Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is CAGS skip shift eliminator still needed on a Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is CAGS skip shift eliminator still needed on a Z06?

I installed it on my C5... its been so long ago, I forget why it was needed in the first place... wasnt it that the computer locked you out of 1st gear for slow starts or something making you start in 2nd gear?

Is this still a problem with the Z06?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

One-to-Four Shift Light

When this light comes on, you can only shift from FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) instead of FIRST (1) to SECOND (2).

You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to turn off this feature.

This helps you get the best possible fuel economy.

After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift to a lower gear if you prefer.

Notice: Forcing the shift lever into any gear except FOURTH (4) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light comes on may damage the transmission.

Shift only from FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when the light comes on.

This light will come on when:

• The engine coolant temperature is higher than 169°F (76°C),
• the vehicle is going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and
• the vehicle 21 percent throttle or less.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Ahhhh... its all coming back to me now, I liked being the one in control.

Where can I get the CAGS Eliminator specifically for a 2008 Z06?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
NOLUCK13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Ahhhh... its all coming back to me now, I liked being the one in control.

Where can I get the CAGS Eliminator specifically for a 2008 Z06?
http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...tor-p-104.html
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

They are the same for every tranny ever built with it. I have an 09 Z, and it was more intrusive than my 08 LS3 was - not sure why. I put on the CAGS eliminator - I really hate it when it kicks in.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

There's a new option: the CAGS resistor fuse:
Here's the thread and a link to my page.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I, too, had it on my C5 and I was prepared to put it on this Z06. After I got it I have not found a need for it. The CAGS programming seems to be much less aggressive than it was on my C5. Anyway, I have only seen the light once in almost a year. So for me, it hasn't even been an issue.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leres
You've got to be kidding. Is this a labor day April fools joke. The ECM looks for the skip shift solenoid's(or other) 2.2k load resistance. Adding more series resistance, is just like removing the fuse. Of course you know this, but it's still pretty funny.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
You've got to be kidding. Is this a labor day April fools joke. The ECM looks for the skip shift solenoid's(or other) 2.2k load resistance. Adding more series resistance, is just like removing the fuse. Of course you know this, but it's still pretty funny.
Adding more series resistance is exactly that; you still have a circuit. The ECM is not looking for a specific resistance, it's looking for current load when power is applied.

The solenoid is actually 24 ohms, not 2.2K. The combined series load about 2.4K ohms so the ECM sees only 5mA and thinks everything is still ok. But it's not enough current to energize the solenoid.

The fuse is still in the circuit and will definitely blow if you attempt to draw more than 10A.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
I, too, had it on my C5 and I was prepared to put it on this Z06. After I got it I have not found a need for it. The CAGS programming seems to be much less aggressive than it was on my C5. Anyway, I have only seen the light once in almost a year. So for me, it hasn't even been an issue.
8K miles in every possible condition and it has never come on

DH
Old 08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Keyser Soze
Instructor

When the conditions are met my shifter sticks and won't go anywhere, but back into first. I didn't want to take it to the dealer so I bought a CAGS bypass. I just need to find a way to jack up the rear of my car to get it installed.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
When the conditions are met my shifter sticks and won't go anywhere, but back into first. I didn't want to take it to the dealer so I bought a CAGS bypass. I just need to find a way to jack up the rear of my car to get it installed.
Mine too. I got a tune and had him get rid of it.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Adding more series resistance is exactly that; you still have a circuit. The ECM is not looking for a specific resistance, it's looking for current load when power is applied.

The solenoid is actually 24 ohms, not 2.2K. The combined series load about 2.4K ohms so the ECM sees only 5mA and thinks everything is still ok. But it's not enough current to energize the solenoid.

The fuse is still in the circuit and will definitely blow if you attempt to draw more than 10A.
I got it now. I never really knew the solenoid resistance, just the 2.2k short resistor used in most CAG's defeat plugs. Your resistor fuse is doing the same thing with the added 1% coil resistance being nothing. Sorry about the smart *** comment and have to say, you've got a pretty cool little idea there. I went the $350 Predator tuner route on my car, getting rid of the shift light.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:42 PM
qualitycare
Racer

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
Same here! I don't currently have a jack either so here's how I installed mine. While backing out of my driveway I allowed the rear driver wheel to mount the ascending curb and parked it there. The 6" curb allowed me enough clearance to shimmy under from the rear of the car and install the bypass. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Keyser Soze
Instructor

Originally Posted by qualitycare
Same here! I don't currently have a jack either so here's how I installed mine. While backing out of my driveway I allowed the rear driver wheel to mount the ascending curb and parked it there. The 6" curb allowed me enough clearance to shimmy under from the rear of the car and install the bypass. Hope this helps.

The guy at West Coast Corvettess suggested your idea, but I've got a common driveway with my neighbor and we have trees at each side of the driveways. I guess I'll have to check out some of my friends' driveways.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
dpopok
6th Gear

Here's my 2 cents worth - since I have the same question.

I bought a new 2008 z06 only 4 weeks ago.

I have deliberately tried to make it skip shift by trying to make sure all 3of the conditions are met. I know for sure I was between 15 and 19 mph, and I know the coolant was above 169 degrees. I don't know the %throttle. I can consistently shift from 1st to 2nd under these conditions as I accelerate slowly from 16 to 18 mph or decelerate slowly from 18 to 16 mph.

No skip shift. I'll use CAGS elimination if I need it, but I'm not convinced I need it.

Before buying the z06, I test drove a used 05 c6 and did have the skip shift experience, so I know what to expect.

Does the z06 transmission gearing make it hard to meet the skip shift criteria?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by dpopok
I have deliberately tried to make it skip shift by trying to make sure all 3of the conditions are met. I know for sure I was between 15 and 19 mph, and I know the coolant was above 169 degrees. I don't know the %throttle. I can consistently shift from 1st to 2nd under these conditions as I accelerate slowly from 16 to 18 mph or decelerate slowly from 18 to 16 mph.

No skip shift. I'll use CAGS elimination if I need it, but I'm not convinced I need it.

Before buying the z06, I test drove a used 05 c6 and did have the skip shift experience, so I know what to expect.

Does the z06 transmission gearing make it hard to meet the skip shift criteria?
It's the throttle that makes it' difficult; the Z06 calibration disables skip shift at 13%. Try this:
http://www.xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html

CAGS is one of those things that can be difficult to demonstrate on command. Here's a recipe that should help:
  • Bring the car up to temperature and find a safe area
  • Come to a complete stop
  • Launch with constant and minimal throttle
  • Wait for 15 MPH and the "1 4" instrument cluster indicator
As it turns out, you can actually launch any manual transmission car with no throttle. This is an actual exercise used at Spring Mountain to familiarize students with the exact point of clutch engagement.
If the light doesn't come on, you're doing something wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Is CAGS skip shift eliminator still needed on a Z06?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
TomAm
Advanced

The CAGS feature only works when you start from a complete stop.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Works like a charm. I did this last week
Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by xcutter
Works like a charm. I did this last week
BTW, there's now an express solution with no soldering:
Here's how it works. Go out to your local chain parts store and pick up a two-pack of Littelfuse Smart Fuses. Take one out, blow it and then install it in the fuseblock. Complete details are available on my CAGS page. There's also a discussion here: The CAGS LED Fuse.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is CAGS skip shift eliminator still needed on a Z06?