Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Appears GM HAS FIXED LS7 Valve Issue with '12-'13 LS7s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
1 year of ownership and 3,000 miles on my 427 - no funny noises. I know it's early, but I'll wait till I hear of a '12 or '13 reported with a problem before I give up on my LS7.

(Although, with respect for '07-'11 owners, I'm certainly not vouching for GM's customer service policies.)

I hope you will avoid the dreaded valve wiggle.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:49 AM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
1 year of ownership and 3,000 miles on my 427 - no funny noises. I know it's early, but I'll wait till I hear of a '12 or '13 reported with a problem before I give up on my LS7.

(Although, with respect for '07-'11 owners, I'm certainly not vouching for GM's customer service policies.)

I have a 2013 Z06 with a Build date of 01/2013. Engine was also assembled in 01/2013. No miles to speak of yet. Only 1000. A friend of mine has a 427 convertible with near 6000 miles. He drives the car way more than I do mine. No noise whatsoever comes from either engine bay. May hear an injector pulse but as far as valve noise, not there. Oil usage, not there.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

I am trailering my 2012 into the dealership this morning. It has 10,589 miles on it. The car started to tick real bad, then threw a low oil code and then shut down all in about 20 seconds. It had a horrible smell. I will let you all know when I hear something back.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

500 Mi. No problems yet! Just wish I had the courage to push the start button, gonna tow it in & wiggle test it Silly Stuff indeed
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Well, I for one hope all these guys are correct. But I don't believe it.
Originally Posted by slacker1201
I am trailering my 2012 into the dealership this morning. It has 10,589 miles on it. The car started to tick real bad, then threw a low oil code and then shut down all in about 20 seconds. It had a horrible smell. I will let you all know when I hear something back.
Well, here might be the first...
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I seem to recall this as well--your memory isn't failing you yet !
A 427 vert that dropped a valve? I don't know how I missed that one.

I do recall a 427 vert owner who had some engine issues, and needed a replacement engine, but I don't recall it being a dropped valve.

I do recall that he had a good deal of concern about the fact that the car would not have the original engine in it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JWingo
I have a 2013 Z06 with a Build date of 01/2013. Engine was also assembled in 01/2013. No miles to speak of yet. Only 1000. A friend of mine has a 427 convertible with near 6000 miles. He drives the car way more than I do mine. No noise whatsoever comes from either engine bay. May hear an injector pulse but as far as valve noise, not there. Oil usage, not there.
I hope your good luck continues. The absence if noise is no guarantee that guides are not wearing.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

2012 Z06 here ordered early and took Del Aug 26 2011 car has 22,000 mile no oil use or track time. No loud ticking from it so maybe gonna make it have ext GMPP till 2018 and 95000 miles so we shall see.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
JWingo
Pro

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I hope your good luck continues. The absence if noise is no guarantee that guides are not wearing.
You may be surprised what Predictive monitoring equipment is capable of if placed in the correct hands. I can measure and quantify each individual valve event if I desire. I certainly do not live in fear of a failure. I've made a living from preventing failures and correcting variables unforeseen by design Engineers. These type scenarios, I am very familiar with and very comfortable with. Most certainly guides will wear. I have found that fear of failure only drives one to make rash and mostly undue repairs to only find that the original issue still exist with new components in place. In some instances, the new components bring many new variables to the table as does unnecessary disassembly. I'll let you know if that 13 fails! But I can tell you up front,,, it want.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2013 Z has 8,000 miles on it. The only noise so far sounds like lifter bleed off. If the car sets for several days, there is a slight lifter noise for about 20 seconds when started. It gets quieter as it idles, until it goes away after the 20 seconds or so. Once gone, the noise is gone until it sets for several days again ? I will notify Chevrolet at next oil change just so they have it on record ??
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I seem to recall this as well--your memory isn't failing you yet !
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
A 427 vert that dropped a valve? I don't know how I missed that one.

I do recall a 427 vert owner who had some engine issues, and needed a replacement engine, but I don't recall it being a dropped valve.

I do recall that he had a good deal of concern about the fact that the car would not have the original engine in it.

not sure if that owner's engine problem was ever completely disclosed in that now-deleted thread...
I just recall the general discussion.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JWingo
I've made a living from preventing failures and correcting variables unforeseen by design Engineers.
Where were you last week when I was arguing with all the engineers that insist the design of the LS7 is beyond reproach !!!

