C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic stalling on freeway...please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Brian05
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic stalling on freeway...please help

Im a new corvette owner. I switched from a Saleen mustang to a 2005 auto convertible. My wife and I love the car. We have had the car about 5 months. Over the corse of time our stalling problem is getting worse and worse. The first month we had the car, the stalling happened once. A couple months ago it was stalling 3 to 4 times in a month. Yesterday it shut off 5 times in a 5 mile span. We do not drive the car hard. The car has a CAI, borla exhaust and it is programmed on a hypertech chip. 2 months ago we had the push buttom ignition switched replaced because it went inside the dash. It is scary driving on the freeway and have the car completely shut off. After the car shuts off it turns on to accessory mode and the dash says to shift to park. The car fires up right away with no problems. I'm thinking maybe a fuel pump or the ignition? Car has 47 k miles.
Thanks for any input!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

corvettes pop CEL whenever it sees a problem. your not getting check engine light i assume or you would had said you are. i would have codes and code history read. hope that something would be there to point to the problem.

how old is your battery? connections cleaned ok?

comment: i doubt its fuel as there are lots of CEL for that nor normal ignition problem as again lots of codes for that too. sounds more like your losing total power, you replaced start button so are you positive its reconnected good?

diy for the start button..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...many-pics.html

did a search and came up with these old posts like yours..
see #9&#10.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-stalling.html
only one above that came close to your problem. then again wasnt exactly the same

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-12-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: comment
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe check out the mass airflow sensor.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Brian05
Cruising

I just ran the codes with the hypertech programmer and it came back clean.
How do I check the mass air meter?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brian05
I just ran the codes with the hypertech programmer and it came back clean.
How do I check the mass air meter?
Maybe it is dirty or damaged.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Brian05
Cruising

Any suggestions on how to clean the mass air meter w/o damaging it.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brian05
Any suggestions on how to clean the mass air meter w/o damaging it.
I am sorry, I do not remember what we used last time to clean it. I had Victor at Corvettes of Houston do it.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you tried uninstalling the Hypertech? As far as I know there was never a hypertech made for the 2005 corvette, Diablo is the only handheld programmer for 2005. If the programmer you have is for a newer model corvette, then that is your problem

make sure your mass air flow sensor is not installed backwards lol. there should be an arrow on the outside of the sensor showing which direction the air will flow into the engine.

When the car dies does it sputter, spit, jerk, anything to indicate to you that its about to die?
Have you checked the spark plugs? How many miles are on the car?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Remove the air bridge and SPRAY MAF cleaner on the sensor wires. Flush off the oil and dirt. DO NOT TOUCH the MAF sense wires as they are very easily damaged. Allow the MAF cleaner to evaporate. Check your filter while you have all the air ducting apart and clean /replace it if it’s dirty or damaged (all sucked together and deformed)

Hey,, don’t forget to also check the cabin air filter on the passenger’s side fire wall also!!

While the air ducting is apart,, CLEAN the Throttle Body and throttle blade with brake parts cleaner and make sure that the Throttle blade operates freely.

You may have a vacuum leak OR the air ducting between the MAF and the Throttle body could have a leak.

The engine uses the MAF to meter the air that the engine uses. It then adds the correct amount of fuel. If there is a leak between the MAF and the TB, it can and will effect engine efficiency and idle.

A vacuum leak will for sure cause IDLE problems!

Check the PCV hose and fittings and make sure that they are not loose and damaged.

Bill
Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Remove the air bridge and SPRAY MAF cleaner on the sensor wires. Flush off the oil and dirt. DO NOT TOUCH the MAF sense wires as they are very easily damaged. Allow the MAF cleaner to evaporate. Check your filter while you have all the air ducting apart and clean /replace it if it’s dirty or damaged (all sucked together and deformed)

Hey,, don’t forget to also check the cabin air filter on the passenger’s side fire wall also!!

While the air ducting is apart,, CLEAN the Throttle Body and throttle blade with brake parts cleaner and make sure that the Throttle blade operates freely.

