Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Roll cage for Z06...as agreed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:50 AM
dartdart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll cage for Z06...as agreed

Well my wife has agreed to let me get the Z06 again after my total.
The only condition is I have to have a roll cage installed before pick up.

I will also be attending Spring Mountian and intend to track the car and no long use it as a daily driver.

Any after market companies do a bolt on cage or one that requires drilling and welding but is pre-cut to Z06 spec?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dartdart; 12-28-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 AM
fa63
Instructor

A roll cage in a C6 Z06 is no easy (or cheap) feat because of the aluminum frame; just giving you a heads up. There are a few companies that have done it so far (MTI in Atlanta is one that I can think of off the top of my head). Good luck.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Re: roll bar/cage

What a great idea.

You have PM.

Cheers

R
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Z06C6R/Z06C5R
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 Rollcage

MTI..Reese ***... very good setup.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

I also wrecked my C6Z at the NASA Nationals last year. While the whole rear end was being repaired, I had the metal plates bolted to the alum. frame to alow for the welding of a cage. MTI's roll bar is only for the rear compartment, not a full cage. I had a complete cage done. Alot of prep work has do be done just to get to the six areas you bolt on the sleel plate. Gas tanks have to be removed, about $800 labor.

If you want more details, PM me.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dartdart

Any after market companies do a bolt on cage or one that requires drilling and welding but is pre-cut to Z06 spec?
No. or not one you really want.

The aluminum frame takes specail care to install cages. Steel can not be welded to alumiumum. Specal plates, drilling, and bolting are needed.

There are a few race shops that have put cages into Z06s. and a few shops that have recked Z06 frames attempting to put cages in as well.

It is along process, over 200 man hours to install a proper roll cage into the Z. The prices I would guess are not inexpesive.

Once the cage is in, the Z wont be a DD anymore. Phoenix Performance has done several cages in the New Z, let alone they are the #1 T1 corvette converter / race prep shop in the country.

A few guys who have Zs are now looking at or have purchased a stock C6, putting a cage in and a LS7.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked into this very seriously before I started my race car project.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1566774

To do the cage properly will cost you 3 times the money of a normal Corvette. It is very labor intensive on the Z06.

With a roll cage you will no longer be able to drive it on the street unless you want to wear a helmet.

Also, if it is going to be a dedicated track car, you are going to need a lot more than just a cage.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm actually all for what you're doing.
It's nice to see somebody spend money on a safety mod before a performance mod!
Just trying to give you some warning that there will be more expenses involved than just a cage.

Good Luck!

PM sent

Mike
Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Start with a tube frame. It will be cheaper!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Painrace
Start with a tube frame. It will be cheaper!
Take a stock C6 or C5Z. Convert to a T1 car, $25,000 for full race prep which is more then just a cage.

Then add the LS7 or LS2( 427) and parts $15,000 or so.

Or purchase a used race car for $50,000 and be done with it.

Tube frame, LG will sell you a one year old slightly used World Challange corvette for $185,000
Old 12-28-2006, 12:32 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm actually all for what you're doing.
It's nice to see somebody spend money on a safety mod before a performance mod!
Just trying to give you some warning that there will be more expenses involved than just a cage.
I would listen to Short-Snowball, he has given this more thought and research than you can imagine (and he is a pretty clever chap, to boot ).
Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I would listen to Short-Snowball, he has given this more thought and research than you can imagine (and he is a pretty clever chap, to boot ).
Allan.....

How nice of you to take time out of your busy12 month racing season to remind me that I'm still in hibernation! ...........

Have a safe 2007 pal!

Mike
Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

If you are going to take away the advantage of the weight saving alluminum frame by putting steel roll bars in, you should save your money and energy and buy a regular c6 Vette where you can put a cage in alot more easily, drop an LS7 or build the LS2 and do a wide body conversion. Build a 575rwhp motor to make up for the extra weight. You could build a safer and faster car for less money. I would guess a cage done right on an alluminum frame would be in the $5k+ range.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dartdart
Well my wife has agreed to let me get the Z06 again after my total.
The only condition is I have to have a roll cage installed before pick up.

I will also be attending Spring Mountian and intend to track the car and no long use it as a daily driver.

Thanks in advance!

