C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Retrofit and Track Prep Maintenance (many photos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default NPP Retrofit and Track Prep Maintenance (many photos)

I've been wanting to put a different exhaust on my 2007 C6 coupe since I purchased it in December. I've listened to all the clips and gone back and forth about what to do. I finally decided NPP was what I wanted (best of both worlds) and when I put on Headers with a nice X pipe I figure this will really shine.

I'm also preparing for my first HPDE Track day at Limerock Park in CT at the end of the month.. so, my friend Phil who owns a C5 Z06 and is an experienced motorhead said he would help me get all these things together and on the car. (Thanks Phil).

I searched for an NPP Take off from a 2008 (only year that would fit my '07) and found a great deal on a low mileage set from marc8090 (thanks Marc). Yesterday Phil and I got together to install the NPP Exhaust including the NPP in a Box from Top Flight http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-in-a-box.html, new Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads front and rear (for the track only), DOT-4 High Temp brake fluid (I went with Super Blue Racing), an Oil Change and to put on some GM Splash Guards while we had the wheels off.

I chose to use the Alternate Location for the NPP Box as outlined by TOP_FUEL in his excellent thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rofit-box.html.

I've got a bunch of photos of things I don't usually see on the other NPP threads, instructions, etc. I know a lot of your guys already know all this stuff, but for newbs like me this was a very informative day and I thought I'd share.

First we got the car totally off the ground with jacks, stands, etc. Phil uses one jack to lift one side on the front of the car enough to work the other jack under the front without hitting the splitter. Then we jack up the front and the back with wood blocks under the frame cross pieces. No metal to metal contact as the Magnesium frame will get messed up. Finally we lowered the car onto some ramps up front and stands at the rear frame.

We pulled of the factory Axle back mufflers after dropping the H Pipe.

Dropping the sway bar definitely makes this much easier.

With the exhaust off from the Cats back we were ready to run the Vacuum lines.

Starting in the Engine Comparment we dropped the NPP in a Box Vacuum line down behind the intake and around the Bell housing. You can see the connection for the EZ Tap at the front of the Intake.. has to be MUCH easier than trying to attach to that nipple at the back side on the intake. (Thanks Peter).

Worked the Vacuum line through the tunnel to the rear and dropped the head shield that sits above the mufflers to run over to the passenger side just behind the inner tail light.

Next we loose fit the exhaust back together with the NPP cans in place.

The vacuum lines runs to right behind the carpet at the rear of the trunk area. The holes behind the Passenger side inner tail light allow easy access to this area and you can keep the NPP control box inside the car without sacrificing space in one of your cargo compartments.

Connect all the vacuum lines at the rear.

The wiring is very straight forward and covered well in the instructions from Top Flight so I won't go into detail about that here. After we put all the lines on we adjusted the tips and tightenned up the exhaust. It took a little playing around to get everything straight.

Next... time for the brakes. On Phil's recommendation I selected Hawk HP Plus pads for our track day. Found a great price and ended up buying the Super Blue Racing DOT4 High Temp brake fluid as well.

Once the wheels off it's very simple to pull the brake pads out.

Had the rear Hawk pads on it about 10 minutes.

I also used this opportunity to install some GM Splash guards I've been wanting to put on. Just too many small chips around this area of the wheel wells from normal driving. I can't even keep up with the touchups. Hopefully these will solve this problem at one area and they totally look factory.

Next it was time to bleed the brakes and replace the fluid. Phil has a bleeder pump, but a lot of pedal pumping moves things along. We worked on one side at a time to get most of the fluid out of that side of the system and adding the Blue until we started to see it coming out the bleeder line. Then keeping pressure on the pedal to prevent any air getting sucked back up, he would close the bleed valve.

Now it was time to lower the car and admire our work. The NPP sounds great. It was a pleasure doing my run-ups to 65mph to bed the brake pads. Now my car finally sounds almost as nice as it looks! I imagine the ARH Headers will finish that part of the sound/performance puzzle. I think I'll have CoW put those on as I'll need a Tune from him to compliment the BOOSTER once the headers go on!

All in about 4 hours and a TON of new knowledge for me. THANKS PHIL... Can't wait to hit it at Limerock!!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome write up!

Be prepared to replace the drilled rotors after a few track days. Since they are an indicator of a Z51 car, I pulled my off before so I can put them back on if I ever sell the car.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Awesome write up!

Be prepared to replace the drilled rotors after a few track days. Since they are an indicator of a Z51 car, I pulled my off before so I can put them back on if I ever sell the car.
Thanks. We'll see how the rotors look after the first day. I'm putting the original pads back on after track day as the dust and noise from the Hawks HP Plus are not what I want day to day... So far my rotors show even wear and my brakes are great on the street.. The Hawks & hi temp fluid are to prevent the dreaded over-heated fade while going for it at the track.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
Thanks. We'll see how the rotors look after the first day. I'm putting the original pads back on after track day as the dust and noise from the Hawks HP Plus are not what I want day to day... So far my rotors show even wear and my brakes are great on the street.. The Hawks & hi temp fluid are to prevent the dreaded over-heated fade while going for it at the track.
When ready to switch rotors, suggest considering Carbotech. You can easily switch between their street and trackpad. Great modulation. They are clean and easy on the rotors.

Enjoy the track day!

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Retrofit and Track Prep Maintenance (many photos)

Quick Reply: NPP Retrofit and Track Prep Maintenance (many photos)