You may have a vacuum leak OR the air ducting between the MAF and the Throttle body could have a leak.

The engine uses the MAF to meter the air that the engine uses. It then adds the correct amount of fuel. If there is a leak between the MAF and the TB, it can and will effect engine efficiency and idle.

Check the PCV hose and fittings and make sure that they are not loose and damaged.

Bill
Good info.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Brian05
Cruising

Tikiman12
Car has 47k miles. I have not checked the spark plugs. The car does nothing to indicate that its dying. It just shuts off. I can be at a red light, or cruising on the freeway on cc and it just shuts off. I put the car in park and it fires up like nothing happens.

I will unprogram the chip, and clean the MAF

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

OK,, thats a little more info. The only way the car can just SHUT OFF is with the IGNITION SWITCH or a loss of power.

To see if you loose power,,, DO YOU LOOSE stuff like trip fuel mileage, HUD settings, memory settings ect when this happens. Set the Trip A and Trip B odometer, get some miles on them and see if the miles go to ZERO at stall.

You still could be loosing poser to a specific module thru a defective relay or connector.

Have you seen ANY other symptoms at the time of stall.

The C6 has a very complicated CRANK / Ignition circuit. This might be tough to figure out. There has to be ONE thing that that happens when it stalls/shuts off that will lead us to a place to look for the answer. We just have to figure it out.

If your not loosing power to the entire car, you have to be loosing power to the PCM or something that turns OFF the engine. But,, how would it just start back up like normal each time.

This may come down to visiting a SHOP with a GM TECH2. That will allow them to see what is being turned off.

BC

BC

Bill
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Brian05
Cruising

Thanks bill,
I just took the programming out of the car. I was wrong. I thought it was hypertech, it actually is super chips. I tuned the car back to stock. I just cleanerd the Maf. Going for a test drive later today.

When I start the car back up after it dies, I do not loose anything. All the radio stations and memory seats, HUD all stay in memory.

Last edited by Brian05; 07-14-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Bill
Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Brian05
Cruising

Ok,
I drove the car a short distance. I cleaned the Maf, reset the computer, and out the water treatment in the gas tank. No problem yet.
I noticed my Maf is a Delphi! Are these stock?
Do you think I should try my stock air box?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

no need to redo/undo anything in the air cleaner area (unless you just want to). if your getting a check engine light with code(s) that points to MAF/filter/airleak problem then sure undo it.
odd surging and not running smoothly can be caused by maf/filter/airleak or even filter box letting air surge and not flow smoothly, in your case it just died at speed with no warning.

but if your CEL is not on and idles/runs smooth, i'd say your ok.

question... you said you reset the computer. why...did you have check engine light? did you mean that you cleared error codes?

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-15-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added question
Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I agree, it is not a MAF, if anything was wrong you would have got a code. My guess is there is someing in the ignition circuit that is loose. Could be a bad BCM. You may be losing power or basically a loose ignition or batt power wire going to the PCM. The Delphi MAF is stock for your car, all LS2's had it. It is a good MAF.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic stalling on freeway...please help

Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
I agree, it is not a MAF, if anything was wrong you would have got a code. My guess is there is someing in the ignition circuit that is loose. Could be a bad BCM. You may be losing power or basically a loose ignition or batt power wire going to the PCM. The Delphi MAF is stock for your car, all LS2's had it. It is a good MAF.
As Justin mentioned,,, the BCM could very well be the issue. The BCM for the C6 is not that reliable, especially the early ones.

If you suspect the BCM,, it may be beneficial for you to have someone use a TECH 2 to dig into the issue and see whats happening.

BC
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If you havn't already, check the connection at the fuse block. If loose it will exibit the exact symptoms you are seeing. Been there done that.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Brian05
Cruising

Chevydave
I took the super chip tune off the car. I had an aggressive tune. I also used it to check for any codes.

I drove the car 250 miles today. So far no problems.
The car ran perfect.

Is the dealership the only one that has the tech2 computer tester?
How much should it cost to test the bcm?

Quick Reply: Automatic stalling on freeway...please help