Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Well...heads are coming off....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Dude....somebody spilled rat poison on the top of your motor and said "F#*& it..." Cleaned up what they could.....how about that..
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be moisture absorbent material from a Desiccant pack. Perhaps someone stored the car and placed a few packs in and around the engine to prevent corrosion during storage. The bag could have torn and dropped a few pellets down there. Would be my guess over rat poison.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

The heads were recieved by RPM on Monday afternoon. Im hoping to hear.from Charlie.asap about the overall condition of the wearable parts. Ill post up the results...or maybe Charlie.can if there is lots to discuss.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Its not gasket material....but it is close to the same color. Looks like rat poison...
Are you suggesting that the LS7 is a "rat" motor?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I just finished pulling my heads yesterday. I had planned to run ARP studs, but I'm not so sure about that now. I don't think there is enough clearance to get the heads over the studs while in the car. Anyone know for sure if there's enough clearance or not???

Hey trpblk....those blue things look suspiciously similar to them little blue pecker pills. You wouldn't be having relations with your motor would you?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I just finished pulling my heads yesterday. I had planned to run ARP studs, but I'm not so sure about that now. I don't think there is enough clearance to get the heads over the studs while in the car. Anyone know for sure if there's enough clearance or not???

Hey trpblk....those blue things look suspiciously similar to them little blue pecker pills. You wouldn't be having relations with your motor would you?
There must be. I have ARP studs, and the heads were installed twice with them. Motor has never been out of the car (knock on wood).
Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my heads redone by RPM. All 16 valve guides were replaced. Many of the guides were worn so bad they were outside of the range of the measuring device he uses to measure them. My car was bone stock with 33k miles. I do track the car and it has seen about 30 events.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by C5Lion
I just had my heads redone by RPM. All 16 valve guides were replaced. Many of the guides were worn so bad they were outside of the range of the measuring device he uses to measure them. My car was bone stock with 33k miles. I do track the car and it has seen about 30 events.

Your a smart man for pulling the heads , was just a matter of time b/f your stock LS7 engine would have popped!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm definitly pulling my heads when I get my tax money back.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Update...I talked briefly w Charlie @ RPM today, the heads are disassembled and the news is as we would have thought thus far....things are NOT perfect. Ill post up info as it comes.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Update...I talked briefly w Charlie @ RPM today, the heads are disassembled and the news is as we would have thought thus far....things are NOT perfect. Ill post up info as it comes.
No big surprise there.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Let me guess, worn valve guides
Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Check tjwong's experience with arp bolts coming loose/needing a re-torque.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1579638483
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
sdunn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was expecting bad news. I had my fresh LSX heads redone by richard at wcch. They were run for just minutes on my 454. They had egg shaped wear on the guides. I was truly disappointed to hear for so little run time.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Tsar
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Check tjwong's experience with arp bolts coming loose/needing a re-torque.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1579638483
Most things do. We have pages of re-torques on helicopters after we service or tear down and rebuild one. Never understood why you don't see this in the auto world as much. Guess the industry thinks people would complain.

On another note, I would like to thank the OP for this topic, it's sealed the deal for me to have work done on my heads before they have any issues, I have an 07 (built 07/2006) with 11k miles, I don't expect to see a great deal of wear but an ounce of prevention is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tsar
Most things do. We have pages of re-torques on helicopters after we service or tear down and rebuild one. Never understood why you don't see this in the auto world as much. Guess the industry thinks people would complain.

On another note, I would like to thank the OP for this topic, it's sealed the deal for me to have work done on my heads before they have any issues, I have an 07 (built 07/2006) with 11k miles, I don't expect to see a great deal of wear but an ounce of prevention is worth it's weight in gold.
Of the millions of cars on the road, to my knowledge, none require checking head bolt torque as part of normal maintenance or even a 15,000 mile check up.

Obviously aircraft are subject to different maintenance procedures. I don't think any cars have key nuts safety wired either.

I mention this for the OP's information - he may want to follow up and see about putting some loc-tite on the head bolts as the factory bolts have.

Get notified of new replies

To Well...heads are coming off....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sdunn
I was expecting bad news. I had my fresh LSX heads redone by richard at wcch. They were run for just minutes on my 454. They had egg shaped wear on the guides. I was truly disappointed to hear for so little run time.
Just to be clear...

You had your heads reworked by WCCH, then run on the dyno briefly. Afterwards, you pulled the heads, and found egg shaped wear on the guides already? Were they stock sintered iron guides, or were they replacements?

If this is true, this is the first reported issue with redone heads, I believe, and it puts a serious kink in the theory that the heads/guides are the root cause!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edmundu
Just to be clear...

You had your heads reworked by WCCH, then run on the dyno briefly. Afterwards, you pulled the heads, and found egg shaped wear on the guides already? Were they stock sintered iron guides, or were they replacements?

If this is true, this is the first reported issue with redone heads, I believe, and it puts a serious kink in the theory that the heads/guides are the root cause!!!
At the very least, it suggests that the problem was pre-existing prior to the "minutes" of use: ie the "reworked" heads did not include valve guide replacement? Something is up if you get ovaling after a few minutes of use - something that should not be there after a reputable shop just finished "reworking" those same heads!

Were the heads checked by a different shop after the dyno run, or did WCCH's do both the before-and-after evaluation?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Tsar
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Of the millions of cars on the road, to my knowledge, none require checking head bolt torque as part of normal maintenance or even a 15,000 mile check up.

Obviously aircraft are subject to different maintenance procedures. I don't think any cars have key nuts safety wired either.

I mention this for the OP's information - he may want to follow up and see about putting some loc-tite on the head bolts as the factory bolts have.
The FAST intake on my 99 was torqued and stabilized during install, 100 miles later I did retorques and they all moved. I would think anything that goes through heat cycles, is a rotating part or is subject to vibration and doesn't have thread locker on it should be at leaste torque checked, but when in doubt look in the book.

Aircraft don't use lock tight on anything so we have to use lock nuts, castllated nuts, and of course safety wire..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Well...heads are coming off....