Bummed beyond belief

Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

lemon law, i would demand a new car, bad enough the motor it toast, now it's in the hands of under qualified GM techs that dont know their *** from their elbow, you will most likely get the car back with more issues then it went in with, i would have started the lemon law paper work like yesterday..
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Low oil pressure sounds like a spun bearing.

Slow cranking can be a bad starter, a bad battery, or a spun bearing.

Metal particles in the oil sounds like a spun bearing.

It looks like 3 strikes -- it's a pretty foregone conclusion that your engine has a spun bearing. You will surely be getting a new engine, and GM does have spare engines. Yes, this will probably take a month (the new engine will probably have to be shipped from Detroit, and that's only the beginning).
spun bearing
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

I would push for a new complete engine, end of discussions!! and no worries on the ls7, parts and even the complete engine will be available for a while

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bummed beyond belief