Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MGW shifter rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
brit2001
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default MGW shifter rattle

I have a 2009 Z and had no issues with rattling of my stock shifter. I installe the MGW since I kept missing 3rd gear. Love the shifter but now it has developed a rattle in the up rev band in the first 3 gears. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, been living with it on my 07. I have the new updated MGW (stock shifter ****) just got it like 2 months ago. Have maybe 200 miles on the car since then. Chalked it all up to the price we sometimes pay with after market items. Would love to see a fix if there is one out there, love the shifter overall.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
SoCA04V
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I replaced the handle and the **** and it still rattles. I even tried putting a dab of gasket maker inside the handle with no success.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2006 Z06 with the newest MGW shifter version and I haven't experienced any buzzing or rattling issues. George at MGW recommended switching to a C6 shifter box (rubber bushings) to reduce the possibility of noise issues.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

I bought an MGW so I'd have the adjustable handle position, and because I loved the shifter I bought from them for my previous vehicle.
When it arrived, it had some new multi-piece handle assembly (to stop vibration/buzzing) that was never on their website or discussed on the phone when I made my order. Unfortunately the new design changes the handle design so it's no longer adjustable as they used to be.
The most annoying thing is I can't adjust my shifter handle as I wished to, and it buzzes.
Sweet.
I love the shifter feel, but otherwise that situation was extremely annoying.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
brit2001
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The shifter has been on for about 6 mo. and didn't rattle when I put it on. It just started recently. I love the shifter and I got there shift **** to go with it. I can live with it just alittle annoying.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

THIS RATTLE ESPECIALLY IN THE Z06 CARS HAS MADE ME LOSE MORE SLEEP THAN YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE!!!

the problem is mainly with the shifter box and the mounting of the rod. some cars rattle some dont but most z06 cars do benefit from the c6 base box swap.

BUT...

i am currently working on a NEW billet box to replace the factory piece of absolute dogshit because it is the only way to get it right!!!

i wont guarantee it will be completely noise free until i get into it but i will say that my protoype has reduced shift effort by almost 50 percent!!!!!:thu mbs: i am working on a unique way to both dampen the box AND make it firmer and more solid feeling than the base box is.

in the end its basically all about tradeoffs though. this shifter is rock solid and more race oriented than street oriented and the fact that chevy made such a lousy deisgn with this box makes it pretty challenging to make a shifter that is BOTH rattle free and solid not mushy like the OEM unit,.

i will have the box ready in febraury.

george
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
THIS RATTLE ESPECIALLY IN THE Z06 CARS HAS MADE ME LOSE MORE SLEEP THAN YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE!!!
Oh, I can imagine. The sheer randomness of this thing has driven everyone a bit nuts as well as created a ton of mythology, miunderstanding, and blame.

i am currently working on a NEW billet box to replace the factory piece of absolute dogshit because it is the only way to get it right!!!

george
Talk about above and beyond the call! I might get one just to have it (even though your initial recommendation to swap out my original Z06 box for the base box cured my rattle 100%.)

Serious and to you, George!!!

Z//
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM
OEFastZ06
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same rattle problem in my 09Z. I just ordered the stock C6 box and plan to replace it when it arrives. I hope it solves the problem. Love the shifter, hate the rattle.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

I have the rattle and tried pretty much everything. Had first version shifter..added std C6 box..added revised shifter...tape, foam, silicon, heavy 1lb ****..it's better but not 100%,,,I'd say 75%.
So George I'm in as soon as it's ready..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine has been rattling since day one. I love the shifter...so I deal.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM
swosanity
Racer

Wow this is a funny and timely thread. I can wait for the new product once proven. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM
OEFastZ06
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
I have the rattle and tried pretty much everything. Had first version shifter..added std C6 box..added revised shifter...tape, foam, silicon, heavy 1lb ****..it's better but not 100%,,,I'd say 75%.
So George I'm in as soon as it's ready..
George, I am in too! Let us know when it is ready!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

My 09 has no buzzing rattles with the MGW shifter.

I absolutely love mine. ALso have an MGW shift **** that looks so much better than the stock one. Great product George!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

My 08 Z06 with current MGW (original Z06 shift box and MGW racing grip) and NO rattle or buzzing at all. I am very happy as I was with the first MGW shifter that I had for my 05 coupe.

George is awesome to work with - the BEST costumer service I've ever had.

Jim
Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 AM
vvlf
Pro

Annnnnnd subscribed
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carnac
My 08 Z06 with current MGW (original Z06 shift box and MGW racing grip) and NO rattle or buzzing at all. I am very happy as I was with the first MGW shifter that I had for my 05 coupe.

George is awesome to work with - the BEST costumer service I've ever had.

Jim
The fact that George is still actively hunting down the cure to this problem and is still producing new versions and parts to that end says volumes about him and his philosophy. Everyone here should ask him/herself just how many business people in any arena would dedicate the amount of time, energy, and resources to such a thing these days. Be grateful that there are still a few such businesses left and that we have one of them here (several, actually.)

Make it a rule to support the good ones or there will soon be none left.

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To MGW shifter rattle

Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George

the problem is mainly with the shifter box and the mounting of the rod. some cars rattle some dont but most z06 cars do benefit from the c6 base box swap.

BUT...

i wont guarantee it will be completely noise free until i get into it but i will say that my protoype has reduced shift effort by almost 50 percent!!!!!:thu mbs: i am working on a unique way to both dampen the box AND make it firmer and more solid feeling than the base box is.

in the end its basically all about tradeoffs though. this shifter is rock solid and more race oriented than street oriented and the fact that chevy made such a lousy deisgn with this box makes it pretty challenging to make a shifter that is BOTH rattle free and solid not mushy like the OEM unit,.

i will have the box ready in febraury.

george
Looking forward to it George.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Tsar
Racer

Looking forward to the new piece George, hang in there bud. Just so I understand what to order in the manner on the base C6 shift box.. That is the item we have to trim down right? Has a metal ring around it? My stocker is torn anyway (no I didn't tear it lol) on the corner was about to order a new one but will avoid the Z one if this is all the same thing.

Anyone have the Base C6 shift box part number? My dealer always wants to work with a VIN when ordering parts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tsar
Just so I understand what to order in the manner on the base C6 shift box.. That is the item we have to trim down right? Has a metal ring around it? My stocker is torn anyway (no I didn't tear it lol) on the corner was about to order a new one but will avoid the Z one if this is all the same thing.

Anyone have the Base C6 shift box part number? My dealer always wants to work with a VIN when ordering parts.

Thanks in advance.

See Message #50 in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-reply-2.html

The two boots that sit over the shifter box are parts:

top: 15889889
bottom: 15216254

Only the boots need trimming, not the shifter box

Z//

Quick Reply: [Z06] MGW shifter rattle