C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Intake Next Mod or LS3 Upper End?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Fast Intake Next Mod or LS3 Upper End?

I've installed LG headers, hiflo cats and Xpipe as well as a Vararam CAI on my 06, LS2, 6 auto. I had Billy Boat axle backs but they were way too loud for my taste, so I'm back to stock axle backs. I would like to have a set of Corsa Touring axlebacks at some time, but I understand there's very little HP increase in that route compared to other possible mods and I don't happen to have an extra $1500 laying around for no HP gain.

My personal best has been 12.298@118 which is decent for what I've done. I was running 17" DRs as well. The MPH indicates great HP compared to some others on the fast list with similar mods.

I am thinking of the Fast intake, but don't know much about it. If I go with that bolt on, do I need a different throttlebody? If I need both, that's a pretty expensive mod. I understand the LS3 and LS2 Fast intakes are significantly different.

I've read elsewhere that an LS3 intake and upper end will make a significant HP improvement. Those intakes are relatively easy to come by used. What's all involved with that?

Some of you who have gone this route, please chime in with recommendations....thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get a converter before getting a FAST. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-1-4-mile.html
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

If you change to an ls3 top end (heads,intake),you will need to get new headers....cathedral port vs. rectangular port. I would go with the fast 102,you can use your stock throttlebody and have it ported....made a huge differance on mine.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
If you change to an ls3 top end (heads,intake),you will need to get new headers....cathedral port vs. rectangular port. I would go with the fast 102,you can use your stock throttlebody and have it ported....made a huge differance on mine.
The headers shouldn't need to be changed. LG shows the same part number for all years of C6.

Here is a pic of the slight difference in exhaust ports between LS2/3/7.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/sh...php/photo/2361
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I hadnt heard of any headers that would work for both types of ports.....but if thats the case,an Ls3 top end would be a cost effective mod
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the addition of a ported fast was one of the best mods i did
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

You have not mentioned a tune. With the Air Intake and headers, i think a tune is in order.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
I've installed LG headers, hiflo cats and Xpipe as well as a Vararam CAI on my 06, LS2, 6 auto. I had Billy Boat axle backs but they were way too loud for my taste, so I'm back to stock axle backs. I would like to have a set of Corsa Touring axlebacks at some time, but I understand there's very little HP increase in that route compared to other possible mods and I don't happen to have an extra $1500 laying around for no HP gain.

My personal best has been 12.298@118 which is decent for what I've done. I was running 17" DRs as well. The MPH indicates great HP compared to some others on the fast list with similar mods.

I am thinking of the Fast intake, but don't know much about it. If I go with that bolt on, do I need a different throttlebody? If I need both, that's a pretty expensive mod. I understand the LS3 and LS2 Fast intakes are significantly different.

I've read elsewhere that an LS3 intake and upper end will make a significant HP improvement. Those intakes are relatively easy to come by used. What's all involved with that?

Some of you who have gone this route, please chime in with recommendations....thanks.
you will pick up as much hp with the Fast 102 ported as you would going to the LS3 set up.a lot less work and you can use your tb. my car has run 3 tenths quicker than yours without the Fast on stock run flats. have not been to track since Fast installed but it did pick up 65 rwhp with Fast and headers.

Last edited by irok; 01-27-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Leo z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cathedral ports are only on the intake side. The exhaust ports are all the same and would take the same headers.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Leo z51
The Cathedral ports are only on the intake side. The exhaust ports are all the same and would take the same headers.
thanks! i didnt know that. learning as i go along
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
huggerorange73
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'm kicking around the same thing.....I think I'm rolling with the Fast & a nice stall.

Glad to see you sold the Camaro and put yourself back in a real car!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Alvin@PCMofNC
Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have the car breathing well with a vararam and headers, my next move would be a torque converter (greatly cuts down e/t and gets you ready for a cam), followed by a cam, followed by heads, followed by a FAST mani if you're still feeling froggy.

Or, if the budget allows... supercharger!!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
Since you have the car breathing well with a vararam and headers, my next move would be a torque converter (greatly cuts down e/t and gets you ready for a cam), followed by a cam, followed by heads, followed by a FAST mani if you're still feeling froggy.

what are the specs on a (not to lopey) blower cam....ballpark range?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

what are the specs on a (not to lopey) blower cam....ballpark range?
Low to mid 220's on the intake and upper 220's to low 230's on the exhaust with a 115-117lsa would work great.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC

I agree with this except I'd do the FAST on an ls2 before the heads. This is the order to mod a C6.

