C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive tried a lot of the remedies. They help for a little bit but the creeking sound always comes back. I think living on an inclined driveway makes it that much worse for me. Ive honestly just learned to deal with the noise. Jay
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by C6CentVette
I had to shim my trim so it wouldn't happen again.
My trim had a cut on top I filled with black silicone, but it's not touching the top. Probably a careless install at the factory or something.

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Took the pins out and put in a Allen bolt through the header. The hole is already there
Do yo have pics of that? So you basically installed the top like Z06s? I like that . But besides pics, more specifics like bolt length and thread size. By the way, my pins are solid, but one front has 1 shim washer and the other 2. That's weird, no? And did you mean using those shims, or different ones? Would like to see pics to know what you're talking about. Don't want to remove the freaking roof again until I'm ready to do what you did. I'm trying to sell the car, so will wait to see what happens. Thanks for the help .
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
My trim had a cut on top I filled with black silicone, but it's not touching the top. Probably a careless install at the factory or something.

Do yo have pics of that? So you basically installed the top like Z06s? I like that . But besides pics, more specifics like bolt length and thread size. By the way, my pins are solid, but one front has 1 shim washer and the other 2. That's weird, no? And did you mean using those shims, or different ones? Would like to see pics to know what you're talking about. Don't want to remove the freaking roof again until I'm ready to do what you did. I'm trying to sell the car, so will wait to see what happens. Thanks for the help .
not much to take a picture of i layed the washers (maybe 3 each side) over the hole in the header just enough to let the roof line up with the header when the bolts were tight. with no washers the roof will bottom out on the header too far down past the top of the windshield. so its trial & error custom fit you can take the header pins to a hardware store
to get the right thread size i believe i used 1 1/4 inch length
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default roof panel noisey

Mine are hard to close. tried lubing. roof seams to make noise at the rear of the roof panal

Originally Posted by village idiot
are your levers (above visors) hard to close?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:48 PM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDoherty
I have a 2008 Base 3LT coupe. The problem I am having is a creaking sound from the top not a squeak. I have rubbed silicone grease all along the rubber seals but it has not helped. Any suggestions?
Joe:

Your 2008 may have the c-clip issue reported lots of other places. My 2012 top was horrible until I started using Super Lube on all the front latch parts. See the link below for my thread on this. It has solved a real problem on my Vette for several months now. Hopefully it will help you the same way.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1585933028
Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Crawler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I haven't seen here as a potential fix has been the C7 roof pin bushings.

They are extra thick and conical.

I have swapped to these on my car and a number of friends. Of course all roof pins need to be checked for tightness (18lb/ft) and seals should be lubricated annually.

Depending on the condition of the latches some people can swap these on as is, others will need to trim them down slightly, as they are super thick.

Remove the factory o-ring from the C6 post and slide this in place.

My roof only creaks on hard bumps or with major chassis twist. Used to it would creak driving low speed over any imperfection. It's not the end all solution for everybody. But will fix a lot of the creak complaints.

Should cost 6-7 bucks at your local dealer.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Heatshrink tubing on the front and rear pins is the answer to the problem. Just slip it on and heat it until it shrinks around the metal pins, two on the front, two on the back. use the C-clip for extra insurance, but the heat shrink does the trick. I went through all the rest of the fixes on my new to me 2008 vette. Wish I had done the heat shrink first.

Edit: New orings are needed also. For clarity, here is a listing of the three items needed:

#31 O-Rings (10-Pack)
Model # 96745
Store SKU # 584164

3/8 in. Black Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing (3-Pack)
Model # HST-375B
Store SKU # 154106

3/16 in. Plain E-Clip (2-Pieces)
Model # 43638
Store SKU # 568622

Total cost was $5.14 at my local Home Depot.

Last edited by jedblanks; 04-23-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,762 Likes on 3,178 Posts

i left nothing to chance.. Pulled transparent top due to "creak and pop" noticed the pins were only hand tight, fixed and lubed.. while i was there i tightened the "J" hook at the rear clamp up two turns (due to it not having "alot" of tension on it) and i also lubed the rear pins, weatherstrips and everything i could lol... Low and behold, fixed!! Thank GOD
Old 04-26-2014, 06:21 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line is the handles at the front are squeeking and all you can do is unscrew them and lube the crap out of them with a high temp grease .The top gets hot and the grease melts out of the handles and causes the creaking all over again.grease usually good for a few mths.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:36 AM
JoeDoherty
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
Bottom line is the handles at the front are squeeking and all you can do is unscrew them and lube the crap out of them with a high temp grease .The top gets hot and the grease melts out of the handles and causes the creaking all over again.grease usually good for a few mths.
Thanks for all the replays. I used the o rings on the front pins and it cured most of the creaking.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDoherty
I have a 2008 Base 3LT coupe. The problem I am having is a creaking sound from the top not a squeak. I have rubbed silicone grease all along the rubber seals but it has not helped. Any suggestions?
when you get into the car, try simply unlatching and latching the top clamps. I've discovered that it creaks more when I leave it out in the hot sun. Usually it's quiet right after I do that. My guess is that the different plastics in the top expand causing the creaks. I think the unlatching helps relieve some of the pressure.

Quick Reply: Creaking Top