Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Video - LS7 Valve Guide Wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Video - LS7 Valve Guide Wear

Here's a video showing what the valve/guide clearances look like when out of spec....

Click here ====> BAD GUIDE VIDEO.

..more info in this thread... Click here ====>Valve Guides Replaced
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How many days is the car out of service for the same package as the OP in the other thread? I'm up in NorCal and could drive down to get the work done, but wondering how long it would take.

What is the price of the 'reliability package'? Is this the equivalent of the WCCH LS7 Stage2 package? Any milling done?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Go X-15 Go
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah +1 thanks for sharing your findings.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
How many days is the car out of service for the same package as the OP in the other thread? I'm up in NorCal and could drive down to get the work done, but wondering how long it would take.

What is the price of the 'reliability package'? Is this the equivalent of the WCCH LS7 Stage2 package? Any milling done?

$2,695 ...car will be in the shop for 3-5 working days

Parts Include

CHE Valve Guides
SS exhaust Valves
Dual Springs, ti Retainers, Steel Spring Bases
Stem Seals
Head Bolts
Head Gaskets
Comp Trunnion Kit

Machining & Labor

Install guides and hone to size
Comp Valve Job
Light "bowl porting"
Mill & CC
Clean & Assemble
Upgrade Rocker Arms
R&R Heads
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yet again, proven, it's a fact these exhaust valves/guides are turds. Thanks for taking the time to record and post Charlie.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Yet again, proven, it's a fact these exhaust valves/guides are turds. Thanks for taking the time to record and post Charlie.
you are welcome

it's might be good for business but i really wish we were not seeing these issues.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
Here's a video showing what the valve/guide clearances look like when out of spec....

Click here ====> BAD GUIDE VIDEO.

..more info in this thread... Click here ====>Valve Guides Replaced
Can you share what year model car these heads came off?

thanks for posting the video!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Can you share what year model car these heads came off?

thanks for posting the video!
these were off an '06 Z06 oops....I made a mistake it was an '07...

Last edited by C_Williams@RPM; 10-13-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

How much if I just send my heads to you?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tarantula
how much if i just send my heads to you?
$1275...thanks for opportunity to quote!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Charlie, I would like to Thank You for posting up this additional information, and for answering my questions in the other thread. It is much appreciated. Your the first vendor that I can recall has provided this much info on the topic.

Others have commented here and there, but most( not all) of the feedback I hear is 3rd party from some forum members here, who quite honestly I don't trust, and can you really blame someone for not trusting a total stranger on the internet?

Being a professional shop and vendor here, I value and respect your opinion

You have helped convince me this is a large wide-spread problem, and have provided at least general numbers to back that up ( you said 3-4 sets of heads a month I think you are seeing Guide Wear) and you've seen over a dozen blown LS7.

In your professional opinion... So for my car, an 07 with 25k on it, bone stock street driven (maybe 1 track event a year) I should have the heads done,, I realize of course you cant give me the odds or % chance of something happening, but based off what you know today. The over dozen motors you've seen blow , those are not just tracked cars, youve seen a lot of street driven ones as well correct?

In other words, if you were in my shoes, would you do it? Yes I assume?

if you were closer to me, I'd be calling you to set up an appointment, just based off your willingness and time you've shared here. You have great pricing. ...although by the time I ship you the heads and insure them, and have them pulled and reinstalled it will be cheaper to do local here I imagine.

Hell, maybe I could take a drive from IL to CA, but yet again, I'd be afraid I;ll drop a valve now

Last edited by FrankTank; 10-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I noticed you list a trunnion upgrade as part of the service, and I'm not trying to start a pissing contest about doing it or not, but, do you believe or feel that the free play in the factory rocker contributes to the 'excessive' guide wear, is a major factor in the wear or is doing so just a preventive nature thing to shore up a weak spot?

I ask simply because of the varying opinions of other vendors as to the need. I am not seeking a desertion
Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Charlie, I would like to Thank You for posting up this additional information, and for answering my questions in the other thread. It is much appreciated. Your the first vendor that I can recall has provided this much info on the topic.

Others have commented here and there, but most( not all) of the feedback I hear is 3rd party from some forum members here, who quite honestly I don't trust, and can you really blame someone for not trusting a total stranger on the internet?

You have helped convince me this is a large wide-spread problem, and have provided at least general numbers to back that up ( you said 3-4 sets of heads a month I think you are seeing Guide Wear) and you've seen over a dozen blown LS7.

In your professional opinion... So for my car, an 07 with 25k on it, bone stock street driven (maybe 1 track event a year) I should have the heads done,, I realize of course you cant give me the odds or % chance of something happening, but based off what you know today. The over dozen motors you've seen blow , those are not just tracked cars, youve seen a lot of street driven ones as well correct?

if you were closer to me, I'd be calling you to set up an appointment, just based off your willingness and time you've shared here. You have great pricing. ...although by the time I ship you the heads and insure them, and have them pulled and reinstalled it will be cheaper to do local here I imagine.

