Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] my LS7 saga with wiggle test video

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ because GM obviously doesn't want to fix/replace up to 30,000+ LS7s...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
^ because GM obviously doesn't want to fix/replace up to 30,000+ LS7s...
Understandable, but the fact remains...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
So based on your plugs, does this mean that non-oiled plugs does NOT necessarily mean the guides are not worn? Are those plugs even oiled? I can't tell from the picture. They seem pretty clean compared to other pictures of oiled plugs I've seen in past threads.

Ron
My plugs were perfect but guides worn. My geometry was good too

DH
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRA95
That is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

GM should be standing up to the plate and addressing this ongoing issue!!!
And the moon is made of green cheese.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

GM is not going to do a thing unless there is a well organized class action law suit that makes a lot of noise, and I just don't see that happening.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
GM is not going to do a thing unless there is a well organized class action law suit that makes a lot of noise, and I just don't see that happening.
Probably won't happen.

These cars are out of production and obsolete.

With the passing of each day, and with it, the shortening of each warranty, GM gets farther off the hook for this matter.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 AM
1981turbota
Racer

Originally Posted by flyloeZ06
Shouldn't this be under engine warranty? I am having my heads replaced for this same problem by GM at 0 cost. I know they are still GM heads, but 0 is good. But I will be checking for "wiggle" well before 24000 miles next time around.
The engine still is under warranty, but since it was originally sold in the US and it's now in Germany, the warranty doesn't do much good.

I really wish GM would step up to the plate...it seems like quite a few LS7's will run a good long time with worn guides, and others pop. Seems like GM is willing to quietly eat this one....what a shame.

After the fix though, my mind will be at ease!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
show723
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm located in upstate ny, and I have a 2007 Z with 25k, tell me if I'm wrong but I'm leaning towards getting the entire heads done since 07's are notorious for broken rocker arm needle bearings also. So if I do get them done, anyone know about how much this will set me back? And what shop could work on them for me around upstate ny? Thank you in advance!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
mjoacim
Racer

Are those just factory LS7 heads that have been redone by RPM that you're putting on in place of the worn ones?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick, while recognizing a wealth of info is already on this forum, I wonder if you , as the archival master on dropped valves/guides out of spec, if it would be possible to pull together from the known data base a simple tabulation relating valve dropping/out of spec guides to type of driving style i.e. track/no track/mod's (when listed) that the car was subjected to..Very simple tabulation without much detail like:

Car x dropped a valve at xxxmiles was tracked no mod's
Car y guides out of spec xxx miles no dropped valve no track w/mods (cam)

I think it would help the community to see at a glance and compare how their style of driving compares to those unfortunate and assess the likelyhood of having a problem downstream. Realizing it would be more qualitative than quantative but it would certainly be informative..
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

fairly sure that already exists, and not to sound harsh...but, what does that really do for us?? we already know there IS a problem, either attempt to fix it or let the warranty back you. we ahve seen worn guides with 5k on them and we have seen motors that last 250k without a hitch. Lets you know that you need to do your own investigation and address the issue, or let it ride and hope the warranty gods are in your favor.

Last edited by 240sx2jz; 03-19-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have checked 3 Zs
Mine: 16k - Babied garage queen, 3rd owner. Evidence suggests car was well taken care of and not raced- .0100 wiggle
24k 08z, new owner, 3rd owner .0070 -.0080 wiggle
14k 08z, orig owner, 1 owner, .0100 wiggle.

I hope to check a 4k mile 07 z soon.

It's anecdotal, but I don't see a trend other than the amount of wear.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
1981turbota
Racer

Originally Posted by mjoacim
Are those just factory LS7 heads that have been redone by RPM that you're putting on in place of the worn ones?
They are stock 2006 LS7 heads that were gone through by RPM. If I was in the US, I'd ride the warranty out, worst that could happen if it pops is I get a fresh motor.

The problem is widespead indeed, I wish mine was one of the "good" ones
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
mjoacim
Racer

Gotcha. Would you mind PM'ing me what you paid for the heads or to have them done by RPM? I think you did the right thing. I'd never want to leave it to chance, have something happen and then have to deal with a dealer and warranty while my car sits with its guts hanging out. Just me.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Quick, while recognizing a wealth of info is already on this forum, I wonder if you , as the archival master on dropped valves/guides out of spec, if it would be possible to pull together from the known data base a simple tabulation relating valve dropping/out of spec guides to type of driving style i.e. track/no track/mod's (when listed) that the car was subjected to..Very simple tabulation without much detail like:

Car x dropped a valve at xxxmiles was tracked no mod's
Car y guides out of spec xxx miles no dropped valve no track w/mods (cam)

I think it would help the community to see at a glance and compare how their style of driving compares to those unfortunate and assess the likelyhood of having a problem downstream. Realizing it would be more qualitative than quantative but it would certainly be informative..
Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
fairly sure that already exists, and not to sound harsh...but, what does that really do for us?? we already know there IS a problem, either attempt to fix it or let the warranty back you. we ahve seen worn guides with 5k on them and we have seen motors that last 250k without a hitch. Lets you know that you need to do your own investigation and address the issue, or let it ride and hope the warranty gods are in your favor.
Some of the work has been done with regard to that, and I can tell you that such an endeavor is exhaustive.

