C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a 2005 C6 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM
AQWIKZ
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default just bought a 2005 C6 Z51

well like all the mod bug has started Again!!!
I just moved from a C5 into a C6. yesterday I installed with a friends
help the LS7 exhaust manifolds and H pipe. Can definitely feel a difference. this is on a completely stock motor!! I am wondering if it worth changing to the LS7 air intake, I know that you have to change
the maf,LS3 or Ls7 type, with harness and tune. as I live in California,
need to stay legal, I believe this should flow very well on the Ls2 and keep stock looking. Is this worth it?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Enjoy!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MIKESREDZ
well like all the mod bug has started Again!!!
I just moved from a C5 into a C6. yesterday I installed with a friends
help the LS7 exhaust manifolds and H pipe. Can definitely feel a difference. this is on a completely stock motor!! I am wondering if it worth changing to the LS7 air intake, I know that you have to change
the maf,LS3 or Ls7 type, with harness and tune. as I live in California,
need to stay legal, I believe this should flow very well on the Ls2 and keep stock looking. Is this worth it?

Thanks,

Mike
Welcome to the c6 club!

They are great.

A maf conversion isn't worth the bother until you get above 500 rwhp.

The best bang for the buck mods for you would be a cold air intake (your factory air cleaner is restrictive) the cool air makes a huge difference in the amount of timing the car can use. You'll feel that mod.

The next mod would be a tune, it'll provide even more power you can feel.

If you are a manual my next recommended mod is a set of 4:10 gears. Can't beat them for making the car feel (and be) quicker.

Here is my thread with all my mods overlaid on a dyno sheet, and dyno sheets with the effect of gears, all laid out for you to peruse.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Decided yesterday to overlay all my mods since I've self tuned and dyno'ed each time I did major mods.

I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

See below. Each line represents progressive mods:
1. stock;
2. headers & tune (3.90 gears at same time);
3. G5x3 cam & .040 gaskets (11.4 compression);
4. FAST, and
5. used AFR 205 heads.

What strikes me is how dramatic the gains from headers and a tune were. Combined with the gears, it felt like a different car, and I got a full second + 10 mph in the 1/4 from those mods, from 12.9@108 to 11.8@118. The car was dead nuts reliable at this level.

The second take away is how all the remaining mods really only mattered from 4500 on. Thus I very seldom notice them on the street, only on the track. Not counting the cool sound of the cam.

Mods 3-5 did take off another second and added 10 mph - to 10.8@128. But it cost a lot more and I broke a diff and two transmissions on my way.

This graph shows what I've been saying for while; headers, tune and gears give you by far the best bang for the buck from idle to redline, the remaining mods only matter from 4500 on. Most street driving is below 3000 rpm...you do feel gears and headers even at that level.

Hope someone finds this useful as they decide upon mods.

I need to add...without question...the best mod for return on $$ is...

SEAT TIME.

And personally, I find that mod the most rewarding.

Another item Tommy kindly reminded me of, is weight reduction.

If you are drag racing, you can expect .1 to .15 from putting skinny tires up front (saving 50 lbs+ of rotating weight) and taking out your passenger seat (53 lbs).
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike, you did a tight C5 FRC, I'm lovin it, I know your going to have a really nice well thought out C6
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

As you start to mod, take a look at the FAST 102 for your LS2 engine. I was very happy with mine - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...st-intake.html
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

What's your budget? Is it going to be a street or strip car primarily? If I still had an LS2 car I'd definitely look into an LS3 top end conversion.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM
AQWIKZ
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

this is my daily driver and I have the Ls7 exhaust and air intake, with tune, I have to keep smog legal here in Ca. The next thing is to get the vette-air intake ram air installed, then port the LS2 intake.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKESREDZ
this is my daily driver and I have the Ls7 exhaust and air intake, with tune, I have to keep smog legal here in Ca. The next thing is to get the vette-air intake ram air installed, then port the LS2 intake.
If it is legal in CA, buy a FAST intake manifold and have it ported, do not waste your money on a ported stock intake. You will gain more HP/TQ down low with the FAST.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
If it is legal in CA, buy a FAST intake manifold and have it ported, do not waste your money on a ported stock intake. You will gain more HP/TQ down low with the FAST.
This.. The LS2 intake sucks monkey *****. You're better off buying a FAST. I know engine swaps are illegal in Cali, but more than a few people have LS3 top ends..you're just changing heads and intake it will still operate the same....mostly.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the c6 club!

They are great.

A maf conversion isn't worth the bother until you get above 500 rwhp.