I have a thread showing these mods overlaid on the dyno sheet. They build upon each other.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jon6.0
Low to mid 220's on the intake and upper 220's to low 230's on the exhaust with a 115-117lsa would work great.
would you need to upgrade springs,rockers,pushrods,ect to run those cams? would like to go tfs 225's eventually or port the 243's...but $$$. will go s/c eventually,just need to go in stages.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

would you need to upgrade springs,rockers,pushrods,ect to run those cams? would like to go tfs 225's eventually or port the 243's...but $$$. will go s/c eventually,just need to go in stages.
Rockers just do the Comp trunion upgrade to your stock rockers. If you do Trick Flow heads you should have AI build them so they can put in the powdered metal guides that let you run the stock rockers. Off the shelf TFS heads require a roller rocker. I don't like roller rockers for LS stuff because they generally are heavier over the nose than a stock rocker. Less weight moving around is better.

As far as springs go, that depends on ramp rate and lift whether you can run a good single or need dual springs. You can specify wanting to run a single spring and the cam can be designed around that. Pushrods will also need to happen. The .080" wall Comp pushrods are more than adequate.

If you are going to boost the motor eventually you need to be honest with yourself on how much boost you are going to run. Less than 10-12 psi and you will be okay with stock castings and an LS9 head gasket. Over that amount and I would recommend an aftermarket casting with a thick deck for better gasket seal.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast Intake Next Mod or LS3 Upper End?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Since your question was a FAST or LS3 heads, the order is the important part, assuming you'll eventurally do both.

If you do the LS3 heads first, then when you get ready for a FAST, you'll buy the one for the LS3 and have the stock LS3 manifold left over.

If you do the FAST first, then when you get ready for the heads, the choice becomes sticking with the LS2 FAST and reworking your LS2 heads, or going with LS3 heads and buying a new FAST.

The less expensive direction is the LS3 heads first. The downtime is also shorter, moreso if you decide to port the LS3 heads.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by berk4422
You have not mentioned a tune. With the Air Intake and headers, i think a tune is in order.
Forgot to mention: I have an email tune that worked well since it takes off some of the nannys and eliminates the oxygen sensor light. I intend to do a true dyno tune at DynoSpeed in Memphis once I finish this next mod. Last time I did this, same email tuner and same dyno tuner, I picked up 18 hp and 18 fpt with no other changes.

Originally Posted by irok
you will pick up as much hp with the Fast 102 ported as you would going to the LS3 set up.a lot less work and you can use your tb. my car has run 3 tenths quicker than yours without the Fast on stock run flats. have not been to track since Fast installed but it did pick up 65 rwhp with Fast and headers.
Gees, that's really impressive! From the majority of answers, it looks like the Fast is cheaper, easier and equal to other mods in power increase.

Originally Posted by huggerorange73
I'm kicking around the same thing.....I think I'm rolling with the Fast & a nice stall.

Glad to see you sold the Camaro and put yourself back in a real car!
If you watch my ParisTNDude videos, the Camaro was a heck of a performer with a few mods, but you're right...when I drove off the lot with the Vette, I knew I made the right choice. Strange though, the Camaro5 crowd are not that fond of the Fast intake and the dyno numbers seem to show it a low priority mod. Thanks for the comment.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I agree with this except I'd do the FAST on an ls2 before the heads. This is the order to mod a C6.

I have a thread showing these mods overlaid on the dyno sheet. They build upon each other.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html
Great advice and a good post on your mods. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Since your question was a FAST or LS3 heads, the order is the important part, assuming you'll eventurally do both.

If you do the LS3 heads first, then when you get ready for a FAST, you'll buy the one for the LS3 and have the stock LS3 manifold left over.

If you do the FAST first, then when you get ready for the heads, the choice becomes sticking with the LS2 FAST and reworking your LS2 heads, or going with LS3 heads and buying a new FAST.

The less expensive direction is the LS3 heads first. The downtime is also shorter, moreso if you decide to port the LS3 heads.
See...that's why this forum is so important! I would have probably made a huge mistake on my own. Thanks.

All of the comments are super helpful, thanks...now find me a reasonably priced used Fast LSXR!

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 01-28-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
06CSIX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast 102 on ls2 20-25rwhp on a ls3 5-10rwhp and the intakes are the same price so on a new camaro they wouldn't be as popular. I used to have a iom 2010 ss what camaro did you have?

Quick Reply: Fast Intake Next Mod or LS3 Upper End?