In the following link, I was handing off the listing to Bill Dearborn.

It listed all of the stock and modified LS7 engine failures regardless as to reported reason. The stock ones, where I knew mileage, I put it down.

The modified ones, some of them I hyperlinked, feeling that if the reader needed more information about the car and the owner, that he could do so on his own.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581584713

In this next link, I added a few more, (I believe that there were 12 new engine failure incidents reported by owners after 9/26/12) after it became apparent that no one was going to pick up the chore of documenting the LS7 failures on this forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583345762

When it was felt that oil might have something to do with the valve related incidents in the bone stock listing, I even had a version of that listing where I put down what oil the owner was using if he had stated it anywhere in any of his prior postings, but this became impractical after awhile.

In a nutshell, doing even the amount of work that I have done with these listings, there was/is still bickering and arguing, so there really became no point to working on it any further in terms of listing mileage, track use or not, etc.

In fact, there are still a few die hards who don't to this day, believe that a problem with some of these cars even exists. When GM came out with their "announcement" for lack of a better term, and started giving out case numbers on this matter, there were those in here saying that the announcement had actually come from some "teenager working at Wendy's from his laptop".

You typically find three stages, or different classes, or groups in here, when it comes to naysayers on this issue.

1. People who still deny that a problem even exists.

2. People who now begrudgingly go ahead and admit that a problem does exists, at least in "a few" cars, and who aggressively disagree with the most popular, and thus far seemingly effective route of managing it.

3. People who readily admit that a problem exists, an admission which is usually a result of overwhelming evidence and continued reports of problems and issues thought to be precursors of valve drop incidents, but disagree, usually aggressively, with the most popular, and thus far seemingly effective route of managing it.

So really, when you are up against attitudes like that, what really becomes the point of going any further to archive this stuff beyond that which it has been already.

People are focusing now on "guide wear", more so than they are outright engine failures, and in a warped sort of way, an LS7 engine failure in here, is no longer "news". So like you say, we already know that there is a problem.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-19-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Well performance cars come with performance parts thus you have to maintain them. I would love to see a law suit but yeah it's not going to happen. For me it was simple take the heads off and have WCCH do their magic and never worry about this issue.

To me now the Z06 is an awesome car and when you really look at the performance enhancements these cars have you just can't find another car in the price range with them. So yes paying $1200 to $1800 for a fix that GM should take care sucks the other side of it is your in an awesome car.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

^

I agree with you mike. If I didn't like the car so much, I would dump it in a heartbeat.

I will remember this issue well when I buy my next car and truck.

Get notified of new replies

To my LS7 saga with wiggle test video

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Agreed! I just bought a new Jeep over a GM. But as for the Z06 i had no desire to drive a Mustang that lacks so many of the Z06 features.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Some of the work has been done with regard to that, and I can tell you that such an endeavor is exhaustive.

In the following link, I was handing off the listing to Bill Dearborn.

It listed all of the stock and modified LS7 engine failures regardless as to reported reason. The stock ones, where I knew mileage, I put it down.

The modified ones, some of them I hyperlinked, feeling that if the reader needed more information about the car and the owner, that he could do so on his own.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581584713

In this next link, I added a few more, (I believe that there were 12 new engine failure incidents reported by owners after 9/26/12) after it became apparent that no one was going to pick up the chore of documenting the LS7 failures on this forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583345762

When it was felt that oil might have something to do with the valve related incidents in the bone stock listing, I even had a version of that listing where I put down what oil the owner was using if he had stated it anywhere in any of his prior postings, but this became impractical after awhile.

In a nutshell, doing even the amount of work that I have done with these listings, there was/is still bickering and arguing, so there really became no point to working on it any further in terms of listing mileage, track use or not, etc.

In fact, there are still a few die hards who don't to this day, believe that a problem with some of these cars even exists. When GM came out with their "announcement" for lack of a better term, and started giving out case numbers on this matter, there were those in here saying that the announcement had actually come from some "teenager working at Wendy's from his laptop".

You typically find three stages, or different classes, or groups in here, when it comes to naysayers on this issue.

1. People who still deny that a problem even exists.

2. People who now begrudgingly go ahead and admit that a problem does exists, at least in "a few" cars, and who aggressively disagree with the most popular, and thus far seemingly effective route of managing it.

3. People who readily admit that a problem exists, an admission which is usually a result of overwhelming evidence and continued reports of problems and issues thought to be precursors of valve drop incidents, but disagree, usually aggressively, with the most popular, and thus far seemingly effective route of managing it.

So really, when you are up against attitudes like that, what really becomes the point of going any further to archive this stuff beyond that which it has been already.

People are focusing now on "guide wear", more so than they are outright engine failures, and in a warped sort of way, an LS7 engine failure in here, is no longer "news". So like you say, we already know that there is a problem.
4. People who don't care because they still have warranty
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

^^^yep!

Quick Reply: [Z06] my LS7 saga with wiggle test video