Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Engine blew @ 129 mph at strip

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
Here we go with the SS valve witch hunt.

You mean just like the OEM valve witch hunt?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by EViL427
Is that an inference to what you discovered in your recent Spintron testing?

This.....

Its why I am waiting for results before I do anything. The valve may be stronger and not break... but what else is the heavier valve doing at high RPM and what long term effects.

Last edited by propain; 06-04-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
This.....

Its why I am waiting for results before I do anything. The valve may be stronger and not break... but what else is the heavier valve doing at high RPM and what long term effects.
Though I linked to one of his prior posts which name the shop, nobody knows yet what caused this failure. Nor what springs were in his heads.

Seems his work was done a little over 4 years ago.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,091 Posts

This.....

I can tell you now that my engine is apart that the stock lifters don't do so well with .700 lift rated dual valve springs and SS exhaust valves. I will have pictures of that mess later today. Morel lifters are going back in it. Some unforeseen damage must have been there from the previous Lethal cam and my multiple treks to 7000+ RPM. The cam that's in it now has a new lobe design that is much easier on the valve train and the lift isn't as high as what came out of it. I haven't been driving it near as hard as I used to (well, except the monster burnout that blew the spider gears. Doh! ). So there had to be some preexisting wear that finally came to a head.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Though I linked to one of his prior posts which name the shop, nobody knows yet what caused this failure. Nor what springs were in his heads.

Seems his work was done a little over 4 years ago.

Well if its 4 years of "Drove it like he stole it" with track abuse and all... seems like it could be anything...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madsen
To answer a couple of questions
I was over 7000 Rs. But had done this many times. =. Driver error
After the first failer, we did re build heads. Same builder took them off later because of problems burning oil "2qts in 380 miles" after that repair car ran great.
CMS tuned the car, after a long haul of messing with other guys tune. It ran better than ever.

I may have pushed the Rs to much am am fully responable fo that. We will stay in touch with you guys after we in crack what's left of the engine, and yes pictures.

I need to take some responsablty as I took it and drove it hard at the strip, and a few times on the road. I would say the "vast majority" of the driving experiance was fully legal street driving. It is sad that we all are a bit uneasy due to the trigger of possible failer with this engine.
If I was 50 years old I would upgrade to a newer Z or a ZR1 my car has been paid for for years, and I put monies into other areas to make it better. I will keep it and pass it along to someone in years to come. It will be a great car when I sell it as I would never pass undisclosed damage to someone else.
You refer to 50 as casually as I might refer to 25. I just hope that I am tearing it up like you when I am your age.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by mdaniel
A built motor. Why would 7200 RPM be an issue?
Well I don't want to speculate what the failure was until it is determined, but was the valvetrain package tested to determine the limiting speed?

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Really sucks, but OP seems to have a positive attitude. I tip my hat to some of you guys, I was ready to sell my car after the Trans failed... if my motor blew, I would be driving the thing to the scrap yard!

Was the 2nd motor cammed too?
Well, if your motor blew, you wouldn't be "driving" it anywhere.

From reading his prior posts, both his motors were cammed.

The first one cam only, failed in short order in late 2008 early 2009.

The second one, and the one which blew this past weekend, was done in February of 2009.

Will be interesting to see what the cause if death with this one was.

But 4 years with the cam and on the same springs, if he was on the same set of springs, probably didn't help things.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Well, if your motor blew, you wouldn't be "driving" it anywhere.

From reading his prior posts, both his motors were cammed.

The first one cam only, failed in short order in late 2008 early 2009.

The second one, and the one which blew this past weekend, was done in February of 2009.

Will be interesting to see what the cause if death with this one was.

But 4 years with the cam and on the same springs, if he was on the same set of springs, probably didn't help things.

I seriously doubt he was on the same springs running SS valves and a Cam. Ya never know though...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve i am very sorry to hear this... i know you have been through a lot with this car... really sucks to hear, as it was finally running as it should... please let me know if i can help in any way...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I was on PSI springs with a cam at 531 rwhp for 4 years before I redid my heads for more power mostly. My guides were in spec and everything looked A+ when I tore it down. Wish I tested the springs, they could have been caput, but I cannot say. Had about 100 drag passes on that setup, lots of time on the limiter there and on the street.

I have always wondered if some that thought the track cars were cooking guides from heat were actually wearing prematurely from worn springs. Seems odd my car and my friends car both had guides in spec with cams (1 in 10 anecdotally from what we've seen?), coincidentally while using PSI springs, not OEM springs. Again, who knows.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

As promised. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage

I have always wondered if some that thought the track cars were cooking guides from heat were actually wearing prematurely from worn springs. Seems odd my car and my friends car both had guides in spec with cams (1 in 10 anecdotally from what we've seen?), coincidentally while using PSI springs, not OEM springs. Again, who knows.
Given the touchy nature of the topic, I have to state that I'm not trying to debate or argue, this is a legit question.

What influence do you think worn springs have over wearing out guides? Just curious what you think the relationship is.

I do find your theory interesting. It would be very interesting if the fix all along was to change out the valve springs. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to what plagued the LS6. Though those failed in a different way.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EViL427
As promised. What's wrong with this picture?

Somebody's been to the barbershop

Wasn't that noisy?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I need to take some responsablty as I took it and drove it hard at the strip, and a few times on the road.

What is wrong with you?how old are you? you can't take responsibility for anything, my god, blame someone, something...lol
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I do find your theory interesting. It would be very interesting if the fix all along was to change out the valve springs. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to what plagued the LS6. Though those failed in a different way.
I had the same thoughts. GM does seem to make similar mistakes throught the years.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Somebody's been to the barbershop

Wasn't that noisy?
Yes, it was.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...hat-noise.html

Apologies for derailing the thread. Just thought it interesting to note that there are other things to worry about than the springs, the guides and the SS valves in these engines when modified.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine blew @ 129 mph at strip

Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear op. and as much as I hate to say it. sounds like an ss valve failed on you. that or a valve spring. if the guides are checked and out of spec. then thats all I'll need to know and at that point I'll be selling. as much as I love the car it wasn't built well it seems. and I've been wanting to mod a ctsv anyway

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 06-04-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Sorry to hear op. and as much as I hate to say it. sounds like an ss valve failed on you. that or a valve spring. if the guides are checked and out of spec. then thats all I'll need to know and at that point I'll be selling. as much as I love the car it wasn't built well it seems

Yes it does. Now to the other questions: Why.

How many miles on the car since the build?

Im surprised to hear this attitude from you Tanner. But I agree... if doing all the head work with the guides and the SS valve still failed.... well.... as I always feared, its a much bigger problem than just throwing stronger parts at it.

Last edited by propain; 06-04-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it does. Now to the other questions: Why.

How many miles on the car since the build?

Im surprised to hear this attitude from you Tanner. But I agree... if doing all the head work with the guides and the SS valve still failed.... well.... as I always feared, its a much bigger problem than just throwing stronger parts at it.
you shouldn't be I tell it how it is. only 3 things could do this valve kissed a piston from a week or broke spring. valve failure from a valve or a broken ring land. or wornout guides Op if you can have those guides speced at some point would be great info for the forum. sorry for your 2nd engine.good luck

Quick Reply: [Z06] Engine blew @ 129 mph at strip