Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvettes vs Porsches (Another Friday at the Track)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Cant tell if that 911 just carried too much corner speed and that rear weight bias got him or if he got on the gas too hard at the apex trying to pass that car in front before T5.
Jay might have more insight since he could see a bit more than his camera could, but here's my analysis: You can see the Porsche's right front roll up on the gators on the inside of 4, and the car was at too sharp a turn-in angle to withstand that. The heave from that combined with the aforementioned rear weight bias sent him sideways, and at that point it was all over.

jas
Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty unlikely that it was power induced oversteer. Even the most powerful Porsches plant the back end with throttle application.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Cant tell if that 911 just carried too much corner speed and that rear weight bias got him or if he got on the gas too hard at the apex trying to pass that car in front before T5. My guess is its #2, but T4 does have some bumps on the inside which might have upset his suspension and made either situation worse.
The problem wasn't carrying too much speed it was lifting in the turn, you don't do that in a porsche, that is a corner that handles a lot of speed and he should of been on the throttle.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie furman
The problem wasn't carrying too much speed it was lifting in the turn, you don't do that in a porsche, that is a corner that handles a lot of speed and he should of been on the throttle.

He lifted to slow the car down. He ran up on the car front of him and tried not to hit him. Once he lifted in mid-corner the back came around. He corrected, but forgot to unwind and when the car hooked again he had a snap oversteer. At that point it was over for him. He has experience, just not enough.

He had decent lines and did consistent late apexes. Couldn't tell from the video surely if he waited for point by's or not. I don't think he did. His lap times were nothing to write home about.

This happened late in the session when people get a little tired and loose focus.

I think he was trying to hang with Jason, but he could only do so when Jason was held up by traffic.

Great video. Should be shown as a training video...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
I think he was trying to hang with Jason, but he could only do so when Jason was held up by traffic.
That wasn't me, it was a grey C6 GS coupe that the 911 was chasing. The GS was faster than Jay, and Jay pointed him by earlier in the session. It was at that point that the 911 driver passed Jay.

I came up on that mess right after it happened. The driver that wiped out had no chance in hell of ever catching me... if that session was another 10 minutes or so, I'd have caught him instead.

jas

Last edited by jvp; 06-25-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Any of you guys ever run against a gt2 rs new body 911?Im curious to see how a zr1 would do against this 620 h.p lighweight 911.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ridden in one. A very capable car, possibly a ZR1 beater in the right hands.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I've ridden in one. A very capable car, possibly a ZR1 beater in the right hands.

I agree. I want a GT2RS but my budget only got me a ZR1. I added some Hoosier race tires and now I would challenge the GT2RS.

They must be amazing ... though my ZR1 is pretty amazing.

Brian
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
That wasn't me, it was a grey C6 GS coupe that the 911 was chasing. The GS was faster than Jay, and Jay pointed him by earlier in the session. It was at that point that the 911 driver passed Jay.

I came up on that mess right after it happened. The driver that wiped out had no chance in hell of ever catching me... if that session was another 10 minutes or so, I'd have caught him instead.

jas
That makes more sense and explaines his slow lap times.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

I must have missed the video with the aftermath of the Porsche in the haybales. Did he actually hit them - kind of looked like the end of the bales was near and that there was no collision? I know it was stated the P was near totaled, but it would be helpful to see the carnage.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
I know it was stated the P was near totaled, but it would be helpful to see the carnage.
No one got video of the actual damage. If you look at around the 17 minute mark of my session 2 video as I drive into the yellow flags, you'll see the Porsche parked off on the right side of the video, in the grass. He got there because he was launched off the tire wall and across the track. And that launch wasn't a soft one.

jas
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
No one got video of the actual damage. If you look at around the 17 minute mark of my session 2 video as I drive into the yellow flags, you'll see the Porsche parked off on the right side of the video, in the grass. He got there because he was launched off the tire wall and across the track. And that launch wasn't a soft one. jas
Just watche the video in HD - the tires looked like haybales at the lower definition - oh well.

So at the end of Jay's video, is the P car that appears after the dust the culprit or where is the culprit at that point??
Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

So at the end of Jay's video, is the P car that appears after the dust the culprit or where is the culprit at that point??
The Porsche that Jay comes up on in the cloud of dust is the one that was in the lead going down that hill. The culprit was parked off on the right side in the grass by that point. You see Jay looking to his right just as the video ended; he was looking at the P-car off the road.

jas
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Nice summary of track day. Thanks for sharing; videos too.

Must have been a hairy ride home in that storm!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
The Porsche that Jay comes up on in the cloud of dust is the one that was in the lead going down that hill. The culprit was parked off on the right side in the grass by that point. You see Jay looking to his right just as the video ended; he was looking at the P-car off the road. jas

Woah, WOW. What a ride that was. Looking closely you never see any sign of the the P car crossing the track and yet there it is?

Hey Jay, were you able to see it airborne?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Hey Jay, were you able to see it airborne?
I won't speak for him, but I don't think it actually went airborne. If you listen near the end of his video you can hear a lot of squealing rubber. That's the P-car skidding across the track after being bounced off the tires.

jas
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by range96

He lifted to slow the car down. He ran up on the car front of him and tried not to hit him. Once he lifted in mid-corner the back came around. He corrected, but forgot to unwind and when the car hooked again he had a snap oversteer. At that point it was over for him. He has experience, just not enough.
That was my impression as well, especially the part about running up on the car in front of him and trying to avoid it that put the following events in motion.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes vs Porsches (Another Friday at the Track)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Purvis
Pro

Amazing driving.. Just amazing.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
are you kidding me?!!!,...seriuosly,..i love vettes,..but the gt2 911 will KILL most ANYTHING it comes across,...that, and the gt3 rs,..are probably the BEST 911's made,..and are true track beasts that will smoke almost anything that gets in their way,[including most ferrari's!]...i think the zr1 would beat it in straight-line speed,..but NOT ON ANY SUSTAINED TRACK that i'm aware of,..i've never seen a vette beat this particular 911,..it's just not possible?,..i'd love to be proven wrong though,..as i LOVE the zr1!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by geezerman
are you kidding me?!!!,...seriuosly,..i love vettes,..but the gt2 911 will KILL most ANYTHING it comes across,...that, and the gt3 rs,..are probably the BEST 911's made,..and are true track beasts that will smoke almost anything that gets in their way,[including most ferrari's!]...i think the zr1 would beat it in straight-line speed,..but NOT ON ANY SUSTAINED TRACK that i'm aware of,..i've never seen a vette beat this particular 911,..it's just not possible?,..i'd love to be proven wrong though,..as i LOVE the zr1!
It is very possible. On equal tires (both on sport cups) the cars are very close. Sport Auto just tested the 2012 ZR1 on the Hockhenhiem Ring short course where they have times for 100s of cars. The ZR1 turned a time of 1:08.3 just besting the GT2RS time of 1:08.4. The ZR1's time was the fastest of any true production car they have tested at that track.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvettes vs Porsches (Another Friday at the Track)