The best bang for the buck mods for you would be a cold air intake (your factory air cleaner is restrictive) the cool air makes a huge difference in the amount of timing the car can use. You'll feel that mod.

The next mod would be a tune, it'll provide even more power you can feel.

If you are a manual my next recommended mod is a set of 4:10 gears. Can't beat them for making the car feel (and be) quicker.

Here is my thread with all my mods overlaid on a dyno sheet, and dyno sheets with the effect of gears, all laid out for you to peruse.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html

what kind of gains from a cold air, and a tune?

and what gains if you throw a catback in there?

thanks.

will be buying an 05 Z-51 very soon!!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
what kind of gains from a cold air, and a tune?

and what gains if you throw a catback in there?

thanks.

will be buying an 05 Z-51 very soon!!
Cold air could give you 20 hp or more and .2 and 2 mph on the track. The stock tune pulls 12 degrees of timing with IAT's at 120 or so, and IAT's are always there without a CAI.

Catback will not give you any gain.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Cold air could give you 20 hp or more and .2 and 2 mph on the track. The stock tune pulls 12 degrees of timing with IAT's at 120 or so, and IAT's are always there without a CAI.

Catback will not give you any gain.

Thanks,
Joe

so is that 20 rwhp with cai and a tune?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

so is that 20 rwhp with cai and a tune?
Tune will give even more. In warm normal weather a CAI really shines on an 05.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tune will give even more. In warm normal weather a CAI really shines on an 05.
Wow. I had no idea a cai could get those kind of numbers on an 05 without a tune. Which one did you see that with? Halltech?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Wow. I had no idea a cai could get those kind of numbers on an 05 without a tune. Which one did you see that with? Halltech?
They are all good if they provide cool air. I like the Vararam. Don't bother with the ones that just draw hot air from the engine compartment like stock.

The magic is because the stock tune pulls timing so aggressively with relatively low inlet air temp. Giving the car cooler air gives it a lot more timing and in turn a lot more power. At 152 IAT (which is what your IAT will be sitting at the tree) the car pulls 12 degrees of timing which is about 1/2 of your normal commanded timing.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
05Z51C6
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
On my 05, I have Vararam, Nxt Step Performance axle back, and tune. Those three things netted me 360 hp / 359 tq (SAE). CAI really shows up more at the track than a dyno. I wish I had dyno'd the car bone stock and then swapped in the Vararam and some more pulls to find out my true gains on the dyno from it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 05Z51C6
On my 05, I have Vararam, Nxt Step Performance axle back, and tune. Those three things netted me 360 hp / 359 tq (SAE). CAI really shows up more at the track than a dyno. I wish I had dyno'd the car bone stock and then swapped in the Vararam and some more pulls to find out my true gains on the dyno from it.
Gains on the dyno would be minimal as the hood is open so the car is breathing ambient air.

The magic of the CAI is it gives ambient air pretty much all the time. Underhood air is really hot, I've got scans to prove it. Oddly enough my Minivan and F150 both have factory CAI...can't imagine why the Vette does not. Doesn't seem the C7 does either.

Here's the IAT timing table. Look at how low it kicks in and removes timing.

Get notified of new replies

To just bought a 2005 C6 Z51

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

They are all good if they provide cool air. I like the Vararam. Don't bother with the ones that just draw hot air from the engine compartment like stock.

The magic is because the stock tune pulls timing so aggressively with relatively low inlet air temp. Giving the car cooler air gives it a lot more timing and in turn a lot more power. At 152 IAT (which is what your IAT will be sitting at the tree) the car pulls 12 degrees of timing which is about 1/2 of your normal commanded timing.

Do they just offer one Vararam for the 05, and is it a pita to install?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Do they just offer one Vararam for the 05, and is it a pita to install?
They've revised it over the years.

Here's a how to but DO NOT remove the shroud...that is an unnecessary, and huge pain. Just cut it in place.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...raram-cai.html

Two tips for you.

1. don't cut your ac condensor. only use a little bit of the utility knife to cut the shroud, it cuts like butter, you don't need to stick the whole blade out and the condensor is close to the shroud up at the top.

2. pay attention to the template on where to cut - you have to cut the dotted lines on the bottom of the template to clear the ***** on the bottom of shroud, so that the front line of the template abuts against the crash bar.

Made a thread in 2007 about it, here's the picture I to explain what I just wrote:

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

^^^ wow that was in 2006 when I did that...7 years ago. Where has the time gone.

My OE clutch is still going strong...72000 miles and 494 launches later. LOL

Quick Reply: just bought a 2005 C6 Z51