C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 05 LMB Coupe just died..Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 05 LMB Coupe just died..Help

This is my 4th corvette and my 1st post. I really need help.
The other day, I was blasting CD player when all of a sudden, it just froze. It continued to play, but i could not udjust the volume, switch track or even turn it off.

I took it to the dealer yesterday, they called and said it need a new radio(1SB Bose premium w/ 6cd changer) they said it would be in today. (I know some have waited weeks) Anyway, I picked it up today and it worked for about 5 minutes then same problem except this time it did not turn off even when i turned the car off. And it gets worse, then car would not start or respond to the remote, I had to use the lever to get out of car. Waited for riodside assist when they got there we got it started and he was following me back to dealerwhen i got about 10 DIC messages and to sertvice car soon and it just died in the middle of the street. Got it stasrted again but it would not move out of park, windows would not move etc all electrical components went completely bonkers. Got to dealer (who by the way waited an hour after they closed for me).It would not turn off for several tries.

HELP WHAT IS GOING On (its obviously not the radio)
should I contact GM yet. This seems like very serious problem. Car is an A4 Z-51 bone stock.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:07 AM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I feel your pain. I had an intermittent "failure to start" problem 2300 miles from home.

Turned out to be a loose/corroded/dirty/all-of-the-above terminal block to the fuel pump.

Intermittent troubles are the worst type of problem and do cause feelings of panic, but usually trace down to a single mechanical or electrical device.

Give your dealer some time to track down the problem - GM can't help you just yet and right now you want all the cooperation and sympathy that you can get from the service techs and managers.

Siccing GM on them before they have had a chance to do their job will not win any friends, nor will it solve the problem.

Good luck to you, and keep us informed here.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:11 AM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Thanks, I agree about not siccing GM onb Dealer, in fact the service guy that stayed there for an hour waiting for me and had a loaner for me, is the one that sd maybe get gm rep on this early, he was very cool.
I just hope they can ID the problem. What could make the radio not respond to any input?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:07 AM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

sounds like a serious electrical short, probably in one central point that affects many functions.

Where is not for guessing, the C6 has 14 computers - your service tech will track it down, hopefully fast.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 AM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Talked to service manager they are thinking it may be a loose ground somewhere on car , (they think maybe left rear because when the move that part of car it reacts, but the really are not sure of anything yet.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

The fuel pump terminal block that was my problem is left rear.

That blocks has at least 4 contacts, and is a known trouble point.

Some specifics at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1123734

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:12 PM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Thank you for the suggestion I am notifying service mgr now
Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
rjjwii
Intermediate

I just talked to service they said that GM instructed them to check the whole car. They said they have alot of the interior out. This obviously concerns me regarding putting it back together tightly. How concerned should I be?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 PM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Sitting on pins and needles is normal, but don't get too panicked.

Many of us have the same 10 pounds of C6 GM Service Manuals that your service techs are using, and they are very detailed, with torque specs for every bolt, etc.

You won't know it was disassembled afterwards.

hang in there.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:09 AM
rjjwii
Intermediate

A quick update... talked to service tech today, he thinks he has isoluted the problem to an XM module that resides in the left rear part of the car.
Still don't know when I will get it back. I hope soon.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:14 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjwii
A quick update... talked to service tech today, he thinks he has isoluted the problem to an XM module that resides in the left rear part of the car.
Still don't know when I will get it back. I hope soon.
The XM module talks with the radio via the car's Class II bus. Also sharing that bus are the BCM and the RDLR (receives the fob signal). If the Class II bus is shorted or otherwise jammed, the car won't recognize the fob, or many of the switches and buttons in the car. Most of the important signals (for ECM, TCM, etc) use the GMLAN, but the BCM mediates between the Class II bus and the GMLAN, so problems on the Class II bus can show up as error messages for things on the GMLAN.

I know it sounds crazy that a problem with the wiring to the satellite radio module can kill the car, but the way the car's data buses work, it is possible.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:26 AM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Thanks shopdog very informative. I can't wait to get it back.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Received an update. They have ordered the XM module
and will be about a week. I'm not sure if they are sure that this is the problem, or if it is the best guess.

Will update later.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:17 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this sounds silly, but I assume someone tested the battery voltage while the car was running and at the point when it shuts down. Low battery voltage is the #1 cause of "freakish" behavior and strange DIC messages. Hopefully you're not going through all of this just due to a faulty battery!

Oh, and are they giving you the car back while they get the XM module? If they know that's the problem, they can easily pull the XM module and just leave it out of the loop until the new one comes in. That way you won't have to wait a week to find out that the XM module wasn't the problem either (if that happens).

Mike
Old 08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
rjjwii
Intermediate

They are not giving the car back. In fact they said the car was not driveable, yet when I asked the serv mgr if it will stay inside. He sd they will "bring it in" I naturally asked how they got it outside, he did not know.
All in all they have they have treated me well. I just dont think they know if this is the problem or not.
Keeping my hopes high.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:15 PM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

did they give you a "warranty" loaner car?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:52 PM
rjjwii
Intermediate

A "lovely malibu", that I immediately hid in the garage.
and I'm driving the infiniti fx

Get notified of new replies

To My 05 LMB Coupe just died..Help

Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjwii
They are not giving the car back. In fact they said the car was not driveable, yet when I asked the serv mgr if it will stay inside. He sd they will "bring it in" I naturally asked how they got it outside, he did not know.
All in all they have they have treated me well. I just dont think they know if this is the problem or not.
Keeping my hopes high.
Makes no sense to me. IMHO, I'd call them and tell them to put the car back together and leave the XM module removed. If they are confident that it is the XM module, they should be putting your car back together anyway and the module is just a plug-in module which means you could certainly drive the car without it and bring it in when they have the module.

I see no reason for them to keep a car and say you can't drive it because of an XM module they can unplug and plug back in without any disassembly of the car. Sounds to me like they really still have no idea what is causing the problem and they are guessing, and that means that you may be without your car for a week before they figure out that the XM module isn't the problem. At that point, you start over.

Mike
Old 08-30-2005, 01:48 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Makes no sense to me. IMHO, I'd call them and tell them to put the car back together and leave the XM module removed. If they are confident that it is the XM module, they should be putting your car back together anyway and the module is just a plug-in module which means you could certainly drive the car without it and bring it in when they have the module.

I see no reason for them to keep a car and say you can't drive it because of an XM module they can unplug and plug back in without any disassembly of the car. Sounds to me like they really still have no idea what is causing the problem and they are guessing, and that means that you may be without your car for a week before they figure out that the XM module isn't the problem. At that point, you start over.

Mike

If the problem were the XM module, simply unplugging it would clear the problem. If, as is more likely, the problem is in the harness to the XM module, replacing the module won't cure the problem. Or, they could simply be guessing wrong, and the XM module and harness have nothing to do with the problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:00 PM
rjjwii
Intermediate

Well The dealer called and my car was ready to go,
I picked it up and so far so good. I wasnt expecting them to be done till next week. You guys were right,
I cannot even tell they had it apart. All in all service department did well. (Chevy dealer in Newtown PA).

Thank You all for your responses.

Quick Reply: My 05 LMB Coupe just died..Help