Did you total the racing it or driving on the street,roll cages are not practicle for the street.

A Z06 is a very safe car,why is your wife paranoid with a ZO6
Old 12-28-2006, 01:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GN1270
. I would guess a cage done right on an alluminum frame would be in the $5k+ range.
A steel cage on steel frame, done right cost in the $7K to $10,000 range. Double, minimum, for the Z06 Cage.

Here are some excelent pictures: http://www.jpracecars.com/roadracing.htm

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-28-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Alternative to welding?

The "roll bar" I had fabricated for my 06 Z06 worked well for track and open road racing.Basically a hoop,harness bar and struts bonded to the chassis using custom brackets held in place by rivets and glue.

Cheers

R

mail me for pictures.
<<rolandrothATmac.com<<
Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I would guess a cage done right on an alluminum frame would be in the $5k+ range.
not even remotely close.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
A steel cage on steel frame, done right cost in the $7K to $10,000 range. Double, minimum, for the Z06 Cage.

Here are some excelent pictures: http://www.jpracecars.com/roadracing.htm
Not only do but I know. I've priced it and as Tom said here .......done right....... is what makes it costly.
Impaling among other disasters result from an improper install.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

not even remotely close.

Not only do but I know. I've priced it and as Tom said here .......done right....... is what makes it costly.
Impaling among other disasters result from an improper install.
Geez, I put $5k PLUS. I'm sure you can find someone who will bend $200 in pipes for $5k. That is why cage prices fluctuate so much. It is almost all labor. I am sure big tuner shops with good names will charge that much, but I am also sure that there are compentent cage builders out there who can do it cheaper, especially since labor costs in the US per hour fluctuate so much. It will also depend if he wants a bar, or a cage, 6 pt, 8pt, 10 pt, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll cage for Z06...as agreed

Old 12-28-2006, 02:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Geez, I put $5k PLUS. I'm sure you can find someone who will bend $200 in pipes for $5k. That is why cage prices fluctuate so much. It is almost all labor. I am sure big tuner shops with good names will charge that much, but I am also sure that there are compentent cage builders out there who can do it cheaper, especially since labor costs in the US per hour fluctuate so much. It will also depend if he wants a bar, or a cage, 6 pt, 8pt, 10 pt, etc.
No offecne but if the cage is done properly which means to SCCA Specs. I have seen little 6 point bolt in cages with swing out door bars, that arn't woth the cost of the steel they were made from.

Take a look at the pictures on the link I posted here: http://www.jpracecars.com/roadracing.htm

Come on guys, SAFTEY is not done on the cheap. Do it right the frist time. You may not get a second chance.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Geez, I put $5k PLUS. I'm sure you can find someone who will bend $200 in pipes for $5k.
I wasn't jumping on you, just informing you that you were way low.

You can do a nice cage for 5-7 grand, but not in a Z06 and not safely.

If you look at most cages, it not just the bending of pipe you are paying for. There are many cages out there that are cheap because of sub-par welding. You want the car to collapse, not the cage.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Allan.....

How nice of you to take time out of your busy12 month racing season to remind me that I'm still in hibernation! ...........

Have a safe 2007 pal!

Mike
Well, if you don't trailer your project car to SoCal during the winter (once its done) - you can always bring it down here to TX:
http://www.eaglescanyon.com/index.htm

This looks like its gonna be a kick-a** track (FIA certification in process) - and its only about a 30 min drive from my house

"FORMULA ONE DRIVING COACH AND TRACK DESIGNER PUTS HIS STAMP OF APPROVAL ON EAGLES CANYON RACEWAY.

Slidell TX- Renowned F1 racing coach and the principal designer of Eagles Canyon Raceway, Rob Wilson, visited the facility from London for the first time since paving began. “You walk the land, you spend numerous hours on paper, you make changes and adjustments, but you really don’t know how a track will function until you can actually drive it” stated Wilson. “We are very fortunate, Eagles Canyon is superb. David and Linda Cook have taken the time and effort to do this right. They have spared no expense on the pre-paving preparation; this will pay big benefits for years and years to come” he continued."
I will show you around Big D if you've never been here before

I know I'm gonna live at that track (spectator) once it opens...should be some pretty serious driving going on

Quick Reply: [Z06] Roll cage for Z06...as agreed