Hell, maybe I could take a drive from IL to CA, but yet again, I'd be afraid I;ll drop a valve now
oh come on now, GM said it's 08 to 11 cars. yours is an 07 and isnt affected. i am sure you will not be in the 1% failure rate of the 06 to 07's. the op is just out to make money off the problem just like carlos was and some of the others that were accused of it. its all internet hysteria. GM will make good on it as long as you are stock. trading in your "white knight" status?

you know i am just giving you crap and its all in fun. its good to see the op's post on this and it continues to confirm the issue and may very well prevent someone from dropping a valve by having the head work done or at least checking their guides.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

thank you. i don't frequent the site as mush as i should but will try and add more in the future

have commented here and there, but most( not all) of the feedback I hear is 3rd party from some forum members here, who quite honestly I don't trust, and can you really blame someone for not trusting a total stranger on the internet?
I know what you mean, although there is a lot of good advice on these forums, just need to filter it

being a professional shop and vendor here, I value and respect your opinion

yes, as the cars gain miles and get near end of warranty we are seeing many owners modding or taking preventive measures.

in your professional opinion... So for my car, an 07 with 25k on it, bone stock street driven (maybe 1 track event a year) I should have the heads done,, I realize of course you cant give me the odds or % chance of something happening, but based off what you know today. The over dozen motors you've seen blow , those are not just tracked cars, youve seen a lot of street driven ones as well correct?
Mostly we see the valve head failure on cars that have been modified or tracked - about 80%. However, I recently finished an '06 from Utah with 36k on the clock. all street miles never raced - after the valve let loose the only re-usable parts were valve covers.

I'd do it - in fact i did on my own car immediately

if you were closer to me, I'd be calling you to set up an appointment, just based off your willingness and time you've shared here. You have great pricing. ...although by the time I ship you the heads and insure them, and have them pulled and reinstalled it will be cheaper to do local here I imagine.:

drive out - i'll put you up in a nice hotel - but, the gas would be a killer
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by glenB
I noticed you list a trunnion upgrade as part of the service, and I'm not trying to start a pissing contest about doing it or not, but, do you believe or feel that the free play in the factory rocker contributes to the 'excessive' guide wear, is a major factor in the wear or is doing so just a preventive nature thing to shore up a weak spot?

I ask simply because of the varying opinions of other vendors as to the need. I am not seeking a desertion

i like the upgrade because it fully cages the needles and minimizes, if not eliminates the "spilling out" factor.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Remove local, ship the heads

Get notified of new replies

To Video - LS7 Valve Guide Wear

Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19
oh come on now, GM said it's 08 to 11 cars. yours is an 07 and isnt affected. i am sure you will not be in the 1% failure rate of the 06 to 07's. the op is just out to make money off the problem just like carlos was and some of the others that were accused of it. its all internet hysteria. GM will make good on it as long as you are stock. trading in your "white knight" status?

you know i am just giving you crap and its all in fun. its good to see the op's post on this and it continues to confirm the issue and may very well prevent someone from dropping a valve by having the head work done or at least checking their guides.
it's all good... I've got my extra thick flame suit on now and I am sure I will get hazed by a few others for being stubborn and taking a long time to be convinced. I just wanted at least one vendor like RPM did here to give us info as he did.

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
thank you. i don't frequent the site as mush as i should but will try and add more in the future

I know what you mean, although there is a lot of good advice on these forums, just need to filter it

yes, as the cars gain miles and get near end of warranty we are seeing many owners modding or taking preventive measures.

Mostly we see the valve head failure on cars that have been modified or tracked - about 80%. However, I recently finished an '06 from Utah with 36k on the clock. all street miles never raced - after the valve let loose the only re-usable parts were valve covers.

I'd do it - in fact i did on my own car immediately

drive out - i'll put you up in a nice hotel - but, the gas would be a killer
Thanks Charlie and what you said about 80% being modded or tracked cars, that fits I think with what we've seen here on the forum.

Yea I imagine the gas would be brutal in fact between you in CA and me in IL, we have some of the highest gas prices in the country.

Originally Posted by glenB
Remove local, ship the heads
I have not totally ruled out yet shipping my heads to them I'll need to look at insurance/shipping cost. then decide if I want to pull the heads myself , which I certainly can, however I might just have it done for me to save time and hassle .
Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

it's all good... I've got my extra thick flame suit on now and I am sure I will get hazed by a few others for being stubborn and taking a long time to be convinced. I just wanted at least one vendor like RPM did here to give us info as he did.

Thanks Charlie and what you said about 80% being modded or tracked cars, that fits I think with what we've seen here on the forum.

Yea I imagine the gas would be brutal in fact between you in CA and me in IL, we have some of the highest gas prices in the country.

I have not totally ruled out yet shipping my heads to them I'll need to look at insurance/shipping cost. then decide if I want to pull the heads myself , which I certainly can, however I might just have it done for me to save time and hassle .
My heads will be for sale in about 2weeks, I can ship them directly to RPM. We ship alot at work so our rates are alot better than Joe Blow who doesn't have a UPS account
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

it's all good... I've got my extra thick flame suit on now and I am sure I will get hazed by a few others for being stubborn and taking a long time to be convinced. ...
I wouldn't even worry about that. Not at all.

Listen, even GM is admitting that examples of this problem can be expected to show up in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 cars.

If that ain't "widespread" well then I don't know what is.

So if even the manufacturer himself, is coming right out and saying that this matter could show up in an '08, '09, '10 or '11 car, and the manufacturer does not even give the VIN numbers of the cars which might be involved, but rather says that they can "likely" be identified by unusual valve train noise, then at this point, only a complete fool would try and argue that it's not "widespread".

So no, I would not even worry about "changing positions" and the potential repercussions in behind doing so.

Charlie has added information that you didn't have before, and he has done so right in the wake of GM's admission that this matter has been going on from 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011......and there are those who strongly believe, and there is evidence, that it was going on even before then.

If you should decide to get your heads done, in behind the information that Charlie has given you, coupled with the recent events of the last few days coming from GM's own mouth, you don't owe ANYONE in here, not a damn one of us, an explanation.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Video - LS7 Valve Guide Wear