Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Let's Play, "What's That Noise?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Default Let's Play, "What's That Noise?" - SOLVED - Bad Lifter(s)

UPDATE 5/23/2013

The sound turned out to be a bad lifter that came apart and was grinding against the cam lobe. If you read through the thread, you will see a picture of the damage done to the camshaft. This is for anyone else who happens to encounter the noise(s) that it was creating (rhythmic squeaking and eventually a grinding sound).

Aside from a replacement Phantom cam (with many thanks to Shawn David at Lethal Racing for a quick turnaround and excellent customer service and to Terry Wallace at Vetttech for putting up with me and my frequent questions ), car is now getting upgraded with Morel hydraulic roller lifters, the larger capacity OEM dry sump tank, and the Aviaid tank insert and windage tray, holding true to my philosophy, "If it breaks, upgrade!"

Intermittent, rhythmic squeaking that changes frequency with RPMs. My guess is the belt, but hoping it isn't an exhaust leak. Sound familiar to anyone?

Car still runs like a raped ape.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated before I tear into it.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-23-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Updating with results
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bearing on the tensioner? Spray a little WD40 on it to see if it quiets down.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have something similar. Close your hood and see if its easier to hear through the front grill.

DH
Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I have something similar. Close your hood and see if its easier to hear through the front grill.

DH
Oh, I can definitely hear it with the hood closed. Drives me nuts because I lost my Mild 2 Wild remotes and can't open the exhaust with the windows down to drown it out. I actually hit the belt with some conditioning spray and it seemed to help a bit. I will probably pull the belt, check the pullies, replace the belt (after all, it's over 5 years old with 29K miles on it) and then see where that gets me. All of the header bolts are still tight and I see no carbon residue anywhere around them.

Side note, anyone wondering whether their loud sewing machine sound when running headers, dual springs, and higher compression is normal can wonder no more. It has always sounded like that. Clackity, clackity, clackity... It's the squeak, squeaking that needs to die a horrible death.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It could be the bearing on the tensioner or idler pulley. Pull the belt off and see if it stops.

It can also be the tensioner leaning towards the front of the car from wear and allowing the belt to run ****-eyed across the pulley. That's the normal mode of failure for the tensioner part. It's not enough to see it.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, the verdict is in. I spent the weekend tearing into it only to find that it was not related to any of the accessories, pulleys or belts. After replacing a suspect idler pully and the main serpentine belt, the sound was still there. So I removed both belts and fired it up - still had the sound. Conclusion: Internal.

Pulled the valve covers, nothing. Pulled the intake and the valley cover - visible scoring on the camshaft. Verdict: Broken lifter(s) grinding against the cam lobes.

Gotta love it. And to think I just posted "no engine problems" in another thread. Lol! Damn it.

Note to others, when changing out your cam, make sure you change out the lifters also. Apparently those aren't all trouble-free, either. Glad I shut it down and inspected it and didn't keep driving. Who knows what could have happened.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Well, the verdict is in. I spent the weekend tearing into it only to find that it was not related to any of the accessories, pulleys or belts. After replacing a suspect idler pully and the main serpentine belt, the sound was still there. So I removed both belts and fired it up - still had the sound. Conclusion: Internal.

Pulled the valve covers, nothing. Pulled the intake and the valley cover - visible scoring on the camshaft. Verdict: Broken lifter(s) grinding against the cam lobes.

Gotta love it. And to think I just posted "no engine problems" in another thread. Lol! Damn it.

Note to others, when changing out your cam, make sure you change out the lifters also. Apparently those aren't all trouble-free, either. Glad I shut it down and inspected it and didn't keep driving. Who knows what could have happened.

Man that sucks. seems to be another common issue good luck on the fix
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Man that sucks. seems to be another common issue good luck on the fix
Thanks. It's undergoing surgery at Vetttech.

Replacement Phantom cam is inbound. Gotta love Shawn's exceptional customer service over there at Lethal Racing.

And, yeah, I've seen more than one thread involving stock GM lifters coming apart. Is that the next "sky is falling" thread?

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-21-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had scoring on my stock lifters and stock cam when I removed them, but they didn't come apart, they were still all in their correct format but the wheels and cam had some light scoring on them. You don't have any pics??
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by erichg1000
I had scoring on my stock lifters and stock cam when I removed them, but they didn't come apart, they were still all in their correct format but the wheels and cam had some light scoring on them. You don't have any pics??
I have a preliminary pic, but I can't access Photobucket at work. I'll put it up tonight. I'm sure I'll have more when the heads come off the car. The wheels actually came off. That's the grinding, squeaking I was hearing - the empty wheel socket in direct contact with the cam lobe.

Just ordered some Morel 5206 LS Pro Series Hydraulic Lifters. One less problem to worry about.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Tough luck and bad Karma .....

I replaced my lifters that looked good with 37K when the heads were redone.

Good luck.

DH
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

bad lifter....ooops I didn't see the rest of the posts.. good luck with the repair. its fairly common. maybe not so much in corvettes but ive done quite a few on ls motors in general.

Last edited by erikszr1; 05-21-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
bad lifter....ooops I didn't see the rest of the posts.. good luck with the repair. its fairly common. maybe not so much in corvettes but ive done quite a few on ls motors in general.
Glad you caught it in time!

Lesson to me read entire thread before posting!

Last edited by mariofromnewyork; 05-21-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a picture of the damaged lobe:

Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Original post updated for archival purposes in case anyone else encounters this noise.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

Glad you got this resolved.

UPDATE 5/23/2013...holding true to my philosophy, "If it breaks, upgrade!"
You must be in oil.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Landru
Glad you got this resolved.
Thanks. Me, too.

You must be in oil.
Negative. I wish. Otherwise I'd just forge the entire bottom end assembly while the car is apart and be done with it. I don't drive it like I stole it anymore, so I'm not as worried about the pistons giving out. At least it got a good shakedown where I was able to identify and replace the weak components. If I ever decided to sell it, the new owner could have solid peace of mind that it will be reliable going forward (knock on wood - haven't replaced the transmission yet, but the stock TR6060 should be plenty strong). And it has never seen drag radials and probably never will. R compound road race tires? Maybe in the future. We'll see.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's Play, "What's That Noise?"

Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Evil

Can you post a new video of your motors sound now. I am not sure which sound in your original video relates to the cam grinding. I have a rythmic sound too, but not sure what is ??

DH
Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you running running solid stem exhaust valves? The main reason I didn't switch to SS valves when I had wcch completely redo my heads was concern of the extra strain on the lifters. Could have been a random failure either way. Sorry to hear, best of luck on the fix.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles were on the lifters?

How many miles were on the performance springs you had?

My rule of thumb, personally, is change the springs at 10K and the lifters before 20K once you have a performance cam setup installed. A weak spring can allow a lifter to start bouncing. All valvetrain components are now considered consumables IMO.

But good catch, glad it didn't take out the beast. We should meet up sometime, you go to any events around here?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Let's Play, "What's That Noise?"