C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is to loud, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM
jster171
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My car is to loud, HELP!!

I've sifted through some of the exhaust threads, but didnt really find what I need. My car has Lg longtubes with GHL catback. After I had the cam etc installed it seemed to be even louder than before, now with aggravating drone. Outside, the car sounds wicked, but inside is just to loud to really enjoy the radio,cell etc, not to mention that I have to shut the car off at ANY type of drive through ( Burger King, bank). Back before the cam, I tried the B&B bullets, WAY LOUD, and I had the B&B route66 back before the headers. But I dont remember much about those. Advice please for those with the same or similar setup. Thanks!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jster171
I've sifted through some of the exhaust threads, but didnt really find what I need. My car has Lg longtubes with GHL catback. After I had the cam etc installed it seemed to be even louder than before, now with aggravating drone. Outside, the car sounds wicked, but inside is just to loud to really enjoy the radio,cell etc, not to mention that I have to shut the car off at ANY type of drive through ( Burger King, bank). Back before the cam, I tried the B&B bullets, WAY LOUD, and I had the B&B route66 back before the headers. But I dont remember much about those. Advice please for those with the same or similar setup. Thanks!!
These work incredibly well. Put them on my CTS-V which was too loud with headers and B&B exhaust. Like night and day and I gtech'd the same 0-60 times.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...2&autoview=sku
Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Zo6 Catbacks

From what i understand those who have the drone from headers + catbacks etc solved their drone problem by installing a stock ZO6 catback system with no loss of power. I have borla stingers and have a little drone around 1400-1600 rpm. I dont mind it but dont know if ill be able to say the same when I install LG LT'S next week ??
Old 10-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yea I had the same problem with my C5 when I went h/c with Borla Stingers. Neat for a car cruise but annoying to daily drive. Couldn't have a conversation in the car and my neighbors were glad when that car was stolen. Matter of fact exhaust woke me up and I got on the phone so fast to the cops they gave chase but couldn't catch it.

Here's the solution I went with on my C6. Stock mufflers for daily driving (love it, quiet as a mouse) and these for when I want to make some noise. And let me tell you, with a G5x3 these things roar when open.

Here's my write up and details.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1628234
Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coupe with the glass over the exhaust acts like an amphitheater for the noise.

I toned it down somewhat---that's relative to the ear/hearing.. with:
1. the roll of silencer butyl with aluminum backing....had to use 2 layers. pulled the carpet in the back up to install
2. also the aluminum plate above the mufflers got a coat of it too. the underneath of the car. I was afraid it would melt but it hasn't so far.
3. In addition to that I used a mat 1/2" thick type material with foam and butyl in it. Under the carpet as well.

All my labor........materials about $250.

What really helped the most is the 4.10's. It put the cruising rpm's at 2000+, no drone there.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:04 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Im curious about what you think of the g5X3 , Your instal is beautiful. Solves alot.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
Im curious about what you think of the g5X3 , Your instal is beautiful. Solves alot.

Thanks!

I love the G5x3. But I wouldn't do it without putting in thinner cometic gaskets to keep low end up. Only costs a couple of hundred extra.

Here's that write up if you are interested with sound clips and dyno sheets.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1769681
Old 10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
mitchm11741
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on the gear swap. It is a wonderful side benefit that the 4.10's boost the engine speed at cruise just enough to get above the annoying frequencies. The difference is dramatic, positive and noticeable. However, the result still may not be what you are looking for.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get an inline resonators, you can also add sound insulation to the inside of the cabin.

Or buy some Corsa's
Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I think its just those damm LG's, you need to take them off and sell them to me for lets say $500
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM
jster171
Racer

Originally Posted by vertC6
I think its just those damm LG's, you need to take them off and sell them to me for lets say $500
Not a chance in hell!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:29 PM
jster171
Racer

Looks like a I may go back to the B&B route 66 catback. A forum member is interested in a trade. We will see.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM
cfi_luz
Drifting

You can try Corsa's. I have them and even with heads, cam, headers, no cats, etc. there is no drone inside the cabin. Also the cam really changes the sound of corsa's... guys often ask if I have b&b, etc as the cam changes the typical motor-boat corsa idle.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
ZO6 Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Yea I had the same problem with my C5 when I went h/c with Borla Stingers. Neat for a car cruise but annoying to daily drive. Couldn't have a conversation in the car and my neighbors were glad when that car was stolen. Matter of fact exhaust woke me up and I got on the phone so fast to the cops they gave chase but couldn't catch it.

Here's the solution I went with on my C6. Stock mufflers for daily driving (love it, quiet as a mouse) and these for when I want to make some noise. And let me tell you, with a G5x3 these things roar when open.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 AM
ZO6 Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by jster171
"If its too loud your too old" Just Kidding
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 AM
ZO6 Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe_G

Hey Joe G -Those are the QTP Electric cut-outs! who did the welding, install and wiring? I had a single on my 02 Camaro SS -Certified muffler (In Margate) did the welding & install but wouldn't do the wiring. The guy who did my wiring is MIA. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 AM
ZO6 Fan
Pro

Whoops -never mind just clicked on your thread :o

Get notified of new replies

To My car is to loud, HELP!!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
jster171
Racer

I'm gonna go ahead and trade a member my GHL for his B&B Route66. Hopefully it will be the "Volume" I'm looking for. I've installed all of my previous catbacks as well as headers, but I'm catching heck removing this one. Those "slip fit" pipes arnt wanting to let go!! Maybe a light tap with a rubber mallet will help. I'll let yall know the outcome once the B&B's are installed.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 PM
cfi_luz
Drifting

I thought the portion that differentiated the route 66 from the bullets was in the area where your x-pipe is now? If that's the case I'm not sure you can run them with headers. I may be wrong but double check first!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whatever route you take, you might want to consider doing some interior insulatoin-> maybe crazy cowboy and second skin

Quick Reply: My car is to loud, HELP!!