DH
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by marktsmith
My 2013 Z has 8,000 miles on it. The only noise so far sounds like lifter bleed off. If the car sets for several days, there is a slight lifter noise for about 20 seconds when started. It gets quieter as it idles, until it goes away after the 20 seconds or so. Once gone, the noise is gone until it sets for several days again ? I will notify Chevrolet at next oil change just so they have it on record ??
Similar experience with my current motor. Start it up in the morning and after initial high RPM settles down I can hear what sounds like one lifter making a mild sound. Then after several seconds it goes away, like the lifter pumping up. Very consistant.

My previous motor would start up quietly and then after left idling for several minutes it would get louder ......... it finally blew up which solved that noise

DH
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 AM
JWingo
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Where were you last week when I was arguing with all the engineers that insist the design of the LS7 is beyond reproach !!!

DH
Howie,
I prefer to remain neutral due to the fact that I myself have no hard evidence to support there is a flaw in design. From what I am reading and have seen, this may never be agreed upon as to the origin of cause. Casting blame never solves anything. "I believe" it is from improper machining of guides. Not an Engineering issue. This is to say a quality control issue or misunderstanding as to the machining process for PM guides. My last statement may be somewhat misleading. I have provided corrections due to unforeseen variables to Design engineers. With data, it is well received. Their first question is “How can we avoid further reoccurrence”? However, more than that, I've had to come into a room full of Master Mechanics and say, "This unit is failing due to improper installation or improper handling”. Sometimes, it's a misunderstanding of procedure. Sometimes it seems you need to hold some by the hand. Many times we search for a "Smoking gun". Most times it's not that easy or complex. In this case, a lot of concerns have been expressed. Geometry, Guide compatibility, Rocker ratio, Heat transfer, Sodium filled valves, improper machining of guides, etc. When no one answer stands out, ask which one would most likely cause "all the above"? Lastly, as an example, rolling element bearings should last for many years by design. However 80 percent will never meet or exceed their design life due to outside influences beyond engineering controls. It's all about precision.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Mach Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if that owner's engine problem was ever completely disclosed in that now-deleted thread...
I just recall the general discussion.
It's not deleted. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nd-belief.html

I'm not sure why so many people think GM would have fixed this problem that they first tried denying, lied and said it only affected certain years, and then went out of their way to sometimes try to deny warranty work on supposedly stock vehicles. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice, well you know where this is going.

Stop with the sky if falling crap because it already fell. Not necessarily with the motor completely but with how GM handles the issue. The reason to not fix the motor is so they can double dip and try so sell someone a new engine who is out of warranty or either try to be unscrupulous deny warranty coverage then turn around and say oh but by the way we can sell ya a replacement motor for 15k. If it worked/worked on 1 out of 10 people they accomplished their goal. There are so many loyalists out there as you can read from some of the above posts that they have no need to fix it. Change is only made from banning products and taking a stand. What's worse than all of the dropped valve threads is all the people backing GM and trying to say the sky isn't falling. Why would greedy GM spend money making a change if they know the loyalists are out there who couldn't care less about their less than satisfactory quality control. I get it though, some of the loyalists aren't loyalists at all and are just concerned with resale value down the line however standing up and demanding change would have helped it even more so because there would be healthy motors out there now and could have restored some people's faith in GM.

Sorry for the rant but as you see a 2013 427 vert already crashed and burned do to us not standing up and showing GM we weren't standing for their bull. Bullies only bully until you punch them in the mouth.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftLane Z06
This is my opinion.
GM has left over motors from the Z06.... The Z28 will be sold as a race car with NO WARRANTY. So come on and buy the last of the junk motors with no warranty. If it breaks ....O well.
The Z28 is not a legal street model, Bummer
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Source? I'm doubting this is true as if it weren't street legal, Jay Leno wouldn't have been driving one around town in a Jay Lenos garage episode.

Get notified of new replies

To Appears GM HAS FIXED LS7 Valve Issue with '12-'13 LS7s

Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I see were still speaking of noises, which still doesn't mean a darn thing.......carry on
Old 10-06-2013, 01:56 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Not accurate
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
I see were still speaking of noises, which still doesn't mean a darn thing.......carry on
as a gm mechanic, whats your take?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Appears GM HAS FIXED LS7 Valve Issue with '12-'13 LS7s