Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound

My 2006 Z with 15,000 miles started making a clicking sound from the rear wheels when I slowly take off going forward or in reverse. I heard that it might be the parking brake sticking or not releasing properly.
Has anybody out there had a similar problem or noise?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

It could also be loose axle nuts. TIL link below. I just torqued mine to 160 lb-ft and they have stayed tight for over a year.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...placement.html
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

My 08 was making a clinking noise due to the axle shafts moving around in the wheel bearings. Dealer had to replace both axle shafts and both wheel bearings to stop it. Once you get movement that means the both parts are worn and you have to replace both otherwise the old part will just cause the new part to wear faster and the noise will come back quickly.

As posted above sometimes tightening the axle nuts can quiet the noise and should be attempted first. Other times you need to look at lubing the splines where the two parts fit together and if none of that works then you need to look at replacement.

Bill
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Mine are doing the same thing...tightened up the axle nuts, same click sound :-|

Does this mean its time for new stuff Bill?? And is there something i should be worried about safety wise??
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Some times it can also be the sway bar links, but that should be more noticeable when you bend it into corners.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
P0LISH SAUSAGE
Instructor

I've been meaning to post a follow up to this thread...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-this-out.html

I had procrastinated long enough and finally took my car into before my bumper to bumper expired.

I am happy to report the dealer fixed my clicking!

Long story short...they replaced my axel nuts with new ones. Applied loctite and properly torqued, waited 24 hrs as prescribed in the TSB, no dice, still clicked. Next they replaced both rear sway bar end links, success!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. My car only has 15k miles. The sound I here is if you said the word "Clock". It does it once or twice as I slowly back the car out of my garage.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If all of the above suggestions don't solve the issue, try changing the differential fluid with the GM fluid & additive. I had the same clunk noise at low speeds until I changed the fluid. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by designertony
Thanks for the input. My car only has 15k miles. The sound I here is if you said the word "Clock". It does it once or twice as I slowly back the car out of my garage.

Is this a new sound? If not, it may just be a little slop in the drive line. I have had other cars that did that with no problem.

To check the axle nuts, all you need to do is have a torque wrench that goes to 160 lb-ft (or close, mine goes to 150) a short socket extension and a socket that fits your axle nut, they may be either 33mm or 34mm. You pop the wheel center cap (no need to jack up the car) and the nut is right there.

I wasn't sure what size my Z's axle nut was, so I popped the center cap and drove to the local Auto Zone that had both size sockets. I asked if I could check the size (they said yes) and found the 33mm fit my 09Z. I bought that one for about $8 and did find that both sides were only about 90-100 lb-ft. I tightened them to 150, then used a breaker bar to tighten them slightly more. I still periodically check them, but have never had them loosen up again. If they did, I'd get new GM nuts and Lock Tite them per the TIL in my post above.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Keith N
If all of the above suggestions don't solve the issue, try changing the differential fluid with the GM fluid & additive. I had the same clunk noise at low speeds until I changed the fluid. Good luck!
There is a DIY sticky note on how to change the dif fluid if you want to do that (I changed my dif and tranny fluids at 15K, but I do some HPDE's). After the fluid is changed, you will want to go to a parking lot and do some slow figure 8's to work the new fluid into the dif clutches. I used the factory dif (additive already in the fluid) and tranny fluids for the change. I did find the new tranny fluid reduced the cold start gear nibble on my TR6060 tranny (stock on 08 and newer Z's).

Dif fluid GM PN88862624
Tranny fluid GM PN88861800
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

That's pretty much how I would describe the sound my 09 Z was making, but more often than just backing out of the garage. My driver side rear axle nut was only at about 40 pounds torque, passenger side was tight. I torqued to 160 and that fixed it.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Tomorrow I will go to the local O'Reilly Auto Parts and buy a 33mm socket. My torque wrench has a maximum of 120Ft/Lb. I will post what the existing torque is.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I used a 34mm on my 09Z, it worked but it felt a little sloppy. You should be fine with a 33mm. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Today I went and bought a 33mm Socket and a new 0-150 ft-lb torque wrench so I could tighten the Axle Nuts. Before I tightened them I thought it would be a good idea to see what the existing torque is. The drivers side nut measured about 30 ft-lb and the passenger side about 100 ft-lb. I tightened them both to 150 plus a little extra and the clicking noise has gone away. You would think that the Dealer would check the torque as part of a routine service such as an Oil change. I do plan to do the loctite thing to the Nuts soon.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
designertony
Intermediate

AzDave47,
I remember you from last years Prescott Corvette Show. You were parked a few cars down from me. You asked to see the color of the Clutch Fluid on my car. It was dark and you told me athat it needed changing. I now replace the Clutch Fluid once a month.
13 members of our Green Valley, AZ Vette club will be in the show at the end of the month. Hope to see you there.
Tony
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

AzDave47,
I remember you from last years Prescott Corvette Show. You were parked a few cars down from me. You asked to see the color of the Clutch Fluid on my car. It was dark and you told me athat it needed changing. I now replace the Clutch Fluid once a month.
13 members of our Green Valley, AZ Vette club will be in the show at the end of the month. Hope to see you there.
Tony
Tony, I will be there so make sure to stop by and we can chat.

I'm glad tightening the axle nuts solved the clicking. I'd suggest you check it again 3 months from now or if you do track events check it the next day after it has cooled down. I have not had it loosen up since the first time I tightened them, but if the loose axle nut caused some damage, they may loosen up. If they do, the first thing to try is new axle nut/Loctite. If that doesn't hold, then an axle may need to be replaced (very small chance it was that bad for that long).
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Dave, The noise started about 3 months ago. I have hardly driven the car in the past 3 months due to the brutal hot summer we've had. So hopefully there isn't any damage. I have sent an email bulletin to all the members of our club to check this problem. I now have a number of requests to borrow my Torque wrench & 33mm socket!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Dave, The noise started about 3 months ago. I have hardly driven the car in the past 3 months due to the brutal hot summer we've had. So hopefully there isn't any damage. I have sent an email bulletin to all the members of our club to check this problem. I now have a number of requests to borrow my Torque wrench & 33mm socket!
I've done several of our club's cars in a parking lot and all bout one had at least one loose axle nut. The one that did not had extensive mods and was probably tightened during the mods.

I'm running the Silver State Challenge (140 MPH ave. class) this weekend and am doing the pre-event tech. I found my left rear axle nut at only about 90 lb-ft, so apparently that one has loosen'd up since I last checked several months ago. I've done one day at Willow Springs and the Mojave Magnum since I last checked. If I find it loose again, I'll get new axle nuts and Locktite them.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking sound

